janders
Topic Author

Air NZ engineers vote to strike Dec. 21

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Air New Zealand engineers have scheduled a strike Dec. 21 that threatens to disrupt travel plans of customers on one of the airline’s busiest travel days, although further negotiations are planned in an effort to resolve the contract dispute.

The strike announcement on Dec. 6 followed a vote taken earlier this week by nearly 1,000 workers represented by the Aviation and Marine Engineers Association and the E tū union, which is a multi-industry labor group. The unions said 95% of those voting was in favor of strike action.

The New Zealand flag carrier said the unions have also advised the airline to expect further industrial action.

http://atwonline.com/labor/air-new-zeal ... ike-dec-21

Unions seek to maximize leverage by timing their action cleverly.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Doublecatered

Re: Air NZ engineers vote to strike Dec. 21

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:31 pm

Good for them
Its time that the industrial landscape was rebalanced a tad.
This part of the world lurching to far to the right for my liking and the workers are not getting fair compensation and conditions.
Strong, smart and fair unions are needed now more than ever

LH658

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:26 am

lol I thought Kiwis were chill.

zkncj

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:29 am

Doublecatered wrote:
This part of the world lurching to far to the right for my liking and the workers are not getting fair compensation and conditions.

How? NZ's line engineers are already some of the most expensive in the world. You have an lone engineer on around $100,000NZD/year so approximately $54/hour, so they are complaining about getting $87/hr for overtime?

Don't forget by law in New Zealand, everyone gets 4 weeks paid holidays per year so in some sense that can be added to the hourly rate.

aerorobnz

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:36 am

zkncj wrote:
Doublecatered wrote:

How? NZ's line engineers are already some of the most expensive in the world. You have an lone engineer on around $100,000NZD/year so approximately $54/hour, so they are complaining about getting $87/hr for overtime?

Don't forget by law in New Zealand, everyone gets 4 weeks paid holidays per year so in some sense that can be added to the hourly rate.

From what I have heard, they are defending their existing penal rates too. The company wants all overtime to be 1.5x salary instead of 1.5x and 2x once they exceed a specific number of hours. That is the same for shift employees from the top down at NZ so they are setting a precedent for the entire company. That is eroding existing contracts and that means less money for employees when the company is making more than ever,

I don't favour industrial action in the slightest, but existing conditions need to be maintained. They obviously felt the company needed this prompt to aid negotiations.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

smi0006

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:42 am

Regardless of your opinion of industrial action, or the current conditions - it’s a bit it mean spirited to do it at Christmas - seems drastic without escalation. I don’t think they are going to win much public support for this. I think they will have misjudged the mood of the traveling public.

YYZatcboy

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:52 am

smi0006 wrote:
Regardless of your opinion of industrial action, or the current conditions - it’s a bit it mean spirited to do it at Christmas - seems drastic without escalation. I don’t think they are going to win much public support for this. I think they will have misjudged the mood of the traveling public.

The point of industrial action is to pressure the employer to negotiate better terms. You don't succeed in this by deciding to strike on the slowest day of the year. You pick a day that will hurt the employer. The traveling public's opinion on the union doesn't matter. What matters is the pressure the traveling public will put on the employer, and thus they picked the best day to do it.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

smi0006

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:23 am

YYZatcboy wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

The point of industrial action is to pressure the employer to negotiate better terms. You don't succeed in this by deciding to strike on the slowest day of the year. You pick a day that will hurt the employer. The traveling public's opinion on the union doesn't matter. What matters is the pressure the traveling public will put on the employer, and thus they picked the best day to do it.

I agree you don’t pick the quietest day, but kiwis will not be impressed the union has picked the day that impacts hard working kiwi families who have saved up for a christmas trip, as opposed to a busy day impacting business travel. And I disagree public support is key, if the unions misread the pressure won’t be on the company to stop the disruption but the unions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos