Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Rumor: Etihad to drop 'The Residence '

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:41 pm

There have been rumors circulating on twitter that Etihad Airways will be dropping the 'Residence' from all its 10 A380s in fleet. The decision has been made after the residence class is becoming uneconomical.

I guess with the turnaround plans the airline is going through, it is a logical step to take. The airline will start reconfiguring its A380s next year and will add Economy space seats.

Once I find an appropriate source, I will add the link here.

Airlines0613

Re: Rumor: Etihad to drop 'The Residence '

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Singapore can then take the crown as #1 in First Class once again.

YYZLGA

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:53 pm

It wouldn't be shocking. It's a halo product and it's done its job of getting Etihad all kinds of publicity as "world's most luxurious airline."

ScottB

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:59 pm

xwb777 wrote:
There have been rumors circulating on twitter that Etihad Airways will be dropping the 'Residence' from all its 10 A380s in fleet. The decision has been made after the residence class is becoming uneconomical.

My understanding was that the "Residence" mostly used space which would otherwise not be suitable for passenger seating, so I'm not sure how it's particularly uneconomical unless it virtually always flies empty at the price point EY has chosen.

Polot

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:06 pm

ScottB wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

My understanding was that the "Residence" mostly used space which would otherwise not be suitable for passenger seating, so I'm not sure how it's particularly uneconomical unless it virtually always flies empty at the price point EY has chosen.

Agreed, if anything I expect “The Lobby” (their onboard lounge/bar) to go away first.

hinckley

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:25 pm

ScottB wrote:

I think they could fit a couple more F suites in part of that space, but the forward crown area where the bed is in the Residence certainly would be unsuitable for any other passenger seating. In the A380s that I've seen, there's usually a lav or a purser's desk in that area.

Polot

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:47 pm

hinckley wrote:
ScottB wrote:

I think they could fit a couple more F suites in part of that space, but the forward crown area where the bed is in the Residence certainly would be unsuitable for any other passenger seating. In the A380s that I've seen, there's usually a lav or a purser's desk in that area.

Looking at seat maps (haven’t ever been on an EY A380) it looks like at most they could fit one more F suite in the useable for pax space. It looks like the bulkhead row doesn’t have enough clearance to allow for a walk way for an F suite directly next to window.

MoKa777

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:57 pm

Maybe it is uneconomical from a staffing and service perspective. Doesn't The Residence have a dedicated butler..?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

readytotaxi

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Yes it does and an inflight chef aswell.
https://www.etihad.com/en-us/experience ... residence/
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

smokeybandit

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Darn, I was just about to book a flight in The Residence, too

ScottB

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:28 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Yes it does and an inflight chef aswell.
https://www.etihad.com/en-us/experience ... residence/

So... just from trying a sample booking, the price of two F seats for JFK-AUH return ends up being about $3000 higher than booking the Residence. I know that some of the Apartment Suites can be joined by lowering a partition, but it seems like offering the Residence space to loyalty program elites booking two F seats together might be a good way to surprise and delight customers. I suspect the "inflight chef" is shared with the F cabin and the butler seems somewhat unnecessary when it's likely the F cabin is sufficiently staffed to attend to customer needs with alacrity.

StudiodeKadent

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:03 am

YYZLGA wrote:
It wouldn't be shocking. It's a halo product and it's done its job of getting Etihad all kinds of publicity as "world's most luxurious airline."

To be fair, The Residence isn't just a stupid waste. Its actually a pretty smart idea, as it allowed Etihad to monetize space which otherwise wouldn't be used. Not to mention, the First Apartments were a pretty space-efficient installation, since going to single-aisle decreased the amount of space that the cabin used for aisles. EY managed to fit 11 people (9 First, 2 Residence) into a space that most airlines with First in that part of the plane usually only get 8 people into.

The problem with the Residence, from what I know, is weight. When the Residence isn't being used, it adds a substantial weight penalty to the plane.

I know Hogan gets bashed a lot around here, but the Residence wasn't a stupid idea at all. It monetized space that otherwise would've not been used. The downside of it is the weight penalty. If Etihad can't reduce the weight of it, they should at least find a way to monetize it more easily; selling it as an upgrade to First rather than a separate class would be a good start I think.

sonicruiser

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:12 am

I heard it was weight issues with the residence that prevented the A380 from flying AUH-LAX so it'd be nice to see that upgauged if they rubbish this.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

parapente

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:31 am

Anybody found the source online?No point discussing if simply untrue.

bunumuring

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am

Hey guys,
Flying The Residence has been on my bucket list since Etihad launched it. I really hope it survives this round of Etihad cuts so that I can book it some point in the future : I haven't quite reached the savings level needed yet for the return Sydney-Abu Dhabi-London flight!
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos