Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

runningonempty
Topic Author

WN to Suspend Daily ISP-FLL eff 6/9/19

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:15 am

This route adjustment has gone somewhat unnoticed, however, barring it not being loaded into the Res System yet, it appears that Southwest will shift Islip to Fort Lauderdale flights on June 9th, 2019 from 1-2x daily to now Saturday only. Disappointing to see a route flown over ten years get the axe. Unsure as to what led to this particular decision, however I could imagine F9 might have made a dent in the high fares they once commanded at ISP.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity

mark787

Re: WN to Discontinue Daily ISP-FLL eff 6/9/19

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 am

That's extremely disappointing to hear although im not too surprised. WN had reduced FLL to mostly a 1x daily flight with I think it on Sat or something where you have to non stop flights. Now, having to change at BWI basically has eliminated WN as my choice to fly to FLL. It makes no sense to me why they have done this. Florida in general is ISP's biggest market. F9 is not exactly what I would like to fly as their fares fluctuate too much to make it viable for my family to fly. Always thought that WN would add a non stop to FLL out of LGA, but this has yet to happen. I guess I was right when I said a few years back that WN seemed to be slowly moving out of ISP. I would hope to see another airline come in on this route other than F9.

n562wn

WN to Discontinue Daily ISP-FLL eff 6/9/19

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:30 am

Any chance this is merely due to the runway closure at FLL? That's my guess as the timing seems to gel. I wouldn't be surprised to see it return to daily once FLL is fully operational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

mark787

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:03 am

I originally thought the same thing but then why eliminate the only non stop flight between the two cities for a runway closure and inconvenience travelers who want this non stop flight? If I book a flight to FLL and I see that I have to stop over at BWI, ATL or anywhere else, I would then find myself booking with B6 or Delta out of JFK rather than using WN with a 1 stop flight. I know a few folks already who always used WN to FLL who have now switched to B6 ever since WN cut back on their non stops out of ISP. I would have expected it to make more sense to cut a few of the connecting flights out of BWI during the runway closure and have added a 738 on the once daily non stop out of ISP. This non stop flight typically has very good loads that I frequently see as sold out. So I find it odd that WN would curtail it for the runway repairs at FLL.

RL757PVD

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:41 am

Over a half a dozen cities lose their daily WN FLL nonstops this summer most certainly due to the runway project. The busy airport capacity is reduced by 50% and it’s the north runway by WN gates meaning each taxi would be probably pushing 30 min between the delays and the distance.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

jfklganyc

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:39 am

Hopefully this is for the FLL runway.

Because if it is not...WN is all but done at ISP.

ISP is a marginal airport. Success is in flights to MCO PBI FLL. Beyond that, WN has BWI.

New Yorkers, by and large, dont connect for Florida. Just a rule of thumb.

Again, hopefully it is just the runway. Time will tell

wnflyguy

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:58 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

ISP is a marginal airport. Success is in flights to MCO PBI FLL. Beyond that, WN has BWI.

WN made major adjustment to FLL for the planned Runway closing.
Estimated push to take off times are 30min from T1 during the construction.
Reviewing previous schedules to this one they built in A lot of extra time into each flight into the June schedule.
I asked when it was released about all the cuts and was Told they were temporary until the construction is finished. They put In place the most flexible system for connections to accommodate there customers during the runway closing.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

evank516

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:12 pm

I can't imagine this isn't because of the runway closure. ISP-FLL has been around since the early 2000s. Service will probably continue on F9 though.

lat41

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:36 pm

The name of this thread should use "suspended", not discontinued. In fact it should not be a thread at all. The squeeze on FLL flying this Summer due to runway reconstruction is well documented elsewhere. ISP is not being singled out.

isp2

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:38 pm

evank516 wrote:
I can't imagine this isn't because of the runway closure. ISP-FLL has been around since the early 2000s. Service will probably continue on F9 though.

Not only will FLL-ISP continue on F9, look for announcement of a new F9 market out of FLL today!

evank516

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:41 pm

lat41 wrote:
The name of this thread should use "suspended", not discontinued. In fact it should not be a thread at all. The squeeze on FLL flying this Summer due to runway reconstruction is well documented elsewhere. ISP is not being singled out.

Agreed. It'll probably be back once the construction is finished.

Dominion301

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:46 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

WN made major adjustment to FLL for the planned Runway closing.
Estimated push to take off times are 30min from T1 during the construction.
Reviewing previous schedules to this one they built in A lot of extra time into each flight into the June schedule.
I asked when it was released about all the cuts and was Told they were temporary until the construction is finished. They put In place the most flexible system for connections to accommodate there customers during the runway closing.

Flyguy

Makes total sense.

lat41 wrote:

Agreed. In fact the thread title should be change to "reducing" as Saturday service remains throughout.

BobbyPSP

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Easy route to suspend. Unless hooking up with a cruise, Long Island is beautiful in the summer with gorgeous beaches all along the south shore/Fire Island.

No need to escape to FLL!

Just my opinion from spending all my summers as a kid out on the island.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos