Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

marcogr12
Topic Author

Where did Easyjet fail where others succeeded?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:39 pm

I was thinking about Easyjet's huge progress and expansion throughout the decade and although is one of my favorite LCCs, i couldn't help wondering what went wrong with some of its bases..FCO,MAD,HAM were all bases and then boom they close..Reason-as stated low yields/profitability..I asked two years ago the crew on a HAM flight and they told me they were told that the company was no longer no 1 or 2 at HAM..FR invasion i suppose..But still it had built such a good and loyal base pax and other it seemed odd that a newcomer like FR would displace them..
And then there is MAD and FCO..Easy left, FR,NO and Vueling came in..So why are they staying and how are they supposedly more profitable than Easy ever was so that it'd force it to close its base down?

And then there are other bases like LIS ?Is Easy no1 or 2 there? Or BOD,MRS,NAP where there is extremely competitive environment by the likes of FR,Volotea,Vueling or even ORY (Vueling,AF,Transavia).What gives? i am truly baffled.
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

george77300

Re: Where did Easyjet fail where others succeeded?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:48 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
I was thinking about Easyjet's huge progress and expansion throughout the decade and although is one of my favorite LCCs, i couldn't help wondering what went wrong with some of its bases..FCO,MAD,HAM were all bases and then boom they close..Reason-as stated low yields/profitability..I asked two years ago the crew on a HAM flight and they told me they were told that the company was no longer no 1 or 2 at HAM..FR invasion i suppose..But still it had built such a good and loyal base pax and other it seemed odd that a newcomer like FR would displace them..
And then there is MAD and FCO..Easy left, FR,NO and Vueling came in..So why are they staying and how are they supposedly more profitable than Easy ever was so that it'd force it to close its base down?

And then there are other bases like LIS ?Is Easy no1 or 2 there? Or BOD,MRS,NAP where there is extremely competitive environment by the likes of FR,Volotea,Vueling or even ORY (Vueling,AF,Transavia).What gives? i am truly baffled.

I can’t answer some of that but EasyJet still fly to all 3 destinations you mention and some from a variety of different bases. Whether it is a base or not doesn’t necessarily matter if they fly to a whole load of other bases from it. Ryanair for example (possibly EasyJet too) have a number of cities they fly to much much more regularly than some of their bases and by contrast technically have a base elsewhere with just one or two aircraft and have much smaller passenger numbers but a base.

So I guess downsizing certain places indicates unprofitability but whether it is technically a base or not doesn’t necessarily indicate the same.

LuxuryTravelled

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:49 pm

And now they are becoming No2 at their home airport - surely they can’t be happy about that...

Easy didn’t expand quick enough with the original airbus order, it should have been much bigger. Which in turn meant they lost out when Ryanair made the switch to concentrating more on primary airports. Easy just did have the capacity to fight everywhere.

Galwayman

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:49 pm

They’ve failed everywhere FR and Wizz have succeeded because they’ve failed to keep their costs low enough

a350lover

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Being a low cost carrier, they have never been different enough to justify higher fares in most of those markets you named. Costs are way lower in Ryanair, Wizzair, even in Vueling or Volotea. Although Norwegian followed an interesting strategy outsourcing a lot of the production out of its expensive-home-market (Scandinavia), they have even higher costs than Easyjet does. But D8/DY is not either a model of success.

In my opinion, at most of those markets you named, Easyjet entered in order to be a low-cost player with vocation to be relevant for some sort of corporate-casual pax. They are touristy places, but not like BCN or LIS, where the growth of the airline (although far from FR's figures) has been more stable. MAD/FCO or HAM were bases where they aimed to fly some more year-round-less-seasonal corridors. When the legacy carriers transformed, lowing fares down, or even with their own low-cost versions (Eurowings, Ib Express) + the Ryanair effect, there was little again to justify paying the extra 20€ Easyjet was probably compared to Ryanair. Which color matched better your expectations? Yellow was probably less appealing for the majority of the pax, but when pocket was main decisor...

I still consider Easyjet a successful model in Europe. More stable maybe than Ryanair, which at some point needed to 100% transformed its business plan (now sort of becoming again less attractive with the new carry-on policies, etc.).

a350lover

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Regarding the shut down of the MAD base, they had big differences and labour conflicts with the unions there.

Figures pre/post basing planes there I'd say were pretty similar. Like others said, having a base in one place doesn't necessarily mean they are more/less successful in that place.

[email protected]

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Have a play around EZY's investor presentations: they are a wealth of information and knowledge across all aspects of its business. For example, it seeks to be the #1 or #2 airline at all the primary airports its serves as detailed on slides 22 and 23 here: http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Fi ... pdfaspects of its business.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

LTenEleven

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:38 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Have a play around EZY's investor presentations: they are a wealth of information and knowledge across all aspects of its business. For example, it seeks to be the #1 or #2 airline at all the primary airports its serves as detailed on slides 22 and 23 here: http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Fi ... pdfaspects of its business.

A wealth of information indeed, but far from unbiased.

[email protected]

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:41 pm

LTenEleven wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

A wealth of information indeed, but far from unbiased.

As opposed to the geekery on A.net? :D
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Galwayman

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:59 pm

The 156 seats on the A319 requiring a 4 th flight attendant suggests Easy’s Grasp of how economies of scale work is pretty poor ... an aircraft really needs to hold closer to 200 if there are going to be 4 crew onboard . A simple mistake that Wizz and FR would never have made

eurowings

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Galwayman wrote:
They’ve failed everywhere FR and Wizz have succeeded because they’ve failed to keep their costs low enough

Some places....I mean W6 has "failed" in Prague for instance if you consider a base closure and downsizing to be failing but EZY and FR are steady/expanding.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

PatrickZ80

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Indeed it's the Ryanair invasion. Only on bases where they don't face much competition from Ryanair, like Amsterdam, they still got a strong foot. Once Ryanair moves in they got no choice but to move out. Out of those two LCCs, Ryanair always has the lower fares by a significant margin and to low-cost passengers that's the only thing that counts. EasyJet can't afford to be as cheap as Ryanair because of their higher cost base.

In the example of Amsterdam, this airport is very slot restricted and therefor it's difficult for Ryanair to get in. They only got two destinations from there, but on most destinations EasyJet is the number one LCC. They can maintain that number one position because Ryanair can't get more slots at Amsterdam. Should Ryanair be able to invade Amsterdam as well, EasyJet would have no choice to pull out. The slot shortage is protecting EasyJet against that.

Blerg

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:32 pm

I wonder if easyJet will attack Wizz Air in Basel. So far they compete on just two routes: Belgrade and Warsaw. I wonder if more are to come, launching Budapest, Bucharest and Sofia would make sense.

TWA902fly

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:30 pm

They also pulled their Moscow flights (reason given was downturn of the Russian economy). They flew LGW-DME as well as MAN-DME. However you'd think such a busy route had room for a low cost airline. BA is 4x daily, and SU is also 4x daily, and at times they have both used widebodies. BA even had the 744 going to DME. Wizzair seems to be doing okay on their VKO flights, however they only fly to BUD and DEB, completely different markets. I wonder if Wizz would try LTN-VKO or Pobeda STN-VKO. Pobeda is of course owned by SU, and seems like they stay out of each other's ways for the most part.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

marcogr12
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm

a350lover wrote:
Being a low cost carrier, they have never been different enough to justify higher fares in most of those markets you named. Costs are way lower in Ryanair, Wizzair, even in Vueling or Volotea. Although Norwegian followed an interesting strategy outsourcing a lot of the production out of its expensive-home-market (Scandinavia), they have even higher costs than Easyjet does. But D8/DY is not either a model of success.

In my opinion, at most of those markets you named, Easyjet entered in order to be a low-cost player with vocation to be relevant for some sort of corporate-casual pax. They are touristy places, but not like BCN or LIS, where the growth of the airline (although far from FR's figures) has been more stable. MAD/FCO or HAM were bases where they aimed to fly some more year-round-less-seasonal corridors. When the legacy carriers transformed, lowing fares down, or even with their own low-cost versions (Eurowings, Ib Express) + the Ryanair effect, there was little again to justify paying the extra 20€ Easyjet was probably compared to Ryanair. Which color matched better your expectations? Yellow was probably less appealing for the majority of the pax, but when pocket was main decisor...

I still consider Easyjet a successful model in Europe. More stable maybe than Ryanair, which at some point needed to 100% transformed its business plan (now sort of becoming again less attractive with the new carry-on policies, etc.).

I beg to differ where FCO is concerned..it is extremely touristy comparable to BCN ,throughout the year i d say..And DY has launched year-round longhaul along with Level ..And all LCCs aim for a good portion of biz pax...so i dont see how U2 would differ much from the others..FR entered these markets after U2 pulled out except for HAM.....And now with its worldwide scheme connecting with big players should-could it reclaim its stake at the big aforementioned airports?

TheDBCooper

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 pm

I don't really consider easyJet a true LCC, like Ryanair, Norwegian, Wizz Air, etc. I consider them more a hybrid between the traditional legacy and full low-cost. They seemed to be an early adopter in targeting business travelers and operating to primary airports. Ryanair has only relatively recently moved in a similar direction. The big risk for easyJet is keeping costs low so that they remain competitive. Ridding themselves of the A319 will surely help.

Armodeen

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 pm

LuxuryTravelled wrote:
And now they are becoming No2 at their home airport - surely they can’t be happy about that...

Easy didn’t expand quick enough with the original airbus order, it should have been much bigger. Which in turn meant they lost out when Ryanair made the switch to concentrating more on primary airports. Easy just did have the capacity to fight everywhere.

Surely you would consider Gatters their 'home' airport these days. I mean what does it matter where the HQ is? BACF's HQ is in Manchester for instance.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:02 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Indeed it's the Ryanair invasion. Only on bases where they don't face much competition from Ryanair, like Amsterdam, they still got a strong foot. Once Ryanair moves in they got no choice but to move out. Out of those two LCCs, Ryanair always has the lower fares by a significant margin and to low-cost passengers that's the only thing that counts. EasyJet can't afford to be as cheap as Ryanair because of their higher cost base.

In the example of Amsterdam, this airport is very slot restricted and therefor it's difficult for Ryanair to get in. They only got two destinations from there, but on most destinations EasyJet is the number one LCC. They can maintain that number one position because Ryanair can't get more slots at Amsterdam. Should Ryanair be able to invade Amsterdam as well, EasyJet would have no choice to pull out. The slot shortage is protecting EasyJet against that.

Patrick while it s true about AMS, U2 hasnt pulled out of LIS,BOD,MXP,MRS,SXF,TXL, where FR entered,despite its higher cost-base.. And i think FR entered FCO,MAD after Easy closed its bases there...I dont know if the UK bases of U2 where FR is fiercely competitive is another story compared to the rest of Europe,meaning there is room for both of them if we take into account bases outside of London,like EDI,BRS,BFS,MAN,LPL,NCL...

eurowings

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Patrick while it s true about AMS, U2 hasnt pulled out of LIS,BOD,MXP,MRS,SXF,TXL, where FR entered,despite its higher cost-base.. And i think FR entered FCO,MAD after Easy closed its bases there...I dont know if the UK bases of U2 where FR is fiercely competitive is another story compared to the rest of Europe,meaning there is room for both of them if we take into account bases outside of London,like EDI,BRS,BFS,MAN,LPL,NCL...

Indeed, EZY have expanded just as fast as FR at MAN for instance, I think they are still 3, 4 or 5 based aircraft ahead of FR. As long as the market is there, they can co-exist.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

Eirules

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:56 am

Surely we can say they’ve failed at DUB-LON. Considering the number of flights, airlines and airports on these city pairs, for EZ not to have established themselves is in my opinion a failure
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

LuxuryTravelled

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 am

Its very true that easyJet hasn’t really kept costs low, probably due to the fact that they committed to primary airports early - and the additional costs attributed to that. They also havent had enough aircraft and aircraft of the right size - If they had 50 or 60 more, they could have developed those markets it left into number 1 or 2 positions. (Hamburg, Madrid, Rome).
Luton is its spiritual home, despite Gatwick really being the main base now - never the less symbolic they are to be overtaken by Wizz.

TOGA10

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 am

Galwayman wrote:
The 156 seats on the A319 requiring a 4 th flight attendant suggests Easy’s Grasp of how economies of scale work is pretty poor ... an aircraft really needs to hold closer to 200 if there are going to be 4 crew onboard . A simple mistake that Wizz and FR would never have made

Well, they ordered a whole lot of 320 (mix of CEO and NEO) and 321NEO, so it seems they did get a grip on it eventually. Also, regarding the post about AMS, I think FR has lost a lot of loyalty and trust in the Netherlands after the ridiculous way they closed the EIN base. I wouldn't dare to say U2 would walk away if FR would start flying from AMS more. Evidence: FR flies to AGP from AMS, so does U2. Why would U2 not change it to another destination if it doesn't make money? Slots are in short supply, so plenty of other place to choose from if AGP wasn't making money.
I wanna go back upstairs!

smbukas

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 am

One of the markets I see where easyJet left the market is Baltics. They were first to start with flights from London and Berlin to Riga and Tallinn. That was back in 2004-2005. Ryanair made start at a similar time, but they had small operations, not larger than easyJet so I say very similar start positions. Wizz Air was not even there (they tried one crazy route from Kaunas with a stop in Warsaw to London and pulled out).

easyJet pulled out from Riga very fast, they tried few routes to Tallinn, but today they only have very small operation from Tallinn and nothing from Latvia or Lithuania. But look where Wizz Air and Ryanair is today: Wizz Air 4 aircraft based in VNO, 2 aircraft based in RIX, operations to KUN, PLQ and TLL. Ryanair two bases in KUN and VNO, significant operation in RIX and even in TLL they are larger than easyJet today.

Noshow

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:48 am

I think they try to avoid dogfights with competitors. They stay away if the other guys start pricing wars or too big competitors move in.
Their big plus is the more "normal" image compared to FR. So the average business traveller will fly easyJet without concern. While Ryanair is cheaper all those strict and sometime changing rules seem to scare away some people from booking there.

konkret

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:21 am

TWA902fly wrote:
I wonder if Wizz would try LTN-VKO

Wizzair is a Hungarian carrier and has no rights to fly UK-Russia.

skipness1E

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:52 am

Ryanair is an ULCC. easyJet is not.
Market positioning and operating models are actually quite different.

As I understand, EZY culls the bottom x% of proffitable routes each year to redeploy capacity, unprofitable routes are axed faster.

I love the idea that some of the daftys on here are wittering on about easyJet being a failure, as if we we couldn’t move for being knee deep in our MBAs....

Being in DUB for the sake of it against a Ryanair who took a strategic decision to force them out of Ireland at all costs is not a failure. It’s making sure you don’t build market share for vanity. As for being #2 at Luton, who cares? Their main base is and has been LGW for years.

[email protected]

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:55 am

konkret wrote:
TWA902fly wrote:

Wizz also has a UK AOC now: Wizz Air UK. Therefore, they could.

steman

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm

U2 went from zero to being Berlin-Tegel TXL biggest carrier in few months, taking advantage of the collapse of Air Berlin. And they kept a relevant presence in SXF too, making them by far the largest airline in Berlin. With few oddities, like the CPH flights that leave 20 minutes apart, one to TXL and one to SXF.
FR is not exactly performing much in TXL, mostly operating for Laudamotion (i believe the have only 4 planes based in TXL), whereas at SXF their presence is much bigger, but still they haven´t pushed U2 away.

Boeing74741R

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Galwayman wrote:

Really? Do you have any evidence to suggest that's always the case?

LPL was easyJet's second ever base. Despite Ryanair and Wizz expanding there over the last 15 years, easyJet are still there and have continued to add routes despite also moving into MAN 30 miles down the road and greatly building on the routes inherited from GB Airways and despite Ryanair competing with easyJet on a few of the Spanish and Portuguese routes at both airports. I've flown easyJet a number of times in/out of LPL in recent years and loadings have been healthy.

Noshow wrote:
I think they try to avoid dogfights with competitors. They stay away if the other guys start pricing wars or too big competitors move in.
Their big plus is the more "normal" image compared to FR. So the average business traveller will fly easyJet without concern. While Ryanair is cheaper all those strict and sometime changing rules seem to scare away some people from booking there.

It's a sensible strategy in the grand scheme of things. Better off focusing on routes where money can be made or they have the market to themselves rather than lose money hand-over-fist in competition with others. There are routes where both easyJet and Ryanair compete on, but it's normally the kind of markets that are big enough for more than one airline and hence don't "loss lead" or end up losing money on seats.

I know some people like to cite their retreat from Ireland as an example of easyJet failing, but with the greatest of respect to the Irish they seem to be doing just fine serving other countries. Frankly I'd be more worried by Ryanair's statement back in the summer announcing cuts to DUB, because it goes to show that airlines are businesses and will allocate resources to where they can make (more) money.

TheDBCooper wrote:
I don't really consider easyJet a true LCC, like Ryanair, Norwegian, Wizz Air, etc. I consider them more a hybrid between the traditional legacy and full low-cost. They seemed to be an early adopter in targeting business travelers and operating to primary airports. Ryanair has only relatively recently moved in a similar direction. The big risk for easyJet is keeping costs low so that they remain competitive. Ridding themselves of the A319 will surely help.

It could be argued that Ryanair had to move in the direction they did 5 years ago in order to keep on growing. Their previous cavalier attitude and concentrating growth at secondary airports was only ever going to get them so far and it's clear changing tack hasn't harmed them.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Indeed Boeing 74741R..But not only FR, virtually all LCCs are moving towards this direction..VY,DY,V7...they're not gonna survive otherwise...

What surprised me the most about Easy was that after they closed MAD,FCO,HAM they opened up a base in BCN a place already flooded with low-cost flights..They do have a strong presence,not as big as Vueling of course, but big enough..But they have not expanded significantly there other than reinforcing flights to other bases..Of course DY and FR followed suit and now it's a battlefield..I wonder how they are really doing there..I am also wondering if they re getting healthier loads and yields from smaller bases like LYS,NAP,BOD..Recently they announced expansion from NTE where also Volotea and Transavia expanded..But they dont seem worried about them..only where FR invades..Lately,they have been going after regional airports with 2-3 a/c bases but they missed an opportunity to do so in BLQ and PRG before FR swooped in..

konkret

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:41 pm

[email protected] wrote:
konkret wrote:
TWA902fly wrote:

Wizz also has a UK AOC now: Wizz Air UK. Therefore, they could.

Good point.

SCQ83

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
Indeed Boeing 74741R..But not only FR, virtually all LCCs are moving towards this direction..VY,DY,V7...they're not gonna survive otherwise...

What surprised me the most about Easy was that after they closed MAD,FCO,HAM they opened up a base in BCN a place already flooded with low-cost flights..They do have a strong presence,not as big as Vueling of course, but big enough..But they have not expanded significantly there other than reinforcing flights to other bases..Of course DY and FR followed suit and now it's a battlefield..I wonder how they are really doing there..I am also wondering if they re getting healthier loads and yields from smaller bases like LYS,NAP,BOD..Recently they announced expansion from NTE where also Volotea and Transavia expanded..But they dont seem worried about them..only where FR invades..Lately,they have been going after regional airports with 2-3 a/c bases but they missed an opportunity to do so in BLQ and PRG before FR swooped in..

MAD is a really crazy case because they haven't opened a new route probably in 10 years.

In any case for easyJet, Spain is seen completely as a destination market. They only launch flights that work with foreign demand. That is why MAD is kept to a minimum and they don't fly domestic anymore.

For instance, even in a non-beach airport like SCQ they serve BSL and GVA (Large Galician VFR living in Switzerland), MXP (Italian pilgrims/tourists) and LGW (well London is a bit of everything like anywhere else). So they really don't count on local demand but on demand from the Swiss/Italian/British side.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos