mattnrsa
Topic Author

UA Continues DEN Expansion - New Flights to SRQ/VPS/PBI/PNS/BRO

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/united-a ... 00941.html

In a press release announcing expanded service to Spring Break destinations in Florida, Texas, Hawaii, the Carribean, and Mexico, UA detailed five new markets from DEN. Flights to Sarasota, Palm Beach, Pensacola, Destin, and Brownsville/South Padre Island will begin next year.

I didn’t see specific flight information, but interesting to see the new DEN markets coming online.

jetmatt777

Re: UA Continues DEN Expansion - New Flights to SRQ/VPS/PBI/PNS/BRO

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Interesting. I wonder if these are seasonal? Or year round?
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

enilria

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:00 pm

That’s a terrible press release. No schedule. Not even frequency of these. It says new flights for Spring Break so I’m guessing these just operate a half dozen Saturdays, but unknown.

stlgph

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:07 pm

It's written just fine. You never put subtractions in your promotions.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Runway28L

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:08 pm

From UA.com:

UA427 320 DEN 1050 SRQ 1625
UA904 320 SRQ 1605 DEN 1810

UA4701 ERJ DEN 1115 VPS 1505
UA4775 ERJ VPS 1600 DEN 1810

UA5382 175 DEN 1115 PNS 1500
UA5688 175 PNS 1600 DEN 1810

UA381 320 DEN 1540 PBI 2129
UA1163 320 PBI 0655 DEN 0825

UA5337 175 DEN 1100 BRO 1440
UA5292 175 BRO 1531 DEN 1731

SRQ, VPS, PNS, and BRO are Sat only and run from 3/9-3/30

The PBI inbound is Sat only while the outbound is Sun only due to the aircraft being an RON. Runs 3/9-3/31

fraspotter

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Would be nice if they made the seasonal 2nd daily flight to RIC a year round flight.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

mtnwest1979

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Big deal, 20 flights all told it seems. But it is good to see them giving these a whirl none-the-less.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

EvanWSFO

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Looks like Spring Break destinations. Just what South Padre needs. More drunk college kids.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

sw733

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Looks like Spring Break destinations. Just what South Padre needs. More drunk college kids.

The economy of South Padre would be very negatively impacted if drunk college kids stopped coming. Like them or not, they stay in accommodations, they eat meals, they buy beverages, they buy souvenirs and pay for experiences, and they contribute a lot of money to the local tax base for a 4-6 week period of the year.

In 2017, Spring Break had an estimated $30m impact on South Padre.

steex

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:34 pm

stlgph wrote:

Nobody said anything about subtractions. The issue is that the release lacks any detail at all; for example, here's what it says about the Denver adds:

Adding five new nonstop flights from Denver

United's spring network expansion also includes brand-new nonstop service to beach destinations in Florida and Texas. The airline announced it will begin service between Denver and Destin, Palm Beach, Pensacola and Sarasota, Florida, and between Denver and Brownsville/South Padre Island in Texas. With this new service, United offers more nonstop service between Denver and Florida than any other airline.

That's nice, but this suggests it'd be perfectly reasonable for me to look for a nonstop DEN-BRO flight on a Friday in April even though they evidently are flying it for only five Saturdays in March. If you happened to live in Brownsville, that might be even more unexpected if you've become accustomed to the ORD flight being Sunday-only (not Saturday). Hardly the end of the world to lack detail, but why not help people actually find the flights if you're looking to promote them?

EvanWSFO

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 pm

sw733 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

The economy of South Padre would be very negatively impacted if drunk college kids stopped coming. Like them or not, they stay in accommodations, they eat meals, they buy beverages, they buy souvenirs and pay for experiences, and they contribute a lot of money to the local tax base for a 4-6 week period of the year.

Don't take it personally. I should have used an emoji. I'm well aware of the financial benefits for S.P.I. during spring break.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

stlgph

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 pm

steex wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Nobody said anything about subtractions. The issue is that the release lacks any detail at all; for example, here's what it says about the Denver adds:

United's spring network expansion also includes brand-new nonstop service to beach destinations in Florida and Texas. The airline announced it will begin service between Denver and Destin, Palm Beach, Pensacola and Sarasota, Florida, and between Denver and Brownsville/South Padre Island in Texas. With this new service, United offers more nonstop service between Denver and Florida than any other airline.

That's nice, but this suggests it'd be perfectly reasonable for me to look for a nonstop DEN-BRO flight on a Friday in April even though they evidently are flying it for only five Saturdays in March. If you happened to live in Brownsville, that might be even more unexpected if you've become accustomed to the ORD flight being Sunday-only (not Saturday). Hardly the end of the world to lack detail, but why not help people actually find the flights if you're looking to promote them?

Because how you think it works is not how it works, or the point.

This is how it works: SELL, dont tell.

The purpose of a public relations department is to build....*public* relations.

Step 1 - United Airlines writes up a press release. Following the "sell, don't tell" policy, in this case, they target new Denver services.

Step 2 - Interested media parties in the Denver area, i.e. The Rocky Mountain News, The Denver Business Journal, Bob's Corner Rag, etc. etc. reads it and think "gee, this is great for my local audience!"

Step 3 - Interested media parties in the Denver area then *CALL* United Airlines and say hello. The two sides talk. They become friends. They ask questions and get answers.

Step 4 - Interested media parties then run information about the new services.

Step 5 - In the future, when United Airlines "needs" something in the Denver area, Mary, the United PR gal remembers that she knows Bob from Bob's Corner Rag in Denver and picks up the phone and gives him a call. Since Mary and Bob have talked before, and have that "coveted relationship with the media," Mary's chances of media placement are probably at a good 85%
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Noise

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 pm

DEN-VPS on an ERJ? Am I seeing that right?

cheapgreek

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:08 pm

sw733 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Acting like drunken fools, causing damage to hotels, driving drunk, loud and rowdy, but as long as the money comes in, that justifies bad behavior. How standards of right and wrong have been watered down. What type of adults will many turn out to be? Yup, drunken fools. In Myrtle beach, spring breaks have meant pretty much the same and even throwing TV's into the hotel pools. An old adage says, "a boy let on the loose will cause his mother shame".

fun2fly

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Big deal, 20 flights all told it seems. But it is good to see them giving these a whirl none-the-less.

They did the same in CLE for a few destinations too. I like that UA is doing this from a revenue management perspective making a/c that may be underutilized productive and getting that extra revenue.

evank516

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Noise wrote:

I thought the same thing. Ouchies.

Capt.Fantastic

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:29 pm

steex wrote:
stlgph wrote:

The purpose of the release is to spark interest and generate positive press for United. Why mention the service is limited? It's pointless to do so. Those who are interested can inquire about frequency on their own. And if these flights can't accommodate their schedule, the chances are they'll find other UA flights that do

Junction

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:29 pm

cheapgreek wrote:

Acting like drunken fools, causing damage to hotels, driving drunk, loud and rowdy, but as long as the money comes in, that justifies bad behavior. How standards of right and wrong have been watered down. What type of adults will many turn out to be? Yup, drunken fools. In Myrtle beach, spring breaks have meant pretty much the same and even throwing TV's into the hotel pools. An old adage says, "a boy let on the loose will cause his mother shame".

Oh for Pete's sake. It's not like this generation of college age kids invented spring break rowdiness. Your peers did exactly the same.

joeblow10

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:33 pm

evank516 wrote:
Noise wrote:

Not really much worse than DEN-TYS which runs with an ERJ quite frequently... (and don't get me started on the CRJ-700 I've flown from DEN-ATL before...)

Noise

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:34 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Noise wrote:

Not really much worse than DEN-TYS which runs with an ERJ quite frequently... (and don't get me started on the CRJ-700 I've flown from DEN-ATL before...)

Man, that sucks.

And I thought me flying IAH-RDU on an ERJ that one time in 2013 was bad...

sw733

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:38 pm

cheapgreek wrote:
sw733 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Most will probably turn out to be fine adults. I've done the whole South Padre spring break thing and made a fool of myself, as did many other people I still talk to today. I'm a PhD in engineering making good money. Others are doctors, lawyers, educators, and generally good people. Of course some will turn in to drunken fools, but I would put good money on the idea that the vast majority of spring breakers won't drive drunk, won't break anything, and will turn in to normal adults.

But that's beside the point - I never advocated my belief of spring break being a good or bad thing, only that it's beneficial for the economy and would hurt South Padre if it went away way more than if it stayed.

77H

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 pm

cheapgreek wrote:
sw733 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

They will likely end up like all the adults who grew up in the 70's and early 80's where drug and alcohol experimentation was very prevalent?

77H

drdisque

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:13 pm

DEN-VPS is 1210 miles. If I recall the longest ERJ route UA/CO ran was IAH-YYZ at 1280 miles.

Rdh3e

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:41 pm

drdisque wrote:
DEN-VPS is 1210 miles. If I recall the longest ERJ route UA/CO ran was IAH-YYZ at 1280 miles.

IAH-BOI which was 1,482mi.

jetmatt777

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:12 pm

drdisque wrote:

EWR-OKC was even longer at 1325.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

dfwjim1

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Didn't realize that Palm Beach and Sarasota were spring break destinations. Spring Break is not always a positive thing for communities. Fort Lauderdale used to be a huge spring break destination in the 90s until the locals got fed up with the kids and forced town hall to crack down on the partying.

sw733

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:23 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Didn't realize that Palm Beach and Sarasota were spring break destinations. Spring Break is not always a positive thing for communities. Fort Lauderdale used to be a huge spring break destination in the 90s until the locals got fed up with the kids and forced town hall to crack down on the partying.

Not every spring break destination is a party destination. People and families go on spring break to relax...not just college kids partying.

Noise

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:14 am

Rdh3e wrote:
drdisque wrote:

You gotta be kidding me.

cheapgreek

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:32 am

Junction wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:

Oh for Pete's sake. It's not like this generation of college age kids invented spring break rowdiness. Your peers did exactly the same.

Nope, cutting class and a few smoked in the lav, that was it. No violence or destruction of property. Keep accepting bad behavior and things will go from bad to worse. Binge drinking to the point of death, rapes, etc, oh well, boys will be boys. Don't kid yourself, its getting worse every year.

Rdh3e

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:25 am

cheapgreek wrote:
Don't kid yourself, its getting worse every year.

Whatever you say man....

https://www.responsibility.org/blog/Col ... To-Decline

Max Q

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:06 am

cheapgreek wrote:
sw733 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

What kind of ‘drunken fools’ ?

How about a Supreme Court Justice ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

ericm2031

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:15 am

Hopefully they are seeing how well these do and make some of them more permanent

kiowa

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:27 am

wow, did this thread go weird. I am happy to see the new routes and hope United does well with them.

727LOVER

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:38 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:

Well....it's a big deal for us on the other end, LOL
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

spinkid

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:58 am

kiowa wrote:
wow, did this thread go weird. I am happy to see the new routes and hope United does well with them.

haha. I was just about to comment the exact same thing as I was scrolling down and then ran into yours.

It totally devolved from the Topic into a very interesting debate and information session regarding

The Cost-Benefit analysis of Spring Breakers as your largest source of economic impact.

The Cost-Benefit analysis of how long you can fly on an RJ or EJ before its too uncomfortable.

The history of drug use in 18-25 year olds broken down by decade.

and the ever popular.........

Basics of Press Releases 101

phllax

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 am

Rdh3e wrote:
drdisque wrote:

And didn't BOI-IAH have the dubious distinction of being the first red-eye on an ERJ or CRJ?

FlyPNS1

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:11 pm

I was wondering at some point if UA would try DEN-PNS given that F9 flies the route 2-3x weekly and WN flies it on Sat/Sun in the summer.

UA would seem to be the strongest option for the route given all the connections at DEN, plus the ability to rightsize the aircraft to an E175. Granted, this isn't much of a trial since they'll only fly it four times in March, but at least putting a toe in the water.

I do agree though that DEN-VPS on an ERJ sounds a bit painful. I'm not even sure the economics are good given the CASM of an ERJ and the yields on a leisure route like DEN-VPS, but worth a try I guess.

FlyPNS1

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Delete duplicate post.

DL747400

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm

My first thought was let's see how long this lasts. UA doesn't have the presence, customer base or brand loyalty in Florida to be able to sustain these routes.

Makes a bit more sense now that we see that these are SAT-only routes which being added for a few weeks during Spring Break.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

jetmatt777

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 pm

DL747400 wrote:
My first thought was let's see how long this lasts. UA doesn't have the presence, customer base or brand loyalty in Florida to be able to sustain these routes.

Makes a bit more sense now that we see that these are SAT-only routes which being added for a few weeks during Spring Break.

Have to start somewhere

jetblastdubai

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:47 pm

DL747400 wrote:

I would think these flights are for pax going TO Florida and not necessarily geared toward Florida residents. UA definitely has the customer base and brand loyalty in DEN and the surrounding Mountain West areas.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

EvanWSFO

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Max Q wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:
sw733 wrote:

What kind of ‘drunken fools’ ?

The same drunken fools that probably 75% of people on this site were at one time or another?

How about a Supreme Court Justice ?

I don't do politics on here, but since you mentioned it, he is way out of league.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos