NCAD95

Re: Source: Wow to End Los Angeles and DEL/SFO/YVR/MCO in January 2019

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:09 pm

KICT wrote:
Just put a fork in it already...

It bewilders me that on a commercial aviation forum like this that people would celebrate the death of and airline rather than cheering it on in their attempt to stay in business creating a crucial option for those who are not flush with cash to get to see a part of the world that would not be possible without an airline like WOW Air really shows the state that this world is in today.

clrd4t8koff

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:24 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
There have been various forecasts by Icelandic economists in the past week, with the conclusion being everything from continued growth to a 15% decrease in pax. Only time will tell. However, in a recent shareholder meeting management stated that FI was ready to grow 35% with its current resources using the new bank structure.

Btw, FI is also adding KEF-DUS in March. Original start date was last October, but they moved it back by 5 months due to restructuring and waiting for more MAXes to arrive. IIRC, it's supposed to be year round.

It is also worth mentioning that other than that SAS flight, there is not a single route from non-Icelandic carriers. Very different from previous years when every year there were easily 5-6-7 new routes from foreign carriers. No easyJet, no Wizz Air... nothing new. In fact Wizz Air has cancelled a few routes, Vueling chopped FCO-KEF...

It looks like 2018 has been "KEF Peak".

Not a single route from non-Icelandic carriers?? Uh, that’s false. BA flies LHR-KEF, LH flies FRA-KEF, AY flies HEL-KEF and I’m sure there’s more.

cschleic

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:20 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
There have been various forecasts by Icelandic economists in the past week, with the conclusion being everything from continued growth to a 15% decrease in pax. Only time will tell. However, in a recent shareholder meeting management stated that FI was ready to grow 35% with its current resources using the new bank structure.

Btw, FI is also adding KEF-DUS in March. Original start date was last October, but they moved it back by 5 months due to restructuring and waiting for more MAXes to arrive. IIRC, it's supposed to be year round.

It is also worth mentioning that other than that SAS flight, there is not a single route from non-Icelandic carriers. Very different from previous years when every year there were easily 5-6-7 new routes from foreign carriers. No easyJet, no Wizz Air... nothing new. In fact Wizz Air has cancelled a few routes, Vueling chopped FCO-KEF...

It looks like 2018 has been "KEF Peak".

Not a single route from non-Icelandic carriers?? Uh, that’s false. BA flies LHR-KEF, LH flies FRA-KEF, AY flies HEL-KEF and I’m sure there’s more.

The post seems to be referring to new routes.

LAX772LR

Re: Source: Wow to End Los Angeles and Delhi in January 2019

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:20 pm

DL747400 wrote:
The choices made by WOW's leadership team are creating an even greater appearance of financial desperation.

That's nothing new.

The choices made by WW's leadership several years ago, to ridiculously overexpand, is pretty much what sealed their current predicament.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Ryanair01

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:16 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
The only new route for KEF in 2019 is seasonal ARN-KEF on SAS.

Could the number of PAX in KEF decrease in 2019? Should Keflavík PAX numbers be used as a thermometer for the global economy? :)

The forecasts I recently saw essentially predicted flat or slightly reduced numbers next year because:

1. Very little opportunity to increase accommodation utilisation at peak times in Reykjavik (even Air BnB), whilst demand in the rest of Iceland is broadly flat or reducing. This provides a practical cap irrespective of available seats to KEF.

2. US is 'the' key market by volume, but very peaky. The recent big leap in volume from the US was driven in part by the US3 dumping capacity to protect their core transatlantic business by fighting off expansion by Wow and to a lesser extent Icelandair. If the US3 strategy works the market will reset to a much smaller number of seats. It's unclear which markets could provide replacement visitors, although visitors to Europe from the far east are increasingly looking to visit Iceland, their numbers are currently very low and not enough to plug the gap.

3. UK remains the second key market by volume (especially outside of summer) and a likely weaker pound will reduce demand, especially for destinations with a reputation for expense, like Iceland.

I wasn't involved in putting it together but I do know that was before Wow's most recent problems. Certainly the travel interests in Iceland I personally know are expanding overseas as they perceive further growth at home as unlikely. Having said that, even if things do slow down, overall tourism in Iceland should still be seen as a success story when compared to say 10 years ago.

PVD757

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:24 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
The choices made by WOW's leadership team are creating an even greater appearance of financial desperation.

That's nothing new.

The choices made by WW's leadership several years ago, to ridiculously overexpand, is pretty much what sealed their current predicament.

I think its hard to be an ULCC at high cost airports, among other things. The connections between Europe and the US is a great idea as that opens a multitude of market pairs and demand and the NEOs seem like a good CASM aircraft but the quick expansion and in some cases, the choice of airport sure does seem to have bit them. The initial lack of day of week and seasonal schedule dicipline also would seem like a contributor.

ACCS300

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:56 pm

I'd rather WOW cancel YVR. It strengthens FI's position and possibly opens up a future AC route with the 737MAX.

KICT

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 pm

NCAD95 wrote:
It bewilders me that on a commercial aviation forum like this that people would celebrate the death of and airline rather than cheering it on in their attempt to stay in business creating a crucial option for those who are not flush with cash to get to see a part of the world that would not be possible without an airline like WOW Air really shows the state that this world is in today.

If you are so inclined to fly WOW then book a flight on them, just don't use your debit card...
People are saying. Believe me.

lavalampluva

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Iceland is so over saturated with flights from NA. There are plenty of ways to get to Europe without having to change planes at KEF.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

LAX772LR

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:09 pm

PVD757 wrote:
The initial lack of day of week and seasonal schedule dicipline also would seem like a contributor.

Agree from personal experience.

My mom and sister recently went to KEF, and instead of taking the nonstop on WW, I had them book a cnnx to FI via BOS.

Worked out great, because as their date of departure came around, WW was having frantic issues (tech A330 backing up the system) and some pax were delayed up to 3days past their expectant travel dates.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

a350lover

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:16 am

LAX772LR wrote:

My mom and sister recently went to KEF, and instead of taking the nonstop on WW, I had them book a cnnx to FI via BOS.

Worked out great, because as their date of departure came around, WW was having frantic issues (tech A330 backing up the system) and some pax were delayed up to 3days past their expectant travel dates.

In order to beat that issue, which I recognize weakens WOW, they should stick to those markets where they can deploy daily services, or even double. Otherwise, they won't be "the choice" many times, even when being cheaper. I assume the new strategy that no one knows for how long it'll last will be to fly a shorter amount of places, rather dense markets, and beat competitors via low fares. Thus, the destinations they could keep one side and the other could be:

US:
-Newark
-Boston
-Toronto
-Washington

EU:
-London Gatwick
-Arlanda
-Copenhaguen
-Amsterdam
-Berlin
-Warsaw

They technically aim to be relevant for rather a "backpacker" profile. Thus, get out of the busy corporate runways (FRA, DUS, BRU, etc.) and stick to the leisure-low-cost instead.

KICT

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 am

NCAD95 wrote:

If they had a viable business model this thread would not exist. No one is "cheering" on the death of an airline.
If the airline fails - which I think is likely at this point - it will be the fault of the management and investors that the employees are out of work, not mine.
People are saying. Believe me.

georgiabill

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:13 pm

I would think WOW should consider KEF-STN in addition to KEF-LGW.

SRQKEF

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:37 pm

georgiabill wrote:
I would think WOW should consider KEF-STN in addition to KEF-LGW.

Hmm, that might make sense. Especially given they've already flown to Stansted year round for 3 years now! ;)

Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

32andBelow

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:46 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
euroflyer wrote:
Btw, they're having a huge -50% OFF ticket sales if you book a flight this winter. I've tried it from CDG to US/Canada, I guess it should be the case for other routes

What if they go under?

Read “Splash of Colors” about braniff...

Same strategy of putting bodies in seats to keep
cash flowing in for bills.

Then you call your credit card and charge it back

usairways85

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:44 pm

WOW air in last week gradually adjusted its inventory, which sees following routes closed for reservation in the first quarter of 2019.

Reykjavik Keflavik – Delhi Reservation for travel on/after 22JAN19 is closed
Reykjavik Keflavik – Los Angeles Reservation for travel on/after 23JAN19 is closed
Reykjavik Keflavik – San Francisco Reservation for travel on/after 31MAR19 is closed
Reykjavik Keflavik – Vancouver Reservation for travel on/after 06JUN19 is closed

Previously not covered on Airlineroute, following routes will not be returning in 2019 season:
Reykjavik Keflavik – Cincinnati
Reykjavik Keflavik – Cleveland
Reykjavik Keflavik – Dallas/Ft. Worth
Reykjavik Keflavik – New York JFK

Source:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/282020/wow-air-2019-network-adjustment-as-of-14dec18/

jfklganyc

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:25 pm

32andBelow wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
euroflyer wrote:
Btw, they're having a huge -50% OFF ticket sales if you book a flight this winter. I've tried it from CDG to US/Canada, I guess it should be the case for other routes

What if they go under?

Read “Splash of Colors” about braniff...

Same strategy of putting bodies in seats to keep
cash flowing in for bills.

Then you call your credit card and charge it back

Not always that simple.

It also strands you without a flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos