mcdu
Topic Author

Southwest agent mocks child’s name

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:12 am

This is pushing the bounds to post the child’s boarding pass online. No matter how odd her name is, she didn’t deserve that sort of treatment by Southwest

https://abc7chicago.com/travel/southwest-gate-agent-mocks-5-year-old-girls-name/4784746/

Tartarus

Re: Southwest agent mocks child’s name

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:27 am

Attention seeking mother gives child an attention seeking name, and becomes triggered when it gets attention.

wjcandee

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:29 am

Stay classy, Southwest.

wjcandee

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:34 am

Tartarus wrote:
Attention seeking mother gives child an attention seeking name, and becomes triggered when it gets attention.

NOTE: The epileptic child isn't "attention seeking". She didn't name herself.

I don't think she was "triggered" by the name getting "attention", as it would be if a person said nicely, as a conversation-opener, "Oh, what an interesting/unusual/nice name, Sweetie. Is there an interesting story behind it?"

What she was triggered by was the agent: (1) MOCKING the kid to other co-workers while the Customer and child were in earshot; and (2) POSTING the boarding pass to Social Media (is that even within Southwest's social media policy?) to mock the kid.

Both of which deserve a response to the agent in person and to her employer.

stl07

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:41 am

wjcandee wrote:
Tartarus wrote:

NOTE: The epileptic child isn't "attention seeking". She didn't name herself.

I don't think she was "triggered" by the name getting "attention", as it would be if a person said nicely, as a conversation-opener, "Oh, what an interesting/unusual/nice name, Sweetie. Is there an interesting story behind it?"

What she was triggered by was the agent: (1) MOCKING the kid to other co-workers while the Customer and child were in earshot; and (2) POSTING the boarding pass to Social Media (is that even within Southwest's social media policy?) to mock the kid.

Both of which deserve a response to the agent in person and to her employer.

Mocking was mean, but not the end of the world

what was bad was the fact that after the mom told her to stop, she posted it on social media. And not in a "look at how cool this name is" way
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

PlanesNTrains

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:48 am

mcdu wrote:
This is pushing the bounds to post the child’s boarding pass online. No matter how odd her name is, she didn’t deserve that sort of treatment by Southwest

https://abc7chicago.com/travel/southwest-gate-agent-mocks-5-year-old-girls-name/4784746/

Oh buh-rother. She wasn’t treated that way by Southwest, she was treated that way by a couple of Southwest employees.

I will say, though, that you have inspired me. I’ve found numerous recent airline incidents below that may have slipped below the a.net radar. I guess I should start a thread every time something goes wrong at [fill in the blank] Airlines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 2054037002

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 694330002/

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thedenve ... hotel.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.click2 ... -to-israel
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

D L X

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:49 am

Tartarus wrote:

Attention seeking gate agent uploads customer information to social media for purpose of mocking.

There. I fixed it for you.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:51 am

D L X wrote:
Tartarus wrote:

Attention seeking gate agent uploads customer information to social media for purpose of mocking.

There. I fixed it for you.

It really is crazy what people think is appropriate. Why they’d mock someone - let alone post it on social media - is beyond me, but you can’t fix stupid. You can fire it, though.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Nomadd

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:52 am

If you don't want people laughing, you probably shouldn't give your child a joke name.

sevenair

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:55 am

I don't seethe relevance of her epilepsy. Seems its just being used to get oppression points. The kid is in for a hard life and this is exactly why parents need to think hard about giving kids their quirky attention seeking names. If it's pronounced 'Ab-city' then why not spell it 'Abcity' instead of the cry for attention ABCDE.

bob606

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:59 am

From the ABC story "Abcde lives with epilepsy, so the Redfords always pre-board." No reflection on the girl, but why on earth should they preboard?

BNORD1

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:06 am

tartar..S..auce isn't that something you serve with fish? Just thinking

Moose135

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:11 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Oh buh-rother. She wasn’t treated that way by Southwest, she was treated that way by a couple of Southwest employees.

Two employees who were on duty, working for Southwest and representing the airline at the time, so yes, she was treated that way by Southwest.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

PlanesNTrains

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:24 am

Moose135 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Two employees who were on duty, working for Southwest and representing the airline at the time, so yes, she was treated that way by Southwest.

Clearly they are employees of Southwest, and we can argue semantics all day.
-Dave

seahawk

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:27 am

Posting boarding cards of passenger on social media alone is good enough to fire the employee.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:29 am

seahawk wrote:
Posting boarding cards of passenger on social media alone is good enough to fire the employee.

I hope they are. They used poor judgment that reflected poorly on nearly 60,000 co-workers. STUPID
-Dave

LAX772LR

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Though you wouldn't be successful in any such argument.

Moose135 is correct... and if you don't understand why, then look up "Respondeat Superior" and start educating yourself from there.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

PlanesNTrains

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:35 am

LAX772LR wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Moose135 wrote:

Though you wouldn't be successful in such an argument.

Moose135 is correct... and if you don't understand why, then look up "Respondeat Superior" and start educating yourself from there.

Thanks for the lecture. Sorry you see it differently.
-Dave

LAX772LR

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:39 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Thanks for the lecture.

No problem, seeing as you were (and still are) clearly in need of it.

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Sorry you see it differently.

Irrelevant. What you were shown, but apparently too ignorant to grasp, is how the law definitively sees it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jetpixx

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:44 am

Believe it or not, there are 328 people in the United States named ABCDE. Seriously. So not that unique. The mom should have went the whole route...ABCDEFGHI - pronounced 'Ab-city-figgy' - or even further.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

PlanesNTrains

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 am

jetpixx wrote:
Believe it or not, there are 328 people in the United States named ABCDE. Seriously. So not that unique. The mom should have went the whole route...ABCDEFGHI - pronounced 'Ab-city-figgy' - or even further.

I’m shocked that I’m shocked, but I’m shocked. That name has never crossed my mind before.
-Dave

Willjet

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 am

I would think the name of the child has no bearing in the actions of the employee, which was quite unprofessional.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:05 am

Willjet wrote:
I would think the name of the child has no bearing in the actions of the employee, which was quite unprofessional.

Hopefully terminable. It’s just a cancer to have someone like that as part of your organization.
-Dave

BREECH

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:23 am

People who give their children "special" names always irritate me. A music producer calls her child Bieber. LOVELY! Following that logic a door carpenter should name his son Knob. But even more I'm irritated by "special" spelling of names. My personal most hated is Siehera. For non-americans, they meant Sierra. If you want to "stand out", change YOUR name. That girl's journey through high-school will be a living hell!

And what the heck does epilepsy has to do with anything? She wasn't mocked because of her illness. She was mocked because her mother is nee Radnik.
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

BREECH

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:30 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Hopefully terminable. It’s just a cancer to have someone like that as part of your organization.

I agree. It's an HR holocaust. A Hiroshima nuclear bombing of behavior. A Chernobyl at the gate. A GITMO of an employee. A Vietnam war of an agent. A Katrina of a citizen. A 9/11 of a woman! Twelve years a Southwest frequent flyer.

Gawd, I LOVE exaggerated metaphors!!!
Sergey Dovlatov

mjoelnir

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:37 am

bob606 wrote:
From the ABC story "Abcde lives with epilepsy, so the Redfords always pre-board." No reflection on the girl, but why on earth should they preboard?

Why not?

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 am

What a stupid name. How the hell are you supposed to know how to pronounce that? Ab-city. Uh, yeah.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Tartarus

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:49 am

BNORD1 wrote:
tartar..S..auce isn't that something you serve with fish? Just thinking

Only if you didn't pay attention in school.

wjcandee

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:52 am

Sad to watch you guys carp at each other when you all basically agree that a Southwest employee in the scope of employment mocked a kid who was maybe a little more fragile than the rest of us for no reason other than the name the parent gave her and then took to social media to mock her more. Yeah it was this particular nitwit that did this, but usually these folks stand out as needing management/coaching/retraining/whatever before they do something really, really dumb. It's WN's problem because they hired this nitwit and whatever training/management she did or did not receive before now didn't give her pause before doing this. They used to personality-test out the butt before hiring people for any position; guess that didn't pick up the immaturity/meanness evident here, or she was given a pass for some reason.

Anyway, not the biggest transgression in the world, but one worthy of action, and it looks like WN has done something about it.

SeoulIncheon

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:50 am

BREECH wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

I agree. It's an HR holocaust. A Hiroshima nuclear bombing of behavior. A Chernobyl at the gate. A GITMO of an employee. A Vietnam war of an agent. A Katrina of a citizen. A 9/11 of a woman! Twelve years a Southwest frequent flyer.

Gawd, I LOVE exaggerated metaphors!!!

I think cancer of an organisation was a word bit too kind to the "agents." In many jurisdictions the agent's posting of Abcde's boarding pass is blatant violation of privacy law, which can put the violator in jail. Southwest will most likely be liable for tort damages due to its' employee's actions. Truly a PR disaster for WN, and the agents' actions are utterly disgusting.

BREECH

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am

SeoulIncheon wrote:
In many jurisdictions the agent's posting of Abcde's boarding pass is blatant violation of privacy law, which can put the violator in jail.

Like where? North Korea? Nazi Germany? Arizona?

SeoulIncheon wrote:
Southwest will most likely be liable for tort damages due to its' employee's actions. Truly a PR disaster for WN, and the agents' actions are utterly disgusting.

Yeah, a horrible crime was committed! Never before seen anywhere! Let's put "weird names" in a search engine. Oh... 409 million results. I honestly didn't expect that many.
Sergey Dovlatov

airtran737

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:09 am

Trash name, trash mom, trash story. She’s going to get called a lot worse because her mother is a dirty hippie who named her something idiotic.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

bennett123

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:26 am

Regardless of the name that the woman gave her daughter.

Suppose you went into a Restaurant and one member of staff shouted across the room to another, this guy is called 'ABCDE' isn't that a dumb name. How would you react.

Putting it on Social Media is a hundred times worse for obvious reasons.

I am also curious about the implications of a WN employee posting a boarding pass on Social Media.

CARST

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:38 am

Everyone is getting so worked up on this topics. Topics which would not have interested anyone 10 or 15 years ago. These "social media shitstorms" are really the biggest bullshit the internet age has produced. Getting worked up about minor stuff, that's not interesting for 99% of the population.

And also I find it interesting that nearly no one here is thinking about the real "victim" of this case, the child. Not that the child is suffering enough with being born with a disability, no, it also has fucked up morons as parents who gave it a name, which will get it mocked its whole life in school. And probably later, too. So actually we are talking about moronic parents here, plus moronic gate agents, which sadly represent a whole airline, despite some not wanting to see this.

Bricktop

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:56 am

I feel bad for the kid. Epilepsy and given a name that is attention-seeking. My real name is only mildly unusual, and I heard all the jokes early in life, multiple times. I have been saying "aha, good one, haven't heard THAT before" with rolleyes for decades now, but as I reached adulthood it's diminished. She's going to get the double-take every time, and many snickers. Bad job, mom. Just because you can name your child Abcde doesn't mean you should. You may think it's cute, but when she gets a bit older and really starts interacting with the general population, she won't. Enjoy those teen years, mom.

Luckily most of us named or will name our children a little more thoughtfully. Most of us would also be thoughtful enough not to behave as these WN employees did, And "social media" is a scourge of our times.

sixfootscream

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:05 am

When ever I see this stuff, I wonder what a weak and fragile society America must be.

wiggy

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:12 am

what was the name because the link is blocked

axiom

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 am

The level of discourse in this thread -- from name-calling to mocking to declarations of "weak" society and "trash" people -- is really on a new level, even by post-paywall a.net standards. It's a disturbing reflection of our state of affairs. Many of you are pretty damned shameful -- don't you have anything better to do?

I love having conversations about aviation, and learning about the good, bad, and the ugly. But this has all but become a functionally toxic place.

CONTACREW

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:20 am

wiggy wrote:

Abcde pronounced Abcity
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

Momo1435

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:22 am

wiggy wrote:

Abcde, pronounced as Ab-City

In most countries such a name wouldn't even be allowed, it will simply be refused when the new born is registered.

andymartin

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:27 am

Naming your child like that is near child abuse, remove the child from the mother.

AleksW

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 am

CARST wrote:
Everyone is getting so worked up on this topics. Topics which would not have interested anyone 10 or 15 years ago. These "social media shitstorms" are really the biggest bullshit the internet age has produced. Getting worked up about minor stuff, that's not interesting for 99% of the population.

And also I find it interesting that nearly no one here is thinking about the real "victim" of this case, the child. Not that the child is suffering enough with being born with a disability, no, it also has fucked up morons as parents who gave it a name, which will get it mocked its whole life in school. And probably later, too. So actually we are talking about moronic parents here, plus moronic gate agents, which sadly represent a whole airline, despite some not wanting to see this.

+1
Poor kid, really. And surrounded by adult imbeciles.

Armodeen

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 am

This is why there should be an IQ test to breed.

This kid is going to get destroyed at school. Thanks mum!

Hship

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:33 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Irrelevant. What you were shown, but apparently too ignorant to grasp, is how the law definitively sees it.

I don't mind people being stupid, we all have our intellectual weak points. What I do mind is people being arrogant, so allow me to point out:

Just because an issue is settled in your mind does not mean it is settled in reality. You may have the ability to spell Respondeat superior, but you can't apply it where and how you like. The concept is not as widely applied as you may think.

If an employee goes against an employer's policy or instructions, the employer is rarely held fully accountable for the employee's actions.
Is an employee or the employer responsible for fraud committed by the employer without the knowledge of the employer? Depends in which court the case is heard.

At least on a governmental level, SCOTUS would disagree with you. Different circuit courts would reach different conclusions on the matter as it relates to companies as the employer.

These four points are usually considered where the concept is applicable:
1) Was the act carried out while the employee was on the clock?
2) Was the act carried out as part the employee’s job duties, or the agent’s responsibilities?
3) Was the act of the same nature as the employee’s job responsibilities?
4) Was the employee motivated to commit the act for the purpose of benefiting the employer?
(https://legaldictionary.net/respondeat-superior/)

Clearly, in this case, only the first question is in the affirmative. So, by those criteria, you're only 25% correct, while Moose135 is 75% correct.

Both your views and the views of Moose135 might be supported by different courts, but for you to arrogantly insist on "how the law definitively sees it", makes you the "ignorant" fool.

wjcandee

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:39 am

wiggy wrote:

The link worked for me just now, but the name was Abcde.

DXTraveler

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:39 am

"When ever I see this stuff, I wonder what a weak and fragile society America must be."

Yes...because it accurately represents all 300 plus million people. Sheesh

Momo1435

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 pm

You could argue if this has anything to do with aviation. Yes it was a Southwest agent that shamed the kid on social media, but any further discussion is not aviation related. That's why you see that this discussion is going this route.

planecane

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:00 pm

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
What a stupid name. How the hell are you supposed to know how to pronounce that? Ab-city. Uh, yeah.

How is there a "t" sound in "abcde?" Why would somebody name their child so stupidly? A pet, fine have fun, but you're making your child go through life knowing that many people are silently snickering at her.

I had a college professor with a dog named "cat" and a cat named "dog." I thought that was creative and funny. If he had a son named "daughter" and a daughter named "son" I'd have thought he was a moron.

B6JFKH81

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 pm

This reminds me of a Lewis Black comedy act from like 10 years ago about naming children and how there should be a government official to say "no" to the parents...Abcde is actually one of the names mentioned. Here is a short clip of it that I can find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1mOFzv02lk
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Hship

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Hship wrote:
Clearly, in this case, only the first question is in the affirmative. So, by those criteria, you're only 25% correct, while Moose135 is 75% correct.

Both your views and the views of Moose135 might be supported by different courts, but for you to arrogantly insist on "how the law definitively sees it", makes you the "ignorant" fool.

Correction: when stating Moose135, I should have stated PlanesNTrains.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos