Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tkoenig95
Topic Author

United FA Bases

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:05 pm

With the recent (long awaited) merge of sUA and sCO FAs, how are the bases looking junior and senior wise? I know IAH was very senior sCO but extremely junior sUA.

UA777EWRTLV

Re: United FA Bases

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 pm

I actually saw a breakdown of this information, based on post-merger numbers, however it only included bases in the 50 US states - it didn't include the numbers for LHR, FRA, NRT, HKG, or GUM.

Based on October 1 information, in the 50 US states (BOS, EWR, IAD, CLE, ORD, IAH, DEN, LAS, SFO, LAX, HNL), the overall most junior flight attendant base is currently Washington DC, followed by San Francisco, and then Newark/La Guardia. Strictly speaking for long haul flying, the most junior base is Newark, followed by Washington D.C., then followed by San Fransisco. Amongst the bases in the 50 US states, the overall most senior base is Honolulu, and the most senior base for long haul flying is Denver (which flies Denver-London and Denver-Narita).

okay

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Do they still recruit ar LHR?

CONTACREW

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm

okay wrote:
Do they still recruit ar LHR?

No all new hire FAs are based in mainland US locations only. The company recently awarded transfers into BOS and LAS bases that haven't seen any transfers in several years and BOS is one of the base options (ORD is another) that the classes currently in training are getting sent to.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

CobaltScar

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:14 pm

They recently announced new crew bases at SAN, PHX, and MCO which will shift seniority all around the system. The company also said they will be eyeing additional satellite bases too. Very interesting development but also pragmatic. Everyone knows that being based at home equals a much more content and long lasting employee.

jayunited

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:53 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
With the recent (long awaited) merge of sUA and sCO FAs, how are the bases looking junior and senior wise? I know IAH was very senior sCO but extremely junior sUA.

I think there needs to be more time to allow the dust to settle after such a long integration process. Take for instance hubs like EWR, SFO, LAX, and IAH; these hubs had their long haul network turn upside down when UA started to move around the wide body fleet. From what I’ve heard a lot of these senior FA’s especially at our coastal hubs move over to our transcon flights, if they had enough seniority some started flying Hawaiian routes, for the rest they had to find other domestic lines. Since this process took so long some of these FA’s that were displaced my be comfortable with the lines they have others might be anxious to get back on their previous international route. Look at EWR it is now one of the most junior FA bases for long haul international travel but that is because a lot of sCO metal was replace by sUA metal and lets not forget the outcry DCA based FA’s made when UA move a majority of the 764 fleet to IAD only to move those aircraft back to EWR because it would have displaced a lot of senior FA’s and they didn’t want their base decimated like LAX, SFO, IAH, and EWR. So I think as time goes on you will see a balacining of the scales there probably will be some senior FA’s who say I’m done with long haul which will open the door for FA’s in the middle of the pack who have been stuck flying domestic lines for years and have wanted to hold an international line but couldn’t because at first they didn’t have the seniority then the international flying was on the wrong metal, from the wrong hub. There are a lot of FA’s that fell into this catch 22 during this intergration process who now if those senior FA’s don’t jump back on the international routes have a shot at landing one of those lines while junior FA’s maybe bumped off some of these international lines that they become acustom to holding for a the past 6-7 years.

blooc350

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:44 pm

I don't know how these new junior flight attendants survive living in the most expensive cities in the world. Take for example, San Francisco/Bay Area. Making 6 figures in the bay means you're still low income. As a new flight attendant at United, isn't the take home salary around 20-30K a year? Like Jesus......why put your self through that? Poverty level wage and having to deal with the flying public? Hats off to those who choose this career path cause I could never do that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/us/bay-area-housing-market.html

CobaltScar

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:54 pm

blooc350 wrote:
I don't know how these new junior flight attendants survive living in the most expensive cities in the world. Take for example, San Francisco/Bay Area. Making 6 figures in the bay means you're still low income. As a new flight attendant at United, isn't the take home salary around 20-30K a year? Like Jesus......why put your self through that? Poverty level wage and having to deal with the flying public? Hats off to those who choose this career path cause I could never do that.

Now imagine how it was at Virgin America, who were some of the lowest paid FAs in the country and whos hub was SFO. Airlines try to take advantage of people by portraying the lifestyle as "glamorous" , and Virgin was the most guilty of this and took in young naive people and forced them to live 20 to a shack or roach motel in SFO on their poverty pay levels. Good riddance that labor bottom feeder is gone.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:57 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

Now imagine how it was at Virgin America, who were some of the lowest paid FAs in the country and whos hub was SFO. Airlines try to take advantage of people by portraying the lifestyle as "glamorous" , and Virgin was the most guilty of this and took in young naive people and forced them to live 20 to a shack or roach motel in SFO on their poverty pay levels. Good riddance that labor bottom feeder is gone.

SFO actually probably isn’t a terrible base for flight attendants who live in, say, the western half of the country and commute. There are many options into all three Bay Area airports, and flying into OAK and riding BART around to SFO isn’t hard.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

flyguy84

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:00 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
They recently announced new crew bases at SAN, PHX, and MCO which will shift seniority all around the system. The company also said they will be eyeing additional satellite bases too. Very interesting development but also pragmatic. Everyone knows that being based at home equals a much more content and long lasting employee.

They’re satellite bases, not full-on crew bases.
SFO

CobaltScar

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

SFO actually probably isn’t a terrible base for flight attendants who live in, say, the western half of the country and commute. There are many options into all three Bay Area airports, and flying into OAK and riding BART around to SFO isn’t hard.

Try being a reserve FA and making a two hour call out to get to SFO from the western half of the country. And those are the ones that were making sub- 20k a year. In SFO. And I think they even had to pay for their own accommodations during training.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:27 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

Try being a reserve FA and making a two hour call out to get to SFO from the western half of the country. And those are the ones that were making sub- 20k a year. In SFO. And I think they even had to pay for their own accommodations during training.

I’m not sure a defunct carrier angers you so much, but regardless, commuting is hard when you are on reserve no matter the base or carrier.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

FirstBizFlyer

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:58 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
[

I flew for VX for 8 years and it was a great company! You'd probably be best to keep your comments to yourself before speaking of something about which you know nothing. I commuted from Phoenix my entire time at the company and it was an easy commute. In fact, most of my coworkers were commuters. I'm sure UA new hire FAs would mostly be doing the same. I've now moved on to a legacy (not UA) and am finally based at home.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:11 pm

blooc350 wrote:

No one forces them to live anywhere, they are free to commute from wherever they like.
From my cold, dead hands

CALAV8R

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:18 pm

United also just announced to their Flight Attendants that they will be opening new satellite bases in Orlando, San Diego and Phoenix. Pretty good move for the commuting population.

CALAV8R

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:18 pm

United also just announced to their Flight Attendants that they will be opening new satellite bases in Orlando, San Diego and Phoenix. Pretty good move for the commuting population.

CobaltScar

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:04 pm

FirstBizFlyer wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
[

I flew for VX for 8 years and it was a great company! You'd probably be best to keep your comments to yourself before speaking of something about which you know nothing. I commuted from Phoenix my entire time at the company and it was an easy commute. In fact, most of my coworkers were commuters. I'm sure UA new hire FAs would mostly be doing the same. I've now moved on to a legacy (not UA) and am finally based at home.

Yeah a great company that almost never turned a profit despite taking turns with Frontier for being bottom of the list as far as pay and benefits went out of all the majors. Oh and no longer exists.

Did I mention they did not even provide accommodation during training? Training that was in San Francisco???? What a joke.

N649DL

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 pm

CALAV8R wrote:

Interesting. What does a "satellite base" mean exactly for UA? Up until now, it's all been bases or hubs.

blooc350

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:31 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

No one forces them to live anywhere, they are free to commute from wherever they like.

Yes, a brand new flight attendant on probation would love to commute.....ohhhh bring on the stress of not making on that flight and maybe even losing a new job.

MIflyer12

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 pm

No U.S. carrier is forcing anyone to be a Flight Attendant. It's not 1950s, run into Aleksander Solzhenitsyn in a Soviet gulag.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm

blooc350 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

Yes, a brand new flight attendant on probation would love to commute.....ohhhh bring on the stress of not making on that flight and maybe even losing a new job.

You do understand that nearly everyone does it. I don't feel bad for a UA FA doing it, to be honest. I feel bad for the regional FA's doing it.
From my cold, dead hands

Coexstud

Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:19 am

N649DL wrote:
CALAV8R wrote:

Interesting. What does a "satellite base" mean exactly for UA? Up until now, it's all been bases or hubs.

Not true S-ual has had a satellite base in LAS and MSP both start and end trips at there respective home airports but technically if you have a meeting you report to either ORD for MSP or I think LAX for LAS. Not hubs

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:35 am

CobaltScar wrote:
Everyone knows that being based at home equals a much more content and long lasting employee.

Sure. But why should UA care about that?
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

CobaltScar

Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:42 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
Everyone knows that being based at home equals a much more content and long lasting employee.

Because they spend a lot of money feeding, housing and training new FAs for 5 weeks, only to see far too many quit or get fired because of the commute and not being able to make their commutes. Also during heavy IROPs , all those commuters can't get into position for recovery. Bases with a high percentage of people living in base are more reliable at those times.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:46 am

CobaltScar wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

Because they spend a lot of money feeding, housing and training new FAs for 5 weeks, only to see far too many quit or get fired because of the commute and not being able to make their commutes. Also during heavy IROPs , all those commuters can't get into position for recovery. Bases with a high percentage of people living in base are more reliable at those times.

Right. But it still compares favorably enough against higher seniority wages that it works for them.

These things don't have to be pretty to be functional.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

strfyr51

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 am

blooc350 wrote:

https://w%20ww.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/us/bay-area-housing-market.html

very few FA's based at SFO Live in the SFO Area. Many have Crash pads they share with other Flight attendants. I know mechanics who own houses and condos in the area and rent them to flight attendants. quite a few live in outlying areas, as far away as Fairfield near Travis AFB. They can Uber in or take Bart to the airport..
I was based in Chicago and have a home near Travis It isn't that expensive to commute.
\

Jamake1

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:21 am

Coexstud wrote:
Not true S-ual has had a satellite base in LAS and MSP both start and end trips at there respective home airports but technically if you have a meeting you report to either ORD for MSP or I think LAX for LAS. Not hubs

Nope. This is not factually correct. LAS is not technically a satellite base. It is technically what the company and AFA refer to as a “modified co-terminal” to LAX. LAX oversees the management of LAS. The proposed satellite bases at MCO, PHX, & SAN will likely have vastly different terms than what LAS is for UA. MSP has never been a base at UA and is still is not today.
Come fly the sun.

N649DL

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Coexstud wrote:
N649DL wrote:
CALAV8R wrote:

LAS has always been a full-on crew base for UA I believe, not satellite. Recall MSP was something of a satellite base, perhaps PHL as well.

Coexstud

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:53 am

Jamake1 wrote:
Coexstud wrote:

Nope. This is not factually correct. LAS is not technically a satellite base. It is technically what the company and AFA refer to as a “modified co-terminal” to LAX. LAX oversees the management of LAS. The proposed satellite bases at MCO, PHX, & SAN will likely have vastly different terms than what LAS is for UA. MSP has never been a base at UA and is still is not today.

Semantics coterminal satalite, I know MSP was a satalite base as I had a few dozen friends who worked every trip starting from MSP to ORD or where ever they routing took them

Ionosphere

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 am

MSP is a satellite FA base for AA

PHL was a UA FA base until the bankruptcy

cle757

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:42 am

What is the difference between a satelite base and a full base?
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

cle757

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:44 am

Cleveland the best location in the Nation

PBITran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:45 am

N649DL wrote:
Coexstud wrote:
N649DL wrote:

LAS has always been a full-on crew base for UA I believe, not satellite. Recall MSP was something of a satellite base, perhaps PHL as well.

LAS flight attendants report to LAX supervisors. Certain LAX supervisors fly to LAS for about 2-3 days a week.

N649DL

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:59 am

cle757 wrote:

Why post it twice?

As far as I know, LAS functions like a regular non-hub base like BOS does.

usxguy

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 am

FirstBizFlyer wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
[

Except you had no work rules, were paid less than most regionals, had horrible management, and crew scheduling was viewed as "el diablo". I'm not sure I know of anyone who "misses" the pay, work rules, contract, or relationship with Management at VX. They miss the product, service standards, uniform, and camaradere, but that's about it. I think the VX FA group has seen a 50% bump in pay, no?
xx

rbavfan

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:13 am

CobaltScar wrote:

You don't think thats part of the plan. The more senior that quit the lower the cost are for them. So not being based at home making them not content or long lasting saves them money long term.

Pbb152

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:15 pm

N649DL wrote:
cle757 wrote:

Why post it twice?

As far as I know, LAS functions like a regular non-hub base like BOS does.

How have you been Tommy?

caverunner17

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:58 pm

UA777EWRTLV wrote:
I actually saw a breakdown of this information, based on post-merger numbers, however it only included bases in the 50 US states - it didn't include the numbers for LHR, FRA, NRT, HKG, or GUM.

Based on October 1 information, in the 50 US states (BOS, EWR, IAD, CLE, ORD, IAH, DEN, LAS, SFO, LAX, HNL), the overall most junior flight attendant base is currently Washington DC, followed by San Francisco, and then Newark/La Guardia. Strictly speaking for long haul flying, the most junior base is Newark, followed by Washington D.C., then followed by San Fransisco. Amongst the bases in the 50 US states, the overall most senior base is Honolulu, and the most senior base for long haul flying is Denver (which flies Denver-London and Denver-Narita).

I thought the 787 crews that flew DEN-NRT/LHR were deadheaded in on the inbound 787 flight from LAX/IAD

I would have also thought that the most senior long haul base would have been SFO given the number of TPAC/TATL flights and that it used to be the main 747 base, which I thought was the most senior aircraft in the fleet.

CONTACREW

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm

caverunner17 wrote:
UA777EWRTLV wrote:

I thought the 787 crews that flew DEN-NRT/LHR were deadheaded in on the inbound 787 flight from LAX/IAD

I would have also thought that the most senior long haul base would have been SFO given the number of TPAC/TATL flights and that it used to be the main 747 base, which I thought was the most senior aircraft in the fleet.

Before the integration DEN-LHR was flown out of NTA and DEN-NRT was flown out of HTA/HOS.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

UA777EWRTLV

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:44 pm

caverunner17 wrote:
UA777EWRTLV wrote:

Now that the work groups are merged, staffing levels are balanced in each base so that, for the most part, each base handles its own long haul flying. So, Denver now staffs it’s own flights from DEN to NRT and LHR. The only exception is a long haul flight from one base to another, where sometimes it’s a split crew; EWR-HKG flights are staffed with seven HKG based flight attendants and four EWR based.
Regarding your question about San Fransico, the numbers I was privy to that showed seniority per base basically reflect the most junior crew member in that base to hold a long haul schedule. In San Francisco, the numbers I saw showed that it takes about 25 years to hold San Fransicos to Tel Aviv, Frankfurt, Beijing, and Shanghai. Of course, certain days of the week or positions go more senior, and certain other routes go more senior.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos