Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

richiemo
Topic Author

Dulles - 'Airport 1975'

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 am

I've changed planes many times at IAD but for the first time ever on Saturday I actually got off a plane and went downtown. I was shocked to see that they still use those big people-movers (or whatever you call those things) to move people from terminal to terminal. It reminded me of the scene from Airport '75 when Karen Black used one to go meet Charlton Heston at the lounge. I'd have assumed they'd have an underground tunnel by now. It was a cool experience to ride one. Listen, modern conveniences are good and all but sometimes the throwback can be really fun. They have those people movers at IAD on my flight sim but I thought it was just outdated.

atcsundevil

Re: Dulles - Airport 1975

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 am

richiemo wrote:
I've changed planes many times at IAD but for the first time ever on Saturday I actually got off a plane and went downtown. I was shocked to see that they still use those big people-movers (or whatever you call those things) to move people from terminal to terminal. It reminded me of the scene from Airport '75 when Karen Black used one to go meet Charlton Heston at the lounge. I'd have assumed they'd have an underground tunnel by now. It was a cool experience to ride one. Listen, modern conveniences are good and all but sometimes the throwback can be really fun. They have those people movers at IAD on my flight sim but I thought it was just outdated.

There is an underground train. It's been in operation for about a decade. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroTrain_(Washington_Dulles_International_Airport)

The big busses are called Mobile Lounges. They're still used in some cases because it's quicker to/from the C/D Concourse. The AeroTrain station for C/D is located roughly 100m from the concourse itself, because that's where the C/D replacement will eventually go. They're also used for passengers being taken to the International Arrivals Building for customs, because it's the only sterile means of transport from the concourses to the IAB.

They also still use the Plane Mates (the busses that mate directly with aircraft), as it's quicker and more comfortable than conventional busses from remote stands.

quickmover

Re: Dulles - 'Airport 1975'

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 am

I believe STL had one of those movers back in the 90s. They used it to shuttle from mid c concourse over to d concourse (the old ozark gates

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:37 am

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've been dying to share this forever.

I have hopes one day of flying to South Africa one day SAN-IAD-ACC or DSS-JNB and on the return getting to ride in one of these vehicles.

Cunard

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:50 am

There is already a current thread discussing airport ''mobile lounges''.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

thomasphoto60

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:26 am

Yeah, I rode a few at JFK in the 80s, interesting ride.
"Show me the Braniffs"

OzarkD9S

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:53 am

[quote="quickmover"

I believe STL had one of those movers back in the 90s. They used it to shuttle from mid c concourse over to d concourse (the old ozark gates[/quote]

You are correct and I believe the mobile lounge departure point was known as Dock J IIRC.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

FlyHossD

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:53 am

atcsundevil wrote:
...The AeroTrain station for C/D is located roughly 100m from the concourse itself, because that's where the C/D replacement will eventually go.

Off on a tangent, I know, but is there actually a plan to build such a replacement concourse at IAD?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

TWA772LR

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:07 am

I rode these when i departed from IAD in 2016. We got practically up close and personal with a SA A346 as we were on our way to C/D. It was really cool!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

oldannyboy

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 am

CDG had them too! they were cool... Not sure they are still extant....

ClassicLover

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:13 pm

You also see them in The Concorde: Airport '79 (or, as it was called in the UK and Australia, Airport '80: The Concorde). You see one of the cast board one and then sit inside reading some documents.

When you arrive from abroad into Dulles, you get off the flight, go down stairs and into one of those Mobile Lounges which take you to the international arrivals building. I think they're really cool as they're just so different to anywhere else in the world.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

atcsundevil

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
Off on a tangent, I know, but is there actually a plan to build such a replacement concourse at IAD?

Not currently. United and the MWAA engage in talks from time to time, but they never seem to be on the right page. They're currently expanding parts of the existing concourse for a Polaris lounge, so that indicates to me that it's here to stay for a while. So, it would appear that the C/D Concourse AeroTrain station will continue to be more of a hassle than the mobile lounges for the foreseeable future.

jfklganyc

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 pm

It is an awful airport.

It was a mess 30 years ago and it is a mess now.

Stupid design. Let’s build an airport with concourses that dont connect in anyway

PanHAM

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Montrea Mirabel had them too and the building looked like the one at Dulles as well.

That was always a pITA, it could take 20 minutes or more till that bloody thiung started moving,. Most People could have walked the distance back and firth in that time.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

September11

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:08 pm

STL had those in mid-1980s, right after TWA/Ozark merger.

DCA, LGA, & EWR.. they have those "shuttle bus" but passengers will have to go downstairs, go outside, go for a short walk on the ramp, and go upstairs. Mobile lounges are way more convenient.
Airliners.net of the Future

global2

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:09 pm

[quote="PSAatSAN4Ever"]Image

Excellent! :lol: The movie was kind of cheesy but had spectacular photography of the Queen of the Skies flying between those mountains!

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:27 pm

global2 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Excellent! :lol: The movie was kind of cheesy but had spectacular photography of the Queen of the Skies flying between those mountains!

And given your name, here's another you'll enjoy:

ojjunior

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:33 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Wait, what??
Was this really a published ad?

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:58 pm

ojjunior wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Wait, what??
Was this really a published ad?

No, never. Both airlines are completely fake, as both airlines existed only in the movies. This is what you can do with copying and pasting images, although these were given to me.

N9675 flew with American until 1984, when it went to fly with UPS until 2005. N324F was a 707-349C painted to look like Trans Global. That plane was eventually sold to TransBrasil and crashed on approach to landing at GRU.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos