Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirFiero

Re: United starting Stockton-LAX service in 2019?

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:38 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
Another interesting fact appearing in media articles today:

In 2017, the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors considered adding “San Francisco” to the name of Stockton’s airport in an effort to draw more attention to the area and drum up more business. Though San Francisco International Airport’s director and a Bay Area congresswoman objected, SFO officials helped bring the service to Stockton.

“That drew the attention of San Francisco airport,” said San Joaquin County District 3 Supervisor Tom Patti, a member of the San Joaquin County Aviation Advisory Committee. “They’re overburdened with some of these small flights and they want to bring less traffic to SFO, and they know this region is underserved.”
http://www.recordnet.com/news/20181219/stockton-airport-adding-new-service-to-los-angeles/1

When Stockton Airport considered changing its name last year to include “San Francisco,” executives at San Francisco International met with Stockton Airport executives and county officials, according to Patti, who represents parts of Lathrop, Manteca and Stockton.

During the meetings, San Francisco International said they were overburdened by flights, Patti said, and helped facilitate the conversations with United Airways that resulted in the new direct flights from Stockton to Los Angeles.
http://www.lodinews.com/news/article_eec7afc6-042a-11e9-b237-b3bf03219b50.html

So, SFO basically told SCK they *didn’t* want flights between the two airports because SFO is overcrowded? Wow.

I’ll bet SJC would not say the same thing. Might be a place for a smaller hub. :D

SurfandSnow

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Wonderful news! I daresay SCK could serve as a wonderful hassle-free gateway to places like Lake Tahoe and Wine Country.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

N383SW

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:18 am

During the meetings, San Francisco International said they were overburdened by flights, Patti said, and helped facilitate the conversations with United Airways that resulted in the new direct flights from Stockton to Los Angeles.
http://www.lodinews.com/news/article_eec7afc6-042a-11e9-b237-b3bf03219b50.html
[/quote][/quote]

Good ole United Airways! hahaha.. sorry couldn't resist

DesertAir

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:55 am

CWizard wrote:
I was going to say, many, but I don't really remember, so let's say, a few airlines used the Stockton airport to practice landings and touch and goes. As a teenager I use to drive out there and park on the frontage road at the end of the runway and watch. Jets of all sizes came and went. IIRC, it is a 10,000 foot runway.

I did the same in the early 1970's...I recall PanAm and TWA 747 touch and go practice. As I was reading the press release I recalled taking a late evening UA flight from SFO to SCK that stopped in Modesto on a 737.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos