caliboy93
Topic Author

LAX New Satellite Concourse

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:03 am

How will the new LAX midfield concourse for the international terminal benefit the airport?

LAX772LR

Re: LAX New Satellite Concourse

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:26 am

Not really sure I understand what you're asking...

At the risk of being blunt... um, how the heck do you THINK new international-capable gates in a new concourse will help the nation's 2nd busiest international gateway airport?

If we're missing something, that you're trying to get at, perhaps clarify?
Last edited by LAX772LR on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

9w748capt

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:28 am

LAX772LR wrote:
At the risk of being blunt... um, how the heck do you THINK new international-capable gates in a new concourse will help the nation's 2nd busiest international gateway airport?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AA737-823

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:57 am

This has got to be another click-bait thread, to increase web traffic and page hits.
Removing tin foil hat now...

sonicruiser

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:43 am

I flew through LAX about 2 weeks ago and they have rapidly progressed on the construction of the satellite since the last time I visited LAX 2 years ago. Structurally the work is almost complete and the only thing that really remains is the connection/escalator down to the tunnel from the main concourse which they are working on now.

Hopefully this will eliminate the need for some of the remote gates because TBIT is PACKED during the rush hour which is basically the entire day at LAX.

LAX772LR

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:01 am

sonicruiser wrote:
the rush hour which is basically the entire day at LAX.

Not really.

You have the dawn rush, which sees arrivals from Oceania. Then there's a few morning frequencies for Japan, Korea, and some China.

But from then until mid-afternoon, you could basically go bowling in TBIT, because there isn't much activity other than narrowbody overflow.

It doesn't get crazy until the MidEast and first Euro bank at around 3-4pm, and continues until the second Euro bank, Oceanian departures, and late night Asian rush.

aklrno

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:00 am

Don't forget that some TBIT gates may be used for domestic flights while other terminals are being rebuilt. I believe T3 will be totally demolished. Will Delta use some TBIT gates during that construction? That will keep it busy mid day for some time.

With the TBIT-T4 connector in service for some time AA is using TBIT gates. The T3-TBIT connector is planned, but I don't know the time frame and that will let Delta overflow into TBIT far into the future. Can anyone tell me the schedule for the T3-TBIT connector?

LAX772LR

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:15 am

aklrno wrote:
I believe T3 will be totally demolished.

:shakehead: DL plans to build over the existing structure in three different phases, but it will remain open and in active service throughout.

32andBelow

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:14 am

With the new gates will they be able to keep the australia planes on the gates instead of towing them away all day?

Gemuser

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:22 am

32andBelow wrote:
With the new gates will they be able to keep the australia planes on the gates instead of towing them away all day?

Why would the airport or airline want that? QF have a maintenance hanger at LAX they need the planes over there rather then sitting at the gate. With the aircraft on the ground over 12 hours I don't think the airport operator would be keen on them blocking the gate for that long, regardless of the number the number of gates they have.

Gemuser

Cunard

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:42 am

32andBelow wrote:

The reason why the Qantas and Virgin Australia flights are currently towed to remote gates is because of the long layovers between flights and I should imagine that will remain the case rather than unnecessarily hogging gates.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Devilfish

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Is there any chance at all that the north end of the new TBIT would be extended (same design, albeit east side contact gates only) and the existing bus gates demolished? Is that structure built adjacent to it its replacement?

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

tcaeyx

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Devilfish wrote:
Is there any chance at all that the north end of the new TBIT would be extended (same design, albeit east side contact gates only) and the existing bus gates demolished? Is that structure built adjacent to it its replacement?

Nope, that eyesore is here to stay. The new structure will house the baggage handling facility.

iadadd

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:28 pm

How does LAX plan on expanding check-in counter space in TBIT?

LAX772LR

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 pm

iadadd wrote:

Currently, that's being done by housing some TBIT checkins in DL's new terminals.

The likes of Avianca, Copa, Virgin Australia, Interjet, and other TBIT carriers all have their checkin at T3.

stlgph

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Any talk of an airline opening a lounge in the new section yet having "preferred dedicated use" of those gates, or are we still too early on that?

And even more important, will there be a Cinnabon?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

MrPeanut

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm

iadadd wrote:

The plan at one point was to expand into the adjacent parking structure.

tcaeyx

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 pm

iadadd wrote:

I believe the two off-site Intermodal Transportation Facilities being built with the peoplemover will have ticketing kiosks and/or counters.

MrPeanut

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:45 pm

tcaeyx wrote:
iadadd wrote:

I believe the two off-site Intermodal Transportation Facilities being built with the peoplemover will have ticketing kiosks and/or counters.

How would the bags get over to TBIT?

tcaeyx

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:54 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
tcaeyx wrote:
iadadd wrote:

How would the bags get over to TBIT?

I'd imagine passengers would get their luggage tags at the ITF and drop them off at a designated location in TBIT, but that's just a guess.

asuflyer05

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:30 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
This has got to be another click-bait thread, to increase web traffic and page hits.
Removing tin foil hat now...

The author is the same as 'Thanksgiving, Turkeys, and Turkish Airlines.'

caliboy93 wrote:
So does Turkey's flag carrier do something special on Thanksgiving for its US routes, given that the holiday centers around the turkey bird?

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1409013

jsnww81

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:33 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
iadadd wrote:

Yup, the original plans for the "new" TBIT, when they were announced in 2009-10, showed a huge new landside building occupying the site of the parking structures across the street from the current building. There was going to be an elevated bridge connecting it to the existing TBIT and to the new midfield concourse. I believe the bridge has been dropped but there are long-term plans (no date) for the expanded landside.

As an LA resident I have to say that the rebuilt TBIT functions really well given the volume of traffic it handles at peak times. The check-in areas are a bit narrow and chaotic, but the concourse is world-class and the arrivals area works pretty well, too. It was hard to get any *worse* than the old building, though.

As a few others have said, the midfield concourse will supposedly handle some domestic flights - I've heard talk of Spirit, JetBlue and Frontier moving there, which would enable American Eagle to relocate to T5 from the Eagle's Nest, which would allow the Nest to be demolished and construction of Terminal 9 to get started. The midfield gates are the first domino in a very long sequence...

B752OS

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Are they also building an underground connector between Delta's terminal and TBIT? In the picture a few posts above they have the ground torn open between the two.

carljanderson

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:15 pm

B752OS wrote:
Are they also building an underground connector between Delta's terminal and TBIT? In the picture a few posts above they have the ground torn open between the two.

That area between T3 and Gate 133 or so is for the Baggage Optimization Project.

I haven't seen a public DTIP request from Delta for the T3-TBIT connector yet. There were 2 options under consideration back in April.

http://lawa.granicus.com/GeneratedAgend ... lip_id=484 (Item #9 from the April 5th Meeting)

B752OS

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:44 pm

So TBIT has 14 wide-body gates? 6 with 3 jet-bridges to handle A380s, 7 with dual jet-bridges and 1 with a single jet-bridge?

How many wide-body gates will the midfield concourse be adding?

jfklganyc

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Im sure B6 would love to move there for access to 5-6 gates.

Time will tell

stlgph

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:11 pm

https://airwaysmag.com/airports/one-yea ... -terminal/

12 gates, 2 for 747/380, remaining for widebody services.

jfklganyc wrote:

Time will tell

I'm sure they would *LOVE* to but would LAX airport would move them, or anybody else over to hog widebody gates in a beautiful new terminal designed for international services. I would think not.

rbavfan

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
How will the new LAX midfield concourse for the international terminal benefit the airport?

For one it will allow some carriers using Deltas terminal to move to free up space for them. 2nd it will allow carriers using pads and busses on the west side to have real gates. It can also be extended south for future expansion. All in all very good for LAX.

aerohottie

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:48 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

I thought LAX was #1?
What?

tcaeyx

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:22 pm

aerohottie wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I thought LAX was #1?

By airport: JFK > LAX > MIA.

By metro: New York City (JFK/EWR) >> Miami (MIA/FLL) > Los Angeles (LAX).

Bradin

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:56 pm

I found this on Google regarding LAX's current TBIT gate assignment protocol. It includes who gets priorities, penalties for delayed flights, and how long an aircraft can sit at a gate.

https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/l ... 3BACAFC92C

SurfandSnow

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:26 am

Where else is LAX supposed to accommodate expansion? Terminal 1 is now the exclusive fiefdom of WN (even so, WN's international arrivals have to be accommodated elsewhere due to a lack of FIS). Terminals 2 and 3 are now home to DL and a few of that carrier's closest partners. Terminal 4 is exclusively AA, while Terminals 7 and 8 are fully utilized by UA. AA also uses some of Terminal 5, whilst AS controls much of Terminal 6. LAX has squeezed some rather sizable operations like AC, B6, G4, HA and NK into whats left of Terminal 5 and Terminal 6 but ultimately I expect to see an AA, AS and partner operation and/or UA/Star Alliance operation consolidate into these spaces while the likes of B6 and HA gladly move in to shiny new digs at TBIT...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

stlgph

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:07 am

Bradin wrote:
I found this on Google regarding LAX's current TBIT gate assignment protocol. It includes who gets priorities, penalties for delayed flights, and how long an aircraft can sit at a gate.

https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/l ... 3BACAFC92C

Great find, thank you!

Sounds like if there is one U.S. carrier which could have a chance of moving over, it would be Hawaiian.

LAX772LR

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:36 am

aerohottie wrote:
I thought LAX was #1?

Not even close:
JFK has a significant lead on LAX, by about 6million-ish pax.

Miami follows, then there's a sizable gap until you get to others.

tcaeyx wrote:
By metro: New York City (JFK/EWR) >> Miami (MIA/FLL) > Los Angeles (LAX).

Should be noted that SWF/LGA, PBI, and ONT/SNA all have international nonstop traffic as well.... though their limited contributions do not change the metro ranking.

winginit

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:56 am

One question I haven't seen answered is how the TBIT security checkpoint facilities and staff will be improved to handle the increased volume. It's already strained during peak times, and even more so when the drug dogs are brought out that close PreCheck.

Goodbye

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 am

AA737-823 wrote:

That really only works if the OP has included a link to a page in which to click-bait us with, instead of what appears to simply be a poorly thought-out and worded question.
✈︎

stlgph

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:09 am

Isn't the main idea of the satellite concourse to reduce need/use for the remote gates?

ldvaviation

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:12 am

tcaeyx wrote:

Nope, that eyesore is here to stay. The new structure will house the baggage handling facility.

The priorities and preferences of the Board change with almost every new Board member and Director, most of the time without any explanation or reason.

*The Fentress design for the MSC was abandoned before the architect was given a chance to value engineer it. Instead, Gensler was paid for a brand new and inferior design. (It is sad how banal the new design is, but the Board was wowed by the wavy roof.)

*The northern extension of TBIT West was a casualty of the legal settlement that shelved the northside taxiway project. The taxiways are still dangerously close, but safety and the temporary nature of the bus terminal no longer seem to be much of a concern.

*While the Board rationale had been that the bus terminal would be replaced by the northern extension once it was clear what would happen to the taxiways, when it did become clear the Board put a new baggage handling facility there.

*The Board took down the screens that used to adorn each floor of the old control tower as they contemplated whether to tear down the tower. In the EIR for the APM, however, it was determined that the old tower was an architecturally-significant building. Now, the Board is going to restore the building.

*The Board installed new canopies in front of T1, T4 (partial), and TBIT. Based on the conceptual design for the new T4.5 ticketing building and the new TBIT APM Core, it looks like the new canopies will have to be torn down to build the new structures.

afcjets

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
Where else is LAX supposed to accommodate expansion? Terminal 1 is now the exclusive fiefdom of WN (even so, WN's international arrivals have to be accommodated elsewhere due to a lack of FIS). Terminals 2 and 3 are now home to DL and a few of that carrier's closest partners. Terminal 4 is exclusively AA, while Terminals 7 and 8 are fully utilized by UA. AA also uses some of Terminal 5, whilst AS controls much of Terminal 6. LAX has squeezed some rather sizable operations like AC, B6, G4, HA and NK into whats left of Terminal 5 and Terminal 6 but ultimately I expect to see an AA, AS and partner operation and/or UA/Star Alliance operation consolidate into these spaces while the likes of B6 and HA gladly move in to shiny new digs at TBIT...

Terminal 0 was in the plans a few years ago and would be built east of Sepulveda Blvd.

LupineChemist

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 am

jsnww81 wrote:
MrPeanut wrote:
iadadd wrote:

Yup, the original plans for the "new" TBIT, when they were announced in 2009-10, showed a huge new landside building occupying the site of the parking structures across the street from the current building. There was going to be an elevated bridge connecting it to the existing TBIT and to the new midfield concourse. I believe the bridge has been dropped but there are long-term plans (no date) for the expanded landside.

As an LA resident I have to say that the rebuilt TBIT functions really well given the volume of traffic it handles at peak times. The check-in areas are a bit narrow and chaotic, but the concourse is world-class and the arrivals area works pretty well, too. It was hard to get any *worse* than the old building, though.

As a few others have said, the midfield concourse will supposedly handle some domestic flights - I've heard talk of Spirit, JetBlue and Frontier moving there, which would enable American Eagle to relocate to T5 from the Eagle's Nest, which would allow the Nest to be demolished and construction of Terminal 9 to get started. The midfield gates are the first domino in a very long sequence...

Man, the one upgrade I wished would have happened was a dedicated ground access to the Eagle's Nest. It could have been the convenience of a regional airport within LAX. I understand why it has to go, but I actually kind of like it. I actually rather like the Admirals Club in there, too.

jfklganyc

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:14 am

jfklganyc wrote:

Time will tell

As bizarre as it sounds...that is supposed to happen.

LA is out of room. The B6 gates now are a stop gap until new gates open

LupineChemist

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:20 am

winginit wrote:
One question I haven't seen answered is how the TBIT security checkpoint facilities and staff will be improved to handle the increased volume. It's already strained during peak times, and even more so when the drug dogs are brought out that close PreCheck.

Getting more airlines participating in precheck and more precheck lines would do a fair amount I suppose.

DL747400

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
aklrno wrote:

:shakehead: DL plans to build over the existing structure in three different phases, but it will remain open and in active service throughout.

AKLRNO is correct. From page 3 of this document:

http://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php ... a_id=33359

Reconstruction of Terminal 3 Delta will completely demolish and replace Terminal 3 with a new facility that has 14 gates, modern hold rooms that meet IATA level of service goals, modern restrooms, and new higher-value, balanced, modern concessions spaces for improved guest experience. The new terminal also will include appropriate passenger and baggage processing capacity, operations space, and common use equipment to provide flexibility and support multiple carrier operations. Construction will be phased to allow for appropriate temporary swing space for occupants displaced by the construction.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

stlgph

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:43 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Time will tell

As bizarre as it sounds...that is supposed to happen.

LA is out of room. The B6 gates now are a stop gap until new gates open

If/when the second part of the Midfield Concourse expansion is ever built or opens, say the late 2020s, then sure.

dbo861

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:09 pm

afcjets wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

Terminal 0 was in the plans a few years ago and would be built east of Sepulveda Blvd.

What's the story on Terminal 0? Is it no longer happening?

winginit

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:11 pm

DL747400 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
aklrno wrote:

Reconstruction of Terminal 3 Delta will completely demolish and replace Terminal 3 with a new facility that has 14 gates, modern hold rooms that meet IATA level of service goals, modern restrooms, and new higher-value, balanced, modern concessions spaces for improved guest experience. The new terminal also will include appropriate passenger and baggage processing capacity, operations space, and common use equipment to provide flexibility and support multiple carrier operations. Construction will be phased to allow for appropriate temporary swing space for occupants displaced by the construction.

Yes, but as was the case with Southwest's renovation of T1, LAX772LR is also correct in saying that the facility will be demolished and rebuilt in phases - remaining open and operational throughout the process.

afcjets

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:50 pm

dbo861 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

What's the story on Terminal 0? Is it no longer happening?

I have no idea. I just heard about it a few years ago, but I also saw a plan where all of the terminals on the north side were replaced with a single terminal with one long linear east/west concourse around the same time.

carljanderson

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:55 pm

afcjets wrote:

I have no idea. I just heard about it a few years ago, but I also saw a plan where all of the terminals on the north side were replaced with a single terminal with one long linear east/west concourse around the same time.

That one long East West Concourse on the North Side is dead.

T0 is, right now, just a concept maybe in talk only. There has not been anything formal approved by LAWA yet for a T0. In fact Cranky brings up T0 today. Just a dream right now. https://crankyflier.com/2018/11/26/prev ... n-to-come/

jsnww81

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:15 pm

LupineChemist wrote:

Man, the one upgrade I wished would have happened was a dedicated ground access to the Eagle's Nest. It could have been the convenience of a regional airport within LAX. I understand why it has to go, but I actually kind of like it. I actually rather like the Admirals Club in there, too.

I also appreciate that AA added an Admirals Club at the Nest - it's small but it does the job - and agree on ground access. As someone who commutes almost weekly to SFO/SJC for work, the bus rides have gotten very, very old. When I first moved here it was fun to be out on the apron up close and personal with the aircraft, but the novelty has definitely worn off. Doesn't help that the "wranglers" AA has hired to manage bus boarding at the Nest are often deeply unfriendly, shouting at passengers and generally doing a poor job managing the crowds.

I'll be thrilled to see the day when Eagle moves into T5 and the bus trips end forever.

stlgph

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:36 pm

winginit wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Yes, but as was the case with Southwest's renovation of T1, LAX772LR is also correct in saying that the facility will be demolished and rebuilt in phases - remaining open and operational throughout the process.

As I understand it, the new Midfield Concourse's opening will allow TBIT main to provide some alternate use for T3 flights here and there during the reconstruction process, as needed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos