kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9519
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Good evening folks ... another month and nearly another year come to a close! Here's a look back at November:
- Flybe and Wow in the wars. Knights in shining armour (and quite a bit of cash) sought.
- UAL to operate 787-10 to DUB next Summer; EY to add 4 weekly 787-9s.
- Norwegian reduces SNN and DUB to SWF
- EI looking to replace A330-200s with more A330-300s. Also looking at A321Neo XLR.
- Cityjet to replace Hop on ORK-CDG
- More records being broken at DUB; 30m mark likely to be passed later this month
- Honeyed wards: DAA selling honey at DUB.
- Commission for Aviation Regulation published proposals for growth at DUB, including new piers, new development west of 16/34 and tunnel under 16/34
- UFO alert!
- Westjet drops St. John, but adds Halifax

Here's the link to the last thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1407435&start=200

Enjoy!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Passenger record lifts Knock profits

Pre-tax profits at the firm behind Knock Ireland West Airport last year almost tripled to €1.67m after the airport enjoyed its busiest year on record.

Passenger numbers reached 750,000 for the first time in the airport's history and this contributed to revenues at Connaught Airport Development Company Ltd increasing by 4pc from €12.63m to €13.12m.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/passe ... 67536.html
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:23 pm

 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4477
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 pm

"Aer Lingus chief says staff stealing 'many millions of euro' from customers and colleagues"

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-chief-says-staff-stealing-many-millions-of-euro-from-customers-and-colleagues-37585746.html

"Guest [passenger] property and company stock losses "remain at levels significantly above the industry norms despite investment in new technologies and inventory management processes", said Mr Rutter."

Who knew there was a cohort of thieves within Aer Lingus? That doesn't look good now, does it!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:35 am

Slattery in holding pattern as Boeing circles Embraer

The high-flying aircraft firm's boss is happy with an uncertain future, writes Fearghal O'Connor

John Slattery - the Co Clare-born boss of the commercial aviation arm of Brazilian aircraft manufacturer Embraer - says that he stands at "a moment of inflection" in a career that has been on a constant upward trajectory.

Slattery was in Dublin last Friday to conclude a 200-day 68-city world tour with Embraer's new super-efficient Embraer E190-E2 passenger jet, the development of which he has led from scratch for the last seven-and-a-half years.

www.independent.ie/business/slattery-in ... 85611.html
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1764
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Ryanair add DUB-Dubrovnik and Split. Both 2 weekly from June.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryan ... nik-split/
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 am

Missing Aer Lingus stock may have been damaged and not stolen, says Siptu

The country's biggest union has disputed claims that Aer Lingus staff stole millions of euro of goods from the airline, customers and colleagues.

Siptu said a recent memo from chief operating officer Mike Rutter that said millions had been lost due to missing stock did not mean staff had stolen it.
It is understood that police and federal law enforcement authorities in the US were called in to investigate a number of "serious issues" in recent months.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/mis ... 92538.html
 
Skytrax
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:48 pm

OA260 wrote:
Missing Aer Lingus stock may have been damaged and not stolen, says Siptu

The country's biggest union has disputed claims that Aer Lingus staff stole millions of euro of goods from the airline, customers and colleagues.

Siptu said a recent memo from chief operating officer Mike Rutter that said millions had been lost due to missing stock did not mean staff had stolen it.
It is understood that police and federal law enforcement authorities in the US were called in to investigate a number of "serious issues" in recent months.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/mis ... 92538.html



Im very curious to know what they mean by "Stock". Seems like a lot of stuff (millions) to go missing without being very obvious.
 
S0Y
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 pm

Passed through SNN recently. Have to say that Michael Kellys model aircraft display is quite something. Fantastic exhibit and would recommend anyone who gets the chance to swing by and take a look. Well worth it.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Roscommon Co Council, Kerry Airport on defaulters list

Meanwhile, Kerry Airport in Farranfore was fined €2,500 for the mis-use of marked mineral oil.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1204/1015 ... ters-list/
 
bhxdtw
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 am

Any updates on that UFO over the west coast... I heard the ATC recordings and it sounded very interesting. Was it a United and Speedbird or Aer Lingus that was stating they saw it ?
 
Phen
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:57 am

bhxdtw wrote:
Any updates on that UFO over the west coast... I heard the ATC recordings and it sounded very interesting. Was it a United and Speedbird or Aer Lingus that was stating they saw it ?

I didn’t hear anything since but it was Speedbird, Virgin and Norwegian who all said they saw it.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9519
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:52 am

I thought this was established to be a shooting star?

The British CAA is taking action against FR in relation to compensation due to UK-based pax. Hopefully (and I'm not holding my breath) the IAA will follow suit, if the same thing has happened here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1409991
 
dstc47
Posts: 1384
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Any word concerning the row about future passenger air access to the Aran Islands?

I understand that the deadline was Dec 10, if so, everyone seems to be very relaxed about it.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Flights to Aran Islands to continue as agreement reached
Owner of Aer Arann Islands had offered to sell it to local communities for sum of €1

Flights to the Aran Islands will continue as scheduled in the short term after an agreement was reached between the Department of the Gaeltacht and the Islands and Aer Arann Islands.

The agreement sets out a process under which negotiations for the State to buy Connemara Airport can begin.

The contract under which the airport is made available for the provision of the air service has been extended until September 2021 while Aer Arann Islands has agreed to continue providing the service until December 20th.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-n ... 0?mode=amp
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Tunisair add scheduled charter Monastir - Dublin for S19 with A319 on Thursdays
13JUN - 26SEP

TU8226 MIR 1735 DUB 2100
TU8227 DUB 2200 MIR 0130+

Per routesonline.com
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:13 am

Airbus proposal for Galway Airport still grounded

The failure of County and City Council officials to meet with a ‘large multinational company’ interested in leasing Galway Airport was raised again at a meeting of Galway County Council.

Cllr James Charity (Ind) said he had first raised the issue in April and despite an initial meeting between the parties, the lines of communication have since gone cold.

https://connachttribune.ie/airbus-propo ... unded-800/
 
stratocruiser
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 pm

OA260 wrote:
Airbus proposal for Galway Airport still grounded

The failure of County and City Council officials to meet with a ‘large multinational company’ interested in leasing Galway Airport was raised again at a meeting of Galway County Council.


Why would Airbus want to take a lease on Galway Airport?
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 am

stratocruiser wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Airbus proposal for Galway Airport still grounded

The failure of County and City Council officials to meet with a ‘large multinational company’ interested in leasing Galway Airport was raised again at a meeting of Galway County Council.


Why would Airbus want to take a lease on Galway Airport?


The article says they were looking at renting the hangars. Airbus use a good few quiet airports around Europe to store planes.
 
dstc47
Posts: 1384
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:33 am

IIRC there is only two small hangars at Galway which would not accommodate an A318.
A damp environment close to the sea is not an ideal spot for aircraft storage either.
 
stratocruiser
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:12 am

In addition, the Galway runway length seems a bit borderline even for Airbus narrowbodies but I guess they might manage it lightly loaded.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 am

Avolon signs $11.5 billion deal for 100 Airbus planes

Dublin-based aircraft leasing company Avolon has signed a deal to buy 100 new Airbus planes with a list price of $11.5 billion.

The Avolon order consists of 75 A320neo jets and 25 of the larger A321neos.

The new planes will be delivered between 2023 and 2026.

Today's deal means that Avolon is now Airbus's largest aircraft lessor backlog customer.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1207/1015 ... bus-order/
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 am

Busiest November ever at Dublin Airport. On target to hit over 31M pax in 2019

Almost 2.3 million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport last month, making it the busiest November in the airport’s history. Passenger numbers were up 7% during the month.

Passenger volumes travelling to and from continental Europe grew by 8%, with almost 1.1 million people travelling to European destinations during the month.

UK traffic grew by 2% as almost 848,000 passengers travelled to and from UK destinations in November.

Transatlantic volumes increased by 15%, with more than 275,000 passengers travelling to and from North America during the month.

Other international passenger traffic, which includes flights to the Middle East, north Africa and the Asia Pacific region grew by 13%, with more than 72,000 passengers travelling on these route sectors in November.

Passenger numbers on domestic flights rose by 47%, with almost 10,000 passengers travelling on domestic routes during the month.

Dublin Airport has welcomed over 29.2 million passengers in the first 11 months of the year, which is a 6% increase over the same period last year. More than 1.8 million extra passengers have travelled through the airport between January and November.

Almost 1.7 million passengers chose Dublin Airport as a hub to connect to another destination so far this year, which is an 18% increase compared to the first 11 months of last year.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... in-airport
 
S0Y
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:27 pm

It appears Stephen K has made a statement walking back Mike Rutters allegations of employee theft from last week.
Seriously this is no way to run a business. If there was evidence of wrongdoing, those responsible should have been dealt with internally. No idea what Rutter was thinking by going to the media.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4477
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 pm

The A321NEO routes for Aer Lingus have been announced on Flight Global, some of which we know.

Minneapolis and Hardford from July and Montreal from August.

First aircraft is due "well ahead of July" and will be used on European routes before switching to transatlantic.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Aer Lingus apologises to staff following claims they stole millions of euro worth of goods

Aer Lingus has apologised to staff following claims they stole millions of euro worth of goods from the airline, customers and colleagues.

The airline has agreed to make a donation of €25,000 to charity on behalf of staff after a meeting with its group of unions yesterday.

Chief Executive, Stephen Kavanagh, and his senior executive team made a sincere apology and expressed their regret for the hurt and upset caused.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-l ... 04322.html
 
Ticketyboo
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus apologises to staff following claims they stole millions of euro worth of goods

Aer Lingus has apologised to staff following claims they stole millions of euro worth of goods from the airline, customers and colleagues.

The airline has agreed to make a donation of €25,000 to charity on behalf of staff after a meeting with its group of unions yesterday.

Chief Executive, Stephen Kavanagh, and his senior executive team made a sincere apology and expressed their regret for the hurt and upset caused.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 04322.html


Well, if nothing else this is the evidence that it's not just their passengers that EI treat with contempt - it's actually everyone.
This should be a resigning matter for Kavanagh and if the airline gets away with a €25k charitable donation then he's been very lucky. This is sure to come back and bite them.
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
...
This should be a resigning matter for Kavanagh ...


Why do you believe the CEO should resign for a comment in a memo sent by the COO? Did Kavanagh endorse or approve the memo?

Looks like everyone wants to put it behind them and move on, incredible that the COO would accuse staff like that in the first place, can't do much for the relationship or morale.

Article
Irish Examiner wrote:
Fórsa official Ashley Connolly said that the staff wanted to move on from the damaging episode.
“We welcome and accept management’s apology on behalf of the Aer Lingus staff we represent, and we welcome the company’s decision to donate €25,000 to Focus Ireland and Pieta House – organisations whose work Fórsa respects and supports – on behalf of staff,” she said.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5104
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Isn’t Mike Rutter, the COO, leaving Aer Lingus along with Kavanagh next year? I’m sure I heard he was but it could also be wishful thinking on my part.

While I’m sure he’s perfectly qualified for the job, his arrogance and communication skills get in the way. I have a lot of sympathy for anyone at Aer Lingus who has had to watch one of his internal memos, he speaks down the camera like a headteacher telling off his students. It’s painful to watch so I can only imagine what it’s like to be in the same room as him during these announcements.

Stephen Kavanagh comes across far more reasonable and while he lacks the charisma of Mueller, he’s very capable and has done a decent job over the past few years. It doesn’t surprise me that he’s the one to apologise while Rutter stays silent.
 
KeevaOS
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Isn’t Mike Rutter, the COO, leaving Aer Lingus along with Kavanagh next year? I’m sure I heard he was but it could also be wishful thinking on my part.

While I’m sure he’s perfectly qualified for the job, his arrogance and communication skills get in the way. I have a lot of sympathy for anyone at Aer Lingus who has had to watch one of his internal memos, he speaks down the camera like a headteacher telling off his students. It’s painful to watch so I can only imagine what it’s like to be in the same room as him during these announcements.

Stephen Kavanagh comes across far more reasonable and while he lacks the charisma of Mueller, he’s very capable and has done a decent job over the past few years. It doesn’t surprise me that he’s the one to apologise while Rutter stays silent.



From what I have read Stephen Kavanagh is leaving yes, and being replaced by Sean Doyle but Mike Rutter just extended is contract

"(...) IAG also said Mike Rutter, chief operating officer of Aer Lingus, has extended his contract with the airline. (...)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 75298.html

Hopefully the new CEO brings news and different plans to the airline too including looking at other markets different from the US/Canada
 
scorpo
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know what gates SK usually arrive at / depart from in DUB? Or do they use different gates day to day? Trying to plan how much time I'll need to give myself to get from the T1 lounge. If the old B pier, no problem, but need a bit of extra time for the others.
Thanks.
 
eicvd
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 pm

[threeid]iuj[/threeid]
scorpo wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know what gates SK usually arrive at / depart from in DUB? Or do they use different gates day to day? Trying to plan how much time I'll need to give myself to get from the T1 lounge. If the old B pier, no problem, but need a bit of extra time for the others.
Thanks.

Always the 100 gates
COYBIB
 
eicvd
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:48 am

Persistent rumours of Easyjet annoucing LGW-DUB on other sites. There was some confusion as they’ve recently announced DUS but apparently they’ve applied for DUB & DUS so you’d expect we’ll hear more next. Personally think they will do well.
COYBIB
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9519
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:44 am

Would love to see it happen; fares on that route could really do with coming down. Interesting to see what FR's response would be (mental image of USS Ohio's gun turrets turning around!)
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:16 am

eicvd wrote:
Persistent rumours of Easyjet annoucing LGW-DUB on other sites. There was some confusion as they’ve recently announced DUS but apparently they’ve applied for DUB & DUS so you’d expect we’ll hear more next. Personally think they will do well.


Fantastic news if true, never liked that FR ran them out of town. A much nicer product and better service than many carriers out there. Would love to see them at other Irish airports.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:36 am

[threeid][/threeid]
VFRonTop wrote:
eicvd wrote:
Persistent rumours of Easyjet annoucing LGW-DUB on other sites. There was some confusion as they’ve recently announced DUS but apparently they’ve applied for DUB & DUS so you’d expect we’ll hear more next. Personally think they will do well.


Fantastic news if true, never liked that FR ran them out of town. A much nicer product and better service than many carriers out there. Would love to see them at other Irish airports.


I suspect EasyJet won’t be competing with FR - they’ll be competing with Aer Lingus on the LGW -DUB route. And EI will be fine now that they’re offering so many connections .

Personally I’ve never understood EasyJet’s model ... a sort of pay-as-you-go let’s pretend it’s British Airways with really poor time keeping

Competition is great and I look forward to the cheaper fares but I’ll be sticking with FR personally
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:49 am

I flew Easyjet for the first time last year. They were ok pretty standard LCC experience nothing amazing. Fares were good though. LGW fares have certainly gone up and Im a regular on that route. Flights are always busy though and the EI A321 I was on last week was packed.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Galwayman wrote:
I suspect EasyJet won’t be competing with FR - they’ll be competing with Aer Lingus on the LGW -DUB route. And EI will be fine now that they’re offering so many connections .

Personally I’ve never understood EasyJet’s model ... a sort of pay-as-you-go let’s pretend it’s British Airways with really poor time keeping

Competition is great and I look forward to the cheaper fares but I’ll be sticking with FR personally


FR already operate to LGW, 8 times daily to Dublin, daily to Cork and Shannon. I don't think there is any evidence that easyJet is pretending to be BA but with significantly worse time keeping (EI, BA and U2 have roughly similar 75-80% OTP, FR calms 85%+). easyJet have some very nice products, like hands-free which allows check-in of cabin baggage for £5 (FR's version is £8) and easyJet+. They are the only European airline that I know of who have built loyalty around a subscription product. In many ways airlines like FR and BA have followed with versions of their own.
 
Ticketyboo
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:07 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
...
This should be a resigning matter for Kavanagh ...


Why do you believe the CEO should resign for a comment in a memo sent by the COO? Did Kavanagh endorse or approve the memo?

Looks like everyone wants to put it behind them and move on, incredible that the COO would accuse staff like that in the first place, can't do much for the relationship or morale.

Article
Irish Examiner wrote:
Fórsa official Ashley Connolly said that the staff wanted to move on from the damaging episode.
“We welcome and accept management’s apology on behalf of the Aer Lingus staff we represent, and we welcome the company’s decision to donate €25,000 to Focus Ireland and Pieta House – organisations whose work Fórsa respects and supports – on behalf of staff,” she said.



Really rather simple; this type of 'announcement' made by a senior executive is not one decided in a vacuum, neither would the subject of alleged theft on such a scale not reach the desk of the CEO for resolution. Even if the remarks made by the COO were not previously endorsed by the CEO then it shows that the CEO is inept in the management of his core team. The airline is in a sorry state, of my 62 flights with them this year fewer than 10 can be described as being 'reasonable' and that is a direct reflection of the abilities of Management to create a customer-centric environment - which CEO & COO (with others) own.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:11 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
I suspect EasyJet won’t be competing with FR - they’ll be competing with Aer Lingus on the LGW -DUB route. And EI will be fine now that they’re offering so many connections .

Personally I’ve never understood EasyJet’s model ... a sort of pay-as-you-go let’s pretend it’s British Airways with really poor time keeping

Competition is great and I look forward to the cheaper fares but I’ll be sticking with FR personally


FR already operate to LGW, 8 times daily to Dublin, daily to Cork and Shannon. I don't think there is any evidence that easyJet is pretending to be BA but with significantly worse time keeping (EI, BA and U2 have roughly similar 75-80% OTP, FR calms 85%+). easyJet have some very nice products, like hands-free which allows check-in of cabin baggage for £5 (FR's version is £8) and easyJet+. They are the only European airline that I know of who have built loyalty around a subscription product. In many ways airlines like FR and BA have followed with versions of their own.


Worse than EasyJet’s time keeling is their lack of on board storage ... those overhead bins are tiny , I suspect the reason their time keeping is so bad is the problem with the overhead cabins
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2017
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
VFRonTop wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
...
This should be a resigning matter for Kavanagh ...


Why do you believe the CEO should resign for a comment in a memo sent by the COO? Did Kavanagh endorse or approve the memo?

Looks like everyone wants to put it behind them and move on, incredible that the COO would accuse staff like that in the first place, can't do much for the relationship or morale.

Article
Irish Examiner wrote:
Fórsa official Ashley Connolly said that the staff wanted to move on from the damaging episode.
“We welcome and accept management’s apology on behalf of the Aer Lingus staff we represent, and we welcome the company’s decision to donate €25,000 to Focus Ireland and Pieta House – organisations whose work Fórsa respects and supports – on behalf of staff,” she said.



Really rather simple; this type of 'announcement' made by a senior executive is not one decided in a vacuum, neither would the subject of alleged theft on such a scale not reach the desk of the CEO for resolution. Even if the remarks made by the COO were not previously endorsed by the CEO then it shows that the CEO is inept in the management of his core team. The airline is in a sorry state, of my 62 flights with them this year fewer than 10 can be described as being 'reasonable' and that is a direct reflection of the abilities of Management to create a customer-centric environment - which CEO & COO (with others) own.

I've had nine EI flights in the last 12 months and I must say I find them very consistent. Though nothing exceptional, all flights were punctual, crew were professional and engaging and bags swiftly delivered where applicable.
 
scorpo
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:19 am

Always the 100 gates[/quote]


Many Thanks for this.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22924
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 am

Fearghal O'Connor: 'Aer Lingus carrot-and-stick approach pushes a little too far'

When Aer Lingus reveals its new livery in the New Year, staff at the airline might not be too surprised if the famous shamrock is replaced by a carrot and a very big stick.

In recent weeks and months the airline's management team has used both approaches to drive the type of productivity changes it wants to match to the strong growth the former national airline is currently experiencing.
That growth will not have been a surprise to IAG. It always knew that buying Aer Lingus for €1.5bn was a bargain that could help it mitigate against the inability of the British government to build a new runway at London Heathrow. The biggest loser from that interminable runway delay has been IAG's biggest beast, British Airways, but buying Aer Lingus and using it increasingly as a way to ferry passengers from the UK regions to north America is becoming a very effective Plan B.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 07682.html
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9519
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 am

I have always found Easyjet quite good. They could really drive down fares on LGW-DUB, especially if they used their A321Neos.

On that point, I'm very surprised that FR has still not committed to the 737 Max 10, especially given that its two major competitors, Wizz and Easy, have both acquired the A321Neo.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4477
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 am

OA260 wrote:
https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/fearghal-oconnor-aer-lingus-carrotandstick-approach-pushes-a-little-too-far-37607682.html


It's the end that gets me, where they say the rumour is that the famous green will be replaced by a much whiter scheme.

Time will tell... but white and Aer Lingus - yuck!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
Phen
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:52 am

ClassicLover wrote:
It's the end that gets me, where they say the rumour is that the famous green will be replaced by a much whiter scheme.

I've heard from different sources that this will indeed be the case - green tail and engines. Everything else white. :(
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8083
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:02 pm

Let’s not diss the livery before it arrives. No doubt everyone here will hate it, just like every other logo that’s revealed. Then it will grow on us and we will love it.

Delta
American
Cathay

Come to mind immediately.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
User avatar
RRTrent
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 pm

BestWestern wrote:
Let’s not diss the livery before it arrives. No doubt everyone here will hate it, just like every other logo that’s revealed. Just like the current livery. Then it will grow on us and we will love it and moan in 15 years when it is replaced.

Delta
American
Cathay

Come to mind immediately.


Haha! I loved all three immediately... Hopefully EI do themselves justice.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2017
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Phen wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
It's the end that gets me, where they say the rumour is that the famous green will be replaced by a much whiter scheme.

I've heard from different sources that this will indeed be the case - green tail and engines. Everything else white. :(

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll be seeing some sort of a "Eurowhite" scheme with possible billboard-style Aer Lingus titles. That seems to be the trend in airline liveries at the moment.

I also agree that whatever it is likely won't go down well with us on here (initially anyway) :D
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9519
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 12/18: December Dreaming ...

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Don't knock white; it won't necessarily be cheap or nasty with white. Look at Swiss, for example - acres of white, but they keep their aircraft clean and even though the Swiss livery is incredibly simple (two colours), it's also very classy. Laudamotion is another that comes to mind. Personally, I do hope it's not another eurowhite, but I guess if we're all expecting something like that, what emerges may well surprise us pleasantly.

I think EI recognises that a livery change is a one in 20-25 year thing for the airline. A bland, unimaginative livery might save money, but would affect the aircraft negatively in other ways, from staff morale to public perception - i.e. "is this really the best they can do, and if it is, what does this say about it's overall vision" and "this is an airline that has very little imaginating beyond the bottom line".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos