Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyRow

Re: Rumour: Oneworld to add new member 05DEC18

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Wow, the amount of bitching in this thread is Incredible.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

tkoenig95

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:46 pm

FlyRow wrote:
Wow, the amount of bitching in this thread is Incredible.

Welcome to a.net 2018!

rrapynot

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Cunard wrote:
rrapynot wrote:
Could Interjet be the rumored North American airline?

Considering that it's already being discussed and in great detail on this thread and the fact it's more or less 99.99% confirmed that it's going to be Alaska Airlines what would a rather irrelevant airline such as Interjet bring to the Oneworld alliance!

Interjet would bring 56 destinations in a part of the world that is underserved by Oneworld. What does Copa bring to Star Allaince? What does Finnair, Sri Lankan or Fiji Airways bring to Oneworld? What does Alaska bring to Oneworld other than flights to a bunch of tiny outposts in Alaska?

Interjet already codeshare with Latam, AA, Iberia and BA. Those airlines must think Interjet brings something.

kruiseri

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 pm

rrapynot wrote:

Interjet would bring 56 destinations in a part of the world that is underserved by Oneworld. What does Copa bring to Star Allaince? What does Finnair, Sri Lankan or Fiji Airways bring to Oneworld? What does Alaska bring to Oneworld other than flights to a bunch of tiny outposts in Alaska?.

Finnair brings quite a few destinations in North and South East Asia that are otherwise not served from Europe by other OW carriers.

rrapynot

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:00 pm

kruiseri wrote:
rrapynot wrote:

Interjet would bring 56 destinations in a part of the world that is underserved by Oneworld. What does Copa bring to Star Allaince? What does Finnair, Sri Lankan or Fiji Airways bring to Oneworld? What does Alaska bring to Oneworld other than flights to a bunch of tiny outposts in Alaska?.

Finnair brings quite a few destinations in North and South East Asia that are otherwise not served from Europe by other OW carriers.

So Finnair serves a niche role? Similar to Interjet then.

Cunard

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Not quite the same, your definitely an INTERJET fanboy and there is no way that airline will join the OneWorld Alliance.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

MHG

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:26 pm

As far as I heard rumours it´s Alaska to become a "Oneworld Connect Partner" which is kind of an associate member - not a full member.
How that will actually look like (meaning how "close" this part-membership will be) - I don´t know.
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

usflyer msp

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 pm

People, the carrier being added on the 5th is going to be Royal Air Maroc. The AT CEO has already stated that he is making an announcement in NYC on that day. Why are we still arguing about this?

Antarius

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Cunard wrote:
Not quite the same, your definitely an INTERJET fanboy and there is no way that airline will join the OneWorld Alliance.

You seem to be grinding an axe. Mexicana went bankrupt multiple times. Yes they flew more routes, but maybe prestige routes werent the best option.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Cunard

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:52 pm

I am not grinding an axe whatsoever but just look at the current membership of OneWorld I can't honestly see how INTERJET could possibly join even as a ''OneWorld Connecter Partner'', they just don't seem be a logical fit in my opinion.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:00 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
People, the carrier being added on the 5th is going to be Royal Air Maroc. The AT CEO has already stated that he is making an announcement in NYC on that day. Why are we still arguing about this?

I think people are arguing or disputing the North American carrier in which certain individuals are suggesting INTERJET when it has more or less been confirmed that it's going to be ALASKA AIRLINES.

I think that we are all aware that Royal Air Maroc will be announced shortly as a new member to OneWorld that's not being disputed but certain posters have a thing about INTERJET and are banging on about them as being a possible contender which is not the case as it has already been hinted and suggested in the links at the beginning of this thread that ALASKA AIRLINES will be the next North American carrier to join the alliance either as a full member or as a ''Oneworld Connecter Partner''.

usflyer msp

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Cunard wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I think people are arguing or disputing the North American carrier in which certain individuals are suggesting INTERJET when it has more or less been confirmed that it's going to be ALASKA AIRLINES.

I think that we are all aware that Royal Air Maroc will be announced shortly as a new member to OneWorld that's not being disputed but certain posters have a thing about INTERJET and are banging on about them as being a possible contender which is not the case as it has already been hinted and suggested in the links at the beginning of this thread that ALASKA AIRLINES will be the next North American carrier to join the alliance either as a full member or as a ''Oneworld Connecter Partner''.

Who said another North American carrier is joining? Y'all are arguing about who is going to be the beneficiary of a statement OW never made. All we know is that Alaska might be interested in OW Connect.

Waterbomber

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:16 am

Adding RAM is a bit of non-sense imo.
Sure they add that West African network from Europe, the U.S. and China, but we're talking about minimal volumes, high fares and a poor hub in CMN, a combination that will struggle to compete against established airlines like AF, KL, SN. There is no loyal customer base at RAM that would suddenly choose to fly with BA or IB.
So while it makes sense in terms of network coverage, RAM doesn't bring anything of intrinsical value to the table that OW members can convert into real $$$.

So my bet is that CZ will be announced as full member starting February and RAM as a connect partner.

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Waterbomber wrote:
Sure they add that West African network from Europe, the U.S. and China, but we're talking about minimal volumes, high fares and a poor hub in CMN, a combination that will struggle to compete against established airlines like AF, KL, SN. There is no loyal customer base at RAM that would suddenly choose to fly with BA or IB.
So while it makes sense in terms of network coverage, RAM doesn't bring anything of intrinsical value to the table that OW members can convert into real $$$.

So my bet is that CZ will be announced as full member starting February and RAM as a connect partner.

Helpful or not, the announcement is all just marketing. Trying to get maximum exposure for the airline and for Oneworld.
Whether much happens that is practical is beside the point. They'll spin and hype the benefits to potential passengers regardless of ow many will every fly RAM.

If they have other partners ready to join as oneworld connect or whatever they call it, less than full members of Oneworld, it might help the alliance gain a perception that it's the alliance that's growing compared to the other alliances, but the full partner RAM would be diluted in being mentioned with other airlines. I think they'll announce RAM all by itself, and then Alaska as a partner but not member in the near future, all by itself.

usflyer msp

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:09 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
Waterbomber wrote:

Helpful or not, the announcement is all just marketing. Trying to get maximum exposure for the airline and for Oneworld.
Whether much happens that is practical is beside the point. They'll spin and hype the benefits to potential passengers regardless of ow many will every fly RAM.

If they have other partners ready to join as oneworld connect or whatever they call it, less than full members of Oneworld, it might help the alliance gain a perception that it's the alliance that's growing compared to the other alliances, but the full partner RAM would be diluted in being mentioned with other airlines. I think they'll announce RAM all by itself, and then Alaska as a partner but not member in the near future, all by itself.

If OW passengers have to fly AF, SN, TP to get West Africa, some of them may make that switch for all routes. Having options - even if they are not as robust as AF/KL, SN - is better than having none at all.

jfern022

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:03 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Would it kill anyone to actually use the airline name instead of their two letter code? Many of us have no idea outside of the major US carriers.

You claim to be so knowledagble about how bad Delta is and how they are making all the wrong decisions, but don’t know the airline codes?

TTailedTiger

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 am

jfern022 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Would it kill anyone to actually use the airline name instead of their two letter code? Many of us have no idea outside of the major US carriers.

You claim to be so knowledagble about how bad Delta is and how they are making all the wrong decisions, but don’t know the airline codes?

What does one have to do with the other? Why would I know the code of of some two-bit airline?

laxmia

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:22 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

What does one have to do with the other? Why would I know the code of of some two-bit airline?

Wow. Just wow.

Being knowledgeable about the industry is pretty much the only prerequisite for offering commentary about an airline’s decision making. And while the US is a huge market, it’s not the only market. At minimum you could fake it with the help of Google on basic searches like airline codes.

TTailedTiger

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:32 am

laxmia wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
jfern022 wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

Being knowledgeable about the industry is pretty much the only prerequisite for offering commentary about an airline’s decision making. And while the US is a huge market, it’s not the only market. At minimum you could fake it with the help of Google on basic searches like airline codes.

I know the codes of the major players like AA, DL, UA, WN, AS, B6, NK, F9, BA, NH,AF, KL, KE, LH, EK, QR, JL, EI, AC, WS, LX, AZ, AM, AI, NZ, QF, SK, SQ, CX, VS.

But you seriously expect everyone to know the code of insignificant airlines like Garuda, Iran Air, and Miat-Mongolian? And if they don't then they are not qualified to comment on anything?

Cunard

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:30 am

I really don't understand your argument regarding airline codes as I think that the majority actually do know them or at least do a quick search online which btw takes absolute seconds, you may actually learn them by doing that but it appears that yourself is the only person who doesn't seem to know the codes or at least are unable to learn them because I've not seen anyone else commenting on this topic.

What annoys me and I'm sure that it annoys many others when some post the airport code for some 'two bit' little unknown airport in the USA that know one hasn't even heard of before.

Regarding the examples of airline codes that your not familiar with, some are self explanatory as in,

Garuda GA
Iran Air IR

MIAT might not be so obvious as it's OM but it took five seconds to search that online.

It's a lot quicker and easier to use the airline codes and you might even learn something rather than just the ones that you have quoted in your previous post.

NTLDaz

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:44 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
laxmia wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

I know the codes of the major players like AA, DL, UA, WN, AS, B6, NK, F9, BA, NH,AF, KL, KE, LH, EK, QR, JL, EI, AC, WS, LX, AZ, AM, AI, NZ, QF, SK, SQ, CX, VS.

But you seriously expect everyone to know the code of insignificant airlines like Garuda, Iran Air, and Miat-Mongolian? And if they don't then they are not qualified to comment on anything?

Off topic I know but to call the flag carrier of the world's 4th largest population and 3rd largest democracy tin pot says more about you than anything else.

Cunard

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 am

NTLDaz wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
laxmia wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

Off topic I know but to call the flag carrier of the world's 4th largest population and 3rd largest democracy tin pot says more about you than anything else.

I absolutely agree with you but not only did he refer to Garuda in that way but also as being ''insignificant''!

TT-Tail is so American-Centric it's unbelievable!

Waterbomber

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:06 am

usflyer msp wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
Waterbomber wrote:

If OW passengers have to fly AF, SN, TP to get West Africa, some of them may make that switch for all routes. Having options - even if they are not as robust as AF/KL, SN - is better than having none at all.

Your argument looks good on the surface except that the US/Europe to West Africa market is not one that is going to get born on December 5th, it already exists a long time with AF/KL, SN and to a lesser degree TK as major players.
If OW passengers had to fly to West Africa until now, they had to take any of these carriers, so what makes you think that they are not also Skyteam or StarA passengers as much as they are OW passengers?

I doubt that passengers who were already flying the US/Europe to West Africa routes would suddenly switch to RAM just because it's OW now. Especially the ones who pay the big bucks.
You must be thinking that RAM is some kind of QR clone with a very nice product and a well-organised hub? Think again.

dfdubflyer

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:38 pm

For American loyalists in Texas - of which there are many - I can assure you they'll go out of their way to stick with OW for their EQM if they need to do business in West Africa

Rajahdhani

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:22 pm

So, understandably - AS has had to shave off their closer ties to AA at the beginning of the year;

[urlhttps://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-alaska-air-slash-partnership/][/url]

A not-so-good year overall, in California (and sure, there is increased competition, and a merger to complete, headquarters and corporate cultures to intertwine) has meant that their beginning of the year seemed chaotic. That said, the silver lining of this article reads as follows;

[urlhttps://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/02/southwest-airlines-and-alaska-air-are-playing-nice.aspx][/url]
"Both carriers will benefit as they retreat from markets where the other is stronger. Alaska will be the bigger winner, though, because it is less than half of Southwest's size and hasn't had as many high-performing routes to balance out the impact of unit revenue weakness in California. Indeed, Alaska Air now appears to be primed for a comeback starting in late 2018."

Additionally, as this article sums up;

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/03/29/alaska-airlines-tries-to-shore-up-its-internationa.aspx Aer Lingus isn't Alaska Airlines' first new partner since the Virgin America merger was announced. Finnair, Japan Airlines, and Singapore Airlines have also linked up with Alaska during the past two years. However, the additional connecting traffic from these partners will at most offset the lost traffic from Delta, Aeromexico, Air France, and KLM. (To make matters worse, Korean Air's days as an Alaska Airlines partner could be numbered, after it signed a joint venture deal with Delta last year.)

So it's evident that AS is heading in also in a transitional period here as well. As was pointed out earlier, adding AS to the OneWorld Alliance (even as a Connect member) would increase access to the U.S. Pacific Coast (and Hawaii) in a way that OneWorld cannot duly replicate save for AA's efforts.

AS joining OneWorld would be a logical progression of a strategy that seem well on as is.

Though not a direct comparison - CM is a fantastic example of how a 'lean, litte' airline can hold it's own and also add so much to their alliance - even in the face of increased competition (regionally) but still impressively using what they have to make fantastic things happen.

usflyer msp

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Waterbomber wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:

Your argument looks good on the surface except that the US/Europe to West Africa market is not one that is going to get born on December 5th, it already exists a long time with AF/KL, SN and to a lesser degree TK as major players.
If OW passengers had to fly to West Africa until now, they had to take any of these carriers, so what makes you think that they are not also Skyteam or StarA passengers as much as they are OW passengers?

I doubt that passengers who were already flying the US/Europe to West Africa routes would suddenly switch to RAM just because it's OW now. Especially the ones who pay the big bucks.
You must be thinking that RAM is some kind of QR clone with a very nice product and a well-organised hub? Think again.

Travel patterns change - just because I may not fly to West Africa now does not mean I might not need to in the future. There are lots of variables.

You keep bashing RAM's product but have you flown them? I have and they are fine. Not spectacular - I would put them as equivalent to RJ or MH.

Rajahdhani

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Would changing the status of a member, count?

FJ is a connect member - and perhaps could form closer bonds to each partner in a bid for greater market share.

chonetsao

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:33 pm

I think smaller Airlines like RJ and UL should seek to downgrade themselves to Connect partners to save alliance cost. Full membership to small airlines like RJ and UL no longer make any sense.

LupineChemist

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am

What time is the press conference and where can we follow it?

Obzerva

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am

chonetsao wrote:
I think smaller Airlines like RJ and UL should seek to downgrade themselves to Connect partners to save alliance cost. Full membership to small airlines like RJ and UL no longer make any sense.

That’s an interesting point.

The alliances are trying to use connect partners to increase their numbers or at the very least show growth, but if members started going backwards, ie from full member to connect member then it could end up having the opposite effect.

There’s a few small airlines in Star that could consider that, eg OU and JP

usflyer msp

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm

chonetsao wrote:

I disagree. The big expense is actually joining the alliance - upgrading technology, training employees, updating marketing materials. Since they already did this, these are now sunken costs for these smaller carriers. There is no point in downgrading as the maintenance costs of membership are minimal.

Aisak

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 pm

chonetsao wrote:

While budget and P&L of skyteam, star or OneWorld is not public as they are not listed on any stock exchange, they can’t be organizations that consume a lot of resources. Don’t know how outrageous fees could be, but I don’t know if downgrading saves a lot.

I remember when Aer Lingus left. It was said they didn’t want to spend a cent on upgrading systems to accept Lan Argentina, Lan Ecuador, JAL (and subsidiaries), Malév and Royal Jordanian.
Several systems and processes had to be altered as interlining with these new ones, e-ticketing, through check-in, mileage acrual (and billing) on EI cards for segments flown on these new ones, mileage notification (and payment) for JL MA and RJ cards on your segments, two-way billing when using lounges...... that’s the cost they wanted to avoid, not the membership per se.

All those being time and money consuming were not useful for Aer Lingus, so they decided to step down and sign one2one agreements with the interesting carriers for them.

While SriLankan, Royal.... don’t have great deep ties with several carriers it does not make any sense to break all ties as there is not much required to keep up with them. Should OW were to receive 5 more members and new contracts and procedures had to be signed, that’d be a whole different story.
But just accepting small OW connect carriers... that’s something bearable to start with, looking at the “benefits” offered within the connect scheme.

LupineChemist

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Aisak wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

While budget and P&L of skyteam, star or OneWorld is not public as they are not listed on any stock exchange, they can’t be organizations that consume a lot of resources. Don’t know how outrageous fees could be, but I don’t know if downgrading saves a lot.

I remember when Aer Lingus left. It was said they didn’t want to spend a cent on upgrading systems to accept Lan Argentina, Lan Ecuador, JAL (and subsidiaries), Malév and Royal Jordanian.
Several systems and processes had to be altered as interlining with these new ones, e-ticketing, through check-in, mileage acrual (and billing) on EI cards for segments flown on these new ones, mileage notification (and payment) for JL MA and RJ cards on your segments, two-way billing when using lounges...... that’s the cost they wanted to avoid, not the membership per se.

All those being time and money consuming were not useful for Aer Lingus, so they decided to step down and sign one2one agreements with the interesting carriers for them.

While SriLankan, Royal.... don’t have great deep ties with several carriers it does not make any sense to break all ties as there is not much required to keep up with them. Should OW were to receive 5 more members and new contracts and procedures had to be signed, that’d be a whole different story.
But just accepting small OW connect carriers... that’s something bearable to start with, looking at the “benefits” offered within the connect scheme.

It would be interesting if an alliance took on a more proactive role and implemented a common ticketing system and common clearinghouse for alliance benefits. I think that could work and do quite a bit to save on a lot of the back end costs for the members themselves by capturing more scale. Though I can't imagine any alliance willing to be the first to try it out.

usflyer msp

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Every oneworld carrier except S7, AA, and the LATAM carriers use Amadeus. S7 is in the process of migrating to Amadeus (AT uses Amadeus as well). AA and LATAM both use SABRE, so there Are only two primary systems that have to be updated. EI's problem was that they use their own proprietary technology platform so they would shoulder 100% of any costs to update.

VTCIE

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:
So, understandably - AS has had to shave off their closer ties to AA at the beginning of the year;

[urlhttps://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-alaska-air-slash-partnership/][/url]

A not-so-good year overall, in California (and sure, there is increased competition, and a merger to complete, headquarters and corporate cultures to intertwine) has meant that their beginning of the year seemed chaotic. That said, the silver lining of this article reads as follows;

[urlhttps://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/02/southwest-airlines-and-alaska-air-are-playing-nice.aspx][/url]
"Both carriers will benefit as they retreat from markets where the other is stronger. Alaska will be the bigger winner, though, because it is less than half of Southwest's size and hasn't had as many high-performing routes to balance out the impact of unit revenue weakness in California. Indeed, Alaska Air now appears to be primed for a comeback starting in late 2018."

Additionally, as this article sums up;

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/03/29/alaska-airlines-tries-to-shore-up-its-internationa.aspx Aer Lingus isn't Alaska Airlines' first new partner since the Virgin America merger was announced. Finnair, Japan Airlines, and Singapore Airlines have also linked up with Alaska during the past two years. However, the additional connecting traffic from these partners will at most offset the lost traffic from Delta, Aeromexico, Air France, and KLM. (To make matters worse, Korean Air's days as an Alaska Airlines partner could be numbered, after it signed a joint venture deal with Delta last year.)

So it's evident that AS is heading in also in a transitional period here as well. As was pointed out earlier, adding AS to the OneWorld Alliance (even as a Connect member) would increase access to the U.S. Pacific Coast (and Hawaii) in a way that OneWorld cannot duly replicate save for AA's efforts.

AS joining OneWorld would be a logical progression of a strategy that seem well on as is.

Though not a direct comparison - CM is a fantastic example of how a 'lean, litte' airline can hold it's own and also add so much to their alliance - even in the face of increased competition (regionally) but still impressively using what they have to make fantastic things happen.

Can you explain why CM—ahem, Copa Airlines—has held its own? There aren't many full-service airlines its size—that too an alliance member—whose biggest aircraft is the 737-800.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

tkoenig95

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm

So is there any real news on this topic other than the arguing that you all have been doing the past few days?

steeler83

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Some time back I read that China Southern is considering One World (Couldn't tell if this was confirmed in the scores of responses here given the debate about the IATA airline codes). If that's the case, what are the odds of seeing PVG-PHL or PEK-PHL on the horizon - perhaps with a 787? Not sure what demand if any would be there from Guangzhou...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PHLspecial

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:19 pm

steeler83 wrote:
Some time back I read that China Southern is considering One World (Couldn't tell if this was confirmed in the scores of responses here given the debate about the IATA airline codes). If that's the case, what are the odds of seeing PVG-PHL or PEK-PHL on the horizon - perhaps with a 787? Not sure what demand if any would be there from Guangzhou...

As much I want a Asia flight from PHL I'm not sure about that. I mean from what I understand their were Air China representatives that visited PHL this year. I'm unsure that will lead anywhere. Would it not take a while for China Southern to divorce from Skyteam to integrate to Oneworld like a years time? Also I don't think PHL has any slot priority in China what so ever. Most likely I'm going to rule out China Southern as new member because of the recent divorce with Skyteam.

redwingspilot

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
So is there any real news on this topic other than the arguing that you all have been doing the past few days?

It's not a rumor, this was from the Oneworld newsletter sent on Monday

oneworld is to unveil a new full member elect this week – the alliance’s first new full recruit for six years.
Its identify will be revealed at a press conference to be held in New York on Wednesday following the final meeting of the year of the oneworld Governing Board.
Look out for eworld news for updates!

rbavfan

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Clipper101 wrote:
CZ has sighted an interest in joining OW

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... e-carriers

Sorry it posted to the wrong comment.

rbavfan

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:52 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

It is a site geared toward professionals. What would be better would be to contact the site admin and help us get back the old hover over the the code & it showed the mane feature. Makes no sense they cut that when the new company took over. After all try quickly typing Aerolíneas Argentinas or many other long winded names while posting on a cell phone.

steeler83

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:55 pm

PHair enough PHLspecial. I just figured since they were looking to strengthen their ties with AA and PHL is a major int'l hub for them that there'd be some possibility. Given that they're leaving Skyteam this year, I figured it wouldn't be soon to start thinking about. Hence why I worded it "on the horizon." I know what usually transpires from those meetings. They essentially look at the facilities and examine the logistics/market/etc to determine if what they want to bring to the table is feasible/will work.

Now, AS allegedly looking to join OW, this should make things rather intriguing.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

rbavfan

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Cunard wrote:
Considering that 99% of people on this site use the airline code that's a huge thing to ask to be honest with you.

I have to admit that a majority of users do actually know what the airline code is or at least have a reasonable guess at it!

Airline codes can sometimes be three digits and the use of numbers as well as they are not all two letter codes.

Although I think that you might be highly generalising when you state that ''many of us have no idea outside of the US major carriers'' I think they probably do!

If in doubt there is always Google or just go to http://www.world-airport-codes.com

Would it kill anyone to actually use the airport name instead of the three letter code :-)

The same thing though could be asked about those from the USA that continually use airport codes that hardly any of us know or are aware of or haven't even seen before outside of the United States of America.

It's a two way thing and this site is international not American-centric as most assume!

I must admit that it was far easier on airliners.net when we were able could see the codes when using the cursor over them, I honestly don't understand why that facility is no longer as it made life a lot easier.

True but they went from the old 3 letter to 2 letter codes for airlines & most international members would say KORD vs ORD for O'hare

kgaiflyer

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:02 pm

"I must admit that it was far easier on airliners.net when we were able could see the codes when using the cursor over them, I honestly don't understand why that facility is no longer as it made life a lot easier."

The airline and airport identifier feature - on the old operating system - was dated and frequently inaccurate. As airlines start up and meet their demise - quite a lot in the last few years - codes change. The airline-identifier feature couldn't keep up and became a nuisance.

LAXintl

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Its RAM as others have stated.

OW news conference about to get going. RAM CEO in attendance.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Miami

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Made an official thread but got locked for no reason. viewtopic.php?p=20909629#p20909629

Anyways, congrats to OneWorld and RAM.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

qf789

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Miami wrote:
Made an official thread but got locked for no reason. viewtopic.php?p=20909629#p20909629

Anyways, congrats to OneWorld and RAM.

The other thread was locked as there is no need for 2 threads on the same topic. The title of this thread has now been updated.
Forum Moderator

TSA125

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Irehdna wrote:
Either AK or CZ, most likely AK since CX has yet to leave OW.

Since when is CX leaving OW??
No not that TSA.

Miami

Re: Oneworld adds Royal Air Maroc as its newest member

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Cathay is not leaving.. Please stop this nonsense.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Breathe

Re: Oneworld adds Royal Air Maroc as its newest member

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:33 pm

OneWorld welcomes its first African based member. Lets hope this new partnership works for OneWorld frequent flyers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos