A320NK
Topic Author

Spirit BDL base?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:37 am

Rumour of a new crew base in BDL. But only a handful of flights... possible BDL expansion?

fastmover

Re: Spirit BDL base?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:39 am

A BDL base? I would be shocked.

msycajun

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:41 am

The only way I could see that is if they are replacing the ACY base or somehow have a BDL base also serve BOS and LGA/EWR flights. MCO was just announced as a new base with almost 50 flights. BDL is nowhere close to that.

flymco753

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:09 am

I dont see it happening unless they add a slew of destinations, which at this time I can only see maybe 3 stations being added in the meantime.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

A320NK
Topic Author

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 am

Official announcement Dec 4. I assume a lot of new routes. I imagine BDL-LAS, BDL-DFW

flymco753

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Well if it's official, then I could see them adding several routes to Op Bases and Focus Cities by branching beyond Florida. BDL-DTW would definitely be seasonal, but I can see adds to MSY, IAH, DFW, ORD, and LAS for the time being. This is on top of the already served MYR, MCO, FLL, TPA, and RSW. DTW, MSY, IAH, DFW, ORD, MYR, TPA, and RSW would all be daily, that's 8 flights, plus double daily MCO and FLL would be 2 each so 8+4 is 12, I'd say that's pretty significant.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

stlgph

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Been a while since I've been there but isn't BDL packed to the gills with gate utilization?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jmscsc

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:06 pm

WOW ... shocking. I didn't think that they'd do that well at BDL. Good for them and good for BDL.

Yes, stlgph, it seemed to me a few weeks back when I flew out of BDL that the gates were well utilized. I fly into BDL on Friday, so I'll take a walk around and see what the situation looks like. I remember seeing a good number of the gates near Spirit being used by AA, but there might be a free one since that upstart (Onejet?) that was flying BDL - PIT is no longer around.

stlgph

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:29 pm

I agree - good for BDL - but if Spirit even comes in and just adds 5-6 daily flights, I pity the fool trying to fly out of there when a storm blows through. Zoiks.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

msycajun

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:51 pm

Given NK likes to go big when they expand, I wouldn't be surprised to see a double or even tripling of flights, but even that would still leave them out of the top 10 NK stations and very small for a base.

Then again, I did hear someone else mention a possible BWI base. That would make much more sense, given the size of their operation there. Probably in conjunction with closing the ACY base. Perhaps whoever circulated the OP's rumor got BDL and BWI mixed up?

jetblueguy22

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Sounds like a CT Spotters Facebook group wishlist. Can’t think of a single reason why this would make sense
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

globetrotter29

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:39 pm

NK does appear to be pretty successful at BDL. They originally started with once daily flights year round flights to MCO and FLL as well as seasonal service to MYR in 2017. MCO/FLL quickly went to 2x daily. TPA and RSW were added later that year. I believe TPA is now year round. Additionally I've seen the MYR flight go double daily during peak season (I definitely remember 2x daily during Memorial Day). NK obviously has no problem filling planes at BDL and given that they have only grown since launching BDL, they must be profitable since NK has no issues nixing weak routes.

I could definitely see NK expanding at BDL. PBI seems like very low hanging fruit given that they serve all other major FL stations. LAS seems feasible given the low cost of oil. Other stations NK may consider from BDL: DFW, ORD, MSY, BNA, CHS. Currently there is no nonstop service to PIT so it would be interesting to see if they try to capture that market.

Maybe they might even give SJU or PUJ a shot.

joeblow10

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Maybe a long shot... but with the way they've been adding to/from DEN, would not be shocked to see DEN-BDL as well

Super80Fan

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:45 pm

As someone who has BDL as one of my home airports, as much as I would like to see this I can't see it happening unless they know something I don't. Currently they operate out of Gate A26, which is the only gate they use. They would have to steal/borrow a gate from UA and/or AA if they were expanding flights.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

LotsaRunway

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:15 pm

If true and NK expansion comes along with it, I wonder how WN and the legacies will react? BDL has a pretty good balance of service between airlines. Rapid expansion into ULCC is going to rock demand, yields and service from other airlines at BDL. One would hope that everybody stays at the table and fights for their share, but I'm increasingly noticing airlines walking back service when yields suffer in a non-major markets. I suspect that WN will not have the same patience for losses at BDL as they do at BOS.

crescent

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:30 pm

BOS is a growing and high-yielding market. BDL is neither. Hartford continues to lose jobs to NYC & BOS.

fastmover

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:36 am

A320NK wrote:
Official announcement Dec 4. I assume a lot of new routes. I imagine BDL-LAS, BDL-DFW

Yeah I’ll check back. A crew base out of almost nothing? If anything it would be bwi. This is like the B6 thread where a guy posted a for sure announcement of a bunch of stuff being cut and it didn’t happen.
I’ll be happy to be wrong I just don’t see it.

travaz

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:48 am

I fly to BDL about 2 times a year to visit Family and I have never seen it "Crazy" busy yes but not like LGA. I also seem to remember seeing some sort of expansion going on last time I was there. I always use AA so it is in the same gate area. I think there is one gate empty but I may not be remembering correctly. I will say every time I have been there NK seems pretty full of College and Seniors. I don't see NK taking over BDL as AA ET Al will not let that happen. AA and UA have a long history at BDL.

rampwidget

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:25 am

crescent wrote:
BOS is a growing and high-yielding market. BDL is neither. Hartford continues to lose jobs to NYC & BOS.

Bear in mind that Bradley doesn’t only attract Hartford and Springfield traffic. It draws business from the northern NYC and western Boston suburbs, where it is faster and much easier to get to BDL than to Logan, LaGuardia, or Kennedy.

A320NK
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Apologies, the “email” my friend showed me is fake. Sorry to all!

CairnterriAIR

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 pm

No worries. My home Airport is BDL and I can first hand tell you that the terminal is pretty much maxed out. At least until the planned additional terminal is constructed, where would they load and unload with only one gate?Not inconceivable for Spirit to add more routes in the future though.

F27500

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:46 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Sounds like a CT Spotters Facebook group wishlist. Can’t think of a single reason why this would make sense

To be honest, ifthere was a wishlist from a group like this, I doubt Spirit would be the star of it! I'm sure they'd be wishing for more like BA or LH or anyone's widebodies.

Spirit? Not so much.

spinkid

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:51 am

A320NK wrote:
Apologies, the “email” my friend showed me is fake. Sorry to all!

Fun speculation, but as you can see from the Original Poster, it was based off a fake email from a friend.

Perhaps mods should delete?

A320NK
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:03 am

My friend called the MCO base long before. He showed me an email. I argued forever with him. He ended up being right. He showed me this BDL email. We both found out it is fake. I want to admit this ASAP and please delete if it is a problem. Again, sorry and thanks for not blasting me.

atcsundevil

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:33 am

Since it appears the information is incorrect, the thread will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos