KICT
Topic Author

PAE Airport Devoid of Aircraft on Google Maps?

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:31 am

The latest imagery from Google Maps for PAE reveals something strange. There are *no* transport category aircraft on the Boeing, ATS, and EMC ramps at PAE. I can't think of any point in the past 40+ years where this has ever happened, which leads me to believe that the aircraft are being removed intentionally (some artifacts do remain on some of the pads). I checked RNT and there are plenty of 737s there, so this seems to be relegated to PAE only. Perhaps the map is being edited manually so as to not confuse folks about where to go when the terminal opens?

https://goo.gl/maps/faVfeMRtqf52
People are saying. Believe me.

RobK

Re: PAE Airport Devoid of Aircraft on Google Maps?

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:11 pm

How very strange! Zoom in closely on the Boeing ramp stalls and also the EMC ramp and you can see remnants of the planes where they have clearly been photoshopped out.

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat? :shock:

FLLflyboy

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:23 pm

With the government contracts Boeing has, including the new AF1, could it be possible the US Governement, or Boeing themselves specifically asked Google to remove the aircraft to prevent the public from being exposed to sensitive information?

jetmatt777

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:42 pm

google sometimes uses multiple dates of imagery, and blends the two together. In these cases you see strange things such as duplicate airplanes, or even disappearing airplanes. It’s cerainly nothing tin foil hat related.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Jalap

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Google develops algorithms all the time to clean up maps.
When I checked my city recently, noticed all moving traffic was gone. Weird to see all streets and highways completely empty...

So perhaps those aircraft also were edited out by some algorithm. Would be a shame if at some point we would no longer see aircraft on maps :/

KICT
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Jalap wrote:

If that's the case, then why are the ramps at RNT and CHS not "cleaned up"?
People are saying. Believe me.

b777vna

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:28 pm

May be as you can clearly see, the taxiway from Factory to Flightline is block now
b777vna

Dalmd88

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Just a quick guess here. I would bet it has to do with multiple different aircraft showing up in the same shot over the many times it has been taken. The program takes it for moving objects and paints them out. Now the GA airplanes rarely move so it sees them as static like the buildings.

I don't think it is a sinister government plot. If you look at many military ramps for transport aircraft the planes are there. Even tough they fly a lot more than GA aircraft, they all look the same to the program when they are parked.

teachpdx

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:30 pm

It’s part of the 3D imagery algorithm for major urban areas. And it’s usually not the most up-to-date imagery. View it from Google Earth with 3D turned off and you can flip individually between all different imagery dates to see how things have changed.
Up Next: AS PDX-LAX | MU LAX-PVG-BKK | DD DMK-KBV | FD KBV-DMK-HAN | FD HAN-CNX | MU CNX-PVG-YVR

bevan7

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:26 pm

It's to do with how Google creates the 3D maps. The 3d buildings are a merger of images from a plane flying over from all 4 angles. It correlates 4 points with the same image. If something is not in all 4 angles then it assumes it is not there and doesn't render it. It is why you rarely see cars driving on the road but parked cars show up.

32andBelow

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:10 pm

I see dozens of plans in the link provided

NYPECO

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:19 pm

On mobile the ramp is filled with 787s.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Anyone know how often Google updates their satellite imagery? Back when they had both 3-D and 2-D satellite, the 2-D was ALWAYS being updated. Then, to infuriate the flat-earthers, Google did away with the newer version, and made sure their map view zoomed out to a spherical view as well.

The problem is, however, that some of their 3-D views are ridiculously out of date. The Cross Border Express terminal at TIJ hasn't even broken ground on Google 3-D. Yes, it's a free service, and yes, the map shows said location; however, I can't figure out why some locations on the planet get no love.

bmibaby737

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:21 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Anyone know how often Google updates their satellite imagery? Back when they had both 3-D and 2-D satellite, the 2-D was ALWAYS being updated. Then, to infuriate the flat-earthers, Google did away with the newer version, and made sure their map view zoomed out to a spherical view as well.

The problem is, however, that some of their 3-D views are ridiculously out of date. The Cross Border Express terminal at TIJ hasn't even broken ground on Google 3-D. Yes, it's a free service, and yes, the map shows said location; however, I can't figure out why some locations on the planet get no love.

Download Google Earth and you can see the exact date the image(s) are taken

CPH-R

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:27 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I suspect it's due to the quality of the imagery. Looking at TIJ in Google Earth, the Cross Border Express terminal is indeed absent, but hitting the historic imagery button brings it right up with imagery from 2017.

rbavfan

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 pm

32andBelow wrote:

I see dozens of empty pads, no planes.

BA

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:59 pm

rbavfan wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

If you look at it Google Maps on a desktop computer, you won't see any planes on the pads.

If you look at Google Maps on your mobile phone, it will show the latest imagery which is also not filtered and you'll see the planes.

If you want to view the latest non-filtered imagery on your desktop computer, download Google Earth.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

ACCS300

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Bing Maps shows many planes on the ramp.

https://binged.it/2DLByib

EvanWSFO

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 pm

BA wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

If you look at it Google Maps on a desktop computer, you won't see any planes on the pads.

If you look at Google Maps on your mobile phone, it will show the latest imagery which is also not filtered and you'll see the planes.

If you want to view the latest non-filtered imagery on your desktop computer, download Google Earth.

I'm looking at Google Maps on a laptop. I see plenty of aircraft. Virtually none On Google Earth.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Jalap

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:00 pm

bevan7 wrote:
It's to do with how Google creates the 3D maps. The 3d buildings are a merger of images from a plane flying over from all 4 angles. It correlates 4 points with the same image. If something is not in all 4 angles then it assumes it is not there and doesn't render it. It is why you rarely see cars driving on the road but parked cars show up.

Is this an assumption, or do you actually know how they do it?
It definitely would explain the missing traffic on roads, because those actually are moving and wouldn't show identically up on any pair, let alone set of 4, photos.
But planes usually aren't moving for at least 30 minutes, many don't even move for hours. I would expect them to show up.

So, I've been trying to find out what could be the timespan between the photos. Looking at the parked cars in my neighborhood, I see very few free parking spaces. Since cars come and go all the time, I expect the interval between shots to be short. Otherwise, more cars would have been rendered out.
I also looked at the shadow of the control tower at the airport in the link above. This is a weird shadow, it shows gradations. So, I assume the darkest part of the shadow actually was shadow on all 4 shots. The clearest part was shadow on only 1. A rough estimation of the distance between the clear part and the dark part makes me conclude that the interval can't have been more than 30 minutes. Surely with that interval, more planes should show up?

Jalap

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:06 pm

KICT wrote:
Jalap wrote:

If that's the case, then why are the ramps at RNT and CHS not "cleaned up"?

Updates always are local.
Have a look at this link: on the left side there is traffic on the highway, on the right side there isn't: https://www.google.be/maps/@50.976733,3.628594,533m/data=!3m1!1e3

WeatherPilot

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 am

If you are using http://www.Google.com/maps go to the arrow on the top left to open the side menu. Then click the three lines at the top left and check that 'Globe' is not in blue. This turns the 3D effect off and the airplanes return.

RobK

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
If you are using http://www.Google.com/maps go to the arrow on the top left to open the side menu. Then click the three lines at the top left and check that 'Globe' is not in blue. This turns the 3D effect off and the airplanes return.

Aha! This guy knows! ^

Mystery solved. :highfive:

gunsontheroof

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:16 am

*deleted*

didn't read entire thread, moot point removed.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

crownvic

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:49 am

WeatherPilot wrote:

What a great participant. Instead of all the speculation and "Robbie Roundabout" comments, somebody actually gives an informative answer and the problem is solved. Thank you WeatherPilot!

crownvic

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:51 am

By the way, not only did the planes reappear, but the new passenger terminal now shows as well along with some other runway updates to 34R.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos