DLD9S
Topic Author

Icelandair pulling out of DFW

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread that I missed, but it seems that FI is pulling out of DFW as summer 2019 are no longer available to book.

It is no secret that a lot of people were expecting overcapacity when WW, FI and AA all announced DFW-KEF for summer 2018. While Wow has not officially declared they are not returning next year, it seems improbable considering their financial state and lack of A330s. I was hoping that FI was going to remain when they re-timed their flight so the aircraft didn't need to RON, but that does not seem to be the case. I am sure the $300-$400 basic economy fares on the legacy carriers from DFW to Scandinavia next summer have not helped.

Does anything think AA will remain on the route now that their Icelandic competitors are dropping out? I always thought if AA really wanted to serve KEF they would do it from ORD or JFK.
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

AVENSAB727

Re: Icelandair pulling out of DFW

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Ditching DFW and moving down to IAH?
Always look on the bright side of Life!

TC957

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Looks to me that AA have got their wish and muscled WW & FI out of town.

YoungDon

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:54 pm

TC957 wrote:
Looks to me that AA have got their wish and muscled WW & FI out of town.

Pretty much. Maybe they'll still fly the KEF route though. It does seem like a route that makes more sense out of other hubs, but who knows, they have the connection flow at DFW to perhaps make it work.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Well crap. I have a flight booked on FI from KEF-DFW on June 5th. Has it been officially cancelled?
Whatever

FSDan

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Yeah, I'm interested to see how long DFW-KEF will stay on AA. When they started the route it was obviously a competitive response. Unless there's a strong and high yielding local market (doubtful), or they're getting lots of connections from SAT, AUS, and IAH, I would expect AA to drop this route before long.

I could see them moving it to PHL - it's a better positioned hub for connections to Europe, and they could try to drive FI out there as well.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I just called Icelandair to inquire about changing our return flight on June 5th and the lady states it is still running and flight is completely full, which is why it's no longer bookable on that date. I find it very hard to believe and didn't feel like arguing with her anymore so I have to wait until I get the 'official email'.

Take that for what it's worth.
Whatever

YoungDon

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:20 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
I just called Icelandair to inquire about changing our return flight on June 5th and the lady states it is still running and flight is completely full, which is why it's no longer bookable on that date. I find it very hard to believe and didn't feel like arguing with her anymore so I have to wait until I get the 'official email'.

I just tried a random pair of dates in July and no nonstops available. I guess they haven't officially pulled the plug yet, but the writing seems to be on the wall.

LHUSA

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:21 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

My guess is that they've zeroed out the inventory making her think it was full. Typically done when an airline cancels a route.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:27 pm

LHUSA wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

My guess is that they've zeroed out the inventory making her think it was full. Typically done when an airline cancels a route.

Yep, I agree. I tried to reason that with her, but to no avail. She was very robotic. I'll just await the email and then call back. This happened on the outbound as well - exact same situation. About a day after they refused to change anything because 'the flight was still operating', I got an email of a schedule change. I suspect it will be coming soon.

I wonder what options they will provide as we will actually be flying CDG-KEF-DFW that day. I guess time will tell.
Whatever

clrd4t8koff

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:27 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

What's odd is that ExpertFlyer shows FI 873 operating KEF-DFW on June 5th and it's wide open, but it won't show any data looking at the return flight on June 5th DFW-KEF on FI 872.

Bigant0408

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:30 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

Yea I highly doubt any flights are full for next June as of right now so pretty much sounds like they'll be canceling this route for sure.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

SunsetLimited

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Better to move that plane to someplace like BNA which doesn’t have as much competition.
Spread hope like fire.

msycajun

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:36 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Better to move that plane to someplace like BNA which doesn’t have as much competition.

Shhh...we need a fall-spring LCC service at MSY first.

RJNUT

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:52 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Yep, I agree. I tried to reason that with her, but to no avail. She was very robotic. I'll just await the email and then call back. This happened on the outbound as well - exact same situation. About a day after they refused to change anything because 'the flight was still operating', I got an email of a schedule change. I suspect it will be coming soon.

I wonder what options they will provide as we will actually be flying CDG-KEF-DFW that day. I guess time will tell.

Website shows Jun 4th or 6th departure with 5 hour connex in SEA and then redeye on AS to DFW!

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:20 pm

RJNUT wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
LHUSA wrote:

Website shows Jun 4th or 6th departure with 5 hour connex in SEA and then redeye on AS to DFW!

I saw those options, but they really won't work. We need to be back home on the 5th. Hoping they will route us a different route. On the outbound, we are on AA vis MSP, which doesn't show up online.
Whatever

RJNUT

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:43 pm

if they can route you to DEN or MSP you can pick up your own cheepo flight on Frontier or Spirit that makes connections, otherwise good luck!

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:54 pm

RJNUT wrote:
if they can route you to DEN or MSP you can pick up your own cheepo flight on Frontier or Spirit that makes connections, otherwise good luck!

They will be paying to get me all the way home. There is a flight that gets to ORD at 6:15 pm, then an AA flights from ORD-DFW at 8:45 pm. This would work well and will do my best to get this flight once I get the 'official notification'.
Whatever

RJNUT

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

They will be paying to get me all the way home. There is a flight that gets to ORD at 6:15 pm, then an AA flights from ORD-DFW at 8:45 pm. This would work well and will do my best to get this flight once I get the 'official notification'.

that should work . I forget about ORD on them!

MAH4546

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:40 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Not sure what Icelandair's official policy is, but they are only obligated to give you a refund or fly you to an alternate gateway of your choice.
a.

zm093

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
Ditching DFW and moving down to IAH?

One can hope!

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Not sure what Icelandair's official policy is, but they are only obligated to give you a refund or fly you to an alternate gateway of your choice.

I'm not sure what the confusion is. I do not need an alternate gateway. They are able to get me to my destination (no change) if going through ORD. This is the exact same thing they did on my outbound, except that it is through MSP. It will be a very reasonable request.
Whatever

rajincajun01

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Come on down to AUS Icelandair!
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Still no email, but I called back and am on the line now. After some screaming and hollering, they are currently changing my flights to the ones I want, even though their system still doesn't show that the flight (DFW) has been cancelled.

He's processing the change now.
Whatever

mfe777

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Is anybody else a little skeptical that this may just be a system/filing error or maybe an equipment change (maybe an upgauge to 767 now that WOW is collapsing and off the route)? The flights have been bookable for year-round service, well into the summer next year, and suddenly all flights after next week are not bookable. No announcement of cancellation (and so sudden?). Airline employees saying the route is not cancelled. And why cancel now when Wow's impending collapse just took an A330 full of competition off the route?

They could be cancelling the route, but I'm skeptical. The circumstances are not usually how airlines do it. They now have to re-accommodate months worth of bookings if they're doing this. That will be costly.

EDIT: Some dates in late Dec are bookable at very high cost (~$4k to London in economy), as well as first week of January. Not bookable after that. How often do airlines cancel a route with 3 week notice, especially one that was doing pretty well for being a new route?
Last edited by mfe777 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RJNUT

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:31 pm

mfe777 wrote:

They could be cancelling the route, but I'm skeptical. The circumstances are not usually how airlines do it. They now have to re-accommodate months worth of bookings if they're doing this. That will be costly.

RE: the reaccom policy, most will accept the refund or alt. gateway, i imagine , not as savvy as Friscoheavy in their requests for alternates?!

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 pm

mfe777 wrote:
Is anybody else a little skeptical that this may just be a system/filing error or maybe an equipment change (maybe an upgauge to 767 now that WOW is collapsing and off the route)? The flights have been bookable for year-round service, well into the summer next year, and suddenly all flights after next week are not bookable. No announcement of cancellation (and so sudden?). Airline employees saying the route is not cancelled. And why cancel now when Wow's impending collapse just took an A330 full of competition off the route?

Perhaps you are correct. I'm surprised too given the high load factors of WOW and FI. I know loads do not equal profits, but seems like with loads that high and one less carrier, they could raise prices a little and make it work. Anyway, I was impatient and unwilling to test it since really, there is only one option that would get us home the same day (via ORD).

Routing is now: CDG-KEF-ORD(FI) - DFW (AA) on June 5th, 2019.
Whatever

mfe777

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:35 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
mfe777 wrote:

Perhaps you are correct. I'm surprised too given the high load factors of WOW and FI. I know loads do not equal profits, but seems like with loads that high and one less carrier, they could raise prices a little and make it work. Anyway, I was impatient and unwilling to test it since really, there is only one option that would get us home the same day (via ORD).

Did the agent(s) have any sort of explanation on why the flights weren't bookable?

eaa3

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 pm

mfe777 wrote:

EDIT: Some dates in late Dec are bookable at very high cost (~$4k to London in economy), as well as first week of January. Not bookable after that. How often do airlines cancel a route with 3 week notice, especially one that was doing pretty well for being a new route?

The route will operate on those dates. It's being cancelled with around 4 months advance notice. The high prices are probably because the flight is full on the European side around christmas.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:40 pm

mfe777 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
mfe777 wrote:

Did the agent(s) have any sort of explanation on why the flights weren't bookable?

No, he did not. When I asked to speak to a manager/supervisor to explain the situation, he finally put me on hold and went and spoke to management. When he came back, he said they would go ahead make the proposed change without penalty (change fee). He did not state what management said to him. It took a bit of conversation for me to be able to explain to him that if you look at other dates around June 5th, the flights are 'zeroed' out and a nonstop is not bookable. I stated that there is no way, if you look at it logically, that every flight is 100% sold out.

While I still don't think he fundamentally understood what I was saying, once he spoke to management, the changed was approved and re-ticketed right away.
Whatever

lavalampluva

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:00 pm

I suspect that FI isn't going to start a new (replacement) US location until things settle down. The KEF expansion did get a bit crazy for a while and now routes are dropping about as fast as they started.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

mfe777

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:13 pm

eaa3 wrote:
mfe777 wrote:
I
The route will operate on those dates. It's being cancelled with around 4 months advance notice. The high prices are probably because the flight is full on the European side around christmas.

There were Spring flights available for booking already. The route has always been year-round. It was never seasonal. Some flights are being cancelled with very short notice.

DLD9S
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 pm

While the flight was initially year round, they did suspend the DFWKEF flight for part of January and all of February with the November 4 schedule update.
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

A333MSPtoAMS

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 pm

RJNUT wrote:

Just note that if this happens, you have to transfer between Terminal 2 to Terminal 1, as both Spirit & Frontier operate out of T1 and Icelandair operates out of T2.
As of Dec 2018 I've flown 417,862 miles on 250 flights on 51 airplane types with 55 airlines traveling thru 97 airports in 43 countries. I've visited 59 countries. 2019 is looking like a pretty decent year for me.
http://cronkflies.com

A333MSPtoAMS

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:22 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
RJNUT wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

I saw those options, but they really won't work. We need to be back home on the 5th. Hoping they will route us a different route. On the outbound, we are on AA vis MSP, which doesn't show up online.

Make sure you have a good amount of time for your transfer as you will need to transfer to Terminal 2. AA operates out of T1 and Icelandair operates out of T2. Follow the ground signs to the lightrail station and take it to T2 (it's free between the two terminals)
As of Dec 2018 I've flown 417,862 miles on 250 flights on 51 airplane types with 55 airlines traveling thru 97 airports in 43 countries. I've visited 59 countries. 2019 is looking like a pretty decent year for me.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:11 pm

A333MSPtoAMS wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Make sure you have a good amount of time for your transfer as you will need to transfer to Terminal 2. AA operates out of T1 and Icelandair operates out of T2. Follow the ground signs to the lightrail station and take it to T2 (it's free between the two terminals)

Thanks. Are you referring to ORD or MSP?

We go through MSP on the outbound, ORD inbound. I'm assuming you mean MSP since at ORD, you'd come into the international terminal, then transfer to AA's terminal (We've done International to UA at ORD before, so I'd assume it's the same process).
Whatever

SRQKEF

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
A333MSPtoAMS wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

We go through MSP on the outbound, ORD inbound. I'm assuming you mean MSP since at ORD, you'd come into the international terminal, then transfer to AA's terminal (We've done International to UA at ORD before, so I'd assume it's the same process).

Yes, FI is in T2 (the Humphrey Terminal) in MSP along with SY and WN.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

A333MSPtoAMS

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
A333MSPtoAMS wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Yes. Sorry. I am referring to MSP. When i saw the mesage originally i hadn't gotten far enough down the thread to see you had been booked returning via ORD.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 pm

A333MSPtoAMS wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Make sure you have a good amount of time for your transfer as you will need to transfer to Terminal 2. AA operates out of T1 and Icelandair operates out of T2. Follow the ground signs to the light rail station and take it to T2 (it's free between the two terminals)

I just reviewed MSP. I never realized the two terminals were physically separated. Wow, just learned something new. I believe we have about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to transfer from AA to FI at MSP. From my understanding, bags should be checked all the way through, although with greater than 2 hours, would you suggest just checking them to MSP, collecting them and heading over to Terminal 2 with them and rechecking in with FI?
Whatever

RJNUT

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:31 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
A333MSPtoAMS wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Make sure you have a good amount of time for your transfer as you will need to transfer to Terminal 2. AA operates out of T1 and Icelandair operates out of T2. Follow the ground signs to the light rail station and take it to T2 (it's free between the two terminals)

I just reviewed MSP. I never realized the two terminals were physically separated. Wow, just learned something new. I believe we have about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to transfer from AA to FI at MSP. From my understanding, bags should be checked all the way through, although with greater than 2 hours, would you suggest just checking them to MSP, collecting them and heading over to Terminal 2 with them and rechecking in with FI?

I would consider self transfer of luggage at MSP as this is a sched. change reroute. Normally AA would not be transferring any bags to FI at MSP, EVER ,as they don't cross ticket on their published fares and thus, don't feed each other ! On the reverse thru ORD you still have to claim at CPB in ORD and place on connect belt. It should already be tagged to DFW , if not ,AA can tag for you at recheck belt.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:56 pm

RJNUT wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
A333MSPtoAMS wrote:

I would consider self transfer of luggage at MSP as this is a sched. change reroute. Normally AA would not be transferring any bags to FI at MSP, EVER ,as they don't cross ticket on their published fares and thus, don't feed each other ! On the reverse thru ORD you still have to claim at CPB in ORD and place on connect belt. It should already be tagged to DFW , if not ,AA can tag for you at recheck belt.

Great. I'll ask AA to short-check the bag to MSP, pick up at baggage claim, then haul them over to Terminal 2 via the Light Rail.

Appreciate the feedback.
Whatever

A333MSPtoAMS

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:39 am

I have never had to transfer at MSP, since I live here, but i would say that 2 hours will be more than enough time. It's about 10ish minutes from baggage in T1 to the tram which will take you to the groundtransport station (airport lightrail station) and then the ride between the two terminals is about 10 minutes. The lightrail comes every 10-13 minutes. Then it's about a 5ish minute walk from the T2 station to the Icelandair checkin. Although I have TSA precheck, non TSA precheck in T2 is rarely a lengthy process. At least the times I've flown out of that terminal (Icelandair and JetBlue) the lines are never very long and look less than 10 minutes.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:53 am

A333MSPtoAMS wrote:
I have never had to transfer at MSP, since I live here, but i would say that 2 hours will be more than enough time. It's about 10ish minutes from baggage in T1 to the tram which will take you to the groundtransport station (airport lightrail station) and then the ride between the two terminals is about 10 minutes. The lightrail comes every 10-13 minutes. Then it's about a 5ish minute walk from the T2 station to the Icelandair checkin. Although I have TSA precheck, non TSA precheck in T2 is rarely a lengthy process. At least the times I've flown out of that terminal (Icelandair and JetBlue) the lines are never very long and look less than 10 minutes.

Great. Just looking at itinerary and we arrive into MSP at 4:57 pm, then depart again at 7:20 pm.
Whatever

compensateme

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:56 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
A333MSPtoAMS wrote:

Great. Just looking at itinerary and we arrive into MSP at 4:57 pm, then depart again at 7:20 pm.

I hope your fare was cheap enough to justify all this hassel!!! :)
We don’t care what your next flight is.

LAX772LR

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:12 am

I doubt anyone's all that shocked at the scaleback of the borderline-ridiculous KEF expansion of the last two years or so.

Toss in this, plus an economic slowdown and industry downturn... and I wouldn't be surprised if only a half-dozen or so US gateways maintain yearround KEF service for quite a foreseeable future.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

FriscoHeavy

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:43 pm

compensateme wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
A333MSPtoAMS wrote:

I hope your fare was cheap enough to justify all this hassel!!! :)

Well, originally we were flying direct DFW-KEF and KEF-DFW on their nonstops. We are also flying them to from KEF-CDG, but those flights haven't been changed. Given that we already have hotel rooms booked everywhere, etc, canceling isn't really an option so we'll have to take what we can get.
Whatever

airbazar

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:02 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
I doubt anyone's all that shocked at the scaleback of the borderline-ridiculous KEF expansion of the last two years or so.

Toss in this, plus an economic slowdown and industry downturn... and I wouldn't be surprised if only a half-dozen or so US gateways maintain yearround KEF service for quite a foreseeable future.

The KEF stop made sense when flying TATL was controlled by the legacies and their JV's and prices were expensive. With the introduction of TATL LCC's and non-aligned airlines, and the subsequent price drops by the legacy carriers, we can now get very good prices flying non-stop to the major continental Europe cities without the connection in the middle of the night. The one-stop via KEF will still be relevant to a niche market but nowhere in the numbers that we were seeing. That's my opinion.

crazyfoo88

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:32 pm

airbazar wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

The KEF stop made sense when flying TATL was controlled by the legacies and their JV's and prices were expensive. With the introduction of TATL LCC's and non-aligned airlines, and the subsequent price drops by the legacy carriers, we can now get very good prices flying non-stop to the major continental Europe cities without the connection in the middle of the night. The one-stop via KEF will still be relevant to a niche market but nowhere in the numbers that we were seeing. That's my opinion.

I agree, to a point. I used Icelandair specifically because they allowed me to do up to a 7 day "layover" without charging for 2 separate flights. This allowed me to extend my vacation and see Iceland, and the next time I go across to Europe again I will probably use them at least one way across. Can't forget about this perk that people use while travelling through Iceland to their destination. Not everyone is doing the quick 1hr transfer.
crazyfoo88

jfklganyc

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:44 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

I agree with ur KEF assessment.

But what slowdown or downturn?

Economy is strong, oil is fairly cheap...dont know how long it will last, but this is as close to firing on all cylinders as it is going to get.

axiom

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:58 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I agree with ur KEF assessment.

But what slowdown or downturn?

Economy is strong, oil is fairly cheap...dont know how long it will last, but this is as close to firing on all cylinders as it is going to get.

The European market is on shaky grounds, and the US market will slow. It appears to be nearing a peak. Markets always move in waves. An appreciable downturn is inevitable.

I agree with the assessment that only a few large gateways will survive the next five years, plus markets like MCO/TPA with a unique demand profile (see: sun).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos