Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mrkerr7474
Topic Author

SQ / CX & EDI

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:12 am

Hi all, apologies in advanced if the topic has been raised recently, however I couldn't find anything, but if someone knows of somewhere for me to see, please do point me in the right direction.

I had always wondered regarding SQ & CX flying direct to EDI. Not specifically needing to be a daily route, even 4x weekly to the airlines respected hubs but something to avoid transfers in the UK or Europe & potentially take customers away from the likes of VS / BA / QR & even now EK.

Does anyone know why they haven't picked up on routes like this?

I understand SQ routes you through the likes of FRA to EDI for example on LH & likewise with CX using BE in LON / MAN to get you to EDI & vice versa

Sorry for specifically sticking with EDI, I know more about the operations there than GLA but do feel free to through ideas out there.

Hainan Airlines has recently launched a 4x weekly service to EDI / DUB (i'm unsure how this is going for them so far), however I would have assumed (personal opinion here) that SQ or CX could have picked up a decent route flying directly & bringing passengers on their own metal with consistency to the likes of Asia / Australia / New Zealand.

I've always been a QF flyer but don't specifically want to fly EK to EDI or QR even & a nice change to avoid LHR would be nice (although I don't have anything against LHR).

Any insights or personal thoughts would be interesting to hear.

Thanks again!

LAX772LR

Re: SQ / CX & EDI

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:42 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:

The answer is frustratingly simple:
They don't see the combination of traffic+yield to be sufficient to overcome the opportunity cost of using an appropriate aircraft elsewhere, while continuing to connect pax to EDI.

......yet.

That can always change. Things like subsidies, corporate ties, tourism explosions, etc can all usher that along.

But for now, if their calculations show that flying to EDI would gain them $X, but flying somewhere else with that same aircraft gains them $X+N, and "N" is greater than the cost delta, then they fly that aircraft somewhere else.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

mrkerr7474
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:49 am

LAX772LR wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:

The answer is frustratingly simple:
They don't see the combination of traffic+yield to be sufficient to overcome the opportunity cost of using an appropriate aircraft elsewhere, while continuing to connect pax to EDI.

......yet.

That can always change. Things like subsidies, corporate ties, tourism explosions, etc can all usher that along.

But for now, if their calculations show that flying to EDI would gain them $X, but flying somewhere else with that same aircraft gains them $X+N, and "N" is greater than the cost delta, then they fly that aircraft somewhere else.

Thanks for the reply!

I totally understand where all that comes from & makes a lot of sense, especially in $$ wise.

I'm a bit more surprised that they never gave it ago, even many years ago before QR jumped on board and then EY for example, maybe 10-15 years ago time-frame no one even tried it from what I know. I would have thought tourism would have been a big draw factor especially for a place like Edinburgh as I do believe that's one big reason for Hainan launching the route.

Hopefully time will tell in the future whether they are able to try it out for a year & see what happens from it!

zeke

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:58 am

I would see many other destinations having a go before EDI, it really comes down to what gives the airline the best return on investment. CX is not state owned, it needs to make money.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

sevenair

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:07 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
Hi all, apologies in advanced if the topic has been raised recently, however I couldn't find anything, but if someone knows of somewhere for me to see, please do point me in the right direction.

I had always wondered regarding SQ & CX flying direct to EDI. Not specifically needing to be a daily route, even 4x weekly to the airlines respected hubs but something to avoid transfers in the UK or Europe & potentially take customers away from the likes of VS / BA / QR & even now EK.

I understand SQ routes you through the likes of FRA to EDI for example on LH & likewise with CX using BE in LON / MAN to get you to EDI & vice versa

Sorry for specifically sticking with EDI, I know more about the operations there than GLA but do feel free to through ideas out there.

Hainan Airlines has recently launched a 4x weekly service to EDI / DUB (i'm unsure how this is going for them so far), however I would have assumed (personal opinion here) that SQ or CX could have picked up a decent route flying directly & bringing passengers on their own metal with consistency to the likes of Asia / Australia / New Zealand.

I've always been a QF flyer but don't specifically want to fly EK to EDI or QR even & a nice change to avoid LHR would be nice (although I don't have anything against LHR).

Any insights or personal thoughts would be interesting to hear.

Thanks again!

Any particular reason why you would want them to 'take customers away' from VS / BA / QR / EK? Be careful what you wish for as you could too many cooks spoil the broth and long term can have a worse impact if for example EK pulls out then CX realises the yields aren't as planned and befor you know it you're without both airlines. EK and QR allow one stop connections to regional Australia from EDI and long may it continue. You have the option of taking the PER flight via LHR or when the rumoured QF CDG or FRA flights start you can get to Oz on QF and completely avoid England if that would be your preference.

OMAAbound

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:11 am

I’d also add that neither airline are much risk-takers. When it comes to both of them launching routes it seems that both are very ‘reactive’ instead of Being ‘Proactive’ which has been shown in the past

OMAA

Cunard

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:15 am

To the OP if you had done a search you would have noticed that there is a dedicated EDINBURGH thread where this exact topic has been discussed in great detail and is very current and you can engage with your question there although LAX7772R has eloquently answered your question and explained the reasons why perfectly well ''as usual'' :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

SCQ83

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:05 am

OMAAbound wrote:
I’d also add that neither airline are much risk-takers. When it comes to both of them launching routes it seems that both are very ‘reactive’ instead of Being ‘Proactive’ which has been shown in the past

It seems that Cathay has became "riskier" in the last few years by launching new routes like MAD, BCN, CPH (now dropped), DUS (idem) or BRU.

SQ seems clearly stuck. A good example is MAD. SQ has reiterated they have no interest to serve MAD. But CX launched MAD a couple of years ago and now it is to become daily on a A350-1000.

If anything, I could see CX on HKG-EDI, but not Singapore Airlines.

chunhimlai

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:41 am

Unlikely for CX in the near future

CX Flyboy

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:43 am

CX has been looking at another destination in the UK but it isn't up north. That chart above should give you some ideas.

Cunard

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 am

But would CX really contemplate starting BHX when LHR is only about 2 hours drive away with 5 daily flights along with LGW with it's daily flight and Manchester is not much further north with it's daily flight.

That's quite a few flights with CX to HKG.

Although it would be fantastic for BHX to gain a direct link to HKG with CX one has to remember that it took MAN several years to regain a direct link to HKG with CX.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos