Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CLTRampRat
Topic Author

Internal AA survey results: Management untrusted.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:57 am

A couple of months ago AA put out an internal survey asking their employees how they felt about a number of topics, including management. The results of the survey have been released and were summed up and analyzed in the following article.

Working at an AA hub I constantly hear the repeated rhetoric of “somethings gotta give.”
At what point does that something give?

Anyway, apologies as always if discussed, I didn’t see it, however things related to my posts tend to show up after I hit submit.

http://theforwardcabin.com/2018/11/20/american-employees-dont-trust-their-managers-the-latest-american-voice-survey/

strfyr51

Re: Internal AA survey results: Management untrusted.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:12 am

American is run former USAir Management. USAir was by far the smallest of the majors and had the Least worldwide operational experience. If one were to Look at their past mergers? They were NOT very successful. Piedmont, Pacific Southwest etc. They seemed to have frittered away every advantage if the carriers they merged with.. I can see why the guys at American do not seem to warm up to them. Their BEST managers are now running United.

smartplane

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:43 am

All about trends. How does this feedback compare with the previous survey?

63% didn't complete the survey. That group is usually considered satisfaction neutral (but definitely not if the survey was run in-house, or by a third party seen as partial or connected to the company).

It's the putting right that counts. Releasing results, which creates an expectation of change, just before the busiest time of the year, when favourable change is least likely, doesn't seem smart.

0newair0

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:51 am

smartplane wrote:
Releasing results, which creates an expectation of change, just before the busiest time of the year, when favourable change is least likely, doesn't seem smart.

This is the slow time of the year. The best time for changing anything at a US airline is between September and April.
That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

par13del

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:24 am

Makes no sense, AA employees pushed for the current management when in Chpt.11, they got what they wanted, this is fake news.

USAirKid

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:52 am

strfyr51 wrote:
American is run former USAir Management. USAir was by far the smallest of the majors and had the Least worldwide operational experience. If one were to Look at their past mergers? They were NOT very successful. Piedmont, Pacific Southwest etc. They seemed to have frittered away every advantage if the carriers they merged with.. I can see why the guys at American do not seem to warm up to them. Their BEST managers are now running United.

The USAir Management largely left when America West and USAirways merged, so calling back to Piedmont and PSA which were merged into US long before the AW and US merger was closed isn't a valid argument.

PM-AA could be said to have frittered away their AirCal purchase amongst other purchases.

Chemist

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:02 am

American went from a great legacy in the 90's to the bottom of the legacy barrel.

ual763

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:19 am

I just flew 3 flights on American today. They were all very nice and pleasant. MD-80, B737-Max8, & A321! I desperately want to see AAL get it’s intl. footprint back.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Airbuser

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:23 am

It makes sense. From a pilot perspective the AWA, USAIR, and AAL Pilots wanted to move forward. Get what our peers had. Options were not available for any group. Go for the money then fix work rules was a consensus. It was expedited to a vote with little knowledge of each other’s work rules. The AWA And USAIR Pilots had little idea how poor AA pilot work rules were. AA Pilots did not know how good their work rules were. The result was a money driven “YEAH” vote on a decent money contract with work rules worse than our flow through pilots from Wholly owned subsidiary’s.

Last year I made $60k less than my counterpart at Delta. I have been at AA 9 years longer than she at Delta. I flew more hours than them and averaged two days on the road more.

We feel beaten down and no one is listening. I know I make a great living but when management makes promises and assurances then they fail to come to fruition it becomes frustrating. The results of our in house survey are worse than last year.

Isom is toast.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:24 am

smartplane wrote:
All about trends. How does this feedback compare with the previous survey?

63% didn't complete the survey. That group is usually considered satisfaction neutral (but definitely not if the survey was run in-house, or by a third party seen as partial or connected to the company).

It's the putting right that counts. Releasing results, which creates an expectation of change, just before the busiest time of the year, when favourable change is least likely, doesn't seem smart.

You are absolutely correct to cite all the relevant data about this survey, lest anyone jump to conclusions until all the relevant variables have been accounted for.

* Are there any relevant demographics in the results?
* Is there a reason why 63% didn't vote?
* Do AA employees feel their voice matters at all?

When employees feel valued and like they are an asset to the company, you will get the 110% effort. When you make it known that their requests for a living wage are one of the signs of he next round of bankruptcy and that they should be grateful just have below-poverty level wage jobs, you get a circus side-show worthy of Barnum & Bailey. Every airline operates within this spectrum, and every airline has had its highs and lows. If more than half don't vote, that doesn't look good for morale.

Flighty

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:10 am

strfyr51 wrote:

You make correct points. US was the smallest "legacy major" of a certain description, if you except Alaska, Midwest, etc,

The US-HP merger was plenty successful. Two weak players cleaned up their balance sheet and the track record became recognized on Wall Street. It was well managed. Around that time (2008-2012), AA was perceived as floundering. They had so many assets and strengths, but Arpey could not figure out how to maintain, much less improve the situation. So Wall St hired Doug and Scott to run AA, and combine networks, which I think is under-appreciated. The combined network works about as well as Delta's.

You're right that Kirby and other ex US managers currently run UA today, and you kind of hint that is a good thing. They are employing exactly the same skill (sharp pencils) that in my view helped AA. I think AA is losing steam, but their merger has gone acceptably well. UAL has been a basket case that shows great promise at the moment.

silentbob

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:10 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Some didn't participate because they don't trust the company. Some of those that did have experienced retaliation for participating. It's not really an anonymous survey when all they do is remove the employee name from the answers when they give those answers, verbatim, to the managers of those departments. Constructive criticism isn't appreciated by some folks.

questions

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:27 am

I would never take an employee survey. They’re totally useless.

Ineffective HR departments act like these “engagement” surveys are so important — they may be to the sr executives IF part of their bonus is tied to the results. However the average Joe gets no benefit. HR is absolutely clueless in interpreting them and usually just listen to the consultants’ blather. I heard one HR “business partner” say, “This is how your manager will know if you’re engaged or not. Engaged workers are more productive and are at less risk of flight.” I wanted to respond, “Look you feckless whore. Hire managers that TALK to and build working relationships with their people. Engagement will go up and you can save money by canning the survey.” She wouldn’t have understood any of that.

Data can be a good thing. However, you don’t need a survey at a company like AA to determine where the pot holes are. You need leaders.

usairways787

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 am

From an employees perspective, morale is at an all time low. US Airways has come in completely run the operation into the ground. I understand it was a merger, I understand changes are inevitable, what I don't understand is this. They've made operational changes, and not listened to the front line employees as to why it won't work. When it doesn't work they blame us, then praise us for our hard work in the media to save face. They've cleaned house of a lot of AA management, over 50 in DFW alone, some 20+ year employees. Their replacements are of those that have no airline, or management experience, the only aviation experience they have is when they were passengers on planes.

During times of negotiations, stalling was the game. Making promises to the commitment of a better quality of life, industry leading while also building brand new headquarters, and then sending two work groups into section 6 meditations. Promises not kept. It was also made perfectly open to everyone at AA, that the pilots, and FA's will begin negotiations a year early out of good faith, while keeping two work groups underwater. No product consistency. Consistency, Consistency, Consistency. Why oh why would you be proud to offer a product in the sky that substandard to other airlines? You fly AA from one coast to another, and you have two very different experiences. Some of our most frequent and loyal fliers are going elsewhere because the benefits and perks are no longer worth the loyalty, loyalty in this business is bought.

$20 billion in debt. I don't care if you own the largest most profitable company in world, under no circumstance is it ever acceptable to have $20 billion in debt while 100,000+ employees are counting on you to keep that paycheck coming. One turn of events, and AA is the first to go.

In conclusion, you have top executives that don't care about anything except their stock options, and the millions in salary. They've taken the crown jewel, the AA name, and turned it into a larger US Airways. It's too big of an operation with the mentality of the current management to run. They have absolutely zero clue how to run a globally recognized brand.

US787

smartplane

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:42 am

silentbob wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Some didn't participate because they don't trust the company. Some of those that did have experienced retaliation for participating. It's not really an anonymous survey when all they do is remove the employee name from the answers when they give those answers, verbatim, to the managers of those departments. Constructive criticism isn't appreciated by some folks.

If that's truly how the survey was conducted, it's a sham.

Never ceases to amaze how unethical some can be. I worked with a client who created a fictitious survey company and postal address. Another that wanted to view all completed forms. And multiple that wanted to watermark or ID in other ways, to identify departments. In these circumstances, if a client insists, we walk.

The client and their staff should NEVER open or see completed forms. It's either in-house, in which case I recommend staff members not to participate, and non-completion should be treated as negative.

If responses were handled in-house, then the 67% who didn't respond, should be considered not as neutral, but as negative, fearing reprisals.

MSPNWA

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 am

Oh the lovable employee surveys. I'm surprised if management was viewed favorably in any company. The complaints I hear from AA are present at every airline. Do your job well, and the rest will take care of itself. Intentionally doing your part to sink the company isn't going to garner the results you desire.

strfyr51

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:49 am

Say what you want about employee surveys, BUT!! You cannot MANDATE employee commitment!! You have to have their trust to go the extra mile and unless they're stupid? You won't know when or IF they're willing to go the extra mile. I've worked under hard conditions while at United when before the Bankruptcy we had managers who sought to rape and bankrupt the company like the management team at TWA did. We went forth to buy the company until the senior managers saw we weren't JUST going to Bend OVER and get Porked.!! Many of us believe the CH-11 was staged. But it was what it was. it's taken some time for senior management to regain the trust. And Commitment.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Wasn't there a thread a while back about AA's investors upset that the airline was spending its profits on new planes and raises for employees instead of being dumped directly into the trough? Yes, I'm exaggerating and being snide, but not my much. We all know what vulture capitalism is and what it can do, especially in the U.S. Too little attention is paid to the long-term operations and sustainability and is instead given only to short-term gains for a few at the expense of the rest.

Flighty

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:33 pm

AA has spent everything it can on employees and the operation, right? That is why shareholders were mad. The business may not yield quite the cash flow that Delta does, so the main people getting money (pilots) are getting less than Delta. We are hearing both sides here, AA debt is too high and they're not spending enough on the operation. I guess that implies they could be running the network better. According to some. That was the sales pitch the last takeover so we are hearing the same pitch here. Is it credible? What specifically should they cut in order to fund the improvements mentioned and pay down debt? And remember Board of Directors represents shareholders. So this is your pitch to them.

Art at ISP

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 pm

The survey results are indicative of a larger problem. You cannot manage a successful business by spreadsheet alone. Doug Parker and his team have managed death by 1000 cuts. They have contempt for their employees, and especially their customers. They only care about shareholders, which is wrong--just plain wrong.
I would urge the AA management apologists here to take another look at Gordon Bethune's book "From Worst to First", the story of how he turned around CO.

I have been in meetings between Doug and frequent travelers like myself where he had less knowledge of the operation than we did. He has a clear contempt for high volume and high dollar flyers, and has as much as said so on many occasions...sometimes right to our faces.

Most of the employees are demoralized because management has taken away the tools they need to do their jobs and help customers. Doug even said this week that he thinks on time operations are more important to customers than customer service.....WRONG. They care about the whole thing--other airlines offer better on time performance and better customer service, and have happy customers. I know many AA Executive Platinum flyers and Concierge Key flyers who are ready to jump ship.... the business is Doug's to lose.

Back in 2002 I co-founded an advocacy group which was organized to fight a potential change to US Airways' Dividend Miles Program. The group got almost 500 members at one point, and within 10 days, US reversed their planned changes. If you don't listen to your employees and customers, you don't have a chance.

Oh and I might add that the only reason AA is profitable today is from the sale of FF miles....their actual operation is a money losing enterprise..... so go ahead Doug, continue to alienate your employees and best customers.....let's see where you are a year from now.

Wacker1000

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:23 pm

usairways787 wrote:
From an employees perspective, morale is at an all time low. US Airways has come in completely run the operation into the ground.

The operation was abysmal before the merger as well. The only difference is the current management has higher expectations and that places the burden on people below them. Just because no one looked doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

As for AA's luxurious product being ruined by US Air, everyone must have been wearing rose colored glasses while flying on the 777-200s and 737s. They were barely better than the worst LUS product (aside from they fact they were less full - makes that coach seat more luxurious.)

The problem now is LUS management is trying to run LAA like LUS. The LAA network is more complex and this model isn't plug and play. LAA's promotion habits have also put quite a few L6-8s in positions they shouldn't be in. The people above them have a good vision that they don't agree with, they twist it to make it LAA, and by the time it gets to the rank and file it's a total trainwreck.

NYCAAer

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:14 pm

29 year legacy AA F/A here. I did the survey thinking it was done by an outside consulting firm. A lot of people on here have hit the nail on the head about the problems going on. When I started with AA in the late ‘80s, it was an airline to be proud of. A lot of that had to do with Crandall. We knew that he was a fighter, and he also wanted to provide the best service possible. Then as the years went by, the product didn’t continue with the times under the management that followed Crandall’s legacy.

To be honest, when Tom Horton and his team took over during the Chapter 11 filing, things were looking up on the customer service front. Horton and his team were focused on making AA competitive by focusing on product. They were the ones who gave us the 777-300 and the A321T with their amazing cabins, they introduced the business class bar on international widebodies that passengers just LOVE, our standard of inflight catering was raised and it was internally called the International Premium Experience, we took classes on the new first class and business class meal service with its new china, glassware, linens and service presentation. They also planned to install inseat videos on ALL aircraft, which passengers like, and they were responsible for the whole rebranding of the company. It was kind of like going back to the good old days when AA was among the best out there. All these things contributed to the customer experience, and when you know you’re offering a good product, it’s easier to do your job. Maybe I’m one of the few out there, but I thought Horton had class and he was doing a good job. Also Virasb Vahidi did some great things.

Then when the merger happened, and the America West team took over, all of the great things that Horton and Co. brought to the company were taken away. Video screens are being removed, catering quality went down, and then the cabins were densified. We have unworkable galleys on the 787, we have the uncomfortable 737 Max and “Project Oasis” to make the 738s as uncomfortable as the Max. The 787-9 doesn’t even have the business class bar.

I personally want my customers to have the “best of everything” as one of our advertising campaigns said back in the ‘70s. I do care. But I feel helpless to do anything for them. I spend more time apologizing for the shortcomings than before. Sure, Delta might be configuring their planes as densely as ours, but they make up for it by still offering their customers something, like a video screen at their seat, and by being innovators, not imitators. Quite often, that little something extra DOES make a difference.

As for the debt levels, we feel that money from the company’s revenue should have been used to pay it down. But instead it was used for stock buybacks, because it raises the share price, and the top is paid in shares of the company. What better way to make millions for yourself, at the expense of our customers and employees.

I don’t know what the legacy US employees think, but those of us from AA are praying that this is cyclical and hope that someday AA can be revived to its former glorious past of the golden Crandall years.

slvrblt

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:04 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
29 year legacy AA F/A here. I did the survey thinking it was done by an outside consulting firm. A lot of people on here have hit the nail on the head about the problems going on. When I started with AA in the late ‘80s, it was an airline to be proud of. A lot of that had to do with Crandall. We knew that he was a fighter, and he also wanted to provide the best service possible. Then as the years went by, the product didn’t continue with the times under the management that followed Crandall’s legacy.

To be honest, when Tom Horton and his team took over during the Chapter 11 filing, things were looking up on the customer service front. Horton and his team were focused on making AA competitive by focusing on product. They were the ones who gave us the 777-300 and the A321T with their amazing cabins, they introduced the business class bar on international widebodies that passengers just LOVE, our standard of inflight catering was raised and it was internally called the International Premium Experience, we took classes on the new first class and business class meal service with its new china, glassware, linens and service presentation. They also planned to install inseat videos on ALL aircraft, which passengers like, and they were responsible for the whole rebranding of the company. It was kind of like going back to the good old days when AA was among the best out there. All these things contributed to the customer experience, and when you know you’re offering a good product, it’s easier to do your job. Maybe I’m one of the few out there, but I thought Horton had class and he was doing a good job. Also Virasb Vahidi did some great things.

Then when the merger happened, and the America West team took over, all of the great things that Horton and Co. brought to the company were taken away. Video screens are being removed, catering quality went down, and then the cabins were densified. We have unworkable galleys on the 787, we have the uncomfortable 737 Max and “Project Oasis” to make the 738s as uncomfortable as the Max. The 787-9 doesn’t even have the business class bar.

I personally want my customers to have the “best of everything” as one of our advertising campaigns said back in the ‘70s. I do care. But I feel helpless to do anything for them. I spend more time apologizing for the shortcomings than before. Sure, Delta might be configuring their planes as densely as ours, but they make up for it by still offering their customers something, like a video screen at their seat, and by being innovators, not imitators. Quite often, that little something extra DOES make a difference.

As for the debt levels, we feel that money from the company’s revenue should have been used to pay it down. But instead it was used for stock buybacks, because it raises the share price, and the top is paid in shares of the company. What better way to make millions for yourself, at the expense of our customers and employees.

I don’t know what the legacy US employees think, but those of us from AA are praying that this is cyclical and hope that someday AA can be revived to its former glorious past of the golden Crandall years.

30 year AA'er here. Your post is right on the mark. I too thought Horton was on the right track; he didn't have enough time to see his plans to fruition. I personally doubt we needed this merger at all - I think AA would have come out of BK just fine, it's USAir at the time that would have foundered had the merger not occurred. This AA is just USAir with another name; for me, the real American Airlines died in 2013.
..everything works out in the end.

kiowa

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:32 pm

I find it sad that the livelihoods of so many AA employees lies in the hands of temporary, inept management. They are still my second favorite airline. I flew them several times last month. Professional employees and good flights.

brianz24

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 pm

I appreciate your perspective. As a passenger (CK for the last 2 years, in fact), I have come to the same conclusion. The real AA is dead and we are left with US-West under a new name. It's a shame. I used to love to fly; now it's something to endure.

slvrblt wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:

30 year AA'er here. Your post is right on the mark. I too thought Horton was on the right track; he didn't have enough time to see his plans to fruition. I personally doubt we needed this merger at all - I think AA would have come out of BK just fine, it's USAir at the time that would have foundered had the merger not occurred. This AA is just USAir with another name; for me, the real American Airlines died in 2013.

DarthLobster

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:24 pm

par13del wrote:
Makes no sense, AA employees pushed for the current management when in Chpt.11, they got what they wanted, this is fake news.

Nice try, Parker.

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:34 pm

When exactly were AA employees happy? The 80s?
I don't take responsibility at all

cheapgreek

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:48 pm

NYCAAer wrote:

You are correct on many points, I was at Airways during the dark years, the 2000's and went through chapter 22, chapter 11 twice within a few years. Siegal was a joke, said he was in it for the long haul then bailed a few months later to get his millions in bonus cash. Moral was very low as was customer service and one of their shining moments was when the were charging for water. AA had great service before the merger as I flew them many times via the RDU hub. Parker and crew give little concern for the customer, when they were adding seats on the 737-800, their comment was that Delta was adding seats so we must keep up with them. What ever happened to desiring to be better that your competition, now its a race to the bottom. Today's AA is just a larger US in disguise. I miss the trademark AA on the tails, it was known worldwide unlike the current livery that looks like a second grader's finger painting. Horton was a good man but he did not drink the corporate Kool Aid.

Tango-Bravo

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:27 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
American is run former USAir Management. USAir was by far the smallest of the majors and had the Least worldwide operational experience. If one were to Look at their past mergers? They were NOT very successful. Piedmont, Pacific Southwest etc. They seemed to have frittered away every advantage if the carriers they merged with...

For the most part, agreed. In fairness, however... isn't the CLT hub inherited with the Piedmont merger not only up and running to this day but also solidly profitable? The US acquisition of PSA was an example of a "what's the point?" merger where good money was spent to essentially shut down a non-competitor while picking up a modest fleet of well-worn aircraft that were not exactly a good fit with their fleet at the time.
Last edited by Tango-Bravo on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYCAAer

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:29 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
When exactly were AA employees happy? The 80s?

At least among the flight attendant group, yes. Crandall was a trailblazer- he came up with AAdvantage, AAirpass, got a good deal on Super 80s to grow the airline organically, bought Eastern’s Latin America network, TWA’s Heathrow routes, Continental’s Seattle-Tokyo route, and made money while doing all of it. We even had a better profit sharing plan back then! Every time you read Flagship News, something good was happening. New planes, new routes, more employees added to the roster. And he was a good negotiator- he could get favorable deals on aircraft- the 767-300 and the A300 deals come to mind, which were state of the art at the time.

The ‘90s weren’t too bad, either. Marred a bit in ‘93 due to the F/A strike, but by the mid ‘90s, we were back on track.

A lot of strengths AA has now are due to Bob Crandall, and he has been gone since 1998. Horton was one of Crandall’s protégés, and a lot of us were impressed by him during his short tenure.

AWACSooner

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 am

cheapgreek wrote:
You are correct on many points, I was at Airways during the dark years, the 2000's and went through chapter 22, chapter 11 twice within a few years. Siegal was a joke, said he was in it for the long haul then bailed a few months later to get his millions in bonus cash. Moral was very low as was customer service and one of their shining moments was when the were charging for water. AA had great service before the merger as I flew them many times via the RDU hub. Parker and crew give little concern for the customer, when they were adding seats on the 737-800, their comment was that Delta was adding seats so we must keep up with them. What ever happened to desiring to be better that your competition, now its a race to the bottom. Today's AA is just a larger US in disguise. I miss the trademark AA on the tails, it was known worldwide unlike the current livery that looks like a second grader's finger painting. Horton was a good man but he did not drink the corporate Kool Aid.

The livery change was the harbinger of worse things to come under DUI Dougie. I WANT to cheer for AA to pull out of this funk they're in, but man, every single time I've flown them the past two years has me clamoring to look at DL and WN first before ever booking AA. While the employees have been nothing but professional, the service has been really lacking...and it's obvious that there's no passion.

RyanairGuru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:19 am

The livery came under Horton, not Parker. I feel there are a few rose tinted lenses in this thread. This isn't to defend Doug Parker though, he is clearly devoid of ideas. IMHO it is becoming clearer every day that Scott Kirby was the brains behind Parker.

On that, I don't think it is fair to bash "US Airways" per se. Parker is his own man. It's no different to listening to Legacy United people go on about how "Continental" ruined United, when Smisek was universally dispised on both sides of the house. Kirby, on paper at least, is Parker's protege and yet appears to be doing a lot of good things to get United back on track. To say that someone out of Tempe can't run a quality global carrier is therefore disingenuous. United is a more "global" carrier with a larger TATL and TPAC network, and is handily outperforming AA in every operational metric. I don't say this to bash AA, but to add a bit of perspective.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

IndianicWorld

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:40 am

Each employee engagement survey is only as good as the actions undertaken after the previous years survey. Unfortunately, in most cases the results are given lip service at best, and people lose interest in participating.

Also remember that many that are satisfied tend not to participate in the survey, which leaves those most likely to take part as the most vocal that want to be heard to vent their frustrations. With such a low overall response rate in this case, it seems to be playing out in this survey too.

Many seem to look at things from an armchair CEO position, where everything is far easier and it apparently only takes one thing to make a company the envy of the industry. Things aren’t so simple.

Communication is definitely key to a successful business culture, but in an industry as competitive as this, it can be a very cyclical process of who’s performing best. At present, DL seems to have fared well lately and UA is trying to make significant changes after years of below average performance.

We wait and see how things go for them all over the next couple of years.

NYCAAer

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:43 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
The livery came under Horton, not Parker. I feel there are a few rose tinted lenses in this thread. This isn't to defend Doug Parker though, he is clearly devoid of ideas. IMHO it is becoming clearer every day that Scott Kirby was the brains behind Parker.

On that, I don't think it is fair to bash "US Airways" per se. Parker is his own man. It's no different to listening to Legacy United people go on about how "Continental" ruined United, when Smisek was universally dispised on both sides of the house. Kirby, on paper at least, is Parker's protege and yet appears to be doing a lot of good things to get United back on track. To say that someone out of Tempe can't run a quality global carrier is therefore disingenuous. United is a more "global" carrier with a larger TATL and TPAC network, and is handily outperforming AA in every operational metric. I don't say this to bash AA, but to add a bit of perspective.

I know I’m in the minority, but I love the new livery. It desperately needed updating. I felt we were in trouble when we had the “tail survey” to decide whether or not we were going to put the old AA tail back, but with the new livery. Talk about a branding disaster. The two didn’t mix. The new paint job came under Horton, the tail survey was Parker.

But to get back to the topic, USAir was a good little airline in its day. I grew up in the Northeast, and they were huge in the region. I was barely a teenager when they changed their name from Allegheny to USAir, and had good experiences flying them, as well as American. I never felt that the nickname Agony Airlines was justified. Their employees were professional, and their planes were well-maintained. The former employees of the original USAir are called Rustheads, because of the early maroon and red livery. I would have been happy working for USAir, but AA was growing at a rapid and profitable pace, and so I chose American. Good things were happening at AA, and I would read about how well they were doing in the Wall Street Journal.

It’s perhaps not Parker’s origins that have given AA its tarnished image, but more his lack of vision. If he decided to keep AA as a quality carrier, things would be different today. I can’t help but wonder what AA would be like today if Horton was still at the helm.

One other thing that’s disconcerting is how low are profits are compared to the other legacy carriers and WN. In the last two quarters, we’ve come in dead last. In the third quarter of 2018, DL made $1.3 billion, UA was around $836 million, WN $640 million, and AA brought up the bottom with just $341 million. For the “world’s largest airline,” it’s not impressive. Even UA with its P.R. disasters is doing okay. I’m not bashing UA, but it shows you can overcome obstacles and move on.

cheapgreek

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:12 am

NYCAAer wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I know I’m in the minority, but I love the new livery. It desperately needed updating. I felt we were in trouble when we had the “tail survey” to decide whether or not we were going to put the old AA tail back, but with the new livery. Talk about a branding disaster. The two didn’t mix. The new paint job came under Horton, the tail survey was Parker.

But to get back to the topic, USAir was a good little airline in its day. I grew up in the Northeast, and they were huge in the region. I was barely a teenager when they changed their name from Allegheny to USAir, and had good experiences flying them, as well as American. I never felt that the nickname Agony Airlines was justified. Their employees were professional, and their planes were well-maintained. The former employees of the original USAir are called Rustheads, because of the early maroon and red livery. I would have been happy working for USAir, but AA was growing at a rapid and profitable pace, and so I chose American. Good things were happening at AA, and I would read about how well they were doing in the Wall Street Journal.

It’s perhaps not Parker’s origins that have given AA its tarnished image, but more his lack of vision. If he decided to keep AA as a quality carrier, things would be different today. I can’t help but wonder what AA would be like today if Horton was still at the helm.

One other thing that’s disconcerting is how low are profits are compared to the other legacy carriers and WN. In the last two quarters, we’ve come in dead last. In the third quarter of 2018, DL made $1.3 billion, UA was around $836 million, WN $640 million, and AA brought up the bottom with just $341 million. For the “world’s largest airline,” it’s not impressive. Even UA with its P.R. disasters is doing okay. I’m not bashing UA, but it shows you can overcome obstacles and move on.

USair did well in the northeast due to having the most slots at LGA which gave them a monopoly on flights from the northeast to LGA. They pretty much owned the market and the fares were very high. They did not have enough LGA routes to utilize the slots so they flooded the airport with Dash-8's. Nine per day to PHL and other routes with very little profit to keep the slots but then came Jet Blue to the northeast and Southwest and the empire started to crumble. Then they gave away a greater number of LGA slots to Delta for a smaller number at DCA. It would only have been a matter of time before US would go away as a standalone airline if not for the AA merger. I think AA would have been better off today without the merger. US always did things on the cheap and that transferred over to AA.

global1

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:26 am

How quickly time alters memory.

Crandal is now the 'good ole days'. Besides AAvantage he also brought you the 'B' scale.

If Horton was on the right track, then why did the employees practically demand his head on a silver platter and insist that Laura Gladding deliver it to Doug Parker's office.
Now you have what you wanted.

Parker shows you that throwing money at employees only goes so far. It does not change, nor can it buy, a corporate culture where everyone pulls in the same direction and 'passengers' are viewed as customers.

Culture is the "secret sauce" at DL and WN.

NYCAAer

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:35 am

global1 wrote:

Crandal is now the 'good ole days'. Besides AAvantage he also brought you the 'B' scale.

If Horton was on the right track, then why did the employees practically demand his head on a silver platter and insist that Laura Gladding deliver it to Doug Parker's office.

Parker shows you that throwing money at employees only goes so far. It does not change, nor can it buy, a corporate culture where everyone pulls in the same direction and 'passengers' are viewed as customers.

Crandall has always been “the good ole days.” Yes, he brought “B” scale, but after 9 years, you became “A” scale, and AA at the time offered a future, it seemed the most stable of the major carriers of the time. AA was my first choice of an employer when I graduated from college.

It was the unions who pushed for the merger, but not all of the rank and file was in agreement, myself included. Many of my co-workers blindly thought Parker was some sort of savior. I didn’t agree, and still don’t. Some employees like to complain just for the sake of complaining. I’m not one of them, but now I say to those co-workers who thought this merger was a good idea, “I told you so!”

NYCAAer

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:36 am

global1 wrote:

Crandall has always been “the good ole days.” Yes, he brought “B” scale, but after 9 years, you became “A” scale, and AA at the time offered a future, it seemed the most stable of the major carriers of the time. AA was my first choice of an employer when I graduated from college.

It was the unions who pushed for the merger, but not all of the rank and file was in agreement, myself included. Many of my co-workers blindly thought Parker was some sort of savior. I didn’t agree, and still don’t. Some employees like to complain just for the sake of complaining. I’m not one of them, but now I say to those co-workers who thought this merger was a good idea, “I told you so!”

global1

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:52 am

I hear you.

Some people are not happy unless they are complaining.
Unfortunately many of those will never be happy, nor provide excellent customer service, no matter what you give them.

You have my respect for your pride.
Last edited by global1 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Austin787

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:52 am

global1 wrote:

Parker is just the latest CEO that AA employees love to criticize. I remember hearing complaints about previous AA CEO's - Horton, Arpey, Carty, and Crandall. I'm guessing complaints about Horton were the result of years of employee mistrust in management - regaining trust takes time. I credit Horton for working on improving the customer experience. I wonder if employees would have eventually bought in to Horton's plans, had he remained CEO. But that's water under the bridge now.

NYCAAer

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:08 am

global1 wrote:
I hear you.

Unfortunately many of those will not be happy no matter what you give them.

Thank you. No matter how awful things become, I strive to be as professional as possible. I’m just a small cog in the wheel and I can’t be held accountable for the bad decisions made by management, but I can continue to hold myself accountable for taking care of my customers as best as I can. I delight in performing random unexpected acts of kindness inflight, even if I know it’s not always appreciated. When it comes to customer service, there are no rules, only guidelines. I take care of my appearance and grooming in uniform. I work hard. Being a flight attendant is a tough job, and getting tougher.

It’s true, some people are never happy. You know the old joke, “what’s the difference between a jet engine and a flight attendant? A jet engine stops whining when the flight is over.”

cheapgreek

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:44 am

global1 wrote:

Airways employees wanted and thought Dave Siegal was going to lead them to the promised land. Employees at times are the worst judges of character and they believe what ever they are told, sort of like those running for political office. They always use the word "change" but the change is always for the worse. In the end, CEO's are always about, show me the money.

questions

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:37 am

NYCAAer wrote:

What are the drivers of the poorer financial performance?

questions

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:42 am

NYCAAer wrote:

Thanks for the post and your perspective.

I found this paragraph to be interesting. If you think of the best companies with the best service and the best front line employees, they understand this. And if you think of companies with poor customer experiences the executive team doesn’t *care* about this.

questions

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:48 am

NYCAAer wrote:
The 787-9 doesn’t even have the business class bar.

Did AA’s original 789 cabin design have the business class bar, i.e., did they take it out before delivery?

Flighty

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:16 am

Austin787 wrote:
global1 wrote:

Parker is just the latest CEO that AA employees love to criticize. I remember hearing complaints about previous AA CEO's - Horton, Arpey, Carty, and Crandall. I'm guessing complaints about Horton were the result of years of employee mistrust in management - regaining trust takes time. I credit Horton for working on improving the customer experience. I wonder if employees would have eventually bought in to Horton's plans, had he remained CEO. But that's water under the bridge now.

Of course and some of us observers don't place too much faith in whether employees like or dislike the CEO. That is not the measurement of a CEO's success. An employee loved CEO can lead the airline straight to liquidation. Shareholders are the ones who are for sustainability. Employees want the most luxurious, highest paid workplace, as we all do. And they have every right to say so on the forum.

IMO the best path forward is a heavy profit sharing method like Delta. Get employees excited about high profit. Excited about sharpening the operation, not just spending and salary level. Otherwise, in most businesses it is more about paying as little as possible. In this case, because of unionization you either pay full union premium or you give them a healthy slice of profits. I believe Parker was wrong to avoid profit sharing.

We haven't seen a clear analysis of why Delta is making more profit (and hence available profit sharing) than AA. Systemwide RASM? Because of product? Something doesn't quite compute, because AA product is not really bad, and its network is good. It should be considered a peer of DL. For my money AAdvantage beats Skymiles cold and dead.

MIflyer12

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:59 am

global1 wrote:

Yes, there was endless complaining about Crandall, too. (AA was, however, pretty successful and innovative is his era.)

Employees will complain about management. It's a thing they've been trained by unions to do.

Do a survey of FAs. Ask if they feel respected and valued by pilots. Do a survey of ticket and gate staff. Ask if they're overworked. It's not just that there's bad news everywhere you look - some of this is human nature to complain about a job. They call it work, not play. Delta may be (relatively) happy today but it hasn't always been so -- not if you look at pre-2010 components.

jfern022

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:33 pm

global1 wrote:
I hear you.

Unfortunately many of those will never be happy, nor provide excellent customer service, no matter what you give them.

We know what those complainers are like over here!

They are called PMNW!

Cointrin330

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:44 pm

I've flown AA extensively this year on both long-haul and short-haul trips and am not entirely sure I see "the great airline in decline" that others seem to find here. My flight segments have been JFK-EZE, JFK-LHR-JFK, JFK-MAD, BCN-JFK, JFK-SFO, JFK-LAX-JFK, LGA-ATL-LGA, LAX-SYD, and LGA-MIA-LGA, not in that order. I've been on the 777-300ER, 787-9, 777-200ER, 767-300ER, A321T, E175, 737-800, and A320. I have found each aircraft to be in very good condition, clean, well maintained on the inside, with no real signs of wear and tear, except for the 767-300ER which is an awful aircraft at AA and needs to be retired. Cabin crews have been generally good, in both Business Class (International), Domestic First, and regular Economy, with a few sour faced staff members thrown in, which you will find on ALL US Airlines. Flights were all on time, with the exception of one JFK-SFO, which was delayed by 30 minutes, with minimal announcements, on a very quiet Saturday morning, and a vague explanation of a maintenance issue resulting from a "baggage bin" that would not close. Cryptic and described as "paperwork" but nothing really bothersome. True, I have not flown in and out of AA's biggest hubs, except for MIA, but I have not experienced the "decline of a once great airline" as others have described here. AA pre-merger languished with a subpar product, old planes, and a tired look and feel, decidedly stuck in the 1990s. The lounges I've been to, refreshed and rebranded and those still sporting the original Admiral's Club look, have been staffed by very pleasant people and enabled me to get work done. What is absolutely bad at American is the on-board food. It is really disgusting, particularly in the premium cabins. It would seem what has been a real blow to American has been the loss of Scott Kirby, who is probably the sole reason UA is experiencing the turnaround it is, but I can tell you having flown EWR-ATH and FCO-EWR this summer, UA's cabin crew are every bit as disinterested, disheveled, and inflexible as they've always been. The only good thing I could say about those UA flights were that they were on time. Food in Polaris (FCO-EWR) was pretty good overall, and better than AA, but EWR-ATH in Economy was absolutely revolting food-wise. AA had no choice but to merge with US, and the combination has made for a much stronger domestic route network with fewer gaps, but AA has always been the more averse to international expansion relative to DL and UA. It would seem American has to execute better and perhaps present the illusion that it is customer focused to mitigate issues like the 737-MAX8 and staff morale problems headlining the narrative.

global1

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:09 pm

To jfern022

Be careful where you tread.

I am PMNW

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos