Jshank83

Re: Alaska maps out airport expansion at West Coast bases

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 am

SANFan wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
I think this is part of the reason for that. Also, more E175s are based at SAN and more 737s are based at PDX, which makes for easier/more efficient aircraft utilization. If there was enough demand for a 737 on PDX-STL, they would have very likely kept it. With that being said though, Southwest's PDX-STL route is on a 737, and it seems to be doing just fine.

I want to mention a couple of things. SAN ops are currently very evenly split between mainline and EMJs. Early next year, it looks like the scales will tilt a bit toward mainline service due to a/c upgrades on several routes. (Subject to any additional new routes that may start.) However, I'm sure PDX has more of both types of equipment than SAN.

Also, of possible interest to this STL discussion, WN has been offering double-daily SAN-STL since January 2018. I have no idea how AS is doing with their (1x daily EMJ) SAN-STL flight but WN is certainly applying pressure on this route (as well as most others on which both cx compete.) AS has offered their service in the market for a year now -- coincidentally, since the time WN went daily-double! -- and who knows, maybe SAN-STL will also see an upgrade in equip soon.

bb

I don't think it will get an upgrade for awhile. It started pretty slow. It is doing better and June/July were in the high 80 LFs but a lot of months in the mid 70s. It isn't running on Tuesdays in January. We'll see what happens.

tphuang

Re: Alaska maps out airport expansion at West Coast bases

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
I think this is part of the reason for that. Also, more E175s are based at SAN and more 737s are based at PDX, which makes for easier/more efficient aircraft utilization. If there was enough demand for a 737 on PDX-STL, they would have very likely kept it. With that being said though, Southwest's PDX-STL route is on a 737, and it seems to be doing just fine.

I want to mention a couple of things. SAN ops are currently very evenly split between mainline and EMJs. Early next year, it looks like the scales will tilt a bit toward mainline service due to a/c upgrades on several routes. (Subject to any additional new routes that may start.) However, I'm sure PDX has more of both types of equipment than SAN.

Also, of possible interest to this STL discussion, WN has been offering double-daily SAN-STL since January 2018. I have no idea how AS is doing with their (1x daily EMJ) SAN-STL flight but WN is certainly applying pressure on this route (as well as most others on which both cx compete.) AS has offered their service in the market for a year now -- coincidentally, since the time WN went daily-double! -- and who knows, maybe SAN-STL will also see an upgrade in equip soon.

bb

I don't think it will get an upgrade for awhile. It started pretty slow. It is doing better and June/July were in the high 80 LFs but a lot of months in the mid 70s. It isn't running on Tuesdays in January. We'll see what happens.

considering that AS has been operating SAN-STL on 76 seaters, the numbers are really terrible. It's kind of what you expect for AS going into WN fortress hubs. BWI and DAL are similarly tough routes. I don't understand why people would expect things to be different.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos