Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Passenger sues BA for being 'squashed next to obese man'

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-46233158

Really can not see this going anywhere.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

DoctorVenkman

Re: Passenger sues BA for being 'squashed next to obese man'

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Just like there is a carry-on baggage size limit, there should be a human size limit. If your waist measurement is bigger than X inches (not sure specifically what it would be), you should be required to buy a first class seat or two consecutive economy seats. I've been forced to sit next to obese people numerous times and it always results in an unpleasant flight.

Now if someone has a documented medical issue that causes uncontrollable weight gain, such a hypothyroidism, then I believe the airline should offer them a discounted or free fare on the second seat since it truly is out of their control. However the vast majority of obese fliers should have to pay for their extra weight and size.

Noshow

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 pm

I once had some XXL-passenger sit next to me on a transatlantic eco flight. The problem is these people eat into your own seat space. I had to sit S-shaped. It was not only very uncomfortable but I had bad backpains for days afterwards. I would refuse to be seated like that the next time. Never ever again. They sold me and I paid a full seat not half size. Oversized passengers being placed next to me cannot be my risk. The airlines must sort that out.

BlatantEcho

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 pm

It always amuses me, and I wonder if it was tounge in cheek... that fat passengers are called POS.... by the airlines.
Always makes me chuckle.

I do think airlines could do ok business selling a second seat to fat people for 50% the normal fare - simply as a courtesy.
Everyone wins and very common sense.

EBJ68

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 pm

I suspect there would be an uproar and a lot of legal activities if the airlines charged extra for an obese passenger to ride.

ripcordd

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:35 pm

2nd seat for 50% lots of people would do that just not to have to sit next someone

sandbender

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:42 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
I do think airlines could do ok business selling a second seat to fat people for 50% the normal fare - simply as a courtesy. Everyone wins and very common sense.

Yes, it makes sense... which is why it will never happen. Too many people will sue claiming discrimination. If you have any doubt just look at the often asinine abuses of the "service animal" policy.

It could be worse though, the Hakkaku sumo stable was good enough to tweet out pictures of a holiday outing they took a few years ago...

https://soranews24.com/2014/07/31/this- ... one-plane/

gunnerman

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 pm

If a Southwest agent considers you to be a "Customer of Size" you'll be required to buy a ticket for the seat next to you. It will be be refunded if the flight turns out not to be full.

aklrno

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Just to remind those who don't remember or those who don't know the Southwest policy (like most outside the US). If you can't fit in the seat with the armrests down you must buy a second seat. If you buy a second seat in advance and the aircraft is not full (meaning you could sit next to an empty seat) then the second seat cost is refunded to the passenger.

SDFguy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 pm

gunnerman wrote:
If a Southwest agent considers you to be a "Customer of Size" you'll be required to buy a ticket for the seat next to you. It will be be refunded if the flight turns out not to be full.

That is the way it should be on all airlines. Why should others have to physically suffer sitting next to a POS?

aklrno

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:55 pm

gunnerman beat me by seconds!

smokeybandit

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:56 pm

It's not just weight though. I once got stuck in a middle seat on a TATL flight between two guys with really broad shoulders. Already being 6'2", I had zero room at all.

lightsaber

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Noshow wrote:
I once had some XXL-passenger sit next to me on a transatlantic eco flight. The problem is these people eat into your own seat space. I had to sit S-shaped. It was not only very uncomfortable but I had bad backpains for days afterwards. I would refuse to be seated like that the next time. Never ever again. They sold me and I paid a full seat.

I put down the arm rest. When people ask to put it up, I say no thank you. :devil:

That has been enough to avoid the issue. The passenger on the other side copied me.

They need to shrink the belts to fit.

The reality is, if you weight over 275pounds, you should occupy 2 seats for the crash load.
Winter is coming.

Noshow

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:40 pm

There was no space to put them down. The next person was way to wide. I really felt like not even having half of my seatspace left.

TheOldDude

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Apparently the problem is that the space provided for people in some cabins is large enough for some people, and not for others. I suppose that's to be expected; allocating sufficient seat space in every seat for the largest people would result in airfares that are much less affordable, thus denying many people the benefits of airline travel.

The space allocation, however justified, results in the large could be embarrassed by their size and uncomfortable by crowding others, and the others are simply uncomfortable and left thinking they should have been given more space.

Airlines should address this problem. There is no good answer, but there are better answers than others.

Noshow

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 pm

For me it was not just comfort issue but a health issue. I will not accept to sit like this again.

GatorClark

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:21 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
I do think airlines could do ok business selling a second seat to fat people for 50% the normal fare - simply as a courtesy.
Everyone wins and very common sense.

Southwest has a policy similar to that.. Not at 50%, but still a policy requiring passengers of size to buy a second seat and when it first rolled out, I remember people were furious over it. And to a point, some still are. Its not a popular policy, but at the same time nobody wants to be in that seat that someone is spilling over into.. Seems like a catch 22 to me..

Armodeen

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:27 pm

ripcordd wrote:
2nd seat for 50% lots of people would do that just not to have to sit next someone

BA have offered that for years.

m0ssy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:27 pm

I was once delayed about 3 hours to Salt Lake City where I had a connection to meet. When we touched down at SLC I had 10 minutes to make my connection in the regional concourse. After what felt like a mile of sprinting, I was lucky enough that the plane was still there (maybe an agent called ahead since it wasn't my fault?), but upon boarding the CRJ, I found I was next to the largest man I'd ever seen on an RJ, and we were equally happy to see each other. His shoulder and legs were firmly pressed against my back and my legs the entire flight. I sat there pressed against the window, which was more like a monacle, wheezing for air since things were too tight for me to find my inhaler.

I should just be grateful I made the flight at all, but in the end, I was given half (or a 1/4th) of a seat because another pax had no possible way of fitting in his own seat.
Follow me on Instagram! @eug_spotter :airplane:

ImperialEagle

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:35 pm

Well, the airlines can control the seat size and, with rare exception, pax can control their weight.
I'm not about to share my seat with anyone, especially a water buffalo, on a long flight.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

lightsaber

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:00 am

TheOldDude wrote:
Apparently the problem is that the space provided for people in some cabins is large enough for some people, and not for others. I suppose that's to be expected; allocating sufficient seat space in every seat for the largest people would result in airfares that are much less affordable, thus denying many people the benefits of airline travel.

The space allocation, however justified, results in the large could be embarrassed by their size and uncomfortable by crowding others, and the others are simply uncomfortable and left thinking they should have been given more space.

Airlines should address this problem. There is no good answer, but there are better answers than others.

Aircraft real estate is the most expensive real estate ever created (ok, distant 2nd to space).

Customers have voted for cheap over space. Since the best run airlines only make 11% profit (20% is the goal for long term viability), what should they do?

Given the choice between 8 and 9 across 787s, customers went to 9. Heck, AirAsia flies 9 across A330s! :crowded:

18" used to accommodate 99.6% of the people.

Are you saying AirAsia needs a new business model? For that is what you are asking.

Anyone over 200 pounds was a Big boy when I was a kid. That is only positive for professional athletes...

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

AtomicGarden

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:11 am

If the company refused to allow boarding to the large man (to be polite) then said man would be suing BA for discrimination.

In my company, we advise pax about a certain waiste dimensions, and sometimes we had to check with the techs if the seat could stand his/her weight without breaking. Also, there are issues with the seat belt (unless they use an extension, but that means the airline knew about the big man's size being a problem). It's a matter of both comfort and safety. How quickly could someone like this evacuate a plane? I think the lawsuit might have some life in it.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

TheOldDude

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:13 am

lightsaber wrote:
TheOldDude wrote:

Aircraft real estate is the most expensive real estate ever created (ok, distant 2nd to space).

Customers have voted for cheap over space. Since the best run airlines only make 11% profit (20% is the goal for long term viability), what should they do?

Given the choice between 8 and 9 across 787s, customers went to 9. Heck, AirAsia flies 9 across A330s! :crowded:

18" used to accommodate 99.6% of the people.

Are you saying AirAsia needs a new business model? For that is what you are asking.

Anyone over 200 pounds was a Big boy when I was a kid. That is only positive for professional athletes...

Lightsaber

I think you read too much into my comment. I did not ask for AirAsia to change their business model; I never mentioned AirAsia at all. I merely described the problem, provided some parameters, and said the airlines should address the problem.

I also said there is no good solution. What I mean by that is I don't see a solution that works for everyone. If you have such a solution, feel free to suggest it.

cschleic

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:14 am

lightsaber wrote:
Noshow wrote:
I once had some XXL-passenger sit next to me on a transatlantic eco flight. The problem is these people eat into your own seat space. I had to sit S-shaped. It was not only very uncomfortable but I had bad backpains for days afterwards. I would refuse to be seated like that the next time. Never ever again. They sold me and I paid a full seat.

I put down the arm rest. When people ask to put it up, I say no thank you. :devil:

That has been enough to avoid the issue. The passenger on the other side copied me.

The reality is, if you weight over 275pounds, you should occupy 2 seats for the crash load.

On a recent QX flight, I did the same thing when taking the window seat. When the guy next to me boarded, he walked up and, with obvious previous experience, quickly raised the armrest and squeezed himself into his seat. He wasn't as large as some examples in this thread so it was more a matter of us bumping against each other rather than him taking up my seat space, and it was only a 45 minute flight, so I didn't complain. But the idea of just lifting the armrest without a comment or asking was too much.

cheapgreek

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:26 am

I was on a flight in my seat when an obese man sat next to me and asked if he could put the armrest up, I said no. I knew if he did, in a very short time his mass would ooze into my seating area. Obesity is curable, its not a disease, but a life style choice governed by ignoring or embracing self control.

sixtyseven

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:38 am

DoctorVenkman wrote:
Just like there is a carry-on baggage size limit, there should be a human size limit. If your waist measurement is bigger than X inches (not sure specifically what it would be), you should be required to buy a first class seat or two consecutive economy seats. I've been forced to sit next to obese people numerous times and it always results in an unpleasant flight.

Now if someone has a documented medical issue that causes uncontrollable weight gain, such a hypothyroidism, then I believe the airline should offer them a discounted or free fare on the second seat since it truly is out of their control. However the vast majority of obese fliers should have to pay for their extra weight and size.

Good idea. However there are doctors that say a peacock support animal is a viable thing.

Don’t think some fat person would have much problem finding a doctor to say their massive size is medical.

And if they didn’t the lawsuits would tie the courts up for years.

It’s a dice roll. When I see an obese person come toward me I start praying. Please not beside me. Plllllease.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

JoeCanuck

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:52 am

cheapgreek wrote:
I was on a flight in my seat when an obese man sat next to me and asked if he could put the armrest up, I said no. I knew if he did, in a very short time his mass would ooze into my seating area. Obesity is curable, its not a disease, but a life style choice governed by ignoring or embracing self control.

Right. Another expert. Millions of people thank you for your insight. Who knew the answer was so simple? Let me guess; your solution to addiction is, "just say no". Problem solved. It's been working a treat since Nancy Reagan, right?

Regardless, when you buy a ticket, it's for the whole seat...just like when you get a hotel room. You paid for the whole thing...you should get the whole thing. Your ticket doesn't include any of the adjoining seat, so you shouldn't be sitting in it if it's occupied.
What the...?

IPFreely

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:06 am

lightsaber wrote:
Noshow wrote:

Seat belts are a reasonable size. On most of the flights I've been on this year, FA's have had to supply seat belt extenders for at least one economy passenger and sometimes several of them. Making any passenger who can't fit inside a standard seat belt buy a second seat seems reasonable. Maybe airlines should do away with seat belt extenders altogether.

Blimpie

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:17 am

I can see both sides of the coin, but to be fair, on a flight a couple years back, I was seated 2+2, with the armrest down window seat when the guy next to me wanted the arm rest up saying he needed more space. Without being the a$$hole that I am, I politely stated, that the space between the armrests were the space I paid for, and that I was not subsidizing his need to annex the space I paid in my honest opinion too much for in the first place). The gentleman protested and I told him to take it up with the FA, maybe she'd comp him a J seat up front. (Mind you, I wasn't quite a small guy myself at 210 pounds at the time, so I wasn't swimming on any extra space myself between the armrests as it was). I don't remember how that all worked out. I think he just had to suck it up and sulk the entire flight.

On the other side of things, I can see by some strange stroke of a pen that all seats get an extra two inches of width added that gives the wide-boys the space they need, but then would claim its unfair by the sheer amount of extra space thinner pax are; so someone suing discrimination. No matter what the airlines do, things end up as a classic Bart Simpson paradox.

You can't please all the people all the time, but you can sure tick everyone off all the time :)
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

3rdGen

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:19 am

For those who say that it would be discriminating against larger people if airlines forced them to buy a second seat I ask what about the rights of the passengers whose space they are eating up?

Would it be acceptable if one were to purchase a product and be told that the one he has bought has a defect but that full price must be paid?

Society has to decide who is to pay the price for an individuals larger size. The individual, the company or other passengers? Well I say the debate should be between the individual and the company, but let's keep other passengers comfort out of it. Unfortunately the airlines take advantage of the fact that once you've bought your ticket, showed up at the airport and then entered the airplane you're too far in to walk away or demand a change.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

JoeCanuck

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:57 am

3rdGen wrote:
For those who say that it would be discriminating against larger people if airlines forced them to buy a second seat I ask what about the rights of the passengers whose space they are eating up?

Would it be acceptable if one were to purchase a product and be told that the one he has bought has a defect but that full price must be paid?

Society has to decide who is to pay the price for an individuals larger size. The individual, the company or other passengers? Well I say the debate should be between the individual and the company, but let's keep other passengers comfort out of it. Unfortunately the airlines take advantage of the fact that once you've bought your ticket, showed up at the airport and then entered the airplane you're too far in to walk away or demand a change.

I think this suit has a chance of really stirring things up...and I hope it does. When you buy your ticket, you are essentially renting that seat...the entire seat...for the duration of the flight. No other passenger has a right to your space except to gain access to the aisle.

Some court at some time is going to enforce this and throw a long overdue curve ball into the airline industry.
What the...?

jetmatt777

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:41 am

I believe roller coasters and amusement rides have very strict requirements where if you can’t safely fit then you can’t ride. Doesn’t seem there’s any fuss there. It’s not discriminatory, it’s a safety issue.

If you have a health condition that prohibits you from flying (weak heart, etc.) it’s not viewed as discriminatory. Being obese is a health issue, and it doesn’t matter if you caused it or you have conditions which are out of your control, it’s a safety issue in my mind. I’ve sat next to some very large people, who if became incapacited during a crash would have caused me great trouble in reaching an exit.

It’s a touchy subject I get it, and I mean no offense but there’s a line that needs to be identified. If you can’t safely fit in the seat, you’ll likely have trouble going out the overwing exits too. There’s a lot of people behind you that will need to exit and if you are stuck or unable to get out; that has the potential to kill or injure many fellow passengers.

ScottishDavie

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:41 am

To the best of my knowledge this is the first time this issue has been litigated in a British court. If there is a legal precedent anywhere else it's most likely to be in America. Does anyone know if there has been such a case in the USA or another country?

GBNWB

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 am

There was a huge dude sat by the aisle when I had the window recently on a BA Airbus, luckily we had an empty seat between us. It did occur to me though that if we needed to evacuate, especially via an over wing exit then this guy might have a spot of trouble. It reminded me of the Tony Soprano to Bobby line when Bobby leant against the front of his Escalade.

MaksFly

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 am

Obese passengers are discriminated against if you force them to buy two seats?!?!?!

I understand if someone has a genetic disposition to it, but for the majority, it is lifestyle... just like smoking cigarettes... are there any discrimination lawsuits that smokers are not allowed to smoke on airplanes? I also don't feel discriminated if they do not have my desired meal choice either.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what one does with their body, as long as it does not impact my own rights and space... If you spill out of the seat, you should be 100% required to buy another seat or wait for a flight with empty seats. The problem is, this is RARELY enforced and the "politically correct" world we live in now are too ashamed to talk about it and SJWs will crucify you for even bringing it up.

Noshow

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:20 am

I have all respect for oversized people. The issue is not so much about them but about the minimum space the other passengers just need for themselves (and have paid for). Why should the other ones lose their space, seat comfort and health just because somebody else eats into their space onboard?

stratclub

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:44 am

Airfare should be charged by weight like cargo is. Why should someone that's 100 pounds have to pay the same as someone that's 400 pounds?

idlewild

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:53 am

The government needs to intervene and create rules on minimum seat sizing, first. With different airlines coming up with their own Economy sizing, maybe it's not the size of the passenger, but the narrowness of the seat. Who's to say airlines won't narrow Biz or FC seating as well, to "squeeze" in more passengers? I'm just saying, before we force oversize passengers to buy biz class/first class seating, maybe we need to see exactly what kind of basic seating the airlines are installing.

idlewild

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:04 pm

MaksFly wrote:
Obese passengers are discriminated against if you force them to buy two seats?!?!?!

I understand if someone has a genetic disposition to it, but for the majority, it is lifestyle... just like smoking cigarettes... are there any discrimination lawsuits that smokers are not allowed to smoke on airplanes? I also don't feel discriminated if they do not have my desired meal choice either.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what one does with their body, as long as it does not impact my own rights and space... If you spill out of the seat, you should be 100% required to buy another seat or wait for a flight with empty seats. The problem is, this is RARELY enforced and the "politically correct" world we live in now are too ashamed to talk about it and SJWs will crucify you for even bringing it up.

It is not a lifestyle, it is an addiction: in between the refined and processed foods, such as sugar, flour and grains; and the growth hormones and antibiotics the governments allow industrial farms to put in our livestock, those with the genetic disposition of becoming addicted to these categories of poison are fighting something akin to drug use and alcoholism. How many big folks do you see addicted to booze or drugs, and visa versa? I'm a big guy; way big; I've done illegal substances given to me by dealers, looking to make me a customer; I've had doctors prescribe me the best opioids after surgery, and I've actually tried to like tobacco - nada on all fronts. However, when it comes to the refined/process stuff; the bland tasting red meat; yeah, it hooks your body. Then, you have the disadvantage of your body being used to carrying all those extra pounds; so much so that when you lose it, your body eventually goes cold turkey and wants the weight back, and usually wins. It's not about lifestyle in most cases. I used to shame alcoholics and druggies, saying you can just stop like I did. I want to apologize for that; my eyes have been opened. The airlines with their constant down sizing of seating, need to be kept in check. Their has to be standards on what is appropriate for a minimum guideline. And maybe, instead of the salty and sugary snacks served on board which contribute to obesity, they jump on board with whole grain and fruit, etc. Just my non-scientific based opine.

CRJ900

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:14 pm

BA, Ryanair, easyJet and Norwegian all have very polite wording on their websites stating that if you are a larger build they recommend you to buy two seats for comfort and safety. They even state the seat width and seat pitch for quick reference and remind that the armrest must be down during take-off, turbulence and landing. The information is available - the clue is to accept it.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

BlueberryWheats

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Someone in the thread mentioned that airfare should depend on weight.

I'm pushing about 280lb, but 6ft5 and just generally broadly built. I can easily and comfortably fit in a VS 10-across 747 for 10 hours without encroaching on anyone's space. My only problem is I always need to pay for more legroom due to my long legs. Even a 33" seat pitch, my knees are dug in and there's no chance the person in front can recline without destroying my kneecap.

Would it be fair if I had to pay extra due to my weight?
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

OzarkD9S

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:15 pm

stratclub wrote:

Airfare should be charged by weight like cargo is. Why should someone that's 100 pounds have to pay the same as someone that's 400 pounds?

Not to single you out but most everyone on here is talking about weight vs. body type. I'm 5'11'' and 210 lbs but well proportioned. A bit of a "Dad" gut but nothing that hangs over my belt. I fit in the seat with space on either side. Now picture someone who is 5'2" and 210 lbs and a very different body type is envisioned. Should we both pay the "cargo" rate if I fit within the seat parameters but the other person who weighs the same does not?

A slippery slope and an attorney's dream case.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

bigjku

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm

It seems simple. If you hang into another seat then you pay for two be it your gut, shoulders or whatever. Your problems aren’t other people’s problems.

hongkongflyer

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm

While it may be discrimination when requiring passengers over certain size to purchases another seat, how about modifying the idea by eliminating the seatbelt extension onboard? If you can’t fasten your seatbelt, you have to buy another seat so that you can utilize the seatbelt from both seats (connecting the seatbelt from seat A to the seatbelt from seat B)?

It is a safety requirement for everyone to fasten the seatbelt before the plane can takeoff and it won’t be classify as discrimination.

SMUtexan

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:29 pm

One thing I wish that airlines would add to their websites is an option to buy an additional seat. I had to buy a second seat once for a family member on Southwest (they were recovering from a surgery and needed the space) and it was like pulling teeth to get it booked over the phone. A simple box or something to check on the website for an additional seat would definitely be handy. It would also help avoid the shame an obese person probably has when they have to talk to a person over the phone or at the airport to request an additional seat due to their size.

ltbewr

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Political correctness, fears of lawsuits, fears of conflicts between pax as well as pax and F/A's, larger and more morbidly obese people, tighter seating, no open seats on many flights, keeping families and couples together, anti-discrimination laws, balancing the needs, comfort and safety of all pax, most fliers buying on line with the 1st goal of the cheapest price and airlines in business to make a profit makes for a viral mix of issues for 'persons of size'.
As noted in Post # 45, perhaps a question on placing a reservation (especially on line) if a person who doesn't fit comfortably in 1 economy seat in terms of girth or height. That way maybe the obese person could be put in a seat where an empty seat or in an asile seat or a tall person in a exit row. Of course, some 'normal' persons might just check it off to get a larger space, but once on board, those that need the space would get priority.

IrishTexan

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:24 pm

aklrno wrote:
Just to remind those who don't remember or those who don't know the Southwest policy (like most outside the US). If you can't fit in the seat with the armrests down you must buy a second seat. If you buy a second seat in advance and the aircraft is not full (meaning you could sit next to an empty seat) then the second seat cost is refunded to the passenger.

Curious what Southwest does if if there are no empty seats. Is the "large" passenger denied boarding?

JerseyFlyer

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:28 pm

The publicity associated with this could attract more unwelcome complaints.

I wonder if the aircraft was a 787 and the pax was in 9-abreast economy?!!

smartplane

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:56 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Political correctness, fears of lawsuits, fears of conflicts between pax as well as pax and F/A's, larger and more morbidly obese people, tighter seating, no open seats on many flights, keeping families and couples together, anti-discrimination laws, balancing the needs, comfort and safety of all pax, most fliers buying on line with the 1st goal of the cheapest price and airlines in business to make a profit makes for a viral mix of issues for 'persons of size'.
As noted in Post # 45, perhaps a question on placing a reservation (especially on line) if a person who doesn't fit comfortably in 1 economy seat in terms of girth or height. That way maybe the obese person could be put in a seat where an empty seat or in an asile seat or a tall person in a exit row. Of course, some 'normal' persons might just check it off to get a larger space, but once on board, those that need the space would get priority.

I come from four living generations of small people. When flying in multi-generation groups, economics usually dictate travelling Y. Our family has been on the receiving end of cabin crew trying to match up part of our group to unrelated oversize passengers, even when we have booked specific seats. Great for those passengers - not for us.

When you travel long distance and are very old, airlines and travel agents (yes, my parents still always book long-distance travel with an agent) ask questions. My father suffers from low blood pressure and is very old, so is deemed to be a DVT risk when confined in a small seat for a long period.

He is required to travel in first or business class, and have health insurance to the airline's satisfaction, when travelling long distances between the hemispheres.

So discrimination isn't that difficult, so long as you can put a safety / health spin on it. The challenge for airlines is employing and retaining staff who can do so politely, with discretion, and ideally, don't fit the over size profile themselves.

gunnerman

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:31 pm

smartplane wrote:
Our family has been on the receiving end of cabin crew trying to match up part of our group to unrelated oversize passengers, even when we have booked specific seats. Great for those passengers - not for us.

I'd like to know which airline acts this way so that I can avoid it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos