LuxuryTravelled

Re: London Heathrow (LHR) 2019 New Routes

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:45 am

Sean - RE Dalaman, as a tourist destination is argueably larger than either Izmir or Antalya - close to the large resort of Marmaris (big for the British), but also Olu Deniz, Fetiyhe and Kalkan (also a very popular place for the British).

I would also push that barrier of ‘Seasonal Routes’ to 3+ hours - there is Chania + other Greek routes.

lhrsfosyd

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:17 am

Perhaps second daily Accra or Abijan?

SCQ83

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 am

Egoistically, I would also see LHR-SCQ on a two/three weekly basis on high-season.

SCQ can be a "premium city break". There is no shortage of 5-star hotels (e.g. NH Collection, Marriott Autograph Collection, Paradores, Eurostars...) or expensive places for a dinner in the city.

Iberia used to serve SCQ-LHR until it was moved to LCG-LHR (on Clickair, then on Vueling) subsidised until now; for more than 10 years.

Aer Lingus will serve DUB-SCQ daily on S19, and IB and Vueling serve MAD-SCQ and BCN-SCQ multiple times a day, so I would find odd that a 2-weekly flight could not work there, when other IAG carriers can make it.

LuxuryTravelled wrote:
Sean - RE Dalaman, as a tourist destination is argueably larger than either Izmir or Antalya - close to the large resort of Marmaris (big for the British), but also Olu Deniz, Fetiyhe and Kalkan (also a very popular place for the British).

I would also push that barrier of ‘Seasonal Routes’ to 3+ hours - there is Chania + other Greek routes.

I see two main concerns about Turkey.

1. Turkish carriers are very pushy and aggressive with fares. Even a carrier like Ryanair started flights to Turkey and they don't seem to expand.
2. Turkey is an unstable country. Now things are fine again, but who knows what might happen in 2 years from now? IAG / BA is quite a conservative group / airline.

lhrsfosyd wrote:

That is what RAM and Casablanca are for.

AstanaMagic

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:53 am

SCQ83 wrote:
AstanaMagic wrote:
I would be very happy to see the current BA LGW-SVQ route move to LHR, with BA. I would not be very happy if IB, I2 or VY took on the route, all three of these carriers represent the worst of Spain, in terms of customer experience.

Iberia/VY do not serve LHR unless it is subsidised. It was the case with I2 with OVD-LHR (subsidised; the subsidy ran out and the route was chopped) or Vueling's LCG-LHR where the city council of A Coruña has recently renewed their subsidy. For some reason, some provincial towns in Spain are obsessed with flights to Heathrow even if they don't provide much connectivity.

GSTBA wrote:
Agadir (AGA) - Morocco is very popular destination due to its climate. If announced this would be a Service resumption.
Casablanca (CMN) - Future Oneworld alliance member, Royal Air Marroc’s main hub. BA are likely to return there very soon.
Lamezia Terme (SUF) - In southern Italy.
Zadar (ZAD)- Croatia’s tourism industry continues to grow. In particular in the cities along the Dalmatian coast.

Those seem quite logical additions. Morocco, Southern Italy and Croatia are fast-growing holiday destinations. I2 recently announced MAD-ZAD, so having BA onboard would only make sense. Wouldn't AGA make more sense from LGW? From my understanding, Agadir is kind of a "cheap" holiday destination. I know BA started recently LHR-RAK, but Marrakech can be quite a high-end place.

The connections to LON (either LGW or LHR) are important for the regional airports, and they do attract a lot of connecting traffic (such as myself). Even before OW SVQ had a direct connection to LHR and for it be renewed, would save me £90 in a taxi fare. The direct flight from AGP to LHR is almost rammed full and heavy in CE (largely connecting flights from the US and ME)

There are many people like me who would rather pay a premium to go through LON or FRA/MUC, than connect via MAD. IB and it’s subsidiaries don’t value their J pax. Despite much lauding, I see little improvement in the last 20 years.

Having just landed after a 5 hr flight from TLV, in J, I can attest to this. If they want to be FR, then be FR, there is no halfway house.
2019: ALA, AGP, AMM, DXB, FRA, GYD, IST, KBP, LGW, LHR, MAD, SVQ, TAS, TBS, TSE, XRY
A/C: 319, 32B, 32S, 32Q, 32V, 321, 73H, 73J, 75W, 76W, 77E, 788, E90
A/L: BA, HY, IB, J2, JY, KC, LH, PS, TK, U2

lhrsfosyd

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:06 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Egoistically, I would also see LHR-SCQ on a two/three weekly basis on high-season.

SCQ can be a "premium city break". There is no shortage of 5-star hotels (e.g. NH Collection, Marriott Autograph Collection, Paradores, Eurostars...) or expensive places for a dinner in the city.

Iberia used to serve SCQ-LHR until it was moved to LCG-LHR (on Clickair, then on Vueling) subsidised until now; for more than 10 years.

Aer Lingus will serve DUB-SCQ daily on S19, and IB and Vueling serve MAD-SCQ and BCN-SCQ multiple times a day, so I would find odd that a 2-weekly flight could not work there, when other IAG carriers can make it.

LuxuryTravelled wrote:

I see two main concerns about Turkey.

1. Turkish carriers are very pushy and aggressive with fares. Even a carrier like Ryanair started flights to Turkey and they don't seem to expand.
2. Turkey is an unstable country. Now things are fine again, but who knows what might happen in 2 years from now? IAG / BA is quite a conservative group / airline.

lhrsfosyd wrote:

That is what RAM and Casablanca are for.

RAM could be an option and only once codesharing agreements are in place. Even then it would attract low yield traffic from LON area only. Accra is an absolute cash cow for BA and second daily could work with timings similar to Abuja. Abijan is booming with multiple services to non Francophone countries. West Africa like most of BA long haul destinations attract plenty of connecting traffic.

Cunard

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 pm

LuxuryTravelled wrote:
GSTBA - I wouldnt be surprised if both Zadar and Lamezia Terme would be connected to Neilson’s, and maybe converting a charter into a scheduled service. They ran a Lamezia flight this year for Neilson, whilst they operated Zadar from Stansted with Titan, but I could easily see that being moved over.

Absolutely can’t see Eindhoven, Riga, Kerry or Gdańsk happening. BA failed with Rotterdam which is argueably the second choice behind Schipol, they have a codeshare to Riga with Air Baltic from LGW - there can’t be a big enough market for the both of them. Kerry and Gdańsk, both very marginal - not touristy or business which seems to be the LHR philosophy (not really VFR).

For winter 19/20, really wouldnt be surprised if they tried something like Roveniemi + Agadir and/or Casablanca.

Bananaboy - I think if BA were to introduce another Turkish route, I think it will be Bodrum - it ties into the ‘Premium Leisure’ market more. Although Antalya is certainly building its golfing presence.

If British Airways introduced Bodrum it would actually be a resumption as they flew there upto a few years ago from LGW.

Bodrum was cancelled after the terrorist attacks in Turkey several years ago when tourism to the country plummeted, LGW to Antalya and Dalaman were also cancelled at the same time but Dalaman has since been resumed.

Izmir has also previously been served from LGW but that ended about 15 years ago maybe slightly longer.

With Royal Air Moroc now joining Oneworld I can see Casablanca being resumed from LHR.

Agadir would be a good route to resume either from LGW or LHR on a seasonal basis at least as personally I would appreciate a direct link with British Airways.

I wouldn't say that British Airways failed on Rotterdam, all they did was move it from LHR to LCY where they currently fly the route upto three times daily.

Gdansk was previously served from LGW along with Krakow, the latter has since been restarted from LHR.

Gdansk is a lovely city with a really nice old town and is increasingly growing in popularity as a city break destination, contrary to what you've stated it also has a lot of business opportunities as well so I wouldn't be too surprised if British Airways resumed service to the city from LHR rather than from LGW.

As I stated previously as well as yourself British Airways currently codeshare with Air Baltic on LGW to Riga but again it would not surprise me if they announced the resumption of their own flights to Riga.

Riga has tourism but lacks business although it has potential as a city break destination and I was quite surprised how interesting it was when I visited the city.

If British Airways can serve Rotterdam alongside Amsterdam considering that the two cities are only 50 miles apart and only 35 minutes away by Express train I don't think Eindhoven is that far fetched.

Eindhoven is in a great location in the south of the Netherlands in a triangle to Amsterdam and Rotterdam, it's also close to the German border and the wealthy and affluent and very industrial Ruhr region.

Eindhoven is 75 miles from Amsterdam and Hour and 30 minutes by road, Eindhoven is 70 miles from Rotterdam and Hour and 20 minutes by road, Eindhoven is 75 miles from Düsseldorf and Hour and 30 minutes by road

Eindhoven is the fifth largest city in the Netherlands, it's a very wealthy city and it's a major technology and industrial hub, it's the country's top research and technology centre, the university is a centre of excellence in biomedical science technology and research, it's also home to the major Dutch companies such as Philips, DAF and Brabantia.

I can't see British Airways flying to Rovaniemi on a scheduled basis too low yield and a very short season with a lot of competition from dedicated tour operators.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:17 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
Also, just to correct you as per the OP, this thread is about all new LHR routes, not just "discussing new or extra British Airways flights from LHR for Summer 2019."

Back to the topic...

Great to see LJU addition - I agree that it's a gem of a destination and those timings are great for leisure. I hope Chengdu survives long term too - gives a new take on "Panda Express!" :D

Am I allowed to speculate? What chances would a season Antalya / Izmir have from Heathrow? I know BA have Dalaman from Gatwick but Dalaman is a smaller city than both.

Mark

I would say it is unlikely from Heathrow that Antalya or Izmir would be launched from Heathrow. Turkish is starting a new Gatwick-Ankara and I would say that was the most likely new Turkish route to reach Heathrow.

British Airways have a number of seasonal routes, but are mainly used on A320 and flights are approximately 2 hours long in order to land at the correct times for reusing the planes or before the evening curfew[/quote]

FYI

Chengdu didn't survive the ''long term'.

British Airways ceased LHR to Chengdu ''The Panda Express'' over two years ago!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

bananaboy

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Cunard wrote:
Cunard wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
Also, just to correct you as per the OP, this thread is about all new LHR routes, not just "discussing new or extra British Airways flights from LHR for Summer 2019."

Back to the topic...

Great to see LJU addition - I agree that it's a gem of a destination and those timings are great for leisure. I hope Chengdu survives long term too - gives a new take on "Panda Express!" :D

Am I allowed to speculate? What chances would a season Antalya / Izmir have from Heathrow? I know BA have Dalaman from Gatwick but Dalaman is a smaller city than both.

Mark

I would say it is unlikely from Heathrow that Antalya or Izmir would be launched from Heathrow. Turkish is starting a new Gatwick-Ankara and I would say that was the most likely new Turkish route to reach Heathrow.

British Airways have a number of seasonal routes, but are mainly used on A320 and flights are approximately 2 hours long in order to land at the correct times for reusing the planes or before the evening curfew

FYI

Chengdu didn't survive the ''long term'.

British Airways ceased LHR to Chengdu ''The Panda Express'' over two years ago!

I'm well aware, thank you. I was referring, of course, to the Air China Chengdu route as referenced in the OP as we're discussing new routes.

LuxuryTravelled wrote:

Chania is interesting - there's some stunning hotels on the island.

I thought Antalya might be a possibility as it's such a large destination. I believe it's the third busiest airport in Turkey and, as it's further south than Dalaman & Izmir, it offers a longer tourist season than most of the eastern Med, with a climate similar to Cyprus.

In fact, are there any other busier airports in Europe or countries surrounding the Med that aren't connected to Heathrow, apart from Orly, Gatwick, Stansted and (if you're considering any of Russia West of the Urals) Vnukovo?

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

BA777FO

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:31 pm

GSTBA wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
Ljubljana and Montpellier were the latest two BA announcements. Apparently, according the the COO there will be more new route announcements over the coming weeks.

That should start some wild speculation!

He did say that, but as some have already people have already posted, what he didn’t say was what airport the new routes would be operating from. BA still have a number of the ex Monarch slots still to fill.

Correct, he didn't say which airport, and there are Monarch slots to fill. However, there are neither the aircraft nor crew to fly them all for summer '19! Few recent additions have been more than 4x weekly, I wouldn't expect anything announced in the next few weeks or months to be any more frequent.

That's why I think you'll see more 2x weekly Greek Island-esque flights on a Tuesday/Wednesday & Sunday rather than anything major in terms of big route announcements.

BA777FO

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Cunard wrote:
Izmir has also previously been served from LGW but that ended about 15 years ago maybe slightly longer.

Izmir was cancelled in 2010 I think, I definitely remember flying it as a day trip in 2008 on the 737 and it later had a night flight for summer 2009. I agree that Turkey, like Egypt and Tunisia are still a bit too politically unstable to be seeing the likes of Antalya, Sharm, Hurghada or Sfax/Tunis added anytime soon.

Raleigh/Durham seems like a good candidate to switch to BA, a CLT frequency too perhaps. Not new routes but a new operator perhaps. The A350 arrives for BA next summer and although it won't be opening new routes it'll be interesting to see what it replaces.

Cunard

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks for the clarification of when the Izmir flight ceasing operating, I'm usually quite good when it comes to things like that but I just couldn't remember exactly in what year British Airways actually stopped Izmir, obviously your correct and I'm not doubting that but it just seems far longer than 2010.

Balloonchaser

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:25 am

BA777FO wrote:
Cunard wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

I'm not 100% sure but I think the extra 777 might be a 4-class GE aircraft, so there'll be 6 3-class GEs, 4 3-class RR and 4 4-class GEs. The 4-class without the crew bunk couldn't do South America and I think the 3-class RR are tied up with LIM, MRU, SJO, LAS, possibly an extra couple of frequencies to squeeze out of it?

St. Vincent is probably likely to be a shuttle from ANU if it happens, I know the LGW commercial team went out to SXM a few years ago but nothing came of it. HAV may well be a good fit now the LGW 777s have a less premium configuration. Phuket and Goa have been bandied around for years but I don't think the yirlds are there for the former and airport constraints stop the latter.

From LHR there are still half a dozen US destinations but most would br on the 787-8 and they're just about accounted for too. IND has probably fallen down the list now Delta fly to CDG from there daily. STL is still an option, as is CVG. Not convinced MSP or DTW are high on the list either but are possibilities. Could well be some more juggling with AA too - DFW is set to remain on the W18 timetable on a 777 for S19 instead of the 747.

After all that, it'll probably be something like Gdansk!

Interesting analysis and I agree with everything that you have wrote but with regards to SXM,

Although SXM as the airport on a divided island in the Dutch Antilles with St Maartin being on the Dutch side and Sint Maartin being on the French side it's a lovely island with a great mix of cultures although very separate with the Dutch side definitely being different to the French side but personally I just can't see it as being a destination for British Airways I never have done and I think that the majority of posters on airliners.net only suggest it because of Maho Beach and the famous jet blast but it doesn't really offer a lot to the British tourist although I think that St Vincent does plus with some VFR I think that's a far more probable future destination in the Caribbean for British Airways than St Maarten would be.

St Vincent Airport doesn't just serve the main island of St Vincent it's the main airport for others including the beautiful island of Bequia as well as the many islands within the Grenadines which by the way are absolutely beautiful and far different to the likes of St Kitts or St Lucia.

(not saying that those two islands aren't beautiful especially not St Kitts) :-)

I think that's all true, St. Maarten isn't on the radar of many Brits, I think the Head of Commercial Gatwick at the time was there on a jolly with their tourist board! POS shuttles do well, I'm not sure the demand for a direct flight is there though. Caribbean Airways did for a little while. I do wonder if NAS-GCM might move to LGW? The connections at Heathrow might be too much of a requirement for its commercial success though. SEZ is the other possibility - BA could probably convince BALPA to put it on an unbunked aircraft for a little extra credit as with Cancun. St Vincent as a shuttle from ANU would work well to test the water definitely. A return to Montego Bay could be a good shout too and Havana with the new densified config. There was a crewmour of Bogota but I just can't see it, not from Gatwick anyway. Not sure if they'd consider DEN or YYC for ski season? I think they'd rather avoid much more duplication though.

For Heathrow, Islamabad would be high up on the list if security issues could be resolved. Unfortunately I think Calcutta, Dhaka, Vietnam and elsewhere in Thailand would be seen as too low-yielding. There may well be more seasonal leisure flying (the now typical Tuesday or Wednesday plus a Sunday departure) to a few more Greek islands. Bordeaux may well move to LHR, it'd follow MRS ans TLS up the road in recent times but would add more seasonality to LGW short haul, which is a bit of a problem at the moment.

Probably a lot of tinkering around the edges until the bulk of A350s and 787-10s are delivered.

I’d think that SXM would be of value to British Airways or Virgin Atlantic due to the fact that SXM can easily be advertised as a British Destination as well as the fact that Anguilla (British Territory) is a short 10 minute plane hop or a 20 minute boat ride away.

With the rebuilding of the island of SXM going really well, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some airlines like this try new routes

Cunard

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Interesting analysis and I agree with everything that you have wrote but with regards to SXM,

Although SXM as the airport on a divided island in the Dutch Antilles with St Maartin being on the Dutch side and Sint Maartin being on the French side it's a lovely island with a great mix of cultures although very separate with the Dutch side definitely being different to the French side but personally I just can't see it as being a destination for British Airways I never have done and I think that the majority of posters on airliners.net only suggest it because of Maho Beach and the famous jet blast but it doesn't really offer a lot to the British tourist although I think that St Vincent does plus with some VFR I think that's a far more probable future destination in the Caribbean for British Airways than St Maarten would be.

St Vincent Airport doesn't just serve the main island of St Vincent it's the main airport for others including the beautiful island of Bequia as well as the many islands within the Grenadines which by the way are absolutely beautiful and far different to the likes of St Kitts or St Lucia.

(not saying that those two islands aren't beautiful especially not St Kitts) :-)

I think that's all true, St. Maarten isn't on the radar of many Brits, I think the Head of Commercial Gatwick at the time was there on a jolly with their tourist board! POS shuttles do well, I'm not sure the demand for a direct flight is there though. Caribbean Airways did for a little while. I do wonder if NAS-GCM might move to LGW? The connections at Heathrow might be too much of a requirement for its commercial success though. SEZ is the other possibility - BA could probably convince BALPA to put it on an unbunked aircraft for a little extra credit as with Cancun. St Vincent as a shuttle from ANU would work well to test the water definitely. A return to Montego Bay could be a good shout too and Havana with the new densified config. There was a crewmour of Bogota but I just can't see it, not from Gatwick anyway. Not sure if they'd consider DEN or YYC for ski season? I think they'd rather avoid much more duplication though.

For Heathrow, Islamabad would be high up on the list if security issues could be resolved. Unfortunately I think Calcutta, Dhaka, Vietnam and elsewhere in Thailand would be seen as too low-yielding. There may well be more seasonal leisure flying (the now typical Tuesday or Wednesday plus a Sunday departure) to a few more Greek islands. Bordeaux may well move to LHR, it'd follow MRS ans TLS up the road in recent times but would add more seasonality to LGW short haul, which is a bit of a problem at the moment.

Probably a lot of tinkering around the edges until the bulk of A350s and 787-10s are delivered.

I’d think that SXM would be of value to British Airways or Virgin Atlantic due to the fact that SXM can easily be advertised as a British Destination as well as the fact that Anguilla (British Territory) is a short 10 minute plane hop or a 20 minute boat ride away.

With the rebuilding of the island of SXM going really well, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some airlines like this try new routes

What do you actually mean by your comment ''due to the fact that SXM can easily be advertised as a British Destination as well''?

Regardless of the fact that Anguilla which IS a British Overseas Territory and is only a short 10 minute hop by a small aircraft or a 20 minute boat ride away the fact remains that the Island of St Maarten/Sint Maarten is an island country that is part Dutch part French.

The northern part of the island IS in fact a French Overseas Territory and comprises 60% of the island with the southern part of island 40% of the island being a constitute of the Kingdom of the Netherlands it forms part of the Netherlands Antilles.

Taking that into account how do you assume that British Airways or Virgin Atlantic can easily advertise the island as a British Destination!

Although Anguilla is a British Overseas Territory and is only 10 miles north of the island from the French side of St Maarten/Sint Maarten it is in fact one of the most northern islands of the Leeward Islands part of the Lesser Antilles.

Anguilla doesn't have a very large tourism industry and the island relies heavily on it's connection to Sint Maarten in regards to supplies, goods and even healthcare, Anguilla is also a very poor island in comparison to it's island neighbor and has yet to recover from the effects of the hurricane that totally devastated the island.

Saint Maarten as an island is very nice indeed and even though a lot of work has been done the fact remains that it still hasn't fully recovered from the hurricane that ripped through the island even though the airport as in SXM is again almost fully functional.

You don't really find British tourists traveling to the island of St Maarten/Sint Maarten as it's primarily Dutch or French on vacation for obvious reasons.

The majority of British tourists as well as tourists from North American are actually visiting the island as part of a cruise.

So taking all of that into consideration it is no way a British Destination and I can't see how either British Airways or Virgin Atlantic can easily advertise it as being so.

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is a country in the Lesser Antilles island archipelago comprising the main island of Saint Vincent and several other smaller islands including Bequia and the islands forming the Grenadines.

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines was a former British Overseas Territory which gained it's independence from the United Kingdom on the 27 October 1979.

The language is English and the islands have a close relationship with it's former colonial power of the United Kingdom, it has a fairly decent VFR market although that's obviously declining as the generations age.

The island of Saint Vincent has a brand new international airport replacing it's much smaller domestic airport called Argyll International Airport which is fully functional and wasn't really affected by the recent hurricanes as in the case of St Maarten and Anguilla.

Although the main island of Saint Vincent doesn't have the wide sandy beaches of St Maarten or the equivalent amount of high end accommodation it has far more to offer the British tourist if you take into account of the smaller islands along with the Grenadines itself.

Tourism to Saint Vincent has been growing over the last few years especially from North America with new hotels being developed especially in the luxury upmarket sector which is in part due to the new international airport serving the country.

British Airways and Virgin Atlantic can ''easily advertise Saint Vincent and the Grenadines as a British Destination'' for the reasons above.

Although the island archipelago couldn't initially sustain a direct flight from London it could easily sustain a weekly tag on to one of airlines existing destinations in the Caribbean such as Antigua and if the demand arises perhaps it could be a stand alone destination in the future.

Although St Maarten/Sint Maarten is a beautiful destination it just doesn't have the same appeal to British tourists as the other former British Overseas Territory islands that British Airways and Virgin Atlantic currently serve.

SXM will obviously attract more airlines once the airport and the island is fully functional again but since the new Argyle International Airport was completed on the island of Saint Vincent it too has attracted more airlines due to the fact that the islands former airport was very small and couldn't accommodate larger aircraft but the growth has mainly come from neighbouring islands and from North America.

So in summing that all up I'm afraid that I don't agree with your assumption that British Airways or Virgin Atlantic could ''easily advertise SXM as a British Destination''.

BA777FO

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:56 am

It does seem like longer since Izmir was cancelled! There were some odd network planning decisions around that time. The era of Poznan and Newquay. I think Pristina stopped at a similar time to Izmir and Antalya too. Sarajevo and Varna were both chopped after summer 2008 too I think. Not sure either of those are candidates to return at some point.

One summer I think BA had no flights to Spain at all from LGW. It took a while for BA to realise the benefits of tailoring its LGW network around leisure destinations rather than trying to be a failing mix of all things to all people. They also finally realised that flying to leisure destinations also works out of Heathrow, they've been some of the most successful additions to the SH network lately.

Cunard

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:07 am

BA777FO

I have to comment on the fact that I really enjoy reading your posts as they are always informative and very interesting similar to mine if I can say that but regarding previous destinations from LGW British Airways also flew to Skopje in Macedonia which lasted IIRC a year longer than Pristina.

I can't recollect British Airways ever serving Poznan though!

I'm tempted to give a full list of former destinations within mainland Europe that British Airways previously flew to either by themselves or via their franchise partners.

If you think it's a good idea give me the thumbs up :-)

If I do compile such a list I know that I can rely on yourself to either correct me or at least add those that I have overlooked.

sonicruiser

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
The truth is that whenever a slot pair is required at LHR, one is found at LHR.

This ^

Cunard

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 am

sonicruiser wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

This ^

??????

LHR01

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:24 am

BA should be announcing Islamabad or Lahore soon perhaps?

SeanM1997
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:30 am

LHR01 wrote:

Do you have a source or is this a personal view?

Luxair747SP

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:32 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
LHR01 wrote:

This comes up every couple of weeks here for the last few years now, always by the same members. It hasn’t happened and won’t as BA will not let their crew overnight in Pakistan as of now

VFRonTop

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am

sonicruiser wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

This ^

Err, yes. Its known as economics, supply and demand, all that stuff.

BA777FO

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:58 am

Cunard wrote:
BA777FO

I have to comment on the fact that I really enjoy reading your posts as they are always informative and very interesting similar to mine if I can say that but regarding previous destinations from LGW British Airways also flew to Skopje in Macedonia which lasted IIRC a year longer than Pristina.

I'm tempted to give a full list of former destinations within mainland Europe that British Airways previously flew to either by themselves or via their franchise partners.

If I do compile such a list I know that I can rely on yourself to either correct me or at least add those that I have overlooked.

That would be great! To reminisce if nothing else but may provide some clues for future destinations to be restarted. Skopje was a bit before my time I think, certainly remember some of the stories about map shifts on the 737 which didn't get a GPS feed for the EGPWS database until much later. The nav database never did get a GPS feed, always made for an interesting day out to Tirana and Pristina with thunderstorms around!

I think Poznan only lasted one summer, I only ever went there once too. Other destinations from yester-year that spring to mind are Dresden, Tunis, another in Africa, an oil route that I can't for the life of me remember the name of! Lots of duplicated routes or routes that moved up to Heathrow like Toulouse, Dublin, Aberdeen, Newcastle, Madrid, Marseille, Zurich, Riga, Stockholm, Paris and a few others were all served from LGW once upon a time. Even Warsaw switched to LGW for a summer season shortly after T5 opened. I'll have to dig out my old logbooks and see what else I can remember.

Always appreciate your insight on here, especially into BA. Always well considered and really knowledgable!

eicvd

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:25 am

Cunard wrote:
BA777FO

I’d be interested in seeing that list Cunard
COYBIB

AIR MALTA

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Cunard wrote:
Other destinations from yester-year that spring to mind are Dresden, Tunis, another in Africa, an oil route that I can't for the life of me remember the name of!

That must have been Hassi Massoud. Served 2 weekly for 2 or 3 years.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Cunard

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Here goes and I will try my very best to list all the previous destinations that British Airways used to fly to either with their own aircraft or via franchise partners, I'm sure that I might miss a couple but this is what these forums are about as others can highlight those that I've either missed or made a mistake in adding, thanks to BA777FO I will add Poznan which is a destination that I was totally unaware of plus I will list destinations only not from which airport those destinations were served from as in LGW or LHR.

I will list them via continents but as far as the United Kingdom is concerned I will omit the Scottish Highlands and Islands as to be honest there are so many I'm not confident enough to list them.

I'm also not listing certain destinations such as Teesside, although being a subsidiary of British Airways it was flown by Northeast Airlines.

Someone had mentioned earlier in this thread that British Airways have cancelled Tallinn for summer 2019 but as I haven't seen any official confirmation of this I will not add it to the list.

Many of the African destinations were short lived as they didn't last long after the merger with BCAL in 1988.

As I mentioned above several of the destinations were served by British Airways franchise partners such as BMED, BMI, Citiflyer, GB Airways.

I'm also not going to list the destinations served by British Airways franchise partner Comair

EUROPE

Ajaccio
Angers (airport closed)
Antwerp
Belfast International
Belgrade
Bergen
Biarritz
Birmingham
Bratislava ?
Bristol
Bremen
Cardiff
Cork
Derry
Dresden
East Midlands
Ekaterinburg
Glasgow Prestwick
Guernsey
Innsbruck
Jerez de la Frontera
Klagenfurt
Linz
Liverpool
Luton
Munster/Osnabruck
Murcia
Newquay
Plymouth
Poznan
Pristina
Riga
Saarbrucken
Sarajevo
Shannon
Skopje
Southampton
Stavanger
Trieste
Varna
Vilnius
Wick
Zaragoza (cargo only)

AFRICA

Abidjan
Addis Ababa
Agadir
Alexandria
Banjul
Blantyre
Casablanca
Dakar
Dar es Salaam
Doula
Entebbe
Fez
Freetown
Gaborone
Harare
Hassi Messaoud
Hurghada
Kano
Khartoum
Kilimanjaro
Kinshasa
Libreville
Lilongwe
Lusaka
Luxor
Maputo (fuel stop)
Monrovia
Sharm El Sheikh
Tangier
Tripoli
Tunis
Yaoundé

ASIA

Aden
Aleppo
Almaty
Ankara
Antalya
Baghdad
Baku
Bandar Seri Begawan
Bishkek
Bodrum
Chengdu
Colombo
Damascus
Dhahran
Dhaka
Fukuoka
Islamabad
Izmir
Jakarta
Kolkata
Karachi
Manila
Nagoya
Rangoon
Sana'a
Sapporo
Taipei
Tbilisi
Tehran
Yerevan

OCEANIA

Adelaide
Auckland
Brisbane
Christchurch
Melbourne
Perth

NORTH AMERICA

Anchorage
Detroit
Edmonton
Honolulu (former BOAC)
Oakland

SOUTH AMERICA inc CARIBBEAN

Bogota
Caracas
Freeport
Georgetown
Havana
Montego Bay
Panama City
Recife
San Juan

Well I have to admit that was fun, luckily I have a great knowledge of geography and a bloody good memory when it comes to something like that, but I can't honestly remember people's names :-)
Last edited by Cunard on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Cunard

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm

LHR01 wrote:

Just a tip it's not a good idea to use Should and Perhaps in a sentence especially if it ends with a question mark.

Please can you stop making this statement at every opportunity that you have as you know full well why British Airways have not announced a return to Pakistan it's been explained to you on so many occasions as to the reasons why.

Until it's official and confirmed by British Airways we will then give you the honour of starting your very own thread regarding it :-)

SelseyBill

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:25 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
LHR’s assertion that it is full feels rather hollow in light of the body of evidence to the contrary.

.......depends on what evidence you choose to ignore.

klakzky123 wrote:
Well I think it just shows you how dominant BA's slot portfolio is.

.......depends on your definition of 'dominant'. In terms of 'legacy' carriers, BA has one of the lowest % slot portfolio shares at its 'home' airport in world aviation.

DobboDobbo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 pm

SelseyBill wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
LHR’s assertion that it is full feels rather hollow in light of the body of evidence to the contrary.

.......depends on what evidence you choose to ignore.

The same applies for the other side of the coin.

How much weight you attach to a piece of evidence is a judgment call, and there are plenty of examples (not just capacity) where what LHR/HHL claims bears little resemblance to reality.

SeanM1997
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:44 am

British Airways have announced today a 3x weekly service to Islamabad from Heathrow Terminal 5 from 2 June 2019. Flights will operate on the Boeing 787-8, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays leaving London at 9.15pm and arriving back at 4pm the next day. The route will face direct competition from PIA (Pakistan International Airlines) who operate 5x weekly between Heathrow and Islamabad

B742

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 am

Luxair747SP wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
LHR01 wrote:

This comes up every couple of weeks here for the last few years now, always by the same members. It hasn’t happened and won’t as BA will not let their crew overnight in Pakistan as of now

I have to say I enjoyed this quote following today's announcement.

Feroze

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm

B742 wrote:
Luxair747SP wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:

I have to say I enjoyed this quote following today's announcement.

Schadenfreude

Cunard

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Cunard wrote:
Here goes and I will try my very best to list all the previous destinations that British Airways used to fly to either with their own aircraft or via franchise partners, I'm sure that I might miss a couple but this is what these forums are about as others can highlight those that I've either missed or made a mistake in adding, thanks to BA777FO I will add Poznan which is a destination that I was totally unaware of plus I will list destinations only not from which airport those destinations were served from as in LGW or LHR.

I will list them via continents but as far as the United Kingdom is concerned I will omit the Scottish Highlands and Islands as to be honest there are so many I'm not confident enough to list them.

I'm also not listing certain destinations such as Teesside, although being a subsidiary of British Airways it was flown by Northeast Airlines.

Someone had mentioned earlier in this thread that British Airways have cancelled Tallinn for summer 2019 but as I haven't seen any official confirmation of this I will not add it to the list.

Many of the African destinations were short lived as they didn't last long after the merger with BCAL in 1988.

As I mentioned above several of the destinations were served by British Airways franchise partners such as BMED, BMI, Citiflyer, GB Airways.

I'm also not going to list the destinations served by British Airways franchise partner Comair

EUROPE

Ajaccio
Angers (airport closed)
Antwerp
Belfast International
Belgrade
Bergen
Biarritz
Birmingham
Bratislava ?
Bristol
Bremen
Cardiff
Cork
Derry
Dresden
East Midlands
Ekaterinburg
Glasgow Prestwick
Guernsey
Innsbruck
Jerez de la Frontera
Klagenfurt
Linz
Liverpool
Luton
Munster/Osnabruck
Murcia
Newquay
Plymouth
Poznan
Pristina
Riga
Saarbrucken
Sarajevo
Shannon
Skopje
Southampton
Stavanger
Trieste
Varna
Vilnius
Wick
Zaragoza (cargo only)

AFRICA

Abidjan
Addis Ababa
Agadir
Alexandria
Banjul
Blantyre
Casablanca
Dakar
Dar es Salaam
Doula
Entebbe
Fez
Freetown
Gaborone
Harare
Hassi Messaoud
Hurghada
Kano
Khartoum
Kilimanjaro
Kinshasa
Libreville
Lilongwe
Lusaka
Luxor
Maputo (fuel stop)
Monrovia
Sharm El Sheikh
Tangier
Tripoli
Tunis
Yaoundé

ASIA

Aden
Aleppo
Almaty
Ankara
Antalya
Baghdad
Baku
Bandar Seri Begawan
Bishkek
Bodrum
Chengdu
Colombo
Damascus
Dhahran
Dhaka
Fukuoka
Islamabad
Izmir
Jakarta
Kolkata
Karachi
Manila
Nagoya
Rangoon
Sana'a
Sapporo
Taipei
Tbilisi
Tehran
Yerevan

OCEANIA

Adelaide
Auckland
Brisbane
Christchurch
Melbourne
Perth

NORTH AMERICA

Anchorage
Detroit
Edmonton
Honolulu (former BOAC)
Oakland

SOUTH AMERICA inc CARIBBEAN

Bogota
Caracas
Freeport
Georgetown
Havana
Montego Bay
Panama City
Recife
San Juan

Well I have to admit that was fun, luckily I have a great knowledge of geography and a bloody good memory when it comes to something like that, but I can't honestly remember people's names :-)

Well we can take Islamabad off the list now that British Airways have officially confirmed that they are resuming flights to Islamabad.

One destination that I had actually missed from the list under the NORTH AMERICA section was Charlotte.

LHR01

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:58 pm

It's good to be back..

Cunard

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:20 pm

LHR01 wrote:
It's good to be back..

Where have you been I've been waiting to read your response on the dedicated thread to British Airways finally resuming Pakistan and in particular Islamabad.

We want you on that thread rather than your lacklustre five letter reply on this thread, are you having a bit of down day as I honestly thought out of anyone here on airliners.net that you'd be absolutely extatic and jubilant over this long awaited news ;-)

In fact I was hoping that it would have been yourself that initially informed us all but it wasn't to be in the end which to be honest is a shame as I personally would have liked it to have been :-)

LHR01

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:35 pm

I just wanted to get views on what people think about BA and Islamabad!

Already knew this was coming ;)

Cunard

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm

LHR01 wrote:
I just wanted to get views on what people think about BA and Islamabad!

Already knew this was coming ;)

As I've mentioned to you there is a dedicated thread to the announcement of British Airways resuming Islamabad, honestly that's where the discussion is and I've personally been waiting for you to make your personal views and comment on that particular thread, we're waiting for you in anticipation :-)

skipness1E

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Islamabad you say? Hold me back whilst I book a holiday to Pakistan to see the er.... and not forgetting the.....um

Anyhoo.
Anyone know where Etihad got their prime time slots for the short-season EY013/014 on the B789 from?

Cunard

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:05 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Islamabad you say? Hold me back whilst I book a holiday to Pakistan to see the er.... and not forgetting the.....um

Anyhoo.
Anyone know where Etihad got their prime time slots for the short-season EY013/014 on the B789 from?

Come on SKIP let's be serious here your more mature than that!

Islamabad and Pakistan as a whole isn't a typical holiday destination I think that your aware of that and I also think that you are aware of the fact that United Kingdom to Pakistan is a HUGE VFR market and the resumption of British Airways on LHR to Islamabad is huge, it's an enormous endorsement of Pakistan and the route will be a success as long as the security situation stays stable in the city but having the new Islamabad airport has obviously helped in attracting British Airways back to the city.

Islamabad is a completely different situation to Karachi which is 1138 km to the south.

FYI Islamabad by Pakistani standards is a very modern and clean city having been totally preplanned and built as the new capital city of Pakistan in 1960. It has excellent transportation, western style shopping, a huge variety of restaurants from local to international cuisine, a beautiful cultural centre, lots of open green spaces and parks and it's also very close to the scenic Margalla Hills National Park but I guess it's not for everyone especially those that don't travel off the beaten track ;-)

I guess that it's the good old Gran Canaria and the Jumbo Centre for you and your partner when 'booking your holidays' ;-)

But please don't take my comments seriously especially the last bit regarding Gran Canaria as I'm sure your above that but I was just trying to explain that Islamabad and Pakistan as a whole does have a lot to offer the more adventurous traveler like myself who just happens to have been to the country and with this direct flight by British Airways I might even consider returning :-)

SeanM1997
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:08 pm

As of 18 December 2018, the new routes at Heathrow in 2019 are:

31st March - Phoenix Sky Harbor - American Airlines - Daily - B777-200ER
31st March - Valencia - British Airways - 9-14 Weekly - A320-200
31st March - Newquay Cornwall - Flybe - 4 Daily - Bombardier Q400
31st March - Las Vegas - Virgin Atlantic - Daily - B787-9

1st April - Osaka Kansai - British Airways - 4 Weekly - B787-8
2nd April - Chengdu - Air China - 3 Weekly - A330-300
2nd April - Pittsburgh - British Airways - 4 Weekly - B787-8
4th April - Charleston - British Airways - 2 Weekly (Seasonal) - B787-8

25th May - Bastia - British Airways - 1 Weekly (Seasonal) - A320-200
26th May - Preveza - British Airways - 2 Weekly (Seasonal) - A320-200

2nd June - Islamabad - British Airways - 3 Weekly - B787-8

15th July - Ljubljana - British Airways - 2 Weekly (Seasonal) - A319-100
15th July - Montpellier - British Airways - 4 Weekly (Seasonal) - A319-100

AviationRhys

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 pm

I think that Naples as a route for British Airways from Heathrow would be a good addition, it seems like a very fitting destination for BA from LHR. I know its served from LGW already but I think it would do very well as an LHR route.

SeanM1997
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:40 pm

AviationRhys wrote:
I think that Naples as a route for British Airways from Heathrow would be a good addition, it seems like a very fitting destination for BA from LHR. I know its served from LGW already but I think it would do very well as an LHR route.

BA seem to be doing some consolidation of routes, with Barcelona and Pisa ending at Gatwick and consolidated at Heathrow, and Menorca ending at Heathrow and consolidating at Gatwick.

I do believe Naples could be a good route from Heathrow, as well as Bordeaux, Seville, Bari and Porto - but think it's unlikely unless the entire operation shifted over

FlyCaledonian

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Cunard wrote:

Well I have to admit that was fun, luckily I have a great knowledge of geography and a bloody good memory when it comes to something like that, but I can't honestly remember people's names :-)a

You can add in Bergamo that was served from Gatwick (always advertised as Milan Bergamo).

Plus I assume you excluded Loganair to avoid the various strips in the Shetlands and Orkneys?
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Cunard

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:27 pm

FlyCaledonian (one of the best if not the best username here on a.net)

I didn't add Bergamo even though I was fully aware that British Airways previously served the airport but I was under the impression that they were charter flights rather than scheduled flights hence the ommision.

Adding Bergamo to the list was a case of did they or didn't they, not being absolutely sure I therefore omitted it from the list.

As I mentioned at the top of that post I've omitted the Highland and Scottish Island destinations as I wasn't absolutely confident in remembering or naming all of those various ''strips'' in the Outer Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland Islands that were either operated by British Airways themselves and later on throughout their relevant franchise operations by Flybe and Loganair.

You would have noticed from the list that the only destination that I have listed other than the main Scottish airports is Wick.

On a side note how do you feel about me opening a nostalgic thread about BCAL at some time in the Travel Polls and Preference Forum, I can compile a similar list of all the former destinations that were flown by Britains ''second force airline''.

I'd also like to open a similar nostalgic combined thread about Cambrian Airlines and BKS/Northeast Airlines.

SeanM1997
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 am

According to Garuda Indonesia's UK booking website. From 22nd January 2019, they will shift their London Heathrow (LHR) to Jakarta (CGK) to serve Denpasar-Bali (DPS). The route will continued to be served on a B777-300 and operate to the following service:

CGK 1205-2000 LHR (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)
LHR 2155-2115+1 DPS (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)

LAXLHR

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:15 pm

fcogafa wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

Untrue, China Airlines, Cathay, Air China, China Eastern etc etc all would prefer their LGW services to operate from LHR if the slots were available

Referring to BA slots, not in general.

Although airlines sell, lease and trade slots all the time.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

CarbonFibre

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:55 pm

China Airlines used to serve LHR but pulled out after a year or so!

SeanM1997
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
China Airlines used to serve LHR but pulled out after a year or so!

China Airlines applied for daily slots in S19 but have not been granted them. Many airlines have applied for slots but due to the scarcity of slots, many are left waiting.

skipness1E

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:27 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
According to Garuda Indonesia's UK booking website. From 22nd January 2019, they will shift their London Heathrow (LHR) to Jakarta (CGK) to serve Denpasar-Bali (DPS). The route will continued to be served on a B777-300 and operate to the following service:

CGK 1205-2000 LHR (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)
LHR 2155-2115+1 DPS (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)

So they're routing CGK-LHR-DPS?

SeanM1997
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am

China Southern have been given permission by China's Aviation Authority to launch 3x weekly Zhengzhou to London flights from April 2019. Flights not gone on sale yet nor schedule confirmed. It is presumed this route will go to Heathrow being the 12th Chinese mainland destination non-stop (weekly flights in brackets):

Beijing Capital (28), Shanghai Pudong (24), Guangzhou (7), Chengdu (3), Shenzhen (3) Wuhan (3), Xi'An (3), Chongqing (3), Changsha (3), Qingdao (2) and Sanya (2)

hz747300

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 pm

I doubt CX would prefer to be at LHR altogether, they have five 77Ws to LHR daily, I think they like having the LGW option. I suspect if it wasn't working, it would have been dropped already, like Dusseldorf was.
Keep on truckin'...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos