Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Topic Author
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Tunisair have returned a stored 737-600 to service and it now wears a 1960s style livery.

www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main ... icid=10337
 
FCOTSTW
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:54 pm

That tail pattern is very Air France-like from the 60s... with the difference of being red, rather than blue.

Still, a very striking livery!
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:23 pm

The retro cheat line very much resembles that of Trans Canada Air, a livery dating from the 50s. Air Canada applied that scheme as retro livery on one of their A319s.



Nice to see another airline joining the retrojet club, as always.
Ben Soriano
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10892
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
That tail pattern is very Air France-like from the 60s... with the difference of being red, rather than blue.

Still, a very striking livery!

Not a coincidence. Tunisair when formed was partially owned by Air France, and their initial planes were transferred from AF. Tunisair’s first livery (the one depicted in the retro jet) is basically AF’s livery from the 40s with the blue painted red and the deer (sorry don’t know specifically what animal it is) logo replacing AF’s sea horse logo.
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1453
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Polot wrote:
Tunisair’s first livery (the one depicted in the retro jet) is basically AF’s livery from the 40s with the blue painted red and the deer (sorry don’t know specifically what animal it is) logo replacing AF’s sea horse logo.


I believe it's a representation of a scimitar oryx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar_oryx
 
LH658
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:00 pm

How many airlines fly the 737-600?
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Topic Author
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 pm

LH658 wrote:
How many airlines fly the 737-600?


EG&G, SAS, Tunisair, Westjet
 
FlyingMSY
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:15 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
LH658 wrote:
How many airlines fly the 737-600?


EG&G, SAS, Tunisair, Westjet


And Air Algerie.
Last edited by FlyingMSY on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
FlyingMSY
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
LH658 wrote:
How many airlines fly the 737-600?


EG&G, SAS, Tunisair, Westjet


And Air Algerie.
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 pm

FlyingMSY wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:
LH658 wrote:
How many airlines fly the 737-600?


EG&G, SAS, Tunisair, Westjet


And Air Algerie.


I believe that Malev also did.
Ben Soriano
 
User avatar
DohwanKim747
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 pm

American 767 wrote:
FlyingMSY wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

EG&G, SAS, Tunisair, Westjet


And Air Algerie.


I believe that Malev also did.


Eastar Jet did operate a few at one point, and don't forget JANET
 
User avatar
SRQKEF
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 pm

DohwanKim747 wrote:
American 767 wrote:
FlyingMSY wrote:

And Air Algerie.


I believe that Malev also did.


Eastar Jet did operate a few at one point, and don't forget JANET


EG&G = Janet.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!
 
airzona11
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Great looking livery. Really like the 736 too!
 
User avatar
DohwanKim747
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Also, FlyGlobeSpan and Europa were operators at one point or another.
 
FlyingMSY
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:01 am

Since we're going with past operators, Austrian, Air China (and China Southwest) and Midwest Airlines of Egypt also should be included.
Soon SAS will join that number.
 
User avatar
zululima
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:21 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:29 am

Speaking of "Janet", I think it's funny how similar their livery is to the new retrojet. Must be a 737-600 peer pressure kind of thing. Tunisair wants to sit with the cool kids at lunch.
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2531
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:13 am

zululima wrote:
Speaking of "Janet", I think it's funny how similar their livery is to the new retrojet. Must be a 737-600 peer pressure kind of thing. Tunisair wants to sit with the cool kids at lunch.


Clever... You are right about the similarities!
I like this retro jet design and am thrilled that it's on a usually 'forgotten' type of jet. I truly hope that I can add a 1/400 model of this jet to my collection, parked alongside the only other 737-600 in it, a Lauda one.
Cheers,
Bunumruing
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
debonair
Posts: 3905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:46 am

FCOTSTW wrote:
That tail pattern is very Air France-like from the 60s... with the difference of being red, rather than blue.

Still, a very striking livery!


Tunis Air was a joint venture between the Tunisian government and Air France - the retro design goes back to the original 4 Dakota's!

http://www.tunisair.com/site/publish/co ... 74&Lang=en
 
debonair
Posts: 3905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:46 am

FCOTSTW wrote:
That tail pattern is very Air France-like from the 60s... with the difference of being red, rather than blue.

Still, a very striking livery!


Tunis Air was a joint venture between the Tunisian government and Air France - the retro design goes back to the original 4 Dakota's!

http://www.tunisair.com/site/publish/co ... 74&Lang=en
 
User avatar
LH748
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 am

Nice although I also like the regular TU livery anyway
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW
 
User avatar
zululima
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:21 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:45 am

I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!
 
Max Q
Posts: 8571
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:12 am

Looks great

Interesting that most of these retro liveries look much better than most modern ones
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:39 am

Max Q wrote:
Looks great

Interesting that most of these retro liveries look much better than most modern ones


:checkmark:

Bingo Sir!

Couldn't agree more.

They were simple, stylish and DID actually suit the sleek, flowing lines of the aircraft fuselage, unlike the many modern 'pastiches' we see today....
 
Max Q
Posts: 8571
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:35 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Looks great

Interesting that most of these retro liveries look much better than most modern ones


:checkmark:

Bingo Sir!

Couldn't agree more.

They were simple, stylish and DID actually suit the sleek, flowing lines of the aircraft fuselage, unlike the many modern 'pastiches' we see today....



That’s right, you hit the nail on the head


Simple, understated and elegant worked well


Singapore Airlines

BOAC

THAI

Cathay Pacific

Varig

AA, polished aluminum



In the ‘70’s to name just a few, Classic liveries



Now look at today’s AA ‘livery’

What a disaster, to name just one
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
TN486
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:24 am

Yes, it was the cheat lines that made it. Now, I think fuselages are made of "vanilla ice cream" (colour wise) YUK
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:39 am

TN486 wrote:
Yes, it was the cheat lines that made it. Now, I think fuselages are made of "vanilla ice cream" (colour wise) YUK


:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Cheat lines :thumbsup:

This retro scheme is so simple and neat, but it suits the aircraft perfectly.
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6488
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Max Q wrote:

AA, polished aluminum
Now look at today’s AA ‘livery’
What a disaster, to name just one


I couldn't agree more. I remember, as a young lad, peddling my bike to the roof of T1 in YYZ to watch planes. When AA changed their livery from the orange lightning bolt to the red/white/blue stripe (Yeah, I am that old), I thought it was the most modern/handsome scheme around. That fresh look lasted right up till it was painted over with today's abomination. I love seeing MD80s today in the better scheme.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
FatCat
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:23 pm

the small 600 looks very nice in retro livery.
my fav was EI-IXI, scrapped in 2005.

Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2876
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Tunisair join the retrojet club

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:50 pm

longhauler wrote:
Max Q wrote:

AA, polished aluminum
Now look at today’s AA ‘livery’
What a disaster, to name just one


I couldn't agree more. I remember, as a young lad, peddling my bike to the roof of T1 in YYZ to watch planes. When AA changed their livery from the orange lightning bolt to the red/white/blue stripe (Yeah, I am that old), I thought it was the most modern/handsome scheme around. That fresh look lasted right up till it was painted over with today's abomination. I love seeing MD80s today in the better scheme.


Fortunately for AA they've kept their heritage liveries, so even after the last of the 80s are gone, there will still be one 737 in the bare metal scheme...plus the 737 Astrojet! You just have to be lucky enough to live in a place where they fly them to and be even luckier to be in the right place at the right time to see one of them.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos