Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rainaviation
Topic Author

Sun Country adds DFW-PHX/PSP

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:34 pm

No official news source yet but they have it announced on twitter... https://twitter.com/SunCountryAir/statu ... 1466856448

Thoughts? This is Spring seasonal service, 2x per week. They are sure solidifying their focus city in DFW!

flyoregon

Re: Sun Country adds DFW-PHX/PSP

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:47 am

rainaviation wrote:
No official news source yet but they have it announced on twitter... https://twitter.com/SunCountryAir/statu ... 1466856448

Thoughts? This is Spring seasonal service, 2x per week. They are sure solidifying their focus city in DFW!

How is adding 2x per week spring seasonal service solidifying DFW?

stl07

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 am

flyoregon wrote:
rainaviation wrote:

By adding flights instead of removing them
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

rainaviation
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:06 am

stl07 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
rainaviation wrote:

By continuing to expand in DFW. They obviously do well enough in DFW to keep adding flights there. Why would they add flights if they didn't do well in DFW?

rainaviation
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 am

stl07 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
rainaviation wrote:

By continuing to expand in DFW. They obviously do well enough in DFW to keep adding flights there. Why would they add flights if they didn't do well in DFW?

usdcaguy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:23 pm

These are pretty easy sun markets with AA being the only true competitor on DFW-PSP. I'm still surprised at the lack of LCC service to PSP after all these years.

lavalampluva

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:28 pm

SY is definitely in expansion mode.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

910A

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:06 pm

flyoregon wrote:
rainaviation wrote:

My thoughts exactly..Going for the left overs from AA, WN, and NK on the PHX-DFW route?

Flighty

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:31 pm

rainaviation wrote:
stl07 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Sometimes adding flights is a speculative investment. It varies how well we can ascertain profitability.

spinkid

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:08 am

They have been announcing very small additions. Such as 2x weekly. I imagine they are maximizing their utilization rates. What are their plans for adding new A/C? Does anyone know when they transfer planes back to Transavia?

sunking737

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:03 pm

spinkid wrote:
They have been announcing very small additions. Such as 2x weekly. I imagine they are maximizing their utilization rates. What are their plans for adding new A/C? Does anyone know when they transfer planes back to Transavia?

Send them back?? They still have one more to get this winter season. With those 3 plus the 2 -800 from AM. that will make 30 jets this winter. The AM are in the new "Orange" colors. Only one jet so far has the new seating, 825SY. 3 others are getting the new seats Y183. The HV are 189. The 3 HV jets go back in April '19
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

bfitzflyer

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Sun Country is interesting DL could probably crush them if they chose to, but instead lets them linger instead of a strong competitor at MSP. Now with them branching out beyond MSP could have a side benefit of being a thorn against other competitors. Granted I get it these are small adds, but better on AA routes than more DL routes.

spinkid

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:35 pm

sunking737 wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Send them back?? They still have one more to get this winter season. With those 3 plus the 2 -800 from AM. that will make 30 jets this winter. The AM are in the new "Orange" colors. Only one jet so far has the new seating, 825SY. 3 others are getting the new seats Y183. The HV are 189. The 3 HV jets go back in April '19

thanks for answering. I guess it is still early in the season. lol

What's the deal with the AM jets? I wasn't aware of that deal.

SteveXC500

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:49 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
Sun Country is interesting DL could probably crush them if they chose to, but instead lets them linger instead of a strong competitor at MSP. Now with them branching out beyond MSP could have a side benefit of being a thorn against other competitors. Granted I get it these are small adds, but better on AA routes than more DL routes.

Their schedule is just so weird being less than daily for several routes, including out of MSP. I wonder if that will hurt them in the Twin Cities. How many flights per day did they average last year in June vs June 2019? I wonder how well they will utilize gates here in MSP

sunking737

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 am

The AM jets where an out right purchase, not a lease. Rumor has it they are looking to buy used aircraft. AM didn't need them, so they picked them up from leasing company. So far this year SY has added 8 737-800 to its fleet. 5 came from THY. The 4 remaining baby Boeing are leaving next year some time, subject to change. .No word on repaint timeline. Re-seating is taking a little longer ( IMHO) as they are removing the front closet, and the G2 galley. no ovens up front, only 2 aft, for DOD charters
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

MIflyer12

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:49 am

bfitzflyer wrote:
Sun Country is interesting DL could probably crush them if they chose to, but instead lets them linger instead of a strong competitor at MSP.

RITA BTS data shows SY with less than a 4.20% domestic share at MSP. I say less than 4.20% because Endeavor has 4.20% as the #5 operating carrier behind Delta, SkyWest, Southwest and American. SY is just about irrelevant in MSP except for a very few routes.

MIflyer12

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:53 am

910A wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
rainaviation wrote:

My thoughts exactly..Going for the left overs from AA, WN, and NK on the PHX-DFW route?

On Dallas-PHX it's going against (tomorrow's schedule) 1x Spirit and 11x AA. On DAL-PHX it's 6x WN. Both AA and WN get connecting traffic on both ends. This is not going to go well for SY.

stlgph

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:04 am

One little airline shows a little hint of creativity and people come on an internet message board and lose their minds.

Man, you all must be a hit at parties.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

spinkid

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:06 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
910A wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

On Dallas-PHX it's going against (tomorrow's schedule) 1x Spirit and 11x AA. On DAL-PHX it's 6x WN. Both AA and WN get connecting traffic on both ends. This is not going to go well for SY.

That is pretty much the same way Frontier and Allegiant, operate their routes and when they have been on the same route as a major they haven't been run off.

Interesting to see them finally owning their aircraft rather than leasing. Once they own their fleet. the discussions about them merging will be more realistic.

stlgph

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:11 am

spinkid wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
910A wrote:

That is pretty much the same way Frontier and Allegiant, operate their routes and when they have been on the same route as a major they haven't been run off.

Interesting to see them finally owning their aircraft rather than leasing. Once they own their fleet. the discussions about them merging will be more realistic.

Yes, since every airline *HAS* to merge with every other airline, I'll throw out odds on Ultimate Air Shuttle.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

spinkid

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:20 am

stlgph wrote:
spinkid wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Yes, since every airline *HAS* to merge with every other airline, I'll throw out odds on Ultimate Air Shuttle.

I should say. I'm not one of those who thinks every carrier needs to merge. I am used to the speculation on here however.

I do feel strongly though that if Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant and Sun Country are all around in the next 5 years and continuing their individual growth plans. There is a strong likelihood that 4 will become 3, or perhaps even 2. Leaving us with 2 ULCC carriers.. However lots of things can change in the meantime, so for now. Nobody is merging.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos