willenglish
Topic Author
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:13 pm

AeroMexico return to Calgary

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 pm

AeroMexico will be returning to Calgary, YYC in S19 launching 4x direct service from MEX, utilizing 737-800 aircrafts.

https://bit.ly/2QIYFQs
 
kavok
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:41 pm

AM and WS hubs on either end. Will help grow the partnership.
 
User avatar
Jawaiiansky66
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:03 am

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:43 pm

Man, i wish they offered better service. So disappointed on my business class flight from MEX - YVR this past spring. Awful food, dirty planes (7378), less than enthusiastic flight crew and awful MEX airport.
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:08 am

Price of oil surely has a role to play in the resumption of service.

Price of WTI crude when AM left YYC in April: 66$
Price of WTI crude now : 52$
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2079
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Price of oil surely has a role to play in the resumption of service.

Price of WTI crude when AM left YYC in April: 66$
Price of WTI crude now : 52$


Yet Calgary is a major player in oil, so higher oil would seem to benefit demand.
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6243
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 am

Both Westjet and Aeromexico have flownYYC-MEX in recent years and ended the service. Westjet only a few months ago. What is different this time?
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
YYZatcboy
Posts: 1159
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:15 am

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 am

longhauler wrote:
Both Westjet and Aeromexico have flownYYC-MEX in recent years and ended the service. Westjet only a few months ago. What is different this time?


Slot times and no daytime flight. AMX left YYC shortly after WS started the daytime flight. The daytime flight didn't work out, so WS killed it. AMX is re starting the nightime flight which times into their connection banks.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763
 
tphuang
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:25 am

The entire thing is craziness. Probably all results of their delta partnership. If there is minimal demand between the two cities, why do airlines keep trying it? People keep making Calgary into this major airport which it’s really not. Vancouver is a much larger city in terms of demand than Calgary.
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:36 am

YYZatcboy wrote:
longhauler wrote:
Both Westjet and Aeromexico have flownYYC-MEX in recent years and ended the service. Westjet only a few months ago. What is different this time?


Slot times and no daytime flight. AMX left YYC shortly after WS started the daytime flight. The daytime flight didn't work out, so WS killed it. AMX is re starting the nightime flight which times into their connection banks.


When AM started YYC back in June 2017, their flight times were nearly identical to the ones proposed for next summer.

https://www.yyc.com/News/tabid/91/artic ... -City.aspx

June 2017

YYC-MEX AM 613 11:30 p.m - 6:05 a.m. Daily
MEX-YYC AM 612 6:00 p.m - 10:30 p.m. Daily


May 2019

Calgary – Mexico City

AM 613 11:55 p.m. 6:30 a.m.* (Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Mexico City – Calgary

AM 612 5:55 p.m. 10:30 p.m.* (Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday)


So in short, the only thing different is the frequency (daily> 4x weekly), the fact that its now summer seasonal only, and the price of oil.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
YYZatcboy
Posts: 1159
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:15 am

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:08 am

And the fact that WS is not operating a second flight on the same route. I should clarify that by slot times I mean that the night slots appear to work better than a daytime flight.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12190
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:42 am

tphuang wrote:
People keep making Calgary into this major airport which it’s really not. Vancouver is a much larger city in terms of demand than Calgary.

...and?

What does one have to do with the other?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:49 am

tphuang wrote:
The entire thing is craziness. Probably all results of their delta partnership. If there is minimal demand between the two cities, why do airlines keep trying it? People keep making Calgary into this major airport which it’s really not. Vancouver is a much larger city in terms of demand than Calgary.

:checkmark: YES. Pretty soon AM will only be flying to SkyTeam hubs in the U.S. and Canada.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5179
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:42 pm

FA9295 wrote:
:checkmark: YES. Pretty soon AM will only be flying to SkyTeam hubs in the U.S. and Canada.


I don't know where you get that idea, given that AM flies to about 20 U.S./Canada destinations that aren't SkyTeam hubs. Are you a DL pilot wholly unfamiliar with relevant contract provisions?
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 1113
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:09 am

My theory is that AM started their 7 day/week service back in 2017. Then, WS saw that as competition, and started their own 7 day/week service. While demand exists, there's no way this route could support two 73G's every day of the week. So, Westjet pushed AM out of the market. Then, WS ran into their more recent troubles, overreaching with 767's, buying 787's, and bringing in new 737MAX aircraft. They were looking for fat to trim, and so they cancelled all service to MEX, including out of YVR.

Now, AM is restarting, believing that WS is unlikely to try MEX again. They are also being more conservative with only 4 flights/week. Personally, I'm okay with that.

However, I am disappointed that it's only seasonal. They will miss out on Calgary travellers looking to escape winter to Latin American destinations not served by the vacation outfits (including AC and WS vacations), and they will miss out on the Mexican tourists who want to experience winter. Clearly, they are also not looking to capitalize on business traffic. The flight schedule seems geared towards Mexican tourists. I suppose the other possibility is they are hoping to capture the summertime temporary agricultural worker traffic.
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:28 pm

aerolimani wrote:
and they will miss out on the Mexican tourists who want to experience winter.


The 2 Mexican tourists/year that want to experience winter can connect at SLC with DL.... :lol:
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 1113
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: AeroMexico return to Calgary

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:52 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
aerolimani wrote:
and they will miss out on the Mexican tourists who want to experience winter.


The 2 Mexican tourists/year that want to experience winter can connect at SLC with DL.... :lol:

Ha! :lol: Well… I think they're crazy, but I've met them; well-to-do Mexicans with romantic notions of snow. Though, maybe I was just lucky enough to meet the two you mention. :P

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos