a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Iberia announced today further growths mainly at the European network.

Will launch several summer-seasonal routes: Bergen, Bastia, Corfu & Genoa.

IBExpress will launch flights to Zadar and Bari, also summer seasonal.

ATH, HAM, FLR will grow to 11x week from 7. Some residual growth for BUD, ZAG, DBV.

Some previously IBExpress/Air Nostrum routes are transferred to Iberia mainline: Olbia, Faro, and Oslo which will be year-round also.

On top of what they had already announced for South America (UIO, GIG, LIM and MVD all increasing frequencies) Iberia's CEO confirmed (again) they will increase the frequencies on MAD-BOG route to 10x week. This announcement was made one year ago, for this current season 2018, never happened.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:51 am

I see grow in loads but not yields.

Summer season service to tourist spots like this don't bring yield grow. Only way to compete is by offering LCC fares.

Long haul fleet has been increasing density, reducing J cabin on A346's and configuring A359 with just 31J.

Public get excited about new routes being announced but I'm afraid IAG's shareholders do not.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
Someone83
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:55 am

Any links to these news?

Or what will the year round frequency be to OSL and the seasonal to BGO?
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:35 am

BGO will be flown twice weekly. OSL, which past summers was operated by IBExpress, has been announced now as an Iberia mainline route.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/empresas ... a_1714890/ (link is just in Spanish).

Flights are not on sale yet.
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
I see grow in loads but not yields.

Summer season service to tourist spots like this don't bring yield grow. Only way to compete is by offering LCC fares.

Long haul fleet has been increasing density, reducing J cabin on A346's and configuring A359 with just 31J.

Public get excited about new routes being announced but I'm afraid IAG's shareholders do not.


I agree on what you say. The growth is residual and mainly stays in summer season. They have still lots of places where they could potentially grow year round, like Colombia, also commented.

Said that, let's remember Iberia is an IAG managed airline, so I would assume they have done the numbers (in London) to exactly figure out whether that decrease on the J product is in benefit of the Premium Economy which has been very much announced in several routes, so that the grand total revenue increases, or remains more stable through the network.

Most of the Economy section of the cabin for Iberia-long haul routes to SA isn't exactly cheap. Since there is not a lot of competition (UX mainly), and I would say a heavy part of Iberia's customers base for South America book their trips through travel agents, that has benefited a lot Iberia yields in Y fares to South America. I am sure they are giving away many more seats in the routes to Asia, which see lots of competitors from every possible hub in Europe. The J product sees also decreases in the loads when the economy of South America constraints (see now in Argentina), and this tends to be quite often in some markets, so I am pretty sure Iberia is doing everything they can to maximize the business.

They announced there are 4 A350s coming this 2019, the 3 first had been announced, seems like the 4th will only arrive in Dec19. Hopefully, Colombia finally gets the 10x/week frequencies and they boost GRU, LIM and UIO which in my opinion are key markets.
 
pabloeing
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:53 am

9 new planes in 2019.....4 A350-900 and 5 A320NEO
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 am

pabloeing wrote:
9 new planes in 2019.....4 A350-900 and 5 A320NEO


Correct, although I'd assume there is no much growth (just that 6% Gallego mentioned) in the short-haul section, since most of those 5 will be to replace older ones.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 am

Bastia is also a new Volotea route.

I am surprised about Corfu. Maybe it is time to try somewhere outside Croatia, like Montenegro or Slovenia?
 
User avatar
capshandler
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:45 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:18 am

If I’d were them I’d definitely open a second hub in BCN. We’re lacking of decent Business products as well as decent service. It could be an interesting growth vector. May be splitting east and west from BCN/MAD as you’ve got a strong corridor betweeb both cities as well as heavy maintenance facilities... just an idea! Don’t roast me!! ;)
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:24 am

Have you heard of Vueling?
 
User avatar
capshandler
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:45 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
Have you heard of Vueling?


Mmm I see. Whether you din't fly them or you went quite fast reading. I was referring to the lack of service and business products in BCN in general (Vueling not offering neither of those), with emphasis on long haul.
 
OGLOBAL
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm

capshandler wrote:
If I’d were them I’d definitely open a second hub in BCN. We’re lacking of decent Business products as well as decent service. It could be an interesting growth vector. May be splitting east and west from BCN/MAD as you’ve got a strong corridor betweeb both cities as well as heavy maintenance facilities... just an idea! Don’t roast me!! ;)


that's how it was at the beginning but it's not a bad idea but not going to happen IB just like BA like to focus on one hub .
i mean air fare from BCN to south america is not cheap and i think it's a market they should tap on
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:34 pm

capshandler wrote:
lhrsfosyd wrote:
Have you heard of Vueling?


Mmm I see. Whether you din't fly them or you went quite fast reading. I was referring to the lack of service and business products in BCN in general (Vueling not offering neither of those), with emphasis on long haul.


Have you heard of Level?
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:49 pm

capshandler wrote:
If I’d were them I’d definitely open a second hub in BCN. We’re lacking of decent Business products as well as decent service. It could be an interesting growth vector. May be splitting east and west from BCN/MAD as you’ve got a strong corridor betweeb both cities as well as heavy maintenance facilities... just an idea! Don’t roast me!! ;)


For some reason no airline seems to believe BCN could be a hub for a full service airline. The best shot would've been UX establishing their long haul hub in BCN instead of competing face-to face with IB at MAD but that has never been considered by UX ownership. JK had a plan but it failed for different reasons.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
AntonioMartin
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Wonder when they will return year-round service to SJU..and IF they ever will...
 
TheSonntag
Posts: 4439
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 pm

One of the Major regions for growth will probably be the Transport of government officials, including chancellors ;).
 
airlinermiami
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm

Iberia should open some new long -haul routes...like Montreal, Toronto, Brasilia , Monterey or Guadalajara in Mexico....come back to Guayaquil..In North America,even though the growth has been steady and solid...Iberia because of the ATI and Join Ventures with AA...only fly to AA hubs...and they already cover pretty much all their main hubs either with IB metal or AA metal...May be I will add a second daily MAD-ORD for the summer months...and keep SFO as a year round service...
For me , Houston is a main market which it is not served from MAD..probably UA will add it sooner than later...as they already serve Newark and Washington from MAD.
 
icareflies
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:52 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Just read on BBC.COM that EU has decided that in case of no Brexit agreement BA would not be able to fly with in EU so my guess IB will take over for BA if we get to that situation.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46617152
AF777-300ER and 9W737-900 - Love it! Love it
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:07 pm

icareflies wrote:
Just read on BBC.COM that EU has decided that in case of no Brexit agreement BA would not be able to fly with in EU so my guess IB will take over for BA if we get to that situation.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46617152


As per the article, BA (or any other British airline) will not be able to fly WITHIN the EU just like any other country in the world. It specifically says the contigency plan will allow BA to fly from UK to and from the EU:

"British airlines to operate flights into and out of the EU - but not within it"
 
himarhernandez
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 pm

airlinermiami wrote:
Iberia should open some new long -haul routes...like Montreal, Toronto, Brasilia , Monterey or Guadalajara in Mexico....come back to Guayaquil..In North America,even though the growth has been steady and solid...Iberia because of the ATI and Join Ventures with AA...only fly to AA hubs...and they already cover pretty much all their main hubs either with IB metal or AA metal...May be I will add a second daily MAD-ORD for the summer months...and keep SFO as a year round service...
For me , Houston is a main market which it is not served from MAD..probably UA will add it sooner than later...as they already serve Newark and Washington from MAD.



I fly them every year out of Chicago. At one point (maybe 4 years ago?) they had two daily flights MAD-ORD. I believe that it was in the summers but not sure why that stopped.
 
mfe777
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:03 pm

I wish Iberia would have jumped on MAD-DFW instead of the second daily added by AA. One daily on each AA and Iberia would have been optimal for us who are tired of AA's declining standards.
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Iberia is very conservative in the way they deploy the markets they serve. Adding frequencies only happens when they are fully established. ORD has been daily now, year-round, for quite a while. It's the only port in the States (apart from JFK and MIA) which sees Iberia planes daily. It would be feasible to imagine a double daily operation at some point, first during the summer season. Not casually they have chosen ORD as the second destination in the US to deploy the A350.

On the other hand, to the comments related to the need of developing a BCN hub, I think everything is possible in aviation, but I certainly have problems to imagine Iberia back in Barcelona with its own identity and brand in a near future. I am not saying with this BCN lacks potential to sustain some connections. In fact, they do have them: ICN, HGK, PVG, PEK, SIN, YYZ, AUH, DOH, DXB, JFK, EWR, LIM, SCL, EZE, GRU, ORD, PHL, ATL.... what else? Does anyone doubt at this point of the potential which BCN has in long-haul operations? BCN may even be slightly above, or next-to other secondary-recognized-hubs of some countries in Europe, namely ARN, CPH, MAN, HEL, DUS....?

Said that, don't blame Iberia for not wanting to explore any hub opportunities for TATL operations there. They are a business, not a political project, and Iberia sees Barcelona as a destination, not like a base (despite having one), not like a hub. No one in Spain can blame Iberia for acting this way cause they are not anymore a public company, so 100% of their decisions are (supposedly) taken according to business viability. I don't see either anything in particular with the Spanish case by having just one main-intercontinental-hub. Which other countries in Europe do have more than just one hub for their main airlines? I can only think of Germany, okey.... and Italy if you want to consider MXP for what Air Italy is doing.
 
airlinermiami
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 pm

a350lover wrote:
Iberia is very conservative in the way they deploy the markets they serve. Adding frequencies only happens when they are fully established. ORD has been daily now, year-round, for quite a while. It's the only port in the States (apart from JFK and MIA) which sees Iberia planes daily. It would be feasible to imagine a double daily operation at some point, first during the summer season. Not casually they have chosen ORD as the second destination in the US to deploy the A350.

On the other hand, to the comments related to the need of developing a BCN hub, I think everything is possible in aviation, but I certainly have problems to imagine Iberia back in Barcelona with its own identity and brand in a near future. I am not saying with this BCN lacks potential to sustain some connections. In fact, they do have them: ICN, HGK, PVG, PEK, SIN, YYZ, AUH, DOH, DXB, JFK, EWR, LIM, SCL, EZE, GRU, ORD, PHL, ATL.... what else? Does anyone doubt at this point of the potential which BCN has in long-haul operations? BCN may even be slightly above, or next-to other secondary-recognized-hubs of some countries in Europe, namely ARN, CPH, MAN, HEL, DUS....?

Said that, don't blame Iberia for not wanting to explore any hub opportunities for TATL operations there. They are a business, not a political project, and Iberia sees Barcelona as a destination, not like a base (despite having one), not like a hub. No one in Spain can blame Iberia for acting this way cause they are not anymore a public company, so 100% of their decisions are (supposedly) taken according to business viability. I don't see either anything in particular with the Spanish case by having just one main-intercontinental-hub. Which other countries in Europe do have more than just one hub for their main airlines? I can only think of Germany, okey.... and Italy if you want to consider MXP for what Air Italy is doing.



Iberia also flies daily to LAX and BOS but not year round . Honestly I understand IAG strategy with Iberia but I think if they can , I should add more frequencies to Chicago. Iberia in Dallas as the second frequency it should be great but may be is easier to add frequencies in airports where Iberia currently flies and have a established handling agreements.

Besides Houston and may be Orlando as a seasonal destination...What other US destinations you think that may work well from MAD either as a year round or seasonal ? I truly think that the US-MAD market has still quite a bit of potential for growth.
I would like to hear your suggestions..
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Madrid-Orlando would be ideal for Norwegian, IMO.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:20 pm

IB being part of IAG and the TATL JV with AA and BA are the main reasons why IB is so conservative in the US market by mostly flying to OW hubs.

IAG strategy is having IB focused in SouthAm biggest markets and BA in NorthAm ones. They are happy to funnel MAD-US traffic through LHR and LHR-SouthAm traffic through MAD.

OTOH, from a business perpective it doesn't matter what metal flies what route as long as the JV is in place.

As surprised as I am to see a 2nd daily DFW-MAD before a 2nd daily ORD-MAD I supposed they have done a throughly check of figures and stats to support that decision.

I think IAH-MAD could be established but if UA haven't gone for it I'm afraid IB won't either. UA's customer base and feeder network in Houston is much larger than IB's in Madrid.

Instead of new markets in US/Canada I see frequency increase on current markets, seasonal to year-round, x times a week to daily, etc.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
LupineChemist
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:27 pm

MAD-IAD would be a big potential market for IB in the US. DC has a pretty big AA Frequent flyer base, and lots of government traffic competing with the UA 757. And before anyone mentions it, yes, US government travel can use IB, so long as it's sold on an AA code. Everyone who does government travel knows to go for the codeshares to get international carriers.
 
aircatalonia
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:50 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:27 pm

The chances of IB establishing a hub in BCN are zero. Even if IAG (London) saw some potential in that, IB would block it from the start.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:04 pm

aircatalonia wrote:
The chances of IB establishing a hub in BCN are zero. Even if IAG (London) saw some potential in that, IB would block it from the start.


IB can not block a business decision made by the IAG board as IB is a subsidairy of IAG holding and it doesn't work that way.

An IB hub in BCN won't happen because IAG doesn't see the potential for profit and that's it. Days of IB as state-owned are long gone.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
airlinermiami
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:17 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
aircatalonia wrote:
The chances of IB establishing a hub in BCN are zero. Even if IAG (London) saw some potential in that, IB would block it from the start.


IB can not block a business decision made by the IAG board as IB is a subsidairy of IAG holding and it doesn't work that way.

An IB hub in BCN won't happen because IAG doesn't see the potential for profit and that's it. Days of IB as state-owned are long gone.



Can't BA block any IAG board decisions either?
 
airlinermiami
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:23 pm

It is quite strange that neither IB nor UA/CO have started HOU yet...a few years back, I read that HOU was one of the future routes to be opened out of MAD...but so far as everyone knows nothing has yet been announced or rumored. However, I still think that it will happen sooner than we think.
I don't believe that opening HOU , it will canibilize much of the DFW-MAD traffic. I think there is enough organic traffic to make this route possible and profitable even if they start as a seasonal service.
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:12 pm

I could see 3x weekly CPT winter only work. Perhaps on the days when LGWCPT and MADJNB aren't operating (257).
 
airlinermiami
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
I could see 3x weekly CPT winter only work. Perhaps on the days when LGWCPT and MADJNB aren't operating (257).



Definitely , MAD-CPT on IB 3X should perfectly work. I believe MAD-CPT should be on the table for IAG/IB as a coming new long-haul from MAD.

Another one, I see working MAD-MCO on Norwegian .
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:48 pm

airlinermiami wrote:
It is quite strange that neither IB nor UA/CO have started HOU yet...a few years back, I read that HOU was one of the future routes to be opened out of MAD...but so far as everyone knows nothing has yet been announced or rumored. However, I still think that it will happen sooner than we think.
I don't believe that opening HOU , it will canibilize much of the DFW-MAD traffic. I think there is enough organic traffic to make this route possible and profitable even if they start as a seasonal service.


The relationship between US airlnes and MAD (or Spain in general) has been quite weak during the years.

Back when Star Alliance US carriers where US and UA, UA did not touch MAD. Just during a brief moment (3 years?) when UA outsourced DUB-IAD to Aer Lingus, MAD was included with in the deal. United code, but AerLingus metal.
US had a flight to MAD with its former strategy of operating as a "sort of" 7th freedom flights The PHL-MAD flight was in fact LAX-PHL-MAD. Other European ports were also served that way.
It seems JK Spanair help was.... no help at all to improve connectivity between the countries.

Then back in the days Skyteam had 3 carriers in the US (DL, NW and CO) and AirEuropa was entering as associate member. CO flew MAD-EWR and UX put its code on this service and about 20 US ports beyond EWR. No IAH, no CLE.
While NW and UX had a reciprocal FF agreement, no airport saw both NW and UX together. And of course no flights from DTW... of course course course no SEA and NRT was imposible.
And DL had the ATL flight and the JFK flight which, if im not wrong, was a triangular route DL90 JFK-BCN-MAD-JFK.

Time has passed and nothing has changed much outside IB-AA, but it really has boomed within IB-AA
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:09 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
I could see 3x weekly CPT winter only work. Perhaps on the days when LGWCPT and MADJNB aren't operating (257).


Very few Spaniards travel to South Africa on holidays. Particularly on "Instagram" winter holidays to Cape Town area. Most Spaniards travelling to ZA for holiday are old-style safari trips for which JNB is fine. There are not many South Africans in Spain either.

There is basically no market for that route (unless Iberia would plan to sell cheap connections... I am sure plenty of people would travel LON-MAD-CPT... but that is not a sustainable model).
 
BA777FO
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:14 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
aircatalonia wrote:
The chances of IB establishing a hub in BCN are zero. Even if IAG (London) saw some potential in that, IB would block it from the start.


IB can not block a business decision made by the IAG board as IB is a subsidairy of IAG holding and it doesn't work that way.

An IB hub in BCN won't happen because IAG doesn't see the potential for profit and that's it. Days of IB as state-owned are long gone.


It doesn't quite work like that either - the individual opcos come up with the proposals and then IAG approve or don't approve/suggest amendments before funds are released.

IAG doesn't have its own network planners so that work is done entirely by the individual opcos.

But it is correct that if IAG makes a decision for one opco another couldn't veto it, but generally that wouldn't be required anyway as IAG knows better than to do things that would harm its own business. BCN won't be a hub for IB - that's what Veuling and Level are for.
 
tobsw
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
lhrsfosyd wrote:
I could see 3x weekly CPT winter only work. Perhaps on the days when LGWCPT and MADJNB aren't operating (257).


Very few Spaniards travel to South Africa on holidays. Particularly on "Instagram" winter holidays to Cape Town area. Most Spaniards travelling to ZA for holiday are old-style safari trips for which JNB is fine. There are not many South Africans in Spain either.

There is basically no market for that route (unless Iberia would plan to sell cheap connections... I am sure plenty of people would travel LON-MAD-CPT... but that is not a sustainable model).


That's the case,,, there are people that look for the winter sun, but they either go to the Canaries, or Central/South America.

South Africa is not really a destination for Spaniards, except for Safari and so (unlike Brits...)
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:26 pm

MADCPT would of course rely on connections including to and from the US. Day flight to South Africa and red eye back would work out cheaper and would be a bit more competitive for US East Coast connections. Europe to CPT is still an undeserved market and yields are high for a flight of that length. Plenty of people from all over Europe connect via LHR to CPT - a market which could be redirected via MAD thus releasing seats on LHRCPT.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
MADCPT would of course rely on connections including to and from the US. Day flight to South Africa and red eye back would work out cheaper and would be a bit more competitive for US East Coast connections. Europe to CPT is still an undeserved market and yields are high for a flight of that length. Plenty of people from all over Europe connect via LHR to CPT - a market which could be redirected via MAD thus releasing seats on LHRCPT.


That is what MADJNB is for. JNB is a Comair hub.
 
User avatar
capshandler
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:45 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:44 pm

We cannot compare Vueling/Level with Iberia nor BA. Barcelona is what Milano is for Italy to say the least. Strong industrial activity and right now a strong developed tech ecosystem. When I say BCN is under served is not a political statement, is because I fly 140 days a year and I’m able to see with what kind of passengers I share cabin space. Take AA’s case to Miami. I’d say it’s quite successful to me and the yields don’t seem poor (taking into account the Business average price). Forget for a moment politics and the bad reputation we’ve got in the last years. BCN area is a wealthy developed ecosystem, frankly I don’t see why we don’t have a Hub potential. I think nobody tryed hard sincerely. International carriers are filling their business and economy plus cabins. And no, I’m not in favor of Catalonia independence or related ideologies. Quite the opposite in fact. Just a business humble opinion.
 
gregpodpl
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:49 pm

I hope Iberia will finally start flying to WAW. It's really annoying they are still not here...
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:00 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
lhrsfosyd wrote:
MADCPT would of course rely on connections including to and from the US. Day flight to South Africa and red eye back would work out cheaper and would be a bit more competitive for US East Coast connections. Europe to CPT is still an undeserved market and yields are high for a flight of that length. Plenty of people from all over Europe connect via LHR to CPT - a market which could be redirected via MAD thus releasing seats on LHRCPT.


That is what MADJNB is for. JNB is a Comair hub.


MADJNB does not cater to Europe/US-CPT traffic.
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:09 pm

capshandler wrote:
We cannot compare Vueling/Level with Iberia nor BA. Barcelona is what Milano is for Italy to say the least. Strong industrial activity and right now a strong developed tech ecosystem. When I say BCN is under served is not a political statement, is because I fly 140 days a year and I’m able to see with what kind of passengers I share cabin space. Take AA’s case to Miami. I’d say it’s quite successful to me and the yields don’t seem poor (taking into account the Business average price). Forget for a moment politics and the bad reputation we’ve got in the last years. BCN area is a wealthy developed ecosystem, frankly I don’t see why we don’t have a Hub potential. I think nobody tryed hard sincerely. International carriers are filling their business and economy plus cabins. And no, I’m not in favor of Catalonia independence or related ideologies. Quite the opposite in fact. Just a business humble opinion.


Barcelona is certainly not what Milan is to Italy. Barcelona is not a financial capital of the country nor does it sit in a centre of a large and wealthy region. Barcelona, like Nice, attracts some high yield traffic but not in an amount that can sustain a large network carrier. Legacy short haul does not work in Europe outside main financial capitals.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Aisak wrote:
icareflies wrote:
Just read on BBC.COM that EU has decided that in case of no Brexit agreement BA would not be able to fly with in EU so my guess IB will take over for BA if we get to that situation.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46617152


As per the article, BA (or any other British airline) will not be able to fly WITHIN the EU just like any other country in the world. It specifically says the contigency plan will allow BA to fly from UK to and from the EU:

"British airlines to operate flights into and out of the EU - but not within it"


Brexit won't have any real affect on British Airways anyway as they as an airline don't operate any intra European flights, they are all direct flights from the United Kingdom, nothing will change for the airline it will be business as usual flying from the United Kingdom to the European Union as they currently do.

Easyjet and WIZZ have already made preliminary changes to their operations such as,

EasyJet have recently added an Austrian AOC
WIZZ have recently obtained a U.K. AOC

Other British airlines won't be affected anyway as,

Virgin Atlantic don't operate intra European flights
Jet2 don't operate intra European flights
Flybe don't operate intra European flights
Loganair don't operate intra European flights
Thomas Cook Airlines don't operate intra European flights but are German owned.
TUI UK don't operate intra European flights but are German owned.

Ryanair being an Irish airline and with Ireland being a member of the EU the airline can operate from any country within the European Common Area to the United Kingdom which includes the 27 other countries that make up the European Union plus countries such as Norway and Switzerland and those countries that have an open skies policy with the European Union such as Jordan and Ukraine which means that the airline can continue to fly to the United Kingdom without any real issues.

The only British airlines that currently operate a few intra European flights of their own are BMI Regional and Eastern Airways and I'm not sure what's happening with them, it's not a substantial amount anyway so I should imagine that both airlines will just cease operating those affected routes.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Kadish
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 am

Canada, Washington and Asia should be the next place for IB to start.
Going daily to Tokio and year round to SFO.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Cunard wrote:
Aisak wrote:
icareflies wrote:
Just read on BBC.COM that EU has decided that in case of no Brexit agreement BA would not be able to fly with in EU so my guess IB will take over for BA if we get to that situation.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46617152


As per the article, BA (or any other British airline) will not be able to fly WITHIN the EU just like any other country in the world. It specifically says the contigency plan will allow BA to fly from UK to and from the EU:

"British airlines to operate flights into and out of the EU - but not within it"


Brexit won't have any real affect on British Airways anyway as they as an airline don't operate any intra European flights, they are all direct flights from the United Kingdom, nothing will change for the airline it will be business as usual flying from the United Kingdom to the European Union as they currently do.


With all the uncertainties about how Brexit will take shape I won't make such a hard statement regarding IAG'future post-Brexit.

According to spanish media EU commission is warning IAG that IB will loose traffic rights within the EU unless to 51%+ ownership are based in EU.

https://elpais.com/internacional/2018/1 ... 03974.html
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 pm

They must be working on the "hardest scenario". I don't see IAG missing this point. IAG is just a tiny piece of the whole World Economy which at so many different layers would be equally affected by this. For obvious reasons, aviation is the industry which first of all needs to look for new ways to co-exist with the final scenario which Brexit may bring. Sadi that, the exposure of IAG to all this story (and Iberia of course) is more critical. As critical as some Spanish publications like Expansion said: "IB to loose all rights to fly within Spain and Europe" for being considered a UK airline? No, I certainly don't believe in that scenario.
Last edited by a350lover on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Kadish wrote:
Canada, Washington and Asia should be the next place for IB to start.
Going daily to Tokio and year round to SFO.


Before any other new country, I see some possibilities -in the mid term-, for a MAD-IAD. There are many cities in South America which Iberia should look at once they have efficient planes to operate thinner routes, namely Cali, Córdoba, Cartagena o Guayaquil.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:02 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
Barcelona is certainly not what Milan is to Italy. Barcelona is not a financial capital of the country nor does it sit in a centre of a large and wealthy region. Barcelona, like Nice, attracts some high yield traffic but not in an amount that can sustain a large network carrier. Legacy short haul does not work in Europe outside main financial capitals.


BCN is quite an unique market for its size in Europe. I reckon the closest thing would be Orlando or Las Vegas in the US.
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:45 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
According to spanish media EU commission is warning IAG that IB will loose traffic rights within the EU unless to 51%+ ownership are based in EU.

https://elpais.com/internacional/2018/1 ... 03974.html


Please, let me take those news with all kind of reservations.

That article quotes IAG being British. You and me know IAG is Spanish.
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia set to grow another 6% next year, mostly in Europe

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm

Extra 3 frequencies to Bogota already on sale. Schedules as follow:

IB6587 MAD-BOG 1820-2130 1-3-5-- A346
IB6588 BOG-MAD 2330-1630 1-3-5-- A346

It'll operate year round together with the daily departure from MAD 12:10h, which returns from Bogota at 17:00h.

I am not sure if the schedule will go well for onwards connections to Europe/Spain but certainly Colombia needed this increase.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos