Topic Author

TAP announces service LIS-ORD

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:29 pm

yeogeo
Topic Author

Re: TAP announces service LIS-ORD

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:19 am

TAP Chicago schedule:
TP 229 departs LIS 13:05hrs arrives ORD 16:05 hrs, after a 9hr flight on the A-330-900neo
The return, TP 228, departs 18:05 hrs and arrives back in Lisbon 07:50hrs +1 after 7hrs 45min in flight.

Initially due to operate xTues/Thurs

SurfandSnow

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:41 am

Wonderful news! I think TP is a great airline and LIS a great place to connect. It sounds like Lisbon is a wonderful place to visit as well.

LHUSA

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 am

I'm surprised they're using their largest gauge to open up a brand new route. I figured this would be an A332.

flyingdoc787

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:18 am

They're putting their best foot forward on this route, hence the brand new A330-900neo. Good for them!
Congrats to ORD on another international carrier. The flight information board in Terminal 5 is getting more and more interesting with such a diversity of destinations!
And congratulations to TP as well on their expansion.

piedmontf284000

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 am

Just when it was thought that T5 couldn't get any busier in early evening bank during Summer months. Here's hoping that TP arrives at T5 and departs out of T1.

Also, TP announced non-stop service to LIS from IAD starting June 16th. IAD has been quietly adding several Int'l routes recently.

yeogeo
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
Here's hoping that TP arrives at T5 and departs out of T1.

That, I would have to say, is as likely as a nice glass of ice water in hell (referring to the departing from T-1 part)... and why would TAP merit such a distinction over the myriad Star carriers (just for starters, Austrian, Avianca, Asiana, Air India...) who've been operating at O'Hare longer than TP?

No, somehow it seems they've found room in T-5 for an A-330 for two hours during the early evening. Amazing. Perhaps O'Hare has found a hard stand and a bus? Lord knows there are enough buses around since the ATS is mostly INOP.

LH658

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 am

Surprise it wasn't IAH.

pabloeing

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:09 am

amazing

runway23

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:39 am

So where's SFO and YUL both of which were widely rumored ?

upperdeckfan

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:53 am

As TP grows in NorthAmerica I hope they improve connections from Spanish biggest markets besides Madrid, it's a good oportunity to funnel traffic from places such as AGP, VLC, SVQ, BIO and even BCN who wants to avoid MAD or backtracking through CDG, FRA or LHR.

mac3xx

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 am

The event is not that much the destination, it's more the first revenue service of the A330 NEO.
Well done TAP. Even if with a little delay.

pabloeing

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:25 am

In IAD TAP is sending the A321LR too.....¿the same in ORD?

eamondzhang

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:32 am

mac3xx wrote:
The event is not that much the destination, it's more the first revenue service of the A330 NEO.
Well done TAP. Even if with a little delay.

GRU is the first intercontinental A339 destination as per the delivery thread, starting Jan '19.

Michael

airbazar

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:18 pm

LHUSA wrote:
I'm surprised they're using their largest gauge to open up a brand new route. I figured this would be an A332.

The A339 is about 25% cheaper per seat than the A332. On a trip cost basis, IIRC the A339 is only 3-4% more costly which means they don't have to fill up the A339 to start seeing savings. And that is why TAP is replacing A332's with A339's: more seats and payload at no extra cost.

Having said that I suspect that the equipment being listed on these new routes is just a place holder and that we'll know later exactly what equipment will be used.

yeogeo
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:40 pm

runway23 wrote:
So where's SFO and YUL both of which were widely rumored ?

The posters here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1403483&start=50 have so far been right so I would say it's just a matter of time (and more aircraft deliveries?)

"The 10 North American destinations that TAP aims to have in the near future are mostly known; the 5 existing: MIA, EWR, JFK, BOS and YYZ, plus the other 5 discussed many times: SFO, ORD, IAD, YUL (all all planned for 2019) and LAX (2020?)." LXwing, post 68.

LH658 wrote:
Surprise it wasn't IAH.

Again, LXwing: "I highly doubt that IAH will ever happen for TAP. Good connectivity or not, I simply don't see a market for such a route, especially O&D which is essential for any route to succeed."

yeogeo
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:44 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Wonderful news! I think TP is a great airline and LIS a great place to connect. It sounds like Lisbon is a wonderful place to visit as well.

Meh - not impressed with LIS, but yes, Lisbon is very nice place to visit, IMO.

airbazar

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:07 pm

yeogeo wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

Meh - not impressed with LIS, but yes, Lisbon is very nice place to visit, IMO.

It's hit or miss IMO. It's been overrun with duty free like most European airports. It is super congested but as usual it comes down to the time of day and personal preference.
A lot of people get put off by the fact that it doesn't have enough contact gates however busing is actually faster than contact gates. There's a reason why Ryanair doesn't use contact gates anywhere. And it goes without saying that as an aviation enthusiast I love the tour of the tarmac and walking up the stairs to board a plane. Immigration can be a long wait if you're stuck behind the early morning arrivals from Africa and Brazil, but outside of that it's not bad at all. Still, it's nothing compared to what foreign visitors have to deal with at any U.S. airport :) The airport amenities aren't bad for a short layover and if you have a long layover, downtown Lisbon is only a 20 minute cab ride away, and Parque das Nações is half of that or 3 stops on the subway. Since security lines are short, going into town during a layover is quite feasible.

MIflyer12

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:15 pm

I don't get the fascination with UA hubs. Sure, it's *A. But what does ORD add beyond what they already get with EWR? Sure, it's a bunch of Upper Midwest destinations but how much demand to/from LIS do you think those destinations hold? Fargo and Lincoln et al? UA already hits the primary and secondary cities from EWR.

RamblinMan

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:37 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
But what does ORD add beyond what they already get with EWR? Sure, it's a bunch of Upper Midwest destinations but how much demand to/from LIS do you think those destinations hold? Fargo and Lincoln et al? UA already hits the primary and secondary cities from EWR.

You know there's a metro area of 10 million at ORD, right? Like it's not just for connections to Nebraska and North Dakota.

yeogeo
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:01 pm

airbazar wrote:
...it's not bad at all..

Boy aren't you the tolerant one!

Yes, LIS is congested, passengers are forced to run a rat's maze of duty free, busing in and out of the terminal is par for the course (its faster?? methinks Ryanair does it 'cause they're cheap!) ... and its better than any US airport for foreigners!

This foreigner visiting Portugal adds that the Star lounge is miserable, the checkin area has the charm of a barn, the departure gate was so confined that a good portion of the departing passengers had to hang out in the hallway and the passport control waiting area resembles a particularly bad post office from the 50's.

..and since you brought up US airports...Compare the above to SFO, DEN... even ORD, where T-5 is at least clean, modern, has a speedy FIS and doesn't force pax to confront hawkers with perfume bottles in hand.

...but loved Lisbon itself!

yeogeo
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:09 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
But what does ORD add beyond what they already get with EWR? Sure, it's a bunch of Upper Midwest destinations but how much demand to/from LIS do you think those destinations hold? Fargo and Lincoln et al? UA already hits the primary and secondary cities from EWR.

You know there's a metro area of 10 million at ORD, right? Like it's not just for connections to Nebraska and North Dakota.

and I'd add: where does this concept come from that only peeps in big cities travel internationally?

airbazar

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:20 pm

yeogeo wrote:
airbazar wrote:
...it's not bad at all..

Yes, LIS is congested, passengers are forced to run a rat's maze of duty free, busing in and out of the terminal is par for the course (its faster?? methinks Ryanair does it 'cause they're cheap!) ... and its better than any US airport for foreigners!

This foreigner visiting Portugal adds that the Star lounge is miserable, the checkin area has the charm of a barn, the departure gate was so confined that a good portion of the departing passengers had to hang out in the hallway and the passport control waiting area resembles a particularly bad post office from the 50's.

..and since you brought up US airports...Compare the above to SFO, DEN... even ORD, where T-5 is at least clean, modern, has a speedy FIS and doesn't force pax to confront hawkers with perfume bottles in hand.

Boy aren't you the poster child of ugly American. Do you feel that way because the airport was missing a Five Guys? Have you been to a United lounge in the U.S.? I have been to a few with my annual free pass from Chase and they are nothing to write home about. Always packed, not hot food, etc.
By the way, I was referring to immigration lines only and nothing else. You know, the 2+ hours that most visitors have to wait in line at a U.S. point of entry. Personaly I find LIS just as clean, modern and speedy as you find ORD/SFO/DEN. They are really not any different other than the U.S. airports are significantly larger. I noticed you stayed away from mentioning JFK or DFW or some of the wonderful terminal at LAX :)

P.S. Jetbridges are cheaper but are also faster, allowing airlines, to turn an aircraft around faster and put it in the air where it makes money.

airbazar

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:05 pm

yeogeo wrote:
This foreigner visiting Portugal adds that the Star lounge is miserable, the checkin area has the charm of a barn, ...
Compare the above to SFO, DEN...

At DEN this is called a terminal concourse. Sorry, couldn't resist :)

a350lover

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:40 am

TAP arrives with this big-launch in the USA quite late, but the bet is one to consider!

Connecting to IAD and ORD seems a reasonable step forward, both airports being hubs for United which is a big partner at Star Alliance.

I am not sure who is going to be the most affected by this move. Iberia and OneWorld through the existing hub for USA in Madrid? They seemed to want to explore some further the market Spain-USA by adding the now seasonal MAD-SFO, fully establishing the MAD-LAX year round. ORD has been on the Iberia catalogue for years, and IAD was on the cards for Iberia at some point.

TAP is certainly some sort of a silent-low-cost-operator across the Atlantic. When you look at fares leaving from other EU-countries, there are some terrific low-fare connections available throughout LIS.

yeogeo
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:01 pm

airbazar wrote:
Boy aren't you the poster child of ugly American.

An "ugly American" because I disagree with your assessment of LIS?
You can insult me all you want, but as far as Lisbon airport goes, the Portuguese deserve better ... and are making halting steps to replace it (the "new Lisbon Airport project" which has started, and stopped, but hopefully will some day come to fruition), so I guess the Portuguese themselves don't think the current state of affairs at heir main airport is "not bad at all".

upperdeckfan

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:47 pm

a350lover wrote:

I am not sure who is going to be the most affected by this move. Iberia and OneWorld through the existing hub for USA in Madrid? They seemed to want to explore some further the market Spain-USA by adding the now seasonal MAD-SFO, fully establishing the MAD-LAX year round. ORD has been on the Iberia catalogue for years, and IAD was on the cards for Iberia at some point.

TAP is certainly some sort of a silent-low-cost-operator across the Atlantic. When you look at fares leaving from other EU-countries, there are some terrific low-fare connections available throughout LIS.

My guess is for TP to be able to get some of the VFR/leisure traffic from IB, especially from secondary markets w/o non stop US service such as BIO, VLC, SCQ, AGP, ALC. As you said, TP offering rock-bottom J fares they will attract this traffic.

Regarding the front of the cabin I don't think they will affect IB that much, MAD is a much larger business center than LIS and IB offers a daily link to ORD. Also OW customer base is very strong at MAD

Pyrex

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 pm

yeogeo wrote:
airbazar wrote:

You can insult me all you want, but as far as Lisbon airport goes, the Portuguese deserve better ... and are making halting steps to replace it (the "new Lisbon Airport project" which has started, and stopped, but hopefully will some day come to fruition), so I guess the Portuguese themselves don't think the current state of affairs at heir main airport is "not bad at all".

I am Portuguese and always feel incredibly frustrated every time I have to go through LIS... Very limited indeed. It's only redeeming feature is that it is very close to the city center.

vinniewinnie

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:45 pm

yeogeo wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Cause yeah the Portuguese main need is a sexy new airport! Get a life man there are more important things in life than aviation. Whether in business or in economy during flight, in a lounge or in a common waiting space, flying is and will already remain a miserable experience! No one enjoys it apart from a few AV geeks!

dfdubflyer

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:54 pm

airbazar wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
airbazar wrote:
...it's not bad at all..

Boy aren't you the poster child of ugly American. Do you feel that way because the airport was missing a Five Guys? Have you been to a United lounge in the U.S.? I have been to a few with my annual free pass from Chase and they are nothing to write home about. Always packed, not hot food, etc.
By the way, I was referring to immigration lines only and nothing else. You know, the 2+ hours that most visitors have to wait in line at a U.S. point of entry. Personaly I find LIS just as clean, modern and speedy as you find ORD/SFO/DEN. They are really not any different other than the U.S. airports are significantly larger. I noticed you stayed away from mentioning JFK or DFW or some of the wonderful terminal at LAX :)

P.S. Jetbridges are cheaper but are also faster, allowing airlines, to turn an aircraft around faster and put it in the air where it makes money.

I’m confused - why would you bring DFW into this when Terminal D is one of the nicest and most efficient places you could clear customs in the US? Furthermore I’ve never had issues at JFK T8 or T4... are you confusing LGA and JFK?

LIS is a dump and I will never transit there again after the awful immigration experience I had. I’m sorry if that’s upsetting to you but it’s one of the worst European hubs for connecting pax experience.

PS - you can assume I’m another ‘ugly american’ but I write this living in Britain and traveling the continent extensively.

yeogeo
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:03 pm

vinniewinnie wrote:
Cause yeah the Portuguese main need is a sexy new airport!

Funny, I don't recall saying that.

vinniewinnie wrote:
Get a life man there are more important things in life than aviation.

But you're here, talking abut aviation, so why do I "need a life" and you don't, I wonder.

Anyway, I'm not miserable generally when traveling by air - I find it stimulating for the most part, to be honest and its a little sad you find it miserable.

I for one look forward to returning to Portugal even if it means passing through LIS!

yeogeo
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:33 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
a350lover wrote:

I am not sure who is going to be the most affected by this move. Iberia and OneWorld through the existing hub for USA in Madrid? ...

My guess is for TP to be able to get some of the VFR/leisure traffic from IB, especially from secondary markets w/o non stop US service such as BIO, VLC, SCQ, AGP, ALC. As you said, TP offering rock-bottom J fares they will attract this traffic.

Regarding the front of the cabin I don't think they will affect IB that much, MAD is a much larger business center than LIS and IB offers a daily link to ORD. Also OW customer base is very strong at MAD

Why the Spanish-centric view of this new route? Are you unaware of the incredible buzz Portugal has at the moment in the US? (beautiful country, interesting cities, great food, reasonable prices, friendly people - what's not to like?). I don't see it as a move for connecting traffic; maybe I'm wrong, but I think they're providing seats mainly for O & D taking advantage of this wave (see Iceland right now from the US). Good for them!!

upperdeckfan

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:04 am

yeogeo wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:
a350lover wrote:

I am not sure who is going to be the most affected by this move. Iberia and OneWorld through the existing hub for USA in Madrid? ...

Why the Spanish-centric view of this new route? Are you unaware of the incredible buzz Portugal has at the moment in the US? (beautiful country, interesting cities, great food, reasonable prices, friendly people - what's not to like?). I don't see it as a move for connecting traffic; maybe I'm wrong, but I think they're providing seats mainly for O & D taking advantage of this wave (see Iceland right now from the US). Good for them!!

Take it easy buddy... I was just commenting on someone who asked whether this could affect OW hub in MAD

airbazar

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:10 pm

yeogeo wrote:
airbazar wrote:

No, because of your disparaging comments. Everything you said about LIS airport I have encountered in every single one of my flights at a U.S. airport except for the busing and perfume spraying :) - overcrowded check-in area, boarding areas with people sitting on floors due to lack of seats, dirty carpets that haven't been replaced in 30 years, lounges that aren't even worth entering, disgusting bathrooms, 2+ hour immigration lines, etc).
My family is spread out across 3 different European countries (including Portugal) and my annual visits often takes me thru LIS. Like I said above I have found the airport very congested at times but it is nothing that I'm not used to seeing here in the U.S. on a regular basis.
yeogeo wrote:

Believe it or not, more than 50% of TP's passengers are connecting passengers despite the airport being such a dump as some people suggest. Without the connecting passengers TP would have half the airline it is today and none of these U.S. routes would be viable, regardless of how wonderful you may think Portugal is.

upperdeckfan

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:09 pm

LIS is really subpar when compared with other European gateways.

As a side note, I'm posting from nice TP lounge at LIS, on a 7 hour layover after missing a connection this morning. Plenty of time to tour the facility

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos