ghdc10
Topic Author

Ethiopian Airlines to launch Ghana airline!

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Ghana has selected Ethiopian Airlines as a partner in the launch of the new national airline project. Ghanaian government will own 10% or less of the venture which will commence flights in 2019.
https://www.myjoyonline.com/business/2018/december-5th/ethiopia-airlines-selected-to-partner-govt-for-ghanas-home-based-carrier.php

This is an exciting development for a growing travel market in Accra. Recently, ET rerouted their LAX flight through Lome which is 105 miles away from Accra. I cannot see Ethiopian choosing to keep both EWR and LAX flights routed through Lome when there would be exponentially more O&D market in Accra, let alone the possibility of using multiple daily frequencies to Lagos and Abuja from Accra to create excellent connections for feeder traffic.

I hope they spare everyone the inconvenience of using an awful name like Ethiopian-Mozambique-Airlines. (must sound better in portuguese) Something like West African Airlines should do the trick if they want to start a new brand. Ghana Airlines has not yet been used either.

RJNUT

Re: Ethiopian Airlines to launch Ghana airline!

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 pm

Speaking of Ethiopian-backed regional carriers. how does one pronounce ASKY? I assume (long A) A Sky and not ASKEY?

ghdc10
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 am

RJNUT wrote:
Speaking of Ethiopian-backed regional carriers. how does one pronounce ASKY? I assume (long A) A Sky and not ASKEY?

Hate to break it to you, but it is Askey. Sad. Just plain sad.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself because there isn't even a single aircraft in livery yet. Perhaps these destinations could work from ACC on a pure hub and spoke model. I know many of them are far flung with very little present O&D but look where ET started and how far they've come.

KICT

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 am

This will end well.

DLHAM

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:36 am

Maybe DUS and HAM get their Accra flights back thanks to this new Airline.
Where else was Ghana Airways flying to? London, FCO, ??? ... There were not many destinations in Europe. I remember these frequently delayed DC10s, an absolute Highlight.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

ghdc10
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:15 am

DLHAM wrote:
Maybe DUS and HAM get their Accra flights back thanks to this new Airline.
Where else was Ghana Airways flying to? London, FCO, ??? ... There were not many destinations in Europe. I remember these frequently delayed DC10s, an absolute Highlight.

There were flights to JFK and BWI as well as JNB, HRE, BEY and DXB in the final days

rbretas

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 am

Next: Ethiopian Airlines to launch a customer service that actually answers the phone.

JFKIceman

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 am

RJNUT wrote:

Working for ET we pronounced is Ah Sky

RJNUT

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 am

JFKIceman wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Working for ET we pronounced is Ah Sky

Great.. All three pronunciation options stink, but hey ,we didnt name it here on A.net.
Thanks

AF022

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am

i thought it was ASK-eye

Blerg

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Will be interesting to see how this works out. Ghana, compared to most other African countries, does quite ok. I hope they don't go all megalomanic and actually concentrate on improving regional connectivity. Africa needs this especially taking into consideration that taking the road is not always the best solution.

Congrats to both Ghana and ET!

asuflyer

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm

So far I believe an airline in Ghana would ET's most promising venture, compared with Malawian (not profitable since inception), ASKY, Tchadia and Zambia, and Ethiopian Mocambique. The economy and VFR markets much are larger, than any of the other countries.

AF022

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Blerg wrote:
Will be interesting to see how this works out. Ghana, compared to most other African countries, does quite ok. I hope they don't go all megalomanic and actually concentrate on improving regional connectivity. Africa needs this especially taking into consideration that taking the road is not always the best solution.

What could a new airline in Ghana accomplish regionally that isn't already covered by Air Cote d'ivoire and ASKY? I don't think regional capacity is a problem since these two airlines started.

africawings

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:23 pm

And from the economic giant, just two countries down in Nigeria...absolutely nothing in response.
Sad, really sad!

c933103

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:35 pm

africawings wrote:
And from the economic giant, just two countries down in Nigeria...absolutely nothing in response.
Sad, really sad!

The idea that "some other countries are doing great in some industry so government of my country should follow" would often need to financial failure, corruption projects, and governmental-national companies with low efficiency

berari

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:57 pm

ghdc10 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but it is Askey. Sad. Just plain sad.

Ah Sky. That's how it's pronounced.

KICT wrote:
This will end well.

Likely will. Ghana has more O&D traffic than Lome, and the latter has worked well. We don't know the details in the agreement, and it may include partnership with ASKY although I doubt it (ASKY aircraft are being used on the Ethiopian Mozambique airline that launched last week.)

asuflyer wrote:
So far I believe an airline in Ghana would ET's most promising venture, compared with Malawian (not profitable since inception), ASKY, Tchadia and Zambia, and Ethiopian Mocambique. The economy and VFR markets much are larger, than any of the other countries.

Agreed. Ghana has a lot more potential than the rest. Malawi in my opinion was the worst venture, and it's been confirmed with the launch of the airline next door in Zambia.

I do wish that the ET-Ghana venture from over a decade ago had taken off with Ghana International. I know of a few a.netters that partook in that, and I imagine they share the same sentiments. ASKY is what GIA could have been. Accra could be the first ET venture to see flights to Europe, especially London.

AF022 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

What could a new airline in Ghana accomplish regionally that isn't already covered by Air Cote d'ivoire and ASKY? I don't think regional capacity is a problem since these two airlines started.

The new airline in Ghana has the VFR and economy to support it. If the formula is based on the cheap Q400 which is now ubiquitous in the region, it could work very well.

africawings wrote:
Sad, really sad!

The opportunities are there but the risks, my my.

soups

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Rumours a few of ASKY aircraft are heading to mazambique.

Would be good if their west african hops, (LFW-EWR/LAX and ABJ-EWR) move to Accra.
The venture will be great for a hub, routes which can be filled very quick are the obvious ones.
LHR, DUS, HAM, FCO, BWI, JNB, DXB, NYC.
They can establish some good connections between BEY and brazil, USA/Europe to West, central and southern Africa.

Good luck and can't wait to see it happen
I am flying to ACC end jan, not booked by ticket yet just in case they start LHR-ACC.
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Cunard

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 pm

If your intending on going to Accra from London at the end of January I suggest that you book your ticket soon as possible because whatever happens regarding the new Ghanaian startup there's no way that they will be operating to London from Accra by the end of January, your looking at a matter of a few weeks not months, any possible route to London or to mainland European destinations will be quite far off for now and we're talking in months not weeks.

The end of January is only seven weeks time.

And regarding the rumours about the ASKY aircraft, I'm assuming you meant heading to Mozambique!

But why would they?

A few weeks ago ASKY had commented on the fact that they had intentions of using their B738 from Lome to LGW but it seems to have gone quiet regarding that proposal.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos