Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bald1983

Re: Passenger sues BA for being 'squashed next to obese man'

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:11 pm

longhauler wrote:
There are some good points on both sides, but it is unfortunate people bring up race as an argument against "fat shaming". No one is saying the obese do not deserve respect, equality, care nor comfort.

However, it is not "fat shaming" when someone who purchses 17 1/2" x 31" of space expects full use of that space. Nor is it "fat shaming" when someone who does not fit into that space encounters resistance from those around him who do not wish to allow them into their space.

People ought to be a little more realistic about where they fit and what alternatives they have for their own comfort and safety. Most airlines have procedures in place for obese passengers, that in my opinion, seem quite fair. Obese passengers therefore should inquire. It normally does not end well when that "solution" is expected during boarding on a passenger/passenger level.

Actually, many have used the topic to insult over weight people. The rest of your post is spot on.

Bald1983

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
longhauler wrote:
...However, it is not "fat shaming" when someone who purchses 17 1/2" x 31" of space expects full use of that space. Nor is it "fat shaming" when someone who does not fit into that space encounters resistance from those around him who do not wish to allow them into their space.

People ought to be a little more realistic about where they fit and what alternatives they have for their own comfort and safety. Most airlines have procedures in place for obese passengers, that in my opinion, seem quite fair. ...

Well, then airlines should get more realistic about passengers size. A 9-across A330 or A310, or 6-across ARJ/BAe-146 are glaring examples of being unrealistic on their part, don't you think?
The fact that passenger dimensions are growing larger -- is here.
So is the fact that the seat width is not growing since 707 and 747. And seat pitch is shrinking.

Why should airlines grow the seats? That means fewer o them and less revenue.

SDFguy

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
longhauler wrote:
...However, it is not "fat shaming" when someone who purchses 17 1/2" x 31" of space expects full use of that space. Nor is it "fat shaming" when someone who does not fit into that space encounters resistance from those around him who do not wish to allow them into their space.

People ought to be a little more realistic about where they fit and what alternatives they have for their own comfort and safety. Most airlines have procedures in place for obese passengers, that in my opinion, seem quite fair. ...

Well, then airlines should get more realistic about passengers size. A 9-across A330 or A310, or 6-across ARJ/BAe-146 are glaring examples of being unrealistic on their part, don't you think?
So is the fact that the seat width is not growing since 707 and 747. And seat pitch is shrinking.

No, POS should get more realistic about their waist size and stop forcing society to accommodate their unhealthy lifestyle choices.

seat24charlie

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:01 pm

SDFguy wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
longhauler wrote:

No, POS should get more realistic about their waist size and stop forcing society to accommodate their unhealthy lifestyle choices.

If I'm overweight, and I need to get across the country, what the hell should I do? Lose 100lbs overnight?

This entire community has lost the freaking plot.

JFernandez

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:08 pm

As a 300 lb. member here, I get it, it isn't fun being next to me. The insanity that seats are shrinking as people get bigger is beyond me, but I've flown 2/3rds of a million miles and never had a major incident, though I'm sure some people would have rather I'd been half my size.

SDFguy

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 pm

seat24charlie wrote:
SDFguy wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:

If I'm overweight, and I need to get across the country, what the hell should I do? Lose 100lbs overnight?

What should you do? Simple. Buy an extra seat.

Etheereal

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 pm

SDFguy wrote:
seat24charlie wrote:
SDFguy wrote:

What should you do? Simple. Buy an extra seat.

Correct answer.

AIRT0M

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Motorhussy wrote:
aerohottie wrote:
bigjku wrote:
It seems simple. If you hang into another seat then you pay for two be it your gut, shoulders or whatever. Your problems aren’t other people’s problems.

Nice in theory.
I'm 6'4" and 210lbs, a former olympic swimmer and low body fat, and yet it is my shoulder width that makes modern economy seats almost unbearable. My arms and shoulders literally hang into the space of those on either side of me, through no fault of my own and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Should I be forced to pay double the price? No amount of dieting is going to shrink my shoulder width.

By the sounds of it, very few people would have a problem sitting next to you, in fact quite a few may really enjoy it.

I know I would :D

Kiwirob

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:05 pm

BEG2IAH wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
Increasingly, some people will be deterred from flying in Economy as they cannot fit into the toilets of some of the newer aircraft operated by AA, DL and UA which are only 24" wide.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2018/nov/19/will-shrinking-aeroplane-toilets-stop-fat-people-flying-61cm-us-flights-six-additional-passengers

I guess they would have to decide which business they are doing (#1 or #2) before they crawl into lavs. On a second thought, this applies to men only... Women would have to reverse into the lav anyway.

Sorry for a graphic description right around lunch time. :)

If you struggled to get into the toilet then how would you wipe your butt if you were doing a poo?

longhauler

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
Actually, many have used the topic to insult over weight people.

Oh, I am well aware of that. As I have mentioned a few times on this site, I am a personal trainer by hobby. After years of competition body building, I now donate my time at the YMCA teaching young adults about health. For those that want to pursue it further, it normally goes one of two ways. Either they want to learn about body building, or ... they are obese and would give anything not to be.

It breaks my heart. Not only how the world looks at them and treats them, but after contant abuse, how they look at themselves. I don't like the term "fat shaming", but it is not politically incorrect and it seems to fit they way obese are treated.

In my opinion, for most parts, it is just the luck of the genetic wheel. Some have the metabolism of a hummingbird, some don't. But ... no one is "better" than anyone else.

Keeping that in mind, how does this fit in with air travel? And, this question arises all the time. Does an obese person's right to air travel trump someone else's right to their own personal space?

What is the best way to deal with this? In my opinion, the worst way is a personal confrontation with the traveller beside you. The best way is to contact the airline directly. Simply, and without shame, tell them you are obese and what procedures are best followed?

I think Southwest Airlines has the absolute best policy around. The seat beside you is empty. If they needed it, you pay for it. If they didn't need it, then you don't! It doesn't get fairer than that!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

axiom

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:25 pm

longhauler wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
Actually, many have used the topic to insult over weight people.

Oh, I am well aware of that. As I have mentioned a few times on this site, I am a personal trainer by hobby. After years of competition body building, I now donate my time at the YMCA teaching young adults about health. For those that want to pursue it further, it normally goes one of two ways. Either they want to learn about body building, or ... they are obese and would give anything not to be.

It breaks my heart. Not only how the world looks at them and treats them, but after contant abuse, how they look at themselves. I don't like the term "fat shaming", but it is not politically incorrect and it seems to fit they way obese are treated.

In my opinion, for most parts, it is just the luck of the genetic wheel. Some have the metabolism of a hummingbird, some don't. But ... no one is "better" than anyone else.

Keeping that in mind, how does this fit in with air travel? And, this question arises all the time. Does an obese person's right to air travel trump someone else's right to their own personal space?

What is the best way to deal with this? In my opinion, the worst way is a personal confrontation with the traveller beside you. The best way is to contact the airline directly. Simply, and without shame, tell them you are obese and what procedures are best followed?

I think Southwest Airlines has the absolute best policy around. The seat beside you is empty. If they needed it, you pay for it. If they didn't need it, then you don't! It doesn't get fairer than that!

Well stated!

spinotter

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:06 pm

seat24charlie wrote:
SDFguy wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:

Buy two seats.

Phosphorus

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:18 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
longhauler wrote:

Right. Let's take it to the next logical step: an airline with 777, 11-across. More seats, more revenue, what's not to like for the airline? And yes, discomforted passengers have either to battle each other, or book a premium seat, to have at least some sense of comfort.
Next step, 787, 10-across.
And so on and so forth.

Obviously, there will be some people who will STILL fit into those seats, and complain about neighbors encroaching.

Somewhere, a balance between revenue and creature comfort has to be found.
And buy the looks of it -- this balance is no longer in 10-across 777 or 6-across 737's, as humans become larger, on average.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

ojjunior

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Obviously this lawsuit is going nowhere but the math seems very simple:

3 skinny pax in 3 paid seats = X $ per seat - flight cost = Regular airline profit and all smashed together
1 skinny pax+1overweighted pax in 3 paid seats = Optimized X $ per seat - lower flight cost due lighter flight = Higher airline profit and everyone happy

Sounds quite obvious

cheapgreek

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:45 pm

seat24charlie wrote:
Jetty wrote:
You can tell by looking at the fattest countries, they have plenty of acces to fresh and healthy food and above average healthcare and education.

Yes, and all those things are distributed equally in these utopias. Are you being deliberately dense or was that a lifestyle choice as well?

Isn't it arrogant of someone who knows they can't fit into a seat, to assume it's OK to encroach on their neighbours?

I'd argue it's more arrogant of someone to assume they know everything about a person simply from their body shape. They have to travel as well.

I married into an obese family and watching them eat its like slopping the hogs. Going back for seconds, thirds and more. Making jokes such as, "Its good living" or rubbing their bellies and smiling as if they are proud of being so large. They can't do simple things such as a short hike, they need to be at the end of the sofa to push themselves up or one who fell on the floor and had to wait for someone to help him up. Most have sleep apnea which is directly related to obesity and becoming diabetic. They all complement each other with phrases like, " that suit looks good on you" or "you look very pretty in that dress". The suit is a size 52 and the dress is size XXL. They are on multiple prescriptions directly related to obesity. So tell me, what are the advantages of being obese? Are they living a full life? Are they more prone to joint failure, incurring more serious injuries when falling? Not fitting into an airline seat is just the tip of the iceberg, its an extremely unhealthy life style and most result in premature death and missing out on some of life's enjoyable activities. Defending bad health choices does no one any good.

Man alive, you have a fun Thanksgiving ahead of you. Do your in-laws know you bear such resentment towards them?

Naw, most died prematurely, others are in convalescent homes and the few remaining don't care, they even make jokes about their size. I have seen many of them over the years just exist, not live, but exist. In the winter their major source of heat comes from the TV as they spend all day watching mind numbing programming, eating snack foods along with diet sodas. Many people suffer from non curable illnesses and my heart and help goes out to them, but obesity is curable in most cases. People make many choices in life, tobacco use, abusing pain killers, abusing alcohol, etc and while these people suffer themselves with a low quality of life, they burden family and friends needlessly in caring for those who don't care about themselves. Please don't try to defend those who injure their health, cause worry and concern for their families and bounce in and out of doctors offices and hospitals, lose more time from work and cannot enjoy a quality of life the rest enjoy. Medical science cannot cure MS, Cancer, Dementia, and other killing ailments, but obesity can be eliminated. All this started with the obese person invading the space of fellow passengers as I experienced and I think there has been enough said regarding this subject from me.

DoctorVenkman

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:05 pm

I wonder how much of a market there would be for seats with increased width, similar to the extra legroom in Y+. Or potentially even increase the width of Y+ and charge a little bit more. I'm of average weight but I would definitely purchase a seat with additional width.

gunnerman

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Most long-haul airlines have a Premium Economy cabin whose seats provide more legroom and elbow room. So long as the fare is reasonable it's well worth buying a ticket for a seat in this cabin even if you aren't a big person.

CRJ900

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
I wonder how much of a market there would be for seats with increased width,

We are about to find out as DL introduces the CSeries, or A220 as we must call it now. If DL has opted for the 18,5-inch wide window and aisle seats and 19-inch wide middle seat passengers should notice...? The dunnies are bigger too.

SWISS and airBaltic passengers have responded favourably so far.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

cheapgreek

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:24 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
I wonder how much of a market there would be for seats with increased width, similar to the extra legroom in Y+. Or potentially even increase the width of Y+ and charge a little bit more. I'm of average weight but I would definitely purchase a seat with additional width.

Most airlines will not go for it. Years back, AA had MRTC or More Room Throughout Coach. It did not yield AA any more passengers but it was nice to have a few more inches of leg room. For seats to be wider, it may involve reducing rows from 6 to 5 on narrow bodies as I don't think aisles can be reduced from what they already are. Air travel today is not what it was decades ago. Its the shareholders who are the primary concern, then air freight and last the customer. Tiny lavs, tight seat pitches and being charged for every little thing. Its the new normal.

Bald1983

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:

Right. Let's take it to the next logical step: an airline with 777, 11-across. More seats, more revenue, what's not to like for the airline? And yes, discomforted passengers have either to battle each other, or book a premium seat, to have at least some sense of comfort.
And so on and so forth. Somewhere, a balance between revenue and creature comfort has to be found.

Obviously, there will be some people who will STILL fit into those seats, and complain about neighbors encroaching. And buy the looks of it -- this balance is no longer in 10-across 777 or 6-across 737's, as humans become larger, on average.

Try not to be absurd. If the airlines started making 737's twelve across, that would be about 8" no one would fit in them and no one would fly them. The fact is the seat width has not changed; the passenger width has. Airlines are not required to accommodate and take the hit in revenue. It is real simple; if you are large enough that you do not fit in the seat, buy two seats or do not fly.

cheapgreek

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:54 am

Bald1983 wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

And so on and so forth. Somewhere, a balance between revenue and creature comfort has to be found.

Obviously, there will be some people who will STILL fit into those seats, and complain about neighbors encroaching. And buy the looks of it -- this balance is no longer in 10-across 777 or 6-across 737's, as humans become larger, on average.

Try not to be absurd. If the airlines started making 737's twelve across, that would be about 8" no one would fit in them and no one would fly them. The fact is the seat width has not changed; the passenger width has. Airlines are not required to accommodate and take the hit in revenue. It is real simple; if you are large enough that you do not fit in the seat, buy two seats or do not fly.

Thank you. I tried to reason from the standpoint of health issues, but airlines have a primary responsibility to take one from point A to point B.

Phosphorus

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 am

Bald1983 wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

If reality no longer meets a company's expectation, it's up to a company to adapt, not for the reality to budge, no?
If the company is in a oligopoly situation, and is under no pressure to adapt, it's up to the regulator to step in. After all, it's a "common carrier", and certificated to operate as such.

Regarding "not being absurd" -- I find 6-across ARJ's an existing absurdity, for example. You don't find 12-across 737's, as there's no way to make them evacuation-compliant. 12-across 777's, on the other hand, could be...

Bottom line -- passengers become larger; it's a reality, like it or not.
Whether this reality will be confronted in a sensible way, or shoveled under the carpet -- is another matter, but reality will not change.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Bald1983

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:

If reality no longer meets a company's expectation, it's up to a company to adapt, not for the reality to budge, no?
If the company is in a oligopoly situation, and is under no pressure to adapt, it's up to the regulator to step in. After all, it's a "common carrier", and certificated to operate as such.

Regarding "not being absurd" -- I find 6-across ARJ's an existing absurdity, for example. You don't find 12-across 737's, as there's no way to make them evacuation-compliant. 12-across 777's, on the other hand, could be...

Bottom line -- passengers become larger; it's a reality, like it or not.
Whether this reality will be confronted in a sensible way, or shoveled under the carpet -- is another matter, but reality will not change.

The sensible way is for people who are too large to fit in a seat, to buy two seats.

stratclub

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

Simple. Customers do not want to be treated like cargo. Airlines do not want to encourage customers to go to their competitors. Hence, no weigh in before every flight. There are those like you who will bemoan that fact and say it is not fair. Fair has nothing to do with it. The problem from the customer stand point, is when a passenger's size has that passenger taking over the space of another seat, when that seat is taken by someone else. Beyond that, it is the airline's problem and airlines are able to average it out as far as weight and balance. If you feel that is blatantly unfair to you, remember it is not about you and, unless you own the plane and make the rules, it is not your call. If that still causes you angst, you should consider forgoing passage on any airline that refuses to be "fair" to you.

So people would rather be treated like cattle? You should try reading what I posts with some comprehension instead of ignoring the truths and deciding I'm just some sort of whiner. The weight and balance reference was in regards to what you posted about small aircraft flights and nothing to do with this discussion about airlines passengers. Reading comprehension is very important.............

I comprehend your posts quite well. You just do not have a point. Not even close. Weight and balance is an issue for any aircraft, large and small. Airlines just use averaging to even the load. Beyond that you have not stated a point unless you want to whine that it is not fair that someone who is heavier pays the same fare as a lighter person. Couple of points: If you insist it is not fair, start your own airline and base the fares by weight. YOu probably will not be in business for long. Having a point is very important; you should try it.

Amazing. Could you have someone that has the ability for critical thinking read this thread and explain it to you? Clearly, the system for charging airfare subsidizes oversized/overweight people. Perhaps your mom or some other person will explain that to you so that you will quit criticizing my posts and ignoring the truths I'm relating to.

Bald1983

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:38 pm

stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
So people would rather be treated like cattle? You should try reading what I posts with some comprehension instead of ignoring the truths and deciding I'm just some sort of whiner. The weight and balance reference was in regards to what you posted about small aircraft flights and nothing to do with this discussion about airlines passengers. Reading comprehension is very important.............

I comprehend your posts quite well. You just do not have a point. Not even close. Weight and balance is an issue for any aircraft, large and small. Airlines just use averaging to even the load. Beyond that you have not stated a point unless you want to whine that it is not fair that someone who is heavier pays the same fare as a lighter person. Couple of points: If you insist it is not fair, start your own airline and base the fares by weight. YOu probably will not be in business for long. Having a point is very important; you should try it.

Amazing. Could you have someone that has the ability for critical thinking read this thread and explain it to you? Clearly, the system for charging airfare subsidizes oversized/overweight people. Perhaps your mom or some other person will explain that to you so that you will quit criticizing my posts and ignoring the truths I'm relating to.

You are not very bright, are you? You see, having a system that measures weight, for millions of passengers each day would be so unwieldy and cost prohibitive, that airlines would choose not to use it. You would have issues of people lying about their weight when they book, trying to cheat the system, not unlike people deliberate bringing oversize bags past checking to try and squeeze them on, some type of verification process of weight, at check in, and potential customers deciding not to patronize that airline. One thing you seem to be too ignorant or too dumb to get, is that airlines are very adept at finding ways to increase revenues and if such a scheme your propose could have been implemented, they would have implemented it. You really need to try thinking. Your real issue is that you want everything "fair." No doubt fair to you as you believe you would benefit. Anyway, here is some advice; stop being stupid and insulting. Your flaw to your non-thoughts is you come up with an idea, decide you are a genius, (Like Wiley E. Coyote.) and consider people to be idiots when they point out the flaws to your self proclaimed wisdom. Another suggestion, because you find it so unfair, RESIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not fly on any airline that does not charge by weight. It will do you no good but everyone else who flies will benefit greatly.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Okay, just a thought, at roller coaster rides in theme parks there are often examples of the seat you have to fit into in order to enjoy the ride.

Perhap time has come to have this available at check-in for POS, and then the problem on the aircraft would not arise?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

WayexTDI

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:18 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Okay, just a thought, at roller coaster rides in theme parks there are often examples of the seat you have to fit into in order to enjoy the ride.

Perhap time has come to have this available at check-in for POS, and then the problem on the aircraft would not arise?

Well, that's not a far-stretched idea honestly. Airlines already have "templates" that your carry-on luggage has to fit in before being accepted on-board; why not do it for passengers suspected to be "oversized"?

stratclub

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

Simple. Customers do not want to be treated like cargo. Airlines do not want to encourage customers to go to their competitors. Hence, no weigh in before every flight. There are those like you who will bemoan that fact and say it is not fair. Fair has nothing to do with it. The problem from the customer stand point, is when a passenger's size has that passenger taking over the space of another seat, when that seat is taken by someone else. Beyond that, it is the airline's problem and airlines are able to average it out as far as weight and balance. If you feel that is blatantly unfair to you, remember it is not about you and, unless you own the plane and make the rules, it is not your call. If that still causes you angst, you should consider forgoing passage on any airline that refuses to be "fair" to you.

Perhaps your mother or someone else that understands critical thinking could explain to you why your responses have nothing to do with reality. The truth is that over weight over large people have been subsidized for a long time. If you are tortuously obese, you need to pay your fair share. Why is that unfair?

Oh I know, discrimination. Just because someone cannot maintain their weight is not my concern. For what ever the reason it is their concern and I will give zero $ to accommodate their problem. Medical condition? Your problem not mine.

stratclub

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

You are not very bright, are you? You see, having a system that measures weight, for millions of passengers each day would be so unwieldy and cost prohibitive, that airlines would choose not to use it. You would have issues of people lying about their weight when they book, trying to cheat the system, not unlike people deliberate bringing oversize bags past checking to try and squeeze them on, some type of verification process of weight, at check in, and potential customers deciding not to patronize that airline. One thing you seem to be too ignorant or too dumb to get, is that airlines are very adept at finding ways to increase revenues and if such a scheme your propose could have been implemented, they would have implemented it. You really need to try thinking. Your real issue is that you want everything "fair." No doubt fair to you as you believe you would benefit. Anyway, here is some advice; stop being stupid and insulting. Your flaw to your non-thoughts is you come up with an idea, decide you are a genius, (Like Wiley E. Coyote.) and consider people to be idiots when they point out the flaws to your self proclaimed wisdom. Another suggestion, because you find it so unfair, RESIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not fly on any airline that does not charge by weight. It will do you no good but everyone else who flies will benefit greatly.

It is truly amazing how people can ignore things that are common sense. Is Retardation the new smart or something? How is airfare based on what it actually costs in fuel to transport you unfair or a bad idea? If you are tortuously obese, you really should pay what it costs to transport you, period.

If you transported two one foot square boxes and one weighed 1 pound and the other weighed 100 pounds and if the shipping cost was the same, how many folks would go oh, no big deal? Why can't transporting people actually reflect what it cost the airlines in fuel costs?

floridaflyboy

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:39 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
It's not just weight though. I once got stuck in a middle seat on a TATL flight between two guys with really broad shoulders. Already being 6'2", I had zero room at all.

So true. I'm a bit under average weight for my height, but I have very broad shoulders. It makes certain coach seats particularly uncomfortable, so I can't imagine it's a blast for people sitting next to me.
Good goes around!

JoeCanuck

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:50 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
It's not just weight though. I once got stuck in a middle seat on a TATL flight between two guys with really broad shoulders. Already being 6'2", I had zero room at all.

So true. I'm a bit under average weight for my height, but I have very broad shoulders. It makes certain coach seats particularly uncomfortable, so I can't imagine it's a blast for people sitting next to me.

I also have broad shoulders so I pick aisle seats when I can. I'd rather deal with the occasional nudge as someone walks by, than contribute to squishing everyone in the row.
What the...?

Bald1983

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 pm

stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

It is truly amazing how people can ignore things that are common sense. Is Retardation the new smart or something? How is airfare based on what it actually costs in fuel to transport you unfair or a bad idea? If you are tortuously obese, you really should pay what it costs to transport you, period.

If you transported two one foot square boxes and one weighed 1 pound and the other weighed 100 pounds and if the shipping cost was the same, how many folks would go oh, no big deal? Why can't transporting people actually reflect what it cost the airlines in fuel costs?

I must apologize. I understated you. You are more then "Not very bright;" you are stupid. You are the worst kind of stupid in that you see yourself to be a genius. Here it is again: ]You see, having a system that measures weight, for millions of passengers each day would be so unwieldy and cost prohibitive, that airlines would choose not to use it. You would have issues of people lying about their weight when they book, trying to cheat the system, not unlike people deliberate bringing oversize bags past checking to try and squeeze them on, some type of verification process of weight, at check in, and potential customers deciding not to patronize that airline costing them revenue. One thing you seem to be is too ignorant or too dumb to get; that airlines are very adept at finding ways to increase revenues and if such a scheme your propose could have been implemented and make more money, they would have implemented it.

You see, dummy, airlines want to make money. They are not the least bit concerned whether you are being treated "fairly, as you see it. Implement what you want and flight delays will expand greatly as airlines sort out the weight and fare issues, particularly when so many people will lie about their weight, hoping to get away with it. Costs will greatly go up as airlines purchase scales, hundreds, actually thousands of them, to be the weight police, all because some idiot believes he or she is being ripped off if they pay the same fare, for the same class of service, that someone heavier pays? You are not only dumb; you are self centered. The laughable people on this post are the ones who believe the airlines should accommodate people too large to fit in a seat at no cost, even if it hurts their bottom line and dummies like you who take umbrage at possibly paying the same as someone larger. Best solution for you; do not fly.

Bald1983

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 pm

stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Perhaps your mother or someone else that understands critical thinking could explain to you why your responses have nothing to do with reality. The truth is that over weight over large people have been subsidized for a long time. If you are tortuously obese, you need to pay your fair share. Why is that unfair?

Oh I know, discrimination. Just because someone cannot maintain their weight is not my concern. For what ever the reason it is their concern and I will give zero $ to accommodate their problem. Medical condition? Your problem not mine.

What I do no is that your mother raised a dummy.

aklrno

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 pm

While I would certainly gain if fares were based on weight (I'm about 60kg, 132 pounds) please note the the total takeoff weight on large aircraft is not not much changed by passenger weight. Cutting the weight of passengers by 20% would certainly not reduce takeoff would not have any effect on the enormous overhead of the weight of the aircraft. For a rough idea, the max takeoff weight of an A380 is about 1,200,000 pounds. If all 550 passengers weighed 50 pounds less that would be a difference of 27,500 pounds. An individual passenger's weight is insignificant. Most of the weight is aircraft, fuel, and cargo.

On the other hand flying in a Sounds Air Cessna Caravan from Wellington to Picton passenger weight matters a lot. Passengers are asked their weight at checkin and sometimes assigned seats accordingly.

Bhoy

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:05 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

That won't work at check-in, though - most people check-in online now, or use self service kiosks for dropping bags. As these systems are unmanned, who would enforce who was, and who wasn't put in the seat to check? And would there then have to be wrist bands saying 'passenger size approved for cabin'?
What happens when there's a last minute Aircraft change from, say, a 10 abreast 77W to a 9 abreast 772? They have different seat widths?

Bald1983

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:30 am

stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Being absolutely in awe of yoru genius and intellect, please enlighten me; hos exactly would airlines implement your brilliant idea? Try to have more then saying charge by weight. How would you determine weight, when people book their tickets and then when they check in.

stratclub

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:12 am

Holly crap!!!! What a **** storm of responses I have collected. Why Is actually charging people the true cost of transporting them such a stretch? The airlines already weigh luggage and cargo for the purpose of charging airfare, so why is it such a stretch to charge people by weight for airfare? I guess I'm a tard for hoping that airfare cost actually reflects the cost involved in the cost airlines have to pay in fuel to transport a passenger.

I guess that speaking the truth will get you vilified because the truth is not relevant to many. Just amazing how much stupid is embraced by the general public. Apparently, stupid beyond belief is the new smart.

Bald1983

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:25 am

Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

What I do know is that your mother raised someone who is not very bright.

Bald1983

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:28 am

stratclub wrote:
Holly crap!!!! What a **** storm of responses I have collected. Why Is actually charging people the true cost of transporting them such a stretch? The airlines already weigh luggage and cargo for the purpose of charging airfare, so why is it such a stretch to charge people by weight for airfare? I guess I'm a tard for hoping that airfare cost actually reflects the cost involved in the cost airlines have to pay in fuel to transport a passenger.

I guess that speaking the truth will get you vilified because the truth is not relevant to many. Just amazing how much stupid is embraced by the general public. Apparently, stupid beyond belief is the new smart.

Being ignorant, arrogant, and dumb is no way to go through life. I already told you why airlines do not use your brilliant idea. It is unwieldy, cost prohibitive, and would run of potential customers. I will ask you again, oh wise one; why do you not discuss, in detail, exactly how to implement your idea so that it would work. My guess is that you will respond by saying you are a genius and the rest of us are so dumb as to not appreciate your vast wisdom on this issue.

Bald1983

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 am

Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Being ignorant, arrogant, and dumb is no way to go through life. I already told you why airlines do not use your brilliant idea. It is unwieldy, cost prohibitive, and would run off potential customers. I will ask you again, oh wise one; why do you not discuss, in detail, exactly how to implement your idea so that it would work. My guess is that you will respond by saying you are a genius and the rest of us are so dumb as to not appreciate your vast wisdom on this issue.

stratclub

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:51 am

Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

I must apologize. I understated you. You are more then "Not very bright;" you are stupid. You are the worst kind of stupid in that you see yourself to be a genius. Here it is again: ]You see, having a system that measures weight, for millions of passengers each day would be so unwieldy and cost prohibitive, that airlines would choose not to use it. You would have issues of people lying about their weight when they book, trying to cheat the system, not unlike people deliberate bringing oversize bags past checking to try and squeeze them on, some type of verification process of weight, at check in, and potential customers deciding not to patronize that airline costing them revenue. One thing you seem to be is too ignorant or too dumb to get; that airlines are very adept at finding ways to increase revenues and if such a scheme your propose could have been implemented and make more money, they would have implemented it.

You see, dummy, airlines want to make money. They are not the least bit concerned whether you are being treated "fairly, as you see it. Implement what you want and flight delays will expand greatly as airlines sort out the weight and fare issues, particularly when so many people will lie about their weight, hoping to get away with it. Costs will greatly go up as airlines purchase scales, hundreds, actually thousands of them, to be the weight police, all because some idiot believes he or she is being ripped off if they pay the same fare, for the same class of service, that someone heavier pays? You are not only dumb; you are self centered. The laughable people on this post are the ones who believe the airlines should accommodate people too large to fit in a seat at no cost, even if it hurts their bottom line and dummies like you who take umbrage at possibly paying the same as someone larger. Best solution for you; do not fly.

Is there a a stupidometer in existence that can measure how stupid you are? Airfare by weight would be very easy to implement although a hard sell. If your check in and the cost of your ticket is calculated by your weight, why would that be unfair? additional baggage is already computed by weight isn't it? So why not calculate passenger cost by weight because the direct cost to the airline depends on weight vs fuel burn. 100 people at 100 pounds vs 100 people at 400 pounds directly effects how much an airlines spends on fuel. Why should we subsidize obese people? They should pay their fair share. why is that such an obscure concept?

stratclub

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:59 am

Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Being ignorant, arrogant, and dumb is no way to go through life. I already told you why airlines do not use your brilliant idea. It is unwieldy, cost prohibitive, and would run of potential customers. I will ask you again, oh wise one; why do you not discuss, in detail, exactly how to implement your idea so that it would work. My guess is that you will respond by saying you are a genius and the rest of us are so dumb as to not appreciate your vast wisdom on this issue.

Mostly because your arguments are pretty moronic. What ever the airlines implement as the status quo is what will be the normal and if the airlines implement fares prices based on actual cost, people will accept it. They will have no choice.

stratclub

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:05 am

Bald1983 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Being ignorant, arrogant, and dumb is no way to go through life. I already told you why airlines do not use your brilliant idea. It is unwieldy, cost prohibitive, and would run off potential customers. I will ask you again, oh wise one; why do you not discuss, in detail, exactly how to implement your idea so that it would work. My guess is that you will respond by saying you are a genius and the rest of us are so dumb as to not appreciate your vast wisdom on this issue.

What is the point of your post? It is very hard to debate nothing.

stratclub

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:09 am

Bald1983 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Seriously, stop being Ignorant, arrogant and dumb as well as being incredibly stupid. Pretty sure a stupidometer would show your intellect.

stratclub

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:08 am

Pretty simple implementation. You step up to the counter as you usually do and instead of your bags being weighed, you and your bags are weighed to compute the actual cost to the airlines to transport you. We already weigh cargo and baggage, so what is the real stretch in implementation for people? Not Zero, but pretty close to Zero impact in implementation.

At 179 pounds, why should my airfare cost the same as someone that weighs 400 pounds? The cost to airlines is directly related to weight. 100 people at 100 pounds costs less in fuel than 100 people at 400 pounds. I'm completely being ripped off not being dangerously obese and I really think something should be done to rectify that.

Who knows? It might cause morbidly obese people to actually address their problem rather than expecting the rest of us to teat their problem as some sort of normal thing.
Last edited by stratclub on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

lightsaber

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:57 am

Thread has deteriorated to tit for tat arguments.
Winter is coming.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos