Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6193
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Also, where are the aircraft coming from?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
IADCA
Posts: 2191
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:43 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
United seems to certainly have found a love story with the SFO market. I thought a SFO-India route was in the works. UA seems to be the only US carrier that knows how to make money flying to India. MEL doesn't surprise me either. I don't really get SFO-AMS, but I guess they've found a niche there. I'm surprised that they have not attempted any more Euro markets out of IAH.


SFO-AMS is a bit of an opportunity partly because of KL pulling the 747 off, which impacts both pax and cargo.

IAH to Europe is ~5,000 miles each way, and it comes pretty close route wise to 2 UA hubs in IAD and EWR (heck, even ORD) in addition to nearly overflying YYZ and YUL, where JV partner AC flies a lot of TATL. That's a lot of intra-company competition.
 
tkoenig95
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:43 pm

An east coast EWR announcement for SFO expansion. Lol way too much hype for this mediocre announcement.
 
United1
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:43 pm

NYPECO wrote:
How was this historic though?


largest organic expansion out of SFO in UA history.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
LupineChemist
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Doesn't this strengthen the case for granting the QF/AA JV? May have been better to wait since if that got denied again it was going to be dead.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 pm

PER-LHR was historic; first regularly scheduled nonstop flight between Australia and Europe, ever, and claiming all other accolades (I.e., first Australian airline to fly it nonstop, first nonstop flight between UK and Australia, etc).

Certainly the historic part is all the adds, but no route in particular is “historic”. SFO-DEL is already flown; this is just new paint on the route, or at least historic for the airline alone, but not for SFO. United already flies to Delhi, or did in the past (would have to check if EWR-DEL is still flown). Even SFO-SIN was a worthy add, or IAH-SYD for all the hype.

But good news anyways. SFO-DEL is pretty long.
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 pm

A bit underwhelming given this was presented as 'historic', but still impressive growth out of SFO. They are really humming in that market.

Was hoping for something EWR related, but after getting the first set of B78J routes I can't be too greedy.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 pm

I am SHOCKED there is no SFO-SGN. I would think that could EASILY be done 5x weekly. I just HATE the super long connections to get there. Takes FOR-E-V-E-R!
 
User avatar
Continental767
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:46 pm

The 787-9 is an extremely capable aircraft. Excited to see that it is being pushed more and more.
Indianapolis.
 
N649DL
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:46 pm

A lot of smoke and mirrors from UA management once again. I guess by "historic" they are adding a recent cut SFO-YYZ back. I love the hyping up for the BLR posts and instead SFO-DEL is added.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:46 pm

FSDan wrote:
avi8 wrote:
https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/1072903033657397249

"In 2019, United will add seven nonstop international routes: daily Melbourne (Australia), daily New Delhi, twice daily Toronto, daily Amsterdam, second daily to Seoul, year-round Tahiti and Auckland"


So a mix of new stuff (MEL, DEL, YYZ, second ICN) with some already-announced stuff to make it look like a bigger announcement.

Will MEL and DEL be year-round? That makes quite a bit of capacity on SFO-DEL with AI already being more than daily.

I would have preferred to see EWR-ICN over a second daily SFO-ICN.


According to UA's press release MEL-SFO will be year round. 3 weekly sounds like a good start with QF already on the route which only started in September, QF LF's for September on MEL-SFO came in around 80%
Forum Moderator
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:47 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Also, where are the aircraft coming from?


Good question.

The 77Es I would guess come from the EWR routes that are moving to B78J.

The 789's though, I'm unclear?
 
YYZflyboy
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:50 pm

TWA302 wrote:
I am SHOCKED there is no SFO-SGN. I would think that could EASILY be done 5x weekly. I just HATE the super long connections to get there. Takes FOR-E-V-E-R!


Connect via SIN on SQ.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4164
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Are there any hidden downgrades or reductions as a part of this?
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:55 pm

TWA302 wrote:
I am SHOCKED there is no SFO-SGN. I would think that could EASILY be done 5x weekly. I just HATE the super long connections to get there. Takes FOR-E-V-E-R!


There's not much question whether the plane can get filled or not. It's a matter whether UA can used their relatively limited resources (i.e. long-haul fleet) on a route that's just not that high yield.

You should see VN flying to LAX or SFO sooner or later, though.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3628
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:55 pm

sabby wrote:
Do they have a spare 789 ? SFO-BLR could be one.


That would take 3 789's to operate due to time & distance. Would be better & cheaper cost to serve from EWR. Also with that range they would have to block seats which raises op cost even more. Also it may not be able to fly BLR-SFO that route based on climate at BLR. Gets hot there and the plane is really stretching its range.
Last edited by rbavfan on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6193
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:58 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Are there any hidden downgrades or reductions as a part of this?


There definitely will be, but airlines dont announce those.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:59 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Also, where are the aircraft coming from?


Good question.

The 77Es I would guess come from the EWR routes that are moving to B78J.

The 789's though, I'm unclear?


As noted earlier in the thread, there was some wiggle room in the 772 fleet. I'm guessing this new SFO-ICN service will be on Polaris-equipped aircraft, similar to SFO-CDG, SFO-FRA, SFO-PEK, and SFO-AKL.

Regarding the 789s, for SFO-MEL to be year-round, they'll need to swap some other route from a 789 to something else. Plenty of options to choose from that could move from a 789 to a 772: SFO-HND, one of the SFO-PVG frequencies, etc. The new DEL service sounds like it will be winter-only, so there might be some slack from summer seasonal routes. SFO-MUC, for example.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Also, I just want to note that whoever wrote up the UA press release didn't do all their research:

"With this new flight, United will be the first U.S. carrier to fly between California and Amsterdam."

Nope. DL's been flying LAX-AMS since last summer. Swap "California" with "the Bay Area", and it's correct.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
codc10
Posts: 2899
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Connecting dots. Lots of new flying, which is good, but the "historic" aspect is clearly the volume of new service coming SFO's way in 2019.

It's true, "historic" in the sense of the largest single-day announcement of new SFO international flying, but it's little bit oversold, IMO, especially how they repackage previously-announced additions as "new".
 
paulduwon
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:29 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:09 pm

I’m raising my eyebrow at the second SFO-ICN.
I think ever since SQ left, it’s their move to fill in the niche (KE did the same thing), but I personally thought ORD-ICN woul’ve been a smarter move.
It’s been a long-needed flight for UA, in my opinion.
 
h2oflyguy
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:26 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:10 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Are there any hidden downgrades or reductions as a part of this?



Good question - LAXSIN was cut so UA could have SFOSIN! Could this SFOMEL service used to cut the LAX-MEL flight. Even though there are tonnes of LA locals that take the N/S.
 
xxcr
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:12 pm

According to TPG, here are the new routes and additions out of SFO.

The following routes or frequencies will be added from SFO in 2019:

San Francisco (SFO) – Melbourne (MEL) — 3x weekly
San Francisco (SFO) – New Delhi (DEL) — daily
San Francisco (SFO) – Toronto (YYZ) — 2x daily
San Francisco (SFO) – Amsterdam (AMS) — daily
San Francisco (SFO) – Seoul (ICN) — second flight, 4x weekly
San Francisco (SFO) – Auckland (AKL) — becoming year-round
San Francisco (SFO) – Tahiti (PPT) — becoming year round

Im guessing these routes will be flown either a 772 or 788/789.
 
master14225
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:14 pm

I knew it, I knew this had something to do with AC hubs. UA was smart to add 2X daily on SFO-YYZ. That route is growing as YYZ is a AC hub and could be a way for UA to get pax to connect to Europe.
 
h2oflyguy
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:26 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 pm

FSDan wrote:
Also, I just want to note that whoever wrote up the UA press release didn't do all their research:

"With this new flight, United will be the first U.S. carrier to fly between California and Amsterdam."

Nope. DL's been flying LAX-AMS since last summer. Swap "California" with "the Bay Area", and it's correct.


"historically UA did fly SFO-AMS in the 90's" nothing to see here, keep moving along
 
codc10
Posts: 2899
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm

h2oflyguy wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
Are there any hidden downgrades or reductions as a part of this?



Good question - LAXSIN was cut so UA could have SFOSIN! Could this SFOMEL service used to cut the LAX-MEL flight. Even though there are tonnes of LA locals that take the N/S.


LAXMEL stays, daily service. SFOMEL is only 3x/weekly to start.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4164
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:23 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
Are there any hidden downgrades or reductions as a part of this?


There definitely will be, but airlines dont announce those.

AA did (at least internally) during their S19 International announcement a few months ago.
 
jmscsc
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Well, that was a dud of an announcement. A lot of hype, in my humble opinion.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3628
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:30 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
Doesn't this strengthen the case for granting the QF/AA JV? May have been better to wait since if that got denied again it was going to be dead.


Why would it strenghen the case to allow the JV so they can work together to block out a competition.
 
Myriad
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:28 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:35 pm

How easy is it to get to the New Delhi airport for a 4AM departure?
 
jayunited
Posts: 2976
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:35 pm

[quote="FSDan"
As noted earlier in the thread, there was some wiggle room in the 772 fleet. I'm guessing this new SFO-ICN service will be on Polaris-equipped aircraft, similar to SFO-CDG, SFO-FRA, SFO-PEK, and SFO-AKL.

Regarding the 789s, for SFO-MEL to be year-round, they'll need to swap some other route from a 789 to something else. Plenty of options to choose from that could move from a 789 to a 772: SFO-HND, one of the SFO-PVG frequencies, etc. The new DEL service sounds like it will be winter-only, so there might be some slack from summer seasonal routes. SFO-MUC, for example.[/quote]

DEL is going to be year around according to the release.

As far as where the aircraft are coming from I think the 78J's on transcon fights will be short lived UA is going to need those 78J's at EWR to free up some 77E's which would be moved to SFO to take over some 789 routes.

UA has already announced what many consider to be an aggressive Polaris installation schedule, which this rapid growth of international traffic from SFO and the addition of IAD-TLV my only hope is that the schedule holds.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6313
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:36 pm

jmscsc wrote:
Well, that was a dud of an announcement. A lot of hype, in my humble opinion.


Gezus, the negativism of some of you guys is something else. What were you all expecting? SFO-India and SFO to a second Australia city and other additions.

What exactly would not be a dud to you guys? Announcing service to the moon?
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Indeed, very underwhelming considering they're "reannouncing" many previously announced routes. It was more PR fluff than anything. I will say, I think some of the routes suggested will remain nothing but pipe dreams. SFO-SGN/BKK are both very long routes, without the sort of business component that UA can rely on to fly SFO-SIN. And the jury is still out on all these ULH flights. Certainly some of them have been very succesfull (i.e. QF reporting that PER-LHR is going gangbusters), but I'm willing to bet a large number of these routes are overall money losers for airlines. Yes UA does have a larger Asia network than either DL or AA, but I think there's also a very good reason why UA is the only one of the big three even attempting any of these flights; by and large, they're probably money pits.

sonicruiser wrote:
I guess lightning does strike twice. First at EWR, now at SFO. Whatever it is, you're right, UA is the only US carrier that has figured out how to make money to India, but they're on a hot streak with ULH routes, much moreso than either DL or AA so not surprised to see UA taking the lead here.

??? SFO-DEL hasn't even flown yet, and won't fly until December of next year, so it's certainly premature to call it a money maker. As I said above, I think there's a reason UA is the only one of the big three US carriers chasing ULH routes; they're not the money makers most people on here assume them to be.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
DylanHarvey
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Myriad wrote:
How easy is it to get to the New Delhi airport for a 4AM departure?

I tried to get there around 3-4 hours before. The lines sometimes stretch out of the terminal. Be prepared to wait. That is from my personal experience at DEL.
 
master14225
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Also YVR-MEL is 4x weekly on AC 787. More frequency than SFO-MEL.

codc10 wrote:
h2oflyguy wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
Are there any hidden downgrades or reductions as a part of this?



Good question - LAXSIN was cut so UA could have SFOSIN! Could this SFOMEL service used to cut the LAX-MEL flight. Even though there are tonnes of LA locals that take the N/S.


LAXMEL stays, daily service. SFOMEL is only 3x/weekly to start.
 
sabby
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:42 pm

rbavfan wrote:
sabby wrote:
Do they have a spare 789 ? SFO-BLR could be one.


That would take 3 789's to operate due to time & distance. Would be better & cheaper cost to serve from EWR. Also with that range they would have to block seats which raises op cost even more. Also it may not be able to fly BLR-SFO that route based on climate at BLR. Gets hot there and the plane is really stretching its range.


Yes, SFO-BLR is very long at 7561nm still air. But United have the contracts at SF companies and the city pair has very good business traffic who would pay premium for a non-stop. I was thinking a single 789 doing 2/3 weekly service could be very successful. The route is close to the pole so minimal effect from jetstreams. It is true that BLR gets hot but it has very cool temperature in the late evening / night so that shouldn't impact performance that much and the runway is pretty long (13000ft+) anyway. United have a premium heavy config on the 789 so it should be fine even if this would be at the edge of the 789 capability. Perhaps if/when they firm up and get delivery of the A350s and demand grows even more, UA would finally be bold enough to connect the two IT hubs.
 
caliboy93
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Part of me was guessing SFO-Moscow or SFO-FCO.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:48 pm

By my count, that makes 59 new routes announced in or started in 2018.

DEN - ACV
DEN - ATW
DEN - CHS
DEN - CNY
DEN - FAI
DEN - FRA
DEN - JAX
DEN - LHR
DEN - MMH
DEN - MRY
DEN - ORF
DEN - PAE
DEN - PRC
DEN - VEL
EWR - ELM
EWR - HHH
EWR - NAP
EWR - PNS
EWR - PQI
EWR - PRG
EWR - RAP
IAD - AVP
IAD - CHA
IAD - HHH
IAD - ILM
IAD - ITH
IAD - LWB
IAD - MIA
IAD - PBG
IAD - SHD
IAD - TLV
IAH - CAK
LAX - ACV
LAX - EUG
LAX - FCA
LAX - MFR
LAX - MMH
LAX - MSN
LAX - MSO
LAX - PRC
LAX - PSC
LAX - RDM
LAX - SUN
ORD - BIS
ORD - BJX
ORD - BRO
ORD - ELP
ORD - FAT
ORD - HHH
ORD - ILM
ORD - SHD
ORD - SLN
SFO - AMS
SFO - CMH
SFO - DEL
SFO - MEL
SFO - MSN
SFO - PAE
SFO - YYZ
 
musman9853
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:55 pm

slightly off topic, but has united announced what they're doing with their 767s? replacing them with 787s could go a long way to open up new routes from all their hubs
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
NW
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:55 pm

"With this new flight, United will be the first U.S. carrier to fly between California and Amsterdam."

Does United really not know Delta already serves LAX/AMS nonstop?
DL78 LAX/AMS
 
BlatantEcho
Posts: 2132
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:11 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Lemieux wrote:
Good authority it’s IAH-JNB #confirmed


This was my favorite totally incorrect post of the thread.
Loved the hashtag too, as if that added validity.
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:59 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
Maybe at least one of the following:
1. ORD -> BNE/SYD
2. EWR -> AKL/BNE
3. IAH -> CPT/JNB
4. SFO -> GIG/GRU
5. others?


As a general note, I think you see about as much AU as UA can handle at the moment. I think they are just barely making the existing bump in capacity work I don’t think you’ll see any further expansion in the near term
 
User avatar
kjeld0d
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:59 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
An east coast EWR announcement for SFO expansion. Lol way too much hype for this mediocre announcement.


Now I really feel stupid for taking the day off work...
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:08 pm

adamblang wrote:
By my count, that makes 59 new routes announced in or started in 2018.

DEN - ACV
DEN - ATW
DEN - CHS
DEN - CNY
DEN - FAI
DEN - FRA
DEN - JAX
DEN - LHR
DEN - MMH
DEN - MRY
DEN - ORF
DEN - PAE
DEN - PRC
DEN - VEL
EWR - ELM
EWR - HHH
EWR - NAP
EWR - PNS
EWR - PQI
EWR - PRG
EWR - RAP
IAD - AVP
IAD - CHA
IAD - HHH
IAD - ILM
IAD - ITH
IAD - LWB
IAD - MIA
IAD - PBG
IAD - SHD
IAD - TLV
IAH - CAK
LAX - ACV
LAX - EUG
LAX - FCA
LAX - MFR
LAX - MMH
LAX - MSN
LAX - MSO
LAX - PRC
LAX - PSC
LAX - RDM
LAX - SUN
ORD - BIS
ORD - BJX
ORD - BRO
ORD - ELP
ORD - FAT
ORD - HHH
ORD - ILM
ORD - SHD
ORD - SLN
SFO - AMS
SFO - CMH
SFO - DEL
SFO - MEL
SFO - MSN
SFO - PAE
SFO - YYZ



IAH-SYD was started in January of 2018 IIRC.
 
UALifer
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:35 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:13 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
adamblang wrote:
By my count, that makes 59 new routes announced in or started in 2018.

DEN - ACV
DEN - ATW
DEN - CHS
DEN - CNY
DEN - FAI
DEN - FRA
DEN - JAX
DEN - LHR
DEN - MMH
DEN - MRY
DEN - ORF
DEN - PAE
DEN - PRC
DEN - VEL
EWR - ELM
EWR - HHH
EWR - NAP
EWR - PNS
EWR - PQI
EWR - PRG
EWR - RAP
IAD - AVP
IAD - CHA
IAD - HHH
IAD - ILM
IAD - ITH
IAD - LWB
IAD - MIA
IAD - PBG
IAD - SHD
IAD - TLV
IAH - CAK
LAX - ACV
LAX - EUG
LAX - FCA
LAX - MFR
LAX - MMH
LAX - MSN
LAX - MSO
LAX - PRC
LAX - PSC
LAX - RDM
LAX - SUN
ORD - BIS
ORD - BJX
ORD - BRO
ORD - ELP
ORD - FAT
ORD - HHH
ORD - ILM
ORD - SHD
ORD - SLN
SFO - AMS
SFO - CMH
SFO - DEL
SFO - MEL
SFO - MSN
SFO - PAE
SFO - YYZ



IAH-SYD was started in January of 2018 IIRC.


IAH-DAY started June 2018 as well. And SFO-FAI has been announced for June 2019.
 
jayunited
Posts: 2976
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:15 pm

h2oflyguy wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
Are there any hidden downgrades or reductions as a part of this?



Good question - LAXSIN was cut so UA could have SFOSIN! Could this SFOMEL service used to cut the LAX-MEL flight. Even though there are tonnes of LA locals that take the N/S.


UA isn't cutting LAX-MEL, the new SFO flight is in addition to our current LAX-MEL flight. As far as SIN, UA cut LAX because the 789 is not the right aircraft for the route and we were routinely weight restricted on both legs on a year around basis. The flight was moved to SFO which allowed UA to go daily double out of SFO. While I don't have access to see if yields have suffered as a result of us going daily double what I do know is we are averaging a strong load factors and we are able to accommodate a lot more freight out of SFO something we weren't doing out of LAX because of weight restrictions.

Now in order to make these flights work there will be some downguages and movement of widebody equipment around the fleet but lets not forget UA will have 9 78Js in the fleet by summer which has freed up some widebody equiptment. After this latest announcement I don't see UA leaving the 78Js on EWR-LAX/SFO routes for very long. I think by early or mid summer all those aircraft will be permanently assigned to TATL routes out of EWR.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3628
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:16 pm

TWA302 wrote:
I am SHOCKED there is no SFO-SGN. I would think that could EASILY be done 5x weekly. I just HATE the super long connections to get there. Takes FOR-E-V-E-R!


SGN is not a big US destination yet. Also they still do not meet FAA specs so no new service between US is allowed until they do. Under this guidline even United cannot restart their old route via NRT.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:37 pm

jayunited wrote:
FSDan wrote:
As noted earlier in the thread, there was some wiggle room in the 772 fleet. I'm guessing this new SFO-ICN service will be on Polaris-equipped aircraft, similar to SFO-CDG, SFO-FRA, SFO-PEK, and SFO-AKL.

Regarding the 789s, for SFO-MEL to be year-round, they'll need to swap some other route from a 789 to something else. Plenty of options to choose from that could move from a 789 to a 772: SFO-HND, one of the SFO-PVG frequencies, etc. The new DEL service sounds like it will be winter-only, so there might be some slack from summer seasonal routes. SFO-MUC, for example.


DEL is going to be year around according to the release.


That's not what I'm seeing. https://hub.united.com/united-announces-sfo-route-expansion--2623210816.html

"San Francisco to New Delhi, India

United's new seasonal service between San Francisco and New Delhi enables business and leisure travelers nonstop access from the U.S. West Coast. The new flight will connect customers from more than 80 cities to India with just one stop in San Francisco. United currently offers nonstop service to Mumbai and New Delhi from New York/Newark. Seasonal service begins on December 5, 2019, with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft."

jayunited wrote:
As far as where the aircraft are coming from I think the 78J's on transcon fights will be short lived UA is going to need those 78J's at EWR to free up some 77E's which would be moved to SFO to take over some 789 routes.

UA has already announced what many consider to be an aggressive Polaris installation schedule, which this rapid growth of international traffic from SFO and the addition of IAD-TLV my only hope is that the schedule holds.


I really don't think UA has to scramble that much to fit these flights into the schedule. The two ULH routes don't start until after the busy summer season, and the previously unannounced additional SFO-ICN flight is on the one 772 subfleet that should actually have some slack this summer. I checked the seatmaps loaded on united.com and it is, as I expected, showing to be operated by a Polaris-equipped 772. By my reckoning the currently published schedule for that subfleet will require 11 frames, and there should be 14 complete by summer.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:38 pm

xxcr wrote:
According to TPG, here are the new routes and additions out of SFO.

The following routes or frequencies will be added from SFO in 2019:

San Francisco (SFO) – Melbourne (MEL) — 3x weekly
San Francisco (SFO) – New Delhi (DEL) — daily
San Francisco (SFO) – Toronto (YYZ) — 2x daily
San Francisco (SFO) – Amsterdam (AMS) — daily
San Francisco (SFO) – Seoul (ICN) — second flight, 4x weekly
San Francisco (SFO) – Auckland (AKL) — becoming year-round
San Francisco (SFO) – Tahiti (PPT) — becoming year round

Im guessing these routes will be flown either a 772 or 788/789.


Well, congratulations to SFO, but yawn for the rest of us. All good, but "historic"? No.
 
simpv
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 pm

I think there is too much negativity towards UA on this. Sure, some of the routes were already announced, but UA is the only US airline with nonstops to India, and the only one to fly to MEL and PPT. They've also done expansion at SFO domestically to places like PAE, CMH, and FAI. If DL had done this, this forum would have melted down by now.

Plus, I think what UA is doing enables other partner airlines to do what they do. By flying SFO-AKL and SFO-YYZ, NZ and AC can free up some of their frames for other--sexier--routes. So congrats to UA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos