Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Asturias
Topic Author

Icelandair fancy landing @LHR [video]

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:35 pm

These guys sure know how to fly'em, a beautiful 767 landing in heavy crosswinds, this is what aviation is all about :cloudnine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpvA9zDjtE
Tonight we fly

RJNUT

Re: Icelandair fancy landing @LHR [video]

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 pm

good thing is wasn't an MD11 on that landing bounce!

deebee278

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Personally, I could have done without the running commentary, calm down. Go to YouTube and search for 'crosswind landing, KaiTak'. I agree with the MD11 comment.

Asturias
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:32 pm

deebee278 wrote:
Personally, I could have done without the running commentary, calm down. Go to YouTube and search for 'crosswind landing, KaiTak'. I agree with the MD11 comment.

Can't do much about the commentary, it's not my video. Perhaps you can lower the volume? Kai Tak is long gone. Many fancy landings there in the past, but no new videos, so no point in posting them.
Tonight we fly

SRQKEF

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 pm

Just your average Sunday afternoon in KEF! ;)

Beautifully flown though in all seriousness.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

OzarkD9S

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:39 am

My favorite part was the seagull in the foreground. It seemed to be having a similar experience.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Cunard

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:45 am

deebee278 wrote:

The video on YouTube was uploaded by Big Jet TV.

Those guys that run that channel are absolutely annoying with their loud and unnecessary commentary and to be honest their video footage isn't that great either, I tend to turn the volume down if I ever view their videos.

They add commentary is if they are a roving 24 hour news channel, I don't take them seriously at all as find their commentary really awful and very unprofessional.

Nonetheless the video of the landing was cool although it's not as if it's unique in anyway.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

32andBelow

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:09 am

He freaking bounced bruh

LAX772LR

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:37 am

Sorta surprised he didn't go around, even with it being LHR.

Loved it. The douche at the end is a bit of a downer, but otherwise fantastic video.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Ruscoe

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:56 am

Rather than a bounce, I think he was a few knots fast, which under the circumstances was probably a good idea. I'd say he got a gust of wind, while the aircraft was still at flying speed, and he handled it well.
Also remember Boeing has been to Iceland do do x wind testing so these guys probably have a lot of practice.

Ruscoe

Armodeen

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:16 pm

deebee278 wrote:

Annoying commentary indeed!

He's outside the renaissance hotel. It's where we usually stay when near Heathrow, you can't beat it for runway views!

RobK

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:39 pm

What the heck was that commentary? He sounded like he was about to have an orgasm for what is a completely normal landing on a blustery day. What am I missing here? Looks like another clickbait view whoring attempt that are becoming commonplace on here and something that a member of 12 years should not be doing imo. Tempted to flag for deletion.

Cunard

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 pm

The video was uploaded by Big Jet TV which is run by two guys from the UK, they have lots of aviation videos on their YouTube channel and all with equally annoying commentary but the guy who is doing the commentary is without doubt the worst of the two.

Some of their video footage is ok and some is totally awful which is generally the case, if you want to view an absolutely ridiculously amateurish video with the most awful and unprofessional commentary view their Emirates inaugural flight into Stansted its totally pathetic and painful to watch let alone listen to.

They both come across as two overly excited late thirty somethings who have both just got into aviation at a later age in life.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

MSPSXMFLIER

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:15 am

Agreed that it would be much nicer to have that guy just shut up and let the events and natural sounds speak for themselves.

djvalume

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:34 am

32andBelow wrote:
He freaking bounced bruh

Yep, tried to grease it at too much speed/energy. Seems to have missed the TDZ as well...

crownvic

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:42 am

Big Jet TV is a subscription based site and has been around just over a year founded by 2 British aviation enthusiasts . It is now down to just one guy running the show named Jerry.. Johnny the other founder left for greener pastures. They stream live twice a week with a 2 hour show usually from LHR LGW and MAN on Wednesdays and Saturdays, plus they do specialty live shows several times a month too. ... the over the top enthusiasm is because it is a live stream and Jerry really gets into it. Quite entertaining..

prebennorholm

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:01 am

djvalume wrote:
Yep, tried to grease it at too much speed/energy. Seems to have missed the TDZ as well...

Yeah, he was fast. Strong wind, strong turbulence, that spells risk of windshear. You fight windshear by adding some knots to the approach speed.

That makes the flare a little challenging, but he did a good job. He did exactly what we passengers pay him to do.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Cunard

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:44 am

crownvic wrote:
Big Jet TV is a subscription based site and has been around just over a year founded by 2 British aviation enthusiasts . It is now down to just one guy running the show named Jerry.. Johnny the other founder left for greener pastures. They stream live twice a week with a 2 hour show usually from LHR LGW and MAN on Wednesdays and Saturdays, plus they do specialty live shows several times a month too. ... the over the top enthusiasm is because it is a live stream and Jerry really gets into it. Quite entertaining..

It's definitely NOT entertaining it's absolutely hideous!

No wonder Johnny left for 'greener pastures' he probably couldn't stand listening to hyperactive Jerry any longer :-)

Although Big Jet TV might be a subscription based site their videos are easily available on YouTube without having to pay to view them, but why anyone would actually pay to view their amateurish footage is totally beyond me.

The only time that I've viewed their videos online is through links provided by others on aviation sites such as a.net and definitely not by choice.

I'm afraid Jerry needs to calm down when he's doing his commentary as he is well over the top regardless of the fact that it's live stream footage.

The first time I ever viewed any of their videos on YouTube was a link from the Stansted Airport website and honestly that footage of the inaugural Emirates flight to Stansted was absolutely excruciatingly painful to watch let alone listen to.

Anyway I guess each to their own so if you and others like you find their footage 'quite entertaining' well fair play as personally I don't!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos