Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

Changes on AA937/938 MIA-VVI-MIA

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Similar to the changes on MIA-BSB, AA's daily service to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, VVI, Bolivia, changes to the MAX 8 from the 757-200 and will be day time departure on both segments, effective May 3, 2019.

AA937 MIA 17:45 VVI 01:24+1 7M8 D
AA938 VVI 08:45 MIA 15:45 7M8 D
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Cubsrule

Re: Changes on AA937/938 MIA-VVI-MIA

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Product decline aside, that 0125 arrival is rough. That puts bedtime at 0300 even if everything runs relatively smoothly. Northbound times aren’t bad (and also aren’t changing much).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jfk777

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:57 pm

At least the Max 8 used to Latin America are not overnight, so far. AA should learn from the Copa Max 9, lie flat seats.

maps4ltd

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:38 am

dcajet wrote:
Similar to the changes on MIA-BSB, AA's daily service to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, VVI, Bolivia, changes to the MAX 8 from the 757-200 and will be day time departure on both segments, effective May 3, 2019.

I wonder what routes we will see the MAX 8 take over next from MIA. I'm thinking of routes operated by 752s or long A319 routes. Could Manaus cut it? It would be a strong upgauge in seats, but it would also mean 16 F instead of 8 (even though it's basically a PE seat, I'm sure the doubled F cabin would see decent sales simply because of the flight's 5+ hour duration).

I see Guayaquil getting 7M8s also. You currently see 738s and 763s out of there. In fact, I'm taking the morning 738 on GYE-MIA in March.

There are more I could mention, but then this post would ramble.

Does anyone know where the displaced 752s from BSB and VVI are going? They're probably up for retirement soon anyway.
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air

chepos

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:21 am

maps4ltd wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I wonder what routes we will see the MAX 8 take over next from MIA. I'm thinking of routes operated by 752s or long A319 routes. Could Manaus cut it? It would be a strong upgauge in seats, but it would also mean 16 F instead of 8 (even though it's basically a PE seat, I'm sure the doubled F cabin would see decent sales simply because of the flight's 5+ hour duration).

I see Guayaquil getting 7M8s also. You currently see 738s and 763s out of there. In fact, I'm taking the morning 738 on GYE-MIA in March.

Does anyone know where the displaced 752s from BSB and VVI are going? They're probably up for retirement soon anyway.

If AA ever decides to go back to NE Brazil I would imagine the MAX would be the preferred option. MAO started with the 738 and appearently it was too much aircraft so I doubt they will change it to the MAX. I wish they would give Cuzco another try, the MAX would be perfect for those missions.
Fly the Flag!!!!

RyanairGuru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:57 am

7h21m isn't sufficient crew downtime, is it? If so do they intend for the crew to spend 31 hours on the ground? That seems highly inefficient when a slightly earlier arrival/later departure would bring it within minimum rest requirements.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Tikchik

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:59 am

I flew MIA-VVI-MIA this Fall. Outgoing was 16/16. Return flight cancelled before boarding, but they said it was full.

Love the 757. My favorite ride when it doesn't cancel.

Not a fan of how AA configured the Max.

aemoreira1981

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:53 am

American should really consider moving up the MIA departure to 15:15 or so so that the same crew can operate the forward and return flights with 8 hours off duty. As scheduled, that's less than 6 hours of scheduled rest, given that the crew would likely get to the hotel around 2 AM and have to wake up at 6:30 AM to get ready and return to VVI by 8 AM. By moving up the flight 2.5 hours, 7 hours of sleep is realistic. The scheduling here is to avoid using a second plane, but you will have a crew spending a day in Bolivia.

SCQ83

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:58 am

maps4ltd wrote:

I wonder if the Max could open new secondary destinations in Latin America from MIA? I can't think of many cities "worth" of a flight to MIA that currently does not have one on AA, but I am sure there are some "medium" cities out there. For instance, could Cusco cut it? Interestingly I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alejandro ... al_Airport

The airport was served by American Airlines from New York City on a JFK-LIM-CUZ-LIM-JFK routing from 1998–1999 using Boeing 757-200 aircraft. However, these flights were discontinued due to a number of factors, including the airport's limited services and facilities, as well as the Peruvian government's refusal to grant passenger transportation rights between Lima] and Cuzco. American still holds the rights to this route and can resume flights at the company's discretion.

On February 3, 2017, President Kuczynski announced the beginning of the construction of the new Chinchero International Airport,[2] which will be located in the suburb of Chinchero, 30 minutes from Cusco city. It is estimated that the new airport, will be completed by 2021 when Velasco Astete Airport will be closed. It is expected to receive up to 6 million passengers upon its opening.

It seems that MIA-CUZ on AA will be a given, at least when the airport opens. US - Machu Picchu non-stop.

Maybe Bucaramanga or Cúcuta? Those are close to the Venezuelan border, so it might make sense to serve MIA from there. Copa already serves Bucaramanga from Panamá.

N757ST

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
American should really consider moving up the MIA departure to 15:15 or so so that the same crew can operate the forward and return flights with 8 hours off duty. As scheduled, that's less than 6 hours of scheduled rest, given that the crew would likely get to the hotel around 2 AM and have to wake up at 6:30 AM to get ready and return to VVI by 8 AM. By moving up the flight 2.5 hours, 7 hours of sleep is realistic. The scheduling here is to avoid using a second plane, but you will have a crew spending a day in Bolivia.

Far 117 minimum rest is 10 hours, and no one schedules test that tightly. Either way they will be spending a long layover down there.

Cubsrule

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:54 pm

N757ST wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Far 117 minimum rest is 10 hours, and no one schedules test that tightly. Either way they will be spending a long layover down there.

For me the bigger problem with the new schedule is that it no longer gives AA a clear advantage in schedule. MIA local passengers will presumably prefer the nonstop, but the clear majority of passengers connecting over MIA have access to CM and many have other options too.

When CM offers a superior schedule (actually multiple superior schedules) and better product on something like IAD-VVI, what is the incentive to fly AA? So many of us look immediately to AA for our secondary South America needs because traditionally AA has made the most sense unless it is obscenely expensive. Increasingly, that is no longer true.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

aemoreira1981

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
N757ST wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

For me the bigger problem with the new schedule is that it no longer gives AA a clear advantage in schedule. MIA local passengers will presumably prefer the nonstop, but the clear majority of passengers connecting over MIA have access to CM and many have other options too.

When CM offers a superior schedule (actually multiple superior schedules) and better product on something like IAD-VVI, what is the incentive to fly AA? So many of us look immediately to AA for our secondary South America needs because traditionally AA has made the most sense unless it is obscenely expensive. Increasingly, that is no longer true.

I didn't think about that. Over time, the MAX 9, with lie flat, will be used on the premium routes, while the older NGs go back to lessors (Copa financed many of its B738 acquisitions with sale-leasebacks). Copa could open up a lot of secondary destinations in South America with the excess B738s that are owned or newer-leased. I could see CM getting as big as 150 planes.

MIflyer12

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:10 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I wonder if the Max could open new secondary destinations in Latin America from MIA?

One can hope for that - rather than just 757 downgauging.

HeeseokKoo

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:32 pm

I'd take 30" non-redeye over 31" redeye any day. 1:25am arrival is still better than a redeye for some (or many) Y passengers. Losing PTV is bad though.

jfk777 wrote:
At least the Max 8 used to Latin America are not overnight, so far.

UIO-MIA overnight flight has been 7M8 for several months. To be fair, it was 738 before.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos