winginit

Re: LAX New Satellite Concourse

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:40 pm

stlgph wrote:
winginit wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

AKLRNO is correct. From page 3 of this document:

http://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php ... a_id=33359

Reconstruction of Terminal 3 Delta will completely demolish and replace Terminal 3 with a new facility that has 14 gates, modern hold rooms that meet IATA level of service goals, modern restrooms, and new higher-value, balanced, modern concessions spaces for improved guest experience. The new terminal also will include appropriate passenger and baggage processing capacity, operations space, and common use equipment to provide flexibility and support multiple carrier operations. Construction will be phased to allow for appropriate temporary swing space for occupants displaced by the construction.

Yes, but as was the case with Southwest's renovation of T1, LAX772LR is also correct in saying that the facility will be demolished and rebuilt in phases - remaining open and operational throughout the process.

As I understand it, the new Midfield Concourse's opening will allow TBIT main to provide some alternate use for T3 flights here and there during the reconstruction process, as needed.

Indeed, and this is already taking place today. DL has preferential use of I believe Gate 133, and in addition to select international departures and arrivals they've started gating domestic flights on the gate as well. I don't think there's a rhyme or reason to which flights are chosen but I've seen many an ATL and MCO as of late.

rbavfan

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:49 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Im sure B6 would love to move there for access to 5-6 gates.

Time will tell

? To which comment are you responding?

stlgph

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:04 pm

winginit wrote:
stlgph wrote:
winginit wrote:

Yes, but as was the case with Southwest's renovation of T1, LAX772LR is also correct in saying that the facility will be demolished and rebuilt in phases - remaining open and operational throughout the process.

As I understand it, the new Midfield Concourse's opening will allow TBIT main to provide some alternate use for T3 flights here and there during the reconstruction process, as needed.

Indeed, and this is already taking place today. DL has preferential use of I believe Gate 133, and in addition to select international departures and arrivals they've started gating domestic flights on the gate as well. I don't think there's a rhyme or reason to which flights are chosen but I've seen many an ATL and MCO as of late.

I would imagine that Aer Lingus and Virgin Australia would move over 100%, but I could be wrong.

This was brought up earlier in the thread - it's an interesting read.

https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/l ... 3BACAFC92C
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

winginit

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm

stlgph wrote:
winginit wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I would imagine that Aer Lingus and Virgin Australia would move over 100%, but I could be wrong.

This was brought up earlier in the thread - it's an interesting read.

While VA check in is co-located with Delta, I'm fairly certain they already gate 100% of departures and arrivals at TBIT. Seems only a matter of time (when they join oneworld's JV maybe?) that Aer Lingus will soon move to TBIT - they surely can't be in DL's end-state plans for the new facility. Same with Volaris but no idea where they'd end up - maybe Midfield.

FSDan

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Bradin wrote:
I found this on Google regarding LAX's current TBIT gate assignment protocol. It includes who gets priorities, penalties for delayed flights, and how long an aircraft can sit at a gate.

Super interesting read! I've always wondered how this stuff works...

I wonder if, when the MSC comes online, that concourse will just get inserted as a middle layer between the main concourse and the remote gates, with some carved out space for airlines that are currently at T5? I.e. have some guarantees built in for flights operated by HA, B6, etc. to be operated from the MSC, and for all other flights follow the same pecking order as currently exists, but if there's space to accommodate a flight at the MSC before relegating it to the remote gates, do that.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Bradin

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:34 pm

FSDan wrote:
Bradin wrote:
I found this on Google regarding LAX's current TBIT gate assignment protocol. It includes who gets priorities, penalties for delayed flights, and how long an aircraft can sit at a gate.

I wonder if, when the MSC comes online, that concourse will just get inserted as a middle layer between the main concourse and the remote gates, with some carved out space for airlines that are currently at T5? I.e. have some guarantees built in for flights operated by HA, B6, etc. to be operated from the MSC, and for all other flights follow the same pecking order as currently exists, but if there's space to accommodate a flight at the MSC before relegating it to the remote gates, do that.

I am thinking the operational rules will change based on when the new MSC North Opens. Based on this press release (https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/l ... D7FC6CD59D), the MSC North will have 2 Group VI Gates (A380 capable) and the remaining 10 gates are Group V.

Operationally, it would make sense that all 777/787/A350/A330s get sent to Group V gates first before they get occupy a Group VI gate.

FSDan

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Bradin wrote:

I am thinking the operational rules will change based on when the new MSC North Opens. Based on this press release (https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/l ... D7FC6CD59D), the MSC North will have 2 Group VI Gates (A380 capable) and the remaining 10 gates are Group V.

Operationally, it would make sense that all 777/787/A350/A330s get sent to Group V gates first before they get occupy a Group VI gate.

The way I read the document, that's essentially the way things work now with the exception of gates 130 and 134. The only reason Group V aircraft have precedence over Group VI aircraft for those gates is that having a Group VI aircraft at either 130 or 134 prevents 132 from being used for a widebody, when otherwise those three gates can be used for three Group V aircarft. However, throughout the rest of the terminal it sounds to me like the current priority for Group VI capable gates is Group VI aircraft before Group V aircraft.

Bradin

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:03 pm

FSDan wrote:
Bradin wrote:

The way I read the document, that's essentially the way things work now with the exception of gates 130 and 134. The only reason Group V aircraft have precedence over Group VI aircraft for those gates is that having a Group VI aircraft at either 130 or 134 prevents 132 from being used for a widebody, when otherwise those three gates can be used for three Group V aircarft. However, throughout the rest of the terminal it sounds to me like the current priority for Group VI capable gates is Group VI aircraft before Group V aircraft.

Don't forget about priorities too under Section 2.0.

stlgph

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:07 pm

FSDan wrote:
Bradin wrote:

It makes zero sense to build a $1.6 billion concourse of *wide body gates* for the purpose to cut down on use of remote gates and taxi way congestion only to sit around and pull a "just kidding, 6 of the gates are going to JetBlue" b.s. And it would make zero sense to move a couple of flights here and there for JetBlue between Terminal 5 and the new MSC, or any other carrier for that matter, just for the sake of doing so. What a nightmare. Then again, there are plenty of idiots in the world, so...it could happen.

"flight 2-zero-niner is now arriving at gate 1...gate 2....gate 3....gate 14....gate 17.....gate 19.....gate 21.....gate 23.....gate 24....."
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

aaway

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:11 pm

FSDan wrote:

A couple of responses:
(1) The MSC gates are specifically designated to replace remote gates. Some portion of the remote gate structures will remain, but the heavy daily use for scheduled airline operations will wind down. To ensure this outcome, the community agreement that addressed the North Runway includes provisos that not only sunset scheduled airline ops at the remotes, but also limit future redevelopment and aviation uses of the site.

(2) Just prior to groundbreaking, LAWA and planners acknowledged that the MSC would be underutlized upon opening. Further, LAWA (at that time) contemplated engaging unidentified domestic carriers for possible MSC operations. I think the notion of future domestic use of MSC gates was solidified by a recent construction change order to modify four MSC gates to Group III standards. To be clear here, those four gates will receive jetbridge adjustments, envelope modifications, etc. Therefore, when not occupied by a Group V operation, the gate(s) can be adjusted accordingly.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

aaway

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:15 pm

FSDan wrote:

This is correct.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

Bradin

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:19 pm

aaway wrote:
FSDan wrote:

A couple of responses:
(1) The MSC gates are specifically designated to replace remote gates. Some portion of the remote gate structures will remain, but the heavy daily use for scheduled airline operations will wind down. To ensure this outcome, the community agreement that addressed the North Runway includes provisos that not only sunset scheduled airline ops at the remotes, but also limit future redevelopment and aviation uses of the site.

(2) Just prior to groundbreaking, LAWA and planners acknowledged that the MSC would be underutlized upon opening. Further, LAWA (at that time) contemplated engaging unidentified domestic carriers for possible MSC operations. I think the notion of future domestic use of MSC gates was solidified by a recent construction change order to modify four MSC gates to Group III standards. To be clear here, those four gates will receive jetbridge adjustments, envelope modifications, etc. Therefore, when not occupied by a Group V operation, the gate(s) can be adjusted accordingly.

Not sure how true this holds true (or still holds true): https://www.lawa.org/en/lawa-msc-north/theproject

Per LAWA's website:

The MSC Program includes a new passenger concourse facility approved as part of the LAX Master Plan in 2004. The MSC facility will be located in the central area of the airfield, west of Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). The MSC Program will permit greater flexibility in scheduling improvements at other facilities without disrupting day-to-day airline operations, reduce reliance on remote gates, and ensure a high level of service for LAX passengers during modernization upgrades, which may at times require the closure of existing gates. The MSC gates will not increase the total number of passengers or aircraft at LAX, but they will ensure that uninterrupted operations and schedules can be maintained during construction at other terminals.

Due to the size and scale of the MSC Program, LAWA proposes to develop the MSC Program in independent phases. Phase 1 ("MSC North Project") of the MSC Program is the construction of the northern portion of the multi-story MSC facility and associated improvements. The MSC North Project will improve the terminal operations, concessions facilities, and overall passenger experience at LAX. The facility is designed to serve both domestic and international traffic. The MSC North Project will provide LAWA with the flexibility to accommodate demand for aircraft gates while modernizing other terminals at LAX and reduce reliance on the West Remote gates.

aklrno

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:33 pm

dbo861 wrote:

Terminal 0 was in the plans a few years ago and would be built east of Sepulveda Blvd.

I thought T0 was to be west of Sepulveda, more or less where the big parking lot is now. The 96th street entrance was to be moved a bit east to accommodate it. East of Sepulveda is the newly remodeled Hyatt Hotel (very nice, in my opinion) and it would cost a fortune to acquire the land. The parking lot is cheap, and probably already owned by the airport. Also a terminal east of Sepulveda would not connect well with T1 and the about to be built APM. The whole point is that it be an extension of T1.

T9 has similar problems connecting to T8, but because T8 is right next to Sepulveda it would be easy to build a bridge with moving sidewalks to connect them. The street is already below grade as it enters the tunnel. The bridge could be level with the concourses in T8 and T9 if it is far enough south.

FSDan

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Bradin wrote:
aaway wrote:
FSDan wrote:

A couple of responses:

Not sure how true this holds true (or still holds true): https://www.lawa.org/en/lawa-msc-north/theproject

Per LAWA's website:

The MSC Program includes a new passenger concourse facility approved as part of the LAX Master Plan in 2004. The MSC facility will be located in the central area of the airfield, west of Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). The MSC Program will permit greater flexibility in scheduling improvements at other facilities without disrupting day-to-day airline operations, reduce reliance on remote gates, and ensure a high level of service for LAX passengers during modernization upgrades, which may at times require the closure of existing gates. The MSC gates will not increase the total number of passengers or aircraft at LAX, but they will ensure that uninterrupted operations and schedules can be maintained during construction at other terminals.

Due to the size and scale of the MSC Program, LAWA proposes to develop the MSC Program in independent phases. Phase 1 ("MSC North Project") of the MSC Program is the construction of the northern portion of the multi-story MSC facility and associated improvements. The MSC North Project will improve the terminal operations, concessions facilities, and overall passenger experience at LAX. The facility is designed to serve both domestic and international traffic. The MSC North Project will provide LAWA with the flexibility to accommodate demand for aircraft gates while modernizing other terminals at LAX and reduce reliance on the West Remote gates.

It'll be interesting to see how everything shakes out. I hope the priority is to end (or at least significantly reduce) remote gate usage, but I know that AA is also trying to take over all of T5, and the current occupants really don't have anywhere to go. Have any timelines been promised for either 1) winding down remote gate usage, or 2) handing over T5 control completely to AA?

Bradin

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:07 pm

FSDan wrote:
Bradin wrote:
aaway wrote:

A couple of responses:

Per LAWA's website:

It'll be interesting to see how everything shakes out. I hope the priority is to end (or at least significantly reduce) remote gate usage, but I know that AA is also trying to take over all of T5, and the current occupants really don't have anywhere to go. Have any timelines been promised for either 1) winding down remote gate usage, or 2) handing over T5 control completely to AA?

I am very curious as to what the future holds. I felt like there were a lot of naysayers when the TBIT modernization project began wondering if TBIT gates would ever be fully utilized, and yet here we are today with some really high TBIT gate usage except for the Early/Mid Morning times.

aaway

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Bradin wrote:
....reduce reliance on remote gates

Matter of semantics. Certainly some operations will continue from whatever remains of the remotes. VIP movements, flights on lengthy delays, RONs/RADs. But the days of 15-20 (sometimes more, depending on day/season/circumstances) will end once the new contact gates are phased into operation.

Bradin wrote:
I felt like there were a lot of naysayers when the TBIT modernization project began wondering if TBIT gates would ever be fully utilized, and yet here we are today with some really high TBIT gate usage except for the Early/Mid Morning times.

The costs (in term of dollars) associated with the upgrade/and expansion of TBIT prompted LAWA to ramp up TBIT activity to the levels seen today. The fees derived and collected from the activity retires the debt assumed by LAWA.

FSDan wrote:
Have any timelines been promised for either 1) winding down remote gate usage, or 2) handing over T5 control completely to AA?

Haha, promised is a strong word. Assuming the current plan remains, (1) remote gates should wind down as new contact (MSC) gates are phased in and operational for a period. (2) Nothing pending currently for AA to take all of T-5. The new AA-LAWA lease envisions AA ultimately acquiring 10 of the T-5 gates.

tphuang

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:53 pm

10 additional terminal 5 gates or 10 over all? I thought they will get all remaining t5 gates (which are 9 present + one additional one under configuration)

aaway

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:09 am

tphuang wrote:
10 additional terminal 5 gates or 10 over all? I thought they will get all remaining t5 gates (which are 9 present + one additional one under configuration)

Total of 10 - The current four, one of two gates derived from the gate reconfiguration, and date TBD, an additional five upon the opening of eight widebody gates elsewhere. I will note that the new lease accounts and stipulates additional gates predicated on T-5/TBIT/MSC activities. It would not surprise me to see AA possibly acquire all of T-5 should another facility (T-0 or T-9) be opened.

iadadd

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:23 am

Does TBIT have a sizable Domestic baggage claim system if MSC were to host Domestic carriers ?

Bradin

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:36 am

I saw this fly across one of my colleagues' desk today at work. LAWA issued a Request for Qualifications for an operator to run a new Common Use Lounge at the LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse. Also interesting was the tentative launch date of when the MSC will come online too.

EK413

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am

1. American Airlines announces major upgrades to Terminals 4 and 5

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2018/American-Airlines-Los-Angeles-World-Airports-Break-Ground-on-16-Billion-Reimagining-of-Terminal-4-and-5/default.aspx

2. Updated renderings and fly-through of the new Airport Metro station/transit hub have been released, station and people mover expected to open in 2023

[vimeo]296081143[/vimeo]

3. Terminal 1.5 connector between Terminals 1 and 2 expected to open in 2020

https://www.lawa.org/en/lawa-our-lax/environmental-documents/documents-certified/lax-terminal-15

4. Delta's major overhaul of Terminals 2 and 3 is expected to be complete by 2023

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-travel-briefcase-delta-lax-20180601-story.html

5. The new 12-gate Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) is on track to open in late 2019/early 2020

https://www.corgan.com/projects/lax-midfield-satellite-concourse/

https://twitter.com/flyLAXairport/status/968975935092400128

And renderings of the completed project (phase 1 at least):

[YOUTUBE]L-YenoF-RD8[/YOUTUBE]

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Bradin

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:40 am

EK413 wrote:
5. The new 12-gate Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) is on track to open in late 2019/early 2020

I don't believe it will open Late 2019/Early 2020. The RFQ states the opening is slated for July 2020.

EK413

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 am

Bradin wrote:
EK413 wrote:

I don't believe it will open Late 2019/Early 2020. The RFQ states the opening is slated for July 2020.

Mid 2020 certainly sounds more promising.

EK413

EK413

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:45 am

https://urbanize.la/post/renderings-galore-lax-automated-people-mover

Renderings Galore for the LAX Automated People Mover

The 2.25-mile people mover is expected to open in 2023.

EK413

laca773

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:54 pm

Currently, does AA ever have to bus passengers for mainline departures/arrivals to/from the remote/hard stand gates as well as the other occupants of T5?

It will be very interesting to see how the total re-build of the T3 concourse goes since it will be done in stages & if their will be adequate gate availability @ TBIT .

By chance does anyone know if the new MSC as well as T3 will have glass jetways installed or will they continue to use the standard type for uniformity?

tcaeyx

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:10 am

laca773 wrote:
Currently, does AA ever have to bus passengers for mainline departures/arrivals to/from the remote/hard stand gates as well as the other occupants of T5?

It will be very interesting to see how the total re-build of the T3 concourse goes since it will be done in stages & if their will be adequate gate availability @ TBIT .

By chance does anyone know if the new MSC as well as T3 will have glass jetways installed or will they continue to use the standard type for uniformity?

Given how value-engineered the entire concourse turned out, I doubt they'll go for glass jetways.

jsnww81

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:38 am

We've been seeing renderings of the damn Automated People Mover for more than three years. Cannot believe they haven't started construction yet. The only thing they've done is demolish the Burger King across the street from the Four Points on Airport Boulevard. Meanwhile traffic on World Way is near-gridlock 6-8 hours a day.

atcanobbio

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Are there any progress pics/vids of the MSC? I remember the new TBIT used to have a site which tons of progress pics. I was able to find them easily through the old LAX site. I have no idea how to find them through the new site :(

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos