Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ednort
Topic Author

UA ending PHl-IAD express service.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Surprised to find that UA is ending non stop service between IAD and PHL ( 4 flights) after Jan. 7, after many years of service. Sorry to see this go! Apparently this is not coming back any time soon.

FLIHGH

Re: UA ending PHl-IAD express service.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:37 pm

This will leave them with ZERO flights from Philly to any airport on the east coast.

ual763

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:40 pm

FLIHGH wrote:
This will leave them with ZERO flights from Philly to any airport on the east coast.

Not even EWR?
From flying to the NOTAM office

Bobloblaw

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:41 pm

Seems like a bad move given united wants IAD to be a connecting hub

STT757

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:21 pm

ual763 wrote:
FLIHGH wrote:

Not even EWR?

UA codeshares with Amtrak from EWR to Philadelphia, Stamford, New Haven and Wilmington.

Also between NY Penn and Boston and Washington DC on Acela Express.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/earn-miles/amtrak.html
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

SFOtoORD

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:26 pm

ednort wrote:
Surprised to find that UA is ending non stop service between IAD and PHL ( 4 flights) after Jan. 7, after many years of service. Sorry to see this go! Apparently this is not coming back any time soon.

Believe this was announced a few months ago.

phluser

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:32 pm

It actually makes sense. UA flies PHL-ORD, DEN, IAH already for O&D and can steer more connections through those hubs. If one is going south domestic, because of PHL having nonstops to those markets, there was likely low desirability of a UA ticket like PHL-IAD-RDU or PHL-IAD-MCO and few takers. Lastly, UA knows a lot of PHL pax head up to EWR for international. Since the NJ Turnpike widening expansion and even more recent I-95 continuous route to Turnpike, it's been a big boon for UA at EWR/loss for AA at PHL. There is also the Amtrak codeshare (ZFV) which is used by some, most those that live in Philly. The one to watch is MDT-IAD. I think UA will keep that, as it's limited to only MDT-ORD otherwise and MDT doesn't have the variety of nonstops like PHL.

atcsundevil

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:33 pm

This was posted and discussed in an OAG update thread last month. I'm guessing this is a risk vs. reward thing; not enough O&D pax, and these flights are at risk of some pretty massive delays, especially on bad weather days. PHL gets shafted from a traffic management perspective — it's kind of the redheaded stepchild of the northeast — so I'll assume a short hop to IAD isn't really worth the effort of having to reaccommodate misconnects regularly.

The OAG thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1406163

crescent

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Agreed. When UA says it wants to use IAD as a connecting hub, it means to cities you cannot get between with one flight only, UA or any other airline- the IND-IAD-ORF types for example.

STT757

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:05 pm

phluser wrote:
It actually makes sense. UA flies PHL-ORD, DEN, IAH already for O&D and can steer more connections through those hubs. If one is going south domestic, because of PHL having nonstops to those markets, there was likely low desirability of a UA ticket like PHL-IAD-RDU or PHL-IAD-MCO and few takers. Lastly, UA knows a lot of PHL pax head up to EWR for international. Since the NJ Turnpike widening expansion and even more recent I-95 continuous route to Turnpike, it's been a big boon for UA at EWR/loss for AA at PHL. There is also the Amtrak codeshare (ZFV) which is used by some, most those that live in Philly. The one to watch is MDT-IAD. I think UA will keep that, as it's limited to only MDT-ORD otherwise and MDT doesn't have the variety of nonstops like PHL.

They built that I-95 to NJ Turnpike connector quick, I think it just opened recently. Depending on what time you go you can now get to EWR from Northeast Philly in an hour ten minutes.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

GSP psgr

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:27 pm

International pax to Europe can still be routed on Air Canada via Toronto as well.

Bigant0408

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:00 am

ual763 wrote:
FLIHGH wrote:

Not even EWR?

The EWR-PHL route ended maybe 2-3 years ago but like others mentioned the Amtrak codeshare works to still connect passengers from Philadelphia to Newark airport.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

MIflyer12

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:06 am

Bobloblaw wrote:

It tells me that United doesn't think PHL-IAD-XXX is competitive against AA's PHL-XXX TATL non-stops; or, it doesn't want to give the kind of fare discounts to make that work.

PHLspecial

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:57 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

It tells me that United doesn't think PHL-IAD-XXX is competitive against AA's PHL-XXX TATL non-stops; or, it doesn't want to give the kind of fare discounts to make that work.

I don't think so either. Besides its so much cheaper fly to even books flights at NYC to fly through PHL than fly at PHL itself.

Bobloblaw

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:42 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

I mean for domestic flights. PHL should be connected to the entire UA domestic sysytem.

phluser

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:04 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

I mean for domestic flights. PHL should be connected to the entire UA domestic sysytem.

I remember a couple of years ago, I had to be in Pittsburgh last minute. AA was $400 for a PHL-PIT nonstop on Sunday, while UA had a $150 PHL-IAD-PIT flight. I ended up driving but I was close to considering that UA option. But I guess not enough people were flying via IAD for connections and justifiable. Connections via ORD and Southwest's MDW were a lot higher and not really attractive. It will be a loss for competition to certain markets. But I guess most people get their company/client to pay for the nonstop (typically only AA), or they drive when the fare is too high. I'd like to see UA restore CLE-PHL if CLE is still a focus city for UA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos