stevend08
Topic Author
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:20 am

Norwegian 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Norweigan flight 1933 flying Dubai to Oslo diverted to Shiraz with engine trouble.

This will be quite a interesting diversion recovery considering the sanctions currently imposed on Iran and the general lack of resources in Shiraz to handle Norweigan.

[url]https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1073589476457369600
[/url]
 
Samrnpage
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:16 pm

It must have been serious enough to warrant going to the nearest airport. I mean Doha, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Kuwait are all 'closeby' in consideration to most diversions
 
stevend08
Topic Author
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:20 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Looks like Norweigan is sending a 738 from Oslo to pick up the stranded passengers at SYZ.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 3460769792
 
TC957
Posts: 3415
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 pm

It'll be interesting how diplomatically this incident will play out and get resolved for the poor Max.
Glad the passengers are getting rescued at least !
 
mxaxai
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Section 560.528 of the ITR provides that specific licenses may be issued, on a case-bycase
basis, for the exportation and reexportation of goods, services and technology to
insure the safety of civil aviation and safe operation of U.S.-origin commercial passenger
aircraft.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... /iran.aspx

If the aircraft is unairworthy without a part and such parts cannot be obtained or repaired otherwise, I guess they (or their maintenance contractor) might try to get such a license for this particular case, for the particular parts needed.

I'm not sure though, if they could pursue such a license for an Airbus or any other non-US aircraft. Would be very inconvenient to divert to Iran only to have the plane stuck there.
 
amishfarmer
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 pm

I feel bad for that recovery team. That is going to be a PITA to get in there and fix the jet and get back out. I"m sure the parking fees are going to be a bit inflated as well.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2008
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Am I missing something here? Nothing is being sold to Iran. No parts, nothing. It is sold to Norwegian, shipped to Iran and installed on Norwegian's aircraft. Much ado about nothing. Or do you guys think that no part is ever replaced among all the regularly scheduled flights into Iran (and Cuba, Syria, et cetera) operated by foreign (non-Irani) Boeing and Airbus aircraft?
 
a300
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 9:24 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:55 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Section 560.528 of the ITR provides that specific licenses may be issued, on a case-bycase
basis, for the exportation and reexportation of goods, services and technology to
insure the safety of civil aviation and safe operation of U.S.-origin commercial passenger
aircraft.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... /iran.aspx

If the aircraft is unairworthy without a part and such parts cannot be obtained or repaired otherwise, I guess they (or their maintenance contractor) might try to get such a license for this particular case, for the particular parts needed.

I'm not sure though, if they could pursue such a license for an Airbus or any other non-US aircraft. Would be very inconvenient to divert to Iran only to have the plane stuck there.


I don't see why the part would require an OFAC license. It is a Norwegian-flagged aircraft in the fleet of a non-Iranian legal entity. Not too long ago there was a LH plane (I recall a 747 with an engine issue) that could not make the return trip from IKA. Parts were flown in and repairs made. The ship left after a day or two.
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.
 
a300
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 9:24 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:59 pm

amishfarmer wrote:
I feel bad for that recovery team. That is going to be a PITA to get in there and fix the jet and get back out. I"m sure the parking fees are going to be a bit inflated as well.


Again, I don't see a major disaster. Compared to the cost of engine, crew and mechanics' salaries, the parking fees would be minor.

Further, Iran Aseman has a maintenance base at SYZ that does heavy checks on the ATR-72. There is plenty of hanger space and tools. Aseman also has 737-400 in its fleet and has certified A&P mechanics (not sure whether they are based in THR or SYZ, but that's hardly an issue)

Another airline company, Sepehran, is actually based at SYZ (it's call sign is "Shirazi) and does line maintenance on its 737 (-300 and -500) fleet.

I realize that the MAX is significantly different than the Classic. The point though is there is plenty of equipment, tools and engineering expertise to assist the NX team, should they require it.
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.
 
smartplane
Posts: 874
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:45 pm

a300 wrote:
I don't see why the part would require an OFAC license. It is a Norwegian-flagged aircraft in the fleet of a non-Iranian legal entity.

The ban not only includes named Iranian operators, but Iran as a whole. And also includes export of testing / diagnostic equipment, and trained technicians and technology transfer. Using Iranian technicians would be an issue if knowledge is acquired in the process, and accessing technical files online from PW within Iran is blocked.

In a perfect world, the operator puts replacement parts and testing / diagnostic equipment on board the rescue aircraft, together with trained staff, borrows hanger space, tools and local expertise, and the aircraft is back in the air asap.

If the part has to be ordered in / foreign contractors used............... A lot of t's will need to be crossed, and i's dotted, to ensure no collateral trade damage due to the perception or reality of embargo busting, including the re-export of all faulty / replaced parts.
 
a300
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 9:24 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:50 pm

smartplane wrote:
a300 wrote:
I don't see why the part would require an OFAC license. It is a Norwegian-flagged aircraft in the fleet of a non-Iranian legal entity.

The ban not only includes named Iranian operators, but Iran as a whole. And also includes export of testing / diagnostic equipment, and trained technicians and technology transfer. Using Iranian technicians would be an issue if knowledge is acquired in the process, and accessing technical files online from PW within Iran is blocked.

In a perfect world, the operator puts replacement parts and testing / diagnostic equipment on board the rescue aircraft, together with trained staff, borrows hanger space, tools and local expertise, and the aircraft is back in the air asap.

If the part has to be ordered in / foreign contractors used............... A lot of t's will need to be crossed, and i's dotted, to ensure no collateral trade damage due to the perception or reality of embargo busting, including the re-export of all faulty / replaced parts.


As I mentioned, this was recently done with a LH aircraft at IKA. IR does some of the line maintenance for LH at THR. LH has some technical staff there that oversee LH and OS aircraft. I am not sure how they arrange payments with Iran Air, but they do.

Let's see what happens with the Norwegian aircraft. My educated guess is that it will be gone in under a week. Of course, time will tell.
Last edited by a300 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9187
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:50 pm

There won’t be much of an issue. ~15 years ago a NW DC-10 actually had an emergency diversion to Tehran. They were still able to get things checked out and pay for fuel (I think diversion was a false alarm). Plane and passengers got out.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5044
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:51 pm

What happens with the PAX?

If most of them are Norwegian, will they lose the ESTA privilege for their next visit to the US because they have visited Iran?
 
TC957
Posts: 3415
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm

If the pax were kept airside, then technically they never entered Iran so that shouldn't be an issue.
 
a300
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 9:24 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:59 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
What happens with the PAX?

If most of them are Norwegian, will they lose the ESTA privilege for their next visit to the US because they have visited Iran?


I would think they are in an "sterile" transit area and have not officially crossed Iranian immigration check. This was how the NW passengers were handled many years ago. Diversions to Iran happen from time to time. An Air India B787 did that a while back.

I doubt that this will be an issue.
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3553
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:01 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
What happens with the PAX?

If most of them are Norwegian, will they lose the ESTA privilege for their next visit to the US because they have visited Iran?


A replacement aircraft is already on it's way to pick up the passengers. I guess they will stay airside waiting for this replacement aircraft and thus not clearing immigration in Iran. Therefor technically they haven't been there.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:03 pm

I don't see any proplem at all. Lots of people travel between UAE and Iran everyday, Iranian people are very hospitable ......possible delay due to US sanctions making parts difficult but the USA could't care less about the difficulties arising sadly
 
RalXWB
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Another engine issue :white:
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2494
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Entirely possible they might be able to just ferry flight it somewhere on flight restrictions.
 
N415XJ
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Polot wrote:
There won’t be much of an issue. ~15 years ago a NW DC-10 actually had an emergency diversion to Tehran. They were still able to get things checked out and pay for fuel (I think diversion was a false alarm). Plane and passengers got out.

Northwest Flight 41 in June 2005 from Mumbai-Amsterdam. Yep, it was a false alarm. There is an AWESOME podcast from back in 2010 where the captain of that flight describes the incident in extreme detail. By some amazing stroke of luck, the captain had flown for Iran Air before the revolution and know some Farsi. It's really interesting to hear how they navigated the cultural, political, and logistic challenges. I listen to it once every couple of months because it's just that good.

You can get it free here:
http://www.flightpodcast.com/episode-4- ... nto-tehran
 
a300
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 9:24 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:54 am

N415XJ wrote:
Polot wrote:
There won’t be much of an issue. ~15 years ago a NW DC-10 actually had an emergency diversion to Tehran. They were still able to get things checked out and pay for fuel (I think diversion was a false alarm). Plane and passengers got out.

Northwest Flight 41 in June 2005 from Mumbai-Amsterdam. Yep, it was a false alarm. There is an AWESOME podcast from back in 2010 where the captain of that flight describes the incident in extreme detail. By some amazing stroke of luck, the captain had flown for Iran Air before the revolution and know some Farsi. It's really interesting to hear how they navigated the cultural, political, and logistic challenges. I listen to it once every couple of months because it's just that good.

You can get it free here:
http://www.flightpodcast.com/episode-4- ... nto-tehran


The correct name for the official language of Iran is Persian (in English). "Farsi" (more correctly "Parsi") is Persian for Persian. A common inaccuracy that both Iranians and non-Iranians use. If you see Iran Air's website, the term Persian (is correctly) used.
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.
 
cj477
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:07 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:16 am

I have a family member who was on the flight. They were transferred to a hotel in the city but their passports were retained by flight or airport personnel-they were told the crew timed out and they are now scheduled to leave at 1300 local time.
 
User avatar
Aeroflot777
Posts: 3154
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:49 am

I'm sure they were all being taken care of nicely. Will be a fun tale to tell family and friends.

I was flying DME-DOH on QR roughly two months ago, and we diverted to KIH - Kish Island in Iran due to poor weather in Doha. All the Russians on board (most of the pax) didn't even realize we diverted and it was fun to watch them all gather their belongings and get in line to deplane. I had to tell some people that ahem... we are actually in Iran waiting out the storm. The expressions on their faces... priceless. Crew was having a hard time explaining the situation since they didn't speak Russian.

We sat on the tarmac for a few hours, refueled and carried on. The ground staff was super friendly, joked around and exchanged some goods with the Qatari crew. Most importantly, kept our plane air conditioned in the insane heat. Seems like this is a rare event as normally QR planes divert to Bahrain.

And for me as an avgeek, a cool little unplanned experience of landing on a tiny (but gorgeous) island in Iran.
 
Kadish
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:25 am

Glad the passengers are getting rescued at least ![/quote]

Rescued?! Is there a war and I havent noticed?
I was in Iran last summer n believe me they are extremly friendly, caring....the worst the heat but im not sure they cant be blamed for that.
 
george77300
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:48 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:
I was flying DME-DOH on QR roughly two months ago, and we diverted to KIH - Kish Island in Iran due to poor weather in Doha. Seems like this is a rare event as normally QR planes divert to Bahrain.

And for me as an avgeek, a cool little unplanned experience of landing on a tiny (but gorgeous) island in Iran.


They can’t divert to Bahrain anymore. (Or UAE, Saudi Arabia or Egypt) anymore for the last 18 months or so for political reasons. Their closest options are now Iran, Kuwait and (slightly further away) Oman.
 
User avatar
Aeroflot777
Posts: 3154
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:05 am

george77300 wrote:
They can’t divert to Bahrain anymore. (Or UAE, Saudi Arabia or Egypt) anymore for the last 18 months or so for political reasons. Their closest options are now Iran, Kuwait and (slightly further away) Oman.


Correct! I meant to write Kuwait and wrote Bahrain. Woke up too early, thanks for the correction. The QR crew mentioned that Kuwait was their go-to diversion these days.
 
User avatar
Siren
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:50 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:23 am

Polot wrote:
There won’t be much of an issue. ~15 years ago a NW DC-10 actually had an emergency diversion to Tehran. They were still able to get things checked out and pay for fuel (I think diversion was a false alarm). Plane and passengers got out.


Northwest Flight 41, with a cargo bay fire alarm issue. Yes, it was a false. They did not pay for fuel as such - Northwest had to promise to pay for the fuel, and the Iranians supplied it and they departed to continue to AMS.

The Captain of the flight gave an interview - a fantastic hour long recounting of the entire event with lots of little details. This is a link to the interview: http://www.flightpodcast.com/episode-4- ... nto-tehran

Norwegian is probably not going to be facing the same issues as Northwest - Iran maintains diplomatic relations with the Europeans and the Europeans aren't nearly as punitive re: sanctions and such as the Americans - so it should be relatively straightforward in theory to get this issue fixed.

EDIT: I see somebody else dropped the link in here already ... oops. Late to the party I guess. But as N415XJ stated, the Podcast really is *that good* - give it a listen.
 
Someone83
Posts: 4177
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:26 am

Kadish wrote:

Rescued?! Is there a war and I havent noticed?
I was in Iran last summer n believe me they are extremly friendly, caring....the worst the heat but im not sure they cant be blamed for that.


Hopefully just poorly worded. However, this thread is rather full of uninformed people to say it at least.

While Norway is part of the Iran embargo (we’re forced as US is a much more important trade partner), Norway has full diplomatic relations with Iran and Norwegian can visit Iran freely, although there is some issues getting the ESTA afterwards


And about fixing the plane: It is just to bring the tools and spareparts down there, fix the aircraft and fly it home. It is not like there is much CFM Leap spare parts in Iran anyway. This isn’t more complicated than when Air France had to divert a 777 to somewhere in Siberia
 
teusje
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:30 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:11 am

Norwegian 8402 LN-DYG just took off from Shiraz back to Oslo.
319 320 321 333 343 388 732 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 773 BN2A C172 C180 DC93 F28
 
bennett123
Posts: 8702
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:02 am

Given that it was not a planned stop, I don’t see that anyone can be penalised for going to Iran.
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Is this the first B737MAX which has landed in Iran?
 
User avatar
fallap
Posts: 948
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:36 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Kadish wrote:

Rescued?! Is there a war and I havent noticed?
I was in Iran last summer n believe me they are extremly friendly, caring....the worst the heat but im not sure they cant be blamed for that.


Hopefully just poorly worded. However, this thread is rather full of uninformed people to say it at least.

While Norway is part of the Iran embargo (we’re forced as US is a much more important trade partner), Norway has full diplomatic relations with Iran and Norwegian can visit Iran freely, although there is some issues getting the ESTA afterwards


And about fixing the plane: It is just to bring the tools and spareparts down there, fix the aircraft and fly it home. It is not like there is much CFM Leap spare parts in Iran anyway. This isn’t more complicated than when Air France had to divert a 777 to somewhere in Siberia


Absolutely agree, wonderful and charming people. Shiraz is a cozy little city with plenty of historic and cultural places to indulge in. Too bad they are unable to exit the airport due to visa requirements :/
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science
 
User avatar
LTU330
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Slash787 wrote:
Is this the first B737MAX which has landed in Iran?


No. flyDubai have flown the B737MAX to Iran on scheduled flights.
 
george77300
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:07 pm

LTU330 wrote:
Slash787 wrote:
Is this the first B737MAX which has landed in Iran?


No. flyDubai have flown the B737MAX to Iran on scheduled flights.


Also can’t confirm necessarily but TK and WY also have 737 flights to Tehran at least so chances are one of their MAXs has been to Iran too.
 
User avatar
neutrino
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:03 pm

fallap wrote:
Shiraz is a cozy little city with plenty of historic and cultural places to indulge in. Too bad they are unable to exit the airport due to visa requirements :/

No, the passengers did exit the airport and transferred to a city hotel. Did you not read the post (no reason to doubt its veracity) a dozen above yours? Here, in case you are too lazy to look up:-
You're welcome.
cj477 wrote:
I have a family member who was on the flight. They were transferred to a hotel in the city but their passports were retained by flight or airport personnel-they were told the crew timed out and they are now scheduled to leave at 1300 local time.


Aeroflot777 wrote:
And for me as an avgeek, a cool little unplanned experience of landing on a tiny (but gorgeous) island in Iran.


Almost 30 years ago, shortly before the USSR was dissolved, I missed my connecting plane to Milan due to my incoming flight to Moscow being delayed at both the origin and fuel stop cities. I arrived at the terminal just in time to see my aircraft take off. The next flight was for 48 hours later, in the evening.
No visa so passport not stamped (though allowed to hold on to it), but me together with a few other fellow passengers were accommodated at a gorgeous state guesthouse, on the city outskirts, for 2 nights.
We were not allowed to exit the vast fenced and guarded compound but on the second morning, the guesthouse manager brought us to the city for a few hours' tour. We were firmly told to stay very close to her side since we were legally not in the USSR. The US$20 that we were asked to pay for the favor/service was very much worth it.

"a cool little unplanned experience" for me too, and save for the US$20 that I gladly ante up, the VIP stay was totally free.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
 
cj477
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:07 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:23 pm

As a follow up, they left Shiraz pretty much as (newly) scheduled. For a bonus item, they stopped in Warsaw to refuel!
 
AirbusOnly
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 pm

teusje wrote:
Norwegian 8402 LN-DYG just took off from Shiraz back to Oslo.



...and was diverted to WAW...for whatever reason….but finally arrived OSL...
 
User avatar
fallap
Posts: 948
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:36 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:57 pm

neutrino wrote:
fallap wrote:
Shiraz is a cozy little city with plenty of historic and cultural places to indulge in. Too bad they are unable to exit the airport due to visa requirements :/

No, the passengers did exit the airport and transferred to a city hotel. Did you not read the post (no reason to doubt its veracity) a dozen above yours? Here, in case you are too lazy to look up:-
You're welcome.


Yes I read the post, and yes I doubted its veracity. This is the internet after all.

Although I do value your input to this thread, I also hope they were able to spend the night(s) at a local hotel and see what Shiraz has to offer.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science
 
stratclub
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:30 pm

TC957 wrote:
It'll be interesting how diplomatically this incident will play out and get resolved for the poor Max.
Glad the passengers are getting rescued at least !

The poor MAX? I don't understand that. Since the beginning of powered flight, airplanes have gone tech and in this case the crew did what their SOP required them to do. I can't imagine any Jerry Springer outcome to this minor incident. Did the female pilot not properly wear her Burqa according to Islam tradition or something? Was there an issue as to who the father was?
 
ELBOB
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:56 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 pm

WIederling wrote:
The proper name for the big town near Bonn is "Cologne". "Köln" is just Cologne for the natives.


But in an aviation context, if you're filing a flight there you'll call it Köln:

EDDK KOELN/BONN

That's what it's registered as in the ICAO database. Similarly:

EDDM MUENCHEN
 
User avatar
MillwallSean
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:21 am

Shiraz is a great place. Good people and a city known to have some of the best looking girls in that part of the world. Iranians, who we westerners interact with, tend to be liberal and smart whether inside Iran or outside Iran. Very different people compared to the neighbouring arabs.

Not a major issue for most on this plane to get an Iranian stamp in ones passport (assuming the majority are Europeans). Most EU nations already allows for two passports. If a person needs to travel to the US and the US cause troubles due to an entry/exit stamp from Iran, just apply for a second passport where there are no stamps. Its the same procedure for us who have Israeli stamps and travel to the Middle East. While you are unlikely to see trouble, even the risk of potential barriers to entry is ground enough to obtain a second passport. A nice letter of support from employer or family member and voila the issue is solved.
Cant say I have experienced to much trouble anywhere despite stamps from less visited nations. A few questions, an explanation of work and voila I am in.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.
 
INFINITI329
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:34 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
teusje wrote:
Norwegian 8402 LN-DYG just took off from Shiraz back to Oslo.



...and was diverted to WAW...for whatever reason….but finally arrived OSL...


this plane just cant catch a break
 
User avatar
neutrino
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:52 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
teusje wrote:
Norwegian 8402 LN-DYG just took off from Shiraz back to Oslo.


...and was diverted to WAW...for whatever reason….but finally arrived OSL...


this plane just cant catch a break

Ah it got two breaks, - albeit unplanned - Shiraz and Warsaw. ;)
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
 
Someone83
Posts: 4177
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:26 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
teusje wrote:
Norwegian 8402 LN-DYG just took off from Shiraz back to Oslo.



...and was diverted to WAW...for whatever reason….but finally arrived OSL...


AFAIK it was a fuel stop.

Remember LN-DYG is a 737-800 and not a -MAX 8. That aircraft is still in Iran
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:57 pm

N415XJ wrote:
Polot wrote:
There won’t be much of an issue. ~15 years ago a NW DC-10 actually had an emergency diversion to Tehran. They were still able to get things checked out and pay for fuel (I think diversion was a false alarm). Plane and passengers got out.

Northwest Flight 41 in June 2005 from Mumbai-Amsterdam. Yep, it was a false alarm. There is an AWESOME podcast from back in 2010 where the captain of that flight describes the incident in extreme detail. By some amazing stroke of luck, the captain had flown for Iran Air before the revolution and know some Farsi. It's really interesting to hear how they navigated the cultural, political, and logistic challenges. I listen to it once every couple of months because it's just that good.

You can get it free here:
http://www.flightpodcast.com/episode-4- ... nto-tehran


An interesting side bar to the NW DC10 diversion is that the Captain, Bo Corby, had flown under contract for Iran Air previous to joining up with NWA. When he pulled into the gate, he was met by several former Iranian ground workers that he knew from his previous experience working there. Aviation can be a very small world at times.
 
aden23
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Re: Norwegian 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:36 pm

I think the real story here is that there is a 7+
hour 737 flight. I’d rather walk.
 
BritTraveller
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Norwegian 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:36 pm

aden23 wrote:
I think the real story here is that there is a 7+
hour 737 flight. I’d rather walk.


Whats the difference between comfort in a 737 and a widebody.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 3928
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:42 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Section 560.528 of the ITR provides that specific licenses may be issued, on a case-bycase
basis, for the exportation and reexportation of goods, services and technology to
insure the safety of civil aviation and safe operation of U.S.-origin commercial passenger
aircraft.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... /iran.aspx

If the aircraft is unairworthy without a part and such parts cannot be obtained or repaired otherwise, I guess they (or their maintenance contractor) might try to get such a license for this particular case, for the particular parts needed.

I'm not sure though, if they could pursue such a license for an Airbus or any other non-US aircraft. Would be very inconvenient to divert to Iran only to have the plane stuck there.

They’ll just fly a spare engine in. No big deal.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 3928
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:44 pm

smartplane wrote:
a300 wrote:
I don't see why the part would require an OFAC license. It is a Norwegian-flagged aircraft in the fleet of a non-Iranian legal entity.

The ban not only includes named Iranian operators, but Iran as a whole. And also includes export of testing / diagnostic equipment, and trained technicians and technology transfer. Using Iranian technicians would be an issue if knowledge is acquired in the process, and accessing technical files online from PW within Iran is blocked.

In a perfect world, the operator puts replacement parts and testing / diagnostic equipment on board the rescue aircraft, together with trained staff, borrows hanger space, tools and local expertise, and the aircraft is back in the air asap.

If the part has to be ordered in / foreign contractors used............... A lot of t's will need to be crossed, and i's dotted, to ensure no collateral trade damage due to the perception or reality of embargo busting, including the re-export of all faulty / replaced parts.
Norwegian are gonna use sketchy Iranian mechanics they don’t know. They’ll just fly their own in. Airlines with no relationships don’t just fix each other’s planes.
 
cbphoto
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:23 am

Re: Norweigan 737 Max Diverts to Shiraz, Iran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Kadish wrote:
Glad the passengers are getting rescued at least !


[/quote]Rescued?! Is there a war and I havent noticed?
I was in Iran last summer n believe me they are extremly friendly, caring....the worst the heat but im not sure they cant be blamed for that.[/quote]

I don’t think they meant it that way. We use the term “rescue” for flights here in the states that rescue a plane that went tech. I’m sure that’s all they meant by that comment.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos