Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Malaysia Airlines drops first class, rebrands it as Business Suites

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 am

Malaysia Airlines says it will be dropping first class from its A350 and A380 jets and rebrand it as Business Suites. Everything else that is currently received in First Class will remain the same, being food, service, seats with the exception of cost. Business Suites will be approximately halfway between the average cost of First and Business Class.

An official announcement will be made this Wednesday the 12th of December.

Malaysia Airlines is exiting the first class market and will rebrand its Airbus A380 and A350 first class cabins as an upgraded version of business class dubbed Business Suites.
This change is in name only, however – Business Suites passengers will enjoy the same meals and drinks, inflight amenities, pyjamas and even primo lounge access as they would in first class, although pricing will be pitched halfway between business and first.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airli ... ess-suites

Thoughts? Will this concept be a success or a flop?
Forum Moderator

aldrigsomandre

Re: Malaysia Airlines drops first class, rebrands it as Business Suites

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 am

What's the point of this move?
I fail to understand.

george77300

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
What's the point of this move?
I fail to understand.

I agree. What’s the point. Why not just lower the fares and still call it First? If that’s all they are changing.

ba319-131

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:34 am

Don’t understand the point, same service but cheaper.

It would have made more sense to drop F, but offer these former F seats to their/OW higher status passengers in pad J.
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

SeoulIncheon

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 am

I don't understand either - maybe Malaysian corporate travel policy that does not allow F class but allow C class was an factor...

goldorak

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:50 am

Total nonsense indeed. :confused:

SeoulIncheon wrote:
I don't understand either - maybe Malaysian corporate travel policy that does not allow F class but allow C class was an factor...

But the "new product" will still booked in original fare buckets (as per the quoted article), so companies allowing J but no F will certainly not book this business suite and, on top, it will be also more expensive than regular J.

Wingtips56

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:55 am

Probably because many companies won't fly their employees in First, but they will in Business. It's why AA flights on a two-cabin airplane are marketed F/Y domestically, but J/Y south of the border.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

VFRonTop

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:10 am

qf789 wrote:
Malaysia Airlines says it will be dropping first class from its A350 and A380 jets and rebrand it as Business Suites. Everything else that is currently received in First Class will remain the same, being food, service, seats with the exception of cost. Business Suites will be approximately halfway between the average cost of First and Business

I expect the increased level of service won’t last long. Their F proposition just wasn’t working for them and there are lots of good reasons to re-badge the product as business.
- simplified fare code/bucket structuring and management
- J+ offers a more expensive product while still being in policy for many corporate customers (vast majority of which do not allow travel in F, even when it’s cheaper than J)
- removal of the F product means no F check in, no F dedicated phone lines or teams, and potentially removal of F lounges.

moa999

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:38 am

Fair enough. It's only a 4-seat cabin, barely separated from Business, and the seat isn't substantially different.

China Eastern is going even more in this direction, with not even a wall or curtain in between

https://www.ausbt.com.au/sydney-bound-c ... ource=hero

N14AZ

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:44 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
Probably because many companies won't fly their employees in First, but they will in Business. It's why AA flights on a two-cabin airplane are marketed F/Y domestically, but J/Y south of the border.

:checkmark:
It seems as if many posters haven’t read the article - including me until I decided to do so. It says:

Why Malaysia Airlines is axing first class

Which begs the question: why change the name at all?

“We realise that with the recent economic situation a lot pf people have moved away from first class, and a lot of corporate passengers now have the limitation of not flying first class (due to) corporate policy, so we want to cater to that market and open it up,” Lau tells Australian Business Traveller.

In other words: passengers seeking a better-than-business-class experience can fly in what is ostensibly first class but book it under the more innocuous banner of Business Suites.

Another rather funny quote from that article:

Malaysia Airlines will officially launch its new Business Suites class on Wednesday December 12, and is prepared for the inevitable confusion among passengers.
Last edited by N14AZ on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoKa777

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 am

The death of F continues
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

parapente

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Thank you wingtips -took along time for someone to get it.Believe me the business community will 'get it' straight away.I can see senior exec's taking this up in a sec'.
Very clever idea imho.I bet it won't be the last too.I hope it works for them they've had a lot of gadgets luck recently and they deserve a break.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 pm

They should have done this when the first A380 was delivered!

It's about bloody time that they ditch F.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

moa999

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Don't think this would have helped the 380.
They simply can't fill it

hOMSaR

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:04 pm

goldorak wrote:
Total nonsense indeed. :confused:

SeoulIncheon wrote:

But the "new product" will still booked in original fare buckets (as per the quoted article), so companies allowing J but no F will certainly not book this business suite and, on top, it will be also more expensive than regular J.

Depending on company policy, they will often name the class of service rather than specifying "fare buckets" (which can be vastly different from airline to airline). So, a seat branded as "Business Class" with a fare bucket of F may still qualify for some companies' travel policies.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

LAX772LR

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:08 pm

george77300 wrote:
Why not just lower the fares and still call it First?

Because it's harder then to justify the fares you want for your actual J.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ewt340

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Just scrapped it already and replace it with business class. It's not like they would gain much from changing the name. The cost of running extra services for first class cabin or "Business- our first class is failing - Suite" would be useless.

QueenoftheSkies

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:14 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

You missed the whole point, they aren’t ditching F. They just aren’t calling it F anymore. So all they are doing is ditching the name.

ewt340

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:27 pm

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

You missed the whole point, they aren’t ditching F. They just aren’t calling it F anymore. So all they are doing is ditching the name.

It won't work though. The reality is that not many airlines could sustain to operate F class all year around. They could called it whatever they want but the reality is that a cheaper F class and a different name would probably do nothing for them.

Airlinerdude

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:59 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
The death of F continues

More like the consolidation of F continues...

MH dropping F from their aircraft means a loss of 72 F from its fleet. Since January '18 EK has added 106 F class seats to its fleet.

There's still a market for F considering there are a growing number of individuals with the disposable income and willingness to pay for a more premium product. But we're only going to see it offered by airlines which generate the value proposition of F and have a customer base that has a higher WTP.

LH658

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:05 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Malaysia Airlines says it will be dropping first class from its A350 and A380 jets and rebrand it as Business Suites. Everything else that is currently received in First Class will remain the same, being food, service, seats with the exception of cost. Business Suites will be approximately halfway between the average cost of First and Business

I expect the increased level of service won’t last long. Their F proposition just wasn’t working for them and there are lots of good reasons to re-badge the product as business.
- simplified fare code/bucket structuring and management
- J+ offers a more expensive product while still being in policy for many corporate customers (vast majority of which do not allow travel in F, even when it’s cheaper than J)
- removal of the F product means no F check in, no F dedicated phone lines or teams, and potentially removal of F lounges.

Thanks make sense.

QueenoftheSkies

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 pm

ewt340 wrote:
QueenoftheSkies wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

It won't work though. The reality is that not many airlines could sustain to operate F class all year around. They could called it whatever they want but the reality is that a cheaper F class and a different name would probably do nothing for them.

Never said it would work.

bzcat

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:13 am

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Yes, it's just stupid change in the marketing name for first class. But why only go half way?

Instead of Business Suite, they should call it Economy Suite. Now no one from internal audit will be able to figure out I flew first class... look the boarding pass says economy!

Airbusvoyager

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:18 am

Apparently, the F suites were often empty so they decided to put it to good use by rebranding it to Business Suites. The price will not be the same as F but at least it will be affordable and worth it.

c933103

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:19 am

Is this affected by or part of the new Malaysian government campaign that target wastefulness of its former government?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

Airbusvoyager

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:42 am

Probably, which might benefit the national carrier in the long run, especially in the event of too many unwanted upgrades :lol: :lol: :lol:

gia777

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:36 am

I blame the Airlines Industry for this, I have always thought... what;s the point of making First Class seat and features the same as Business Class. Many example for this., like SQ F and SQ J class, 1 - 2 - 1 configuration then what is the different? all same features, flat bed and to make it worse they charge twice the price of Business Class. Not just SQ, tons of airlines.... 1 - 2 - 1 Layout should be only for F, J class should be 2 - 2 - 2, Y+ should be 2 - 4 - 2, Y should be 3 - 3- 3 or 3 - 4 - 3 therefore the price for each class will not be soaring high. More passenger will appreciate the F than before. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers,

GIA777 :coffee:

moa999

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:03 am

That horse has bolted. Pax want all aisle access in Business. First will disappear apart from the super luxury cabin style.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos