sargester
Topic Author

NYC to PEI (YYG)

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:44 pm

I recently saw over the weekend in the latest edition of the AA in-flight magazine destination map that there was dot on Prince Edward Island, I followed up with this with the AA social media team and they were not aware of this and said that they were not starting service and said it was a typo... My question being is that, is summer service to PEI possible (if I remember correctly DL served it from LGA) and has there been any other carrier to serve this airport from NYC, I'm not too familiar with the Newfoundland/ Nova Scotia market, seems like a popular destination for the summer (similar to a PWM or the Mass Islands)

Thanks lads, thoughts appreciated

crescent

Re: NYC to PEI (YYG)

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:12 am

Not on this map, which the aa.com site links to: http://aa.fltmaps.com/en That dot is clearly part of the WS partnership, but there should be tons of other dots then north of the border.

MIflyer12

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:17 am

There aren't lots of Americans going to PEI. According to Provincial statistics Americans represented about 8% of overnight visitor stays (fewer than 100K) YTD 3Q2018. That's overnights - so counting some visitors more than once. By comparison, Acadia National park in Maine got 3.5 million visitors in 2017.

https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/sites ... cators.pdf

intelijet

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:40 am

May be refering to Pereira, Colombia (PEI),starting Dec 20.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

EvanWSFO

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 am

intelijet wrote:

The airport code for Charlottetown, PEI is in the title. Doubt there is that confusion.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

UpNAWAy

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:15 am

I like Gulf oysters better than PEI oysters and anyway.

sargester
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:16 am

file:///C:/Users/The%20Flying%20Jim/Dropbox/IMG_3909.JPG If it doesn't come up ill link my tweet to AAs social media team

drdisque

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:27 am

You can't hotlink to a file on your computer.

If DL ever flew NYC-Charlottetown it would have had to been from JFK as LGA doesn't have immigration and Charlottetown obviously doesn't have Preclearance.

sargester
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:43 am

drdisque wrote:
You can't hotlink to a file on your computer.

If DL ever flew NYC-Charlottetown it would have had to been from JFK as LGA doesn't have immigration and Charlottetown obviously doesn't have Preclearance.

https://twitter.com/HockeyFan9151/statu ... 5246479360

GuillaumePhilly

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:56 am

intelijet wrote:

I can totally see that mistake happening. Some junior graphic designer got an email telling him to add a dot for PEI to the route map and... well Prince Edward Island now has AA service. *facepalm*

asuflyer

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:02 am

DL used to fly to Charlottetown in the summer from JFK. I believe the service was flown from 2010-2015, with a CRJ, CR7, and CR9 at the end. They also flew from BOS with a CRJ at one point.

spinkid

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:35 am

Its a pretty glaring error. I tried doing a dummy booking on their web site and you just get an error message. They don't even have any kind of partner or interline agreement to get you there.

Dominion301

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:33 pm

asuflyer wrote:
DL used to fly to Charlottetown in the summer from JFK. I believe the service was flown from 2010-2015, with a CRJ, CR7, and CR9 at the end. They also flew from BOS with a CRJ at one point.

NW also flew YYG-DTW on a CRJ for a few summers before DL's services: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-e ... d-1.560668

Way, way, way back when, I'm pretty sure NW Airlink also operated YYG-BOS.

sw733

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
There aren't lots of Americans going to PEI. According to Provincial statistics Americans represented about 8% of overnight visitor stays (fewer than 100K) YTD 3Q2018. That's overnights - so counting some visitors more than once. By comparison, Acadia National park in Maine got 3.5 million visitors in 2017.

https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/sites ... cators.pdf

There are probably a decent number of Americans going to PEI but not spending the night...a lot of New England/Canada cruises stop in PEI for the day. Of course, nothing related to air travel or overnight stays, but that at least adds tens of thousands of day travelers each year to PEI's number, many of which are likely Americans.

Skywatcher

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:44 pm

I've been to PEI twice. Overwhelmingly Canadians from other provinces and a notable number of Asians visiting there. Hardly any Americans-is that a good thing or a bad thing (it's a joke people!)?

spinotter

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
asuflyer wrote:

NW also flew YYG-DTW on a CRJ for a few summers before DL's services: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-e ... d-1.560668

Way, way, way back when, I'm pretty sure NW Airlink also operated YYG-BOS.

Yes, they did. Back in the 80's or 90's I was booked on what I believe was a nonstop BOS-YYG on Northwest Airlink Business Express. The flight was overbooked and we got a free round-trip on NW by taking a one-stop BOS-YQM-YYG the next day.

MIflyer12

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
I've been to PEI twice. Overwhelmingly Canadians from other provinces and a notable number of Asians visiting there. Hardly any Americans-is that a good thing or a bad thing (it's a joke people!)?

If you reviewed the link I gave you would find that, in terms of overnight visitors, Americans outnumbered all other international visitors combined -- by more than 2 to 1.

klakzky123

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Skywatcher wrote:

Anne of Green Gables still has a cult following in Japan so the Japanese tourism isn't surprising at all. In the US, newer generations barely know that those books exist. But I feel like no one in the US knows about PEI unless they are familiar with Anne of Green Gables.

EChid

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:06 pm

GuillaumePhilly wrote:
intelijet wrote:

I can totally see that mistake happening. Some junior graphic designer got an email telling him to add a dot for PEI to the route map and... well Prince Edward Island now has AA service. *facepalm*

I can absolutely see this too.

The Westjet partnership doesn't make sense as an explanation - since that has been massively reduced (given WS' partnership with Delta).
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

B0pp0

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Didn't AC run YYG-BOS for a summer ca. 2014? I remember PEI doing a big tourism push in the Boston market at that time.

Dominion301

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:57 pm

B0pp0 wrote:
Didn't AC run YYG-BOS for a summer ca. 2014? I remember PEI doing a big tourism push in the Boston market at that time.

AC's never had a transborder route out of YYG. The only destinations they serve are YHZ, YUL, YYZ and summer-seasonally YOW. I do remember one summer they had a Dash 8 go YQB-YGR-YGP-YYG (Quebec-Gaspé-Iles-de-la-Madeleine-Charlottetown). I guess that was to compete with the ferry boat.

Until the late 90s, one of AC's daily YHZ-BOS flights would stop in Yarmouth on a Dash 8...in the 80s it was on a DC-9! I believe AC stopped serving Yarmouth in 2003 after the 'no destinations cut for 3 years' post-CP merger promise expired.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos