VSMUT

Re: "Christian" Airline Receives OK To Start-Up

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 am

MD80Ttail wrote:
Many of the comments here are not about aviation but an attack on Christianity. The same fervor isn’t used regarding Muslim airlines and Haaj flights. I haven’t seen jokes cracked about maryter pilots. There is a distinct double standard.

Oh please :roll: Go back and read the thread about the Bangladeshi toilet-cleaner who leased a brand-new ATR 72 with the intention of starting a Sharia-compliant airline flying domestic UK routes. He eventually received a Jetstream, but I don't think it ever got off the ground.

Rayani Air was equally mocked.

viewtopic.php?t=1396421

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEm2li0ADsc

MD80Ttail wrote:
Basic business 101. With the number of Christians world-wide and specifically in North, Central and South America there certainly is a valid niche for this service.

As was the case with the two above mentioned religious mis-adventures, the amount of Christians is irrelevant. Christians don't go out of the way to buy Christian cars, houses, train tickets and clothes, or even plane tickets. The only people pious enough to take such a decision, in any of the religions, tend to be so poor that they can't afford plane tickets to start with.
There is nothing in christianity that prevents adherents from flying United or Delta, or chartering a 737 from Swift Air or Miami Air. No US airline is anti-christian. When the pope comes to visit, the US3 have no problems mustering entire crews of christian believers.

FSDan

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:36 pm

I hope they plan on operating as a charter airline rather than offering scheduled service... Scheduled service just doesn't make sense if your target customer base is missionaries. People on long term missions go live in a community for years, traveling home maybe once or twice a year? And since the goal of missionaries is to reach as many people as possible throughout the world, I'd think the concentration of missionaries near any one airport would be pretty low. Not likely to support any kind of scheduled service (certainly not on an MD-80).

If the business plan is focused on short term missions (e.g. church groups traveling from major metro areas to Houston to help with post-hurricane cleanup/rebuilding) on a charter basis, then I think there's a chance an airline like this could succeed.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

smithbs

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:39 pm

I agree - this seems like a charter concept, which is all well and good, but I'm not sure if the business case is set up right. Most missionaries I know travel commercial to the general area and then if they continue into "the deep" by air, it's usually by a small charter (think Cessna Caravan, Kodiak, etc). But to fly a MD-80 out of the states for that? Delta could get you there more reliably, and probably cheaper too.

Also, check out the Quest Kodiak. It has a special relationship with the missionary community, and in my mind a more fruitful one than a MD-80.

Cush

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:20 pm

I agree that I don't see the "humor" or "insanity" of this startup airline? Each airline has a niche (budget traveler, business traveler, ultra wealthy, etc). This airline niche is Christian Missionaries.

There have been many attempts at setting up "Sharia Compliant" airlines for Muslims, yet no one insults them the way you do a Christian airline.

No, the safety videos wont feature jesus, or other "ridiculous" airlines as some of you have mentioned. This concept is unique, the same way FedEx was for Fred Smith when he flew a converted private jet and created the overnight delivery business model.

Will this airline become a raging success like Spirit or Allegiant? No. The market is just way too small. But, can they become a success with a few possible planes and a booked schedule of charter flights? Yes.

Stop the religious bashing and jokes and think outside the box.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

marcory

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:25 pm

The target market for this airline probably isn't the stereotypical missionary family that, say, spends 20 years starting churches in the jungle somewhere.

Rather, it is more likely to be used by large short-term teams who have a project that requires a lot of cargo For example, think of a team of 40 doctors, nurses, and medical technicians taking some MRI and Xray scanners (along with a generator) to a remote hospital where they will train the locals on how to use, maintain, and repair the machines.

Alternatively, a megachurch might want to send 100 teenagers somewhere for 3 weeks in the summer

I'm not sure how large the market for such ventures is, but that's probably whom Judah 1 is targeting.

peterinlisbon

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:29 pm

If they call it Mary, perhaps they could be part of the Virgin group.

Aviates1900

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:31 pm

This startup has been floating around the industry for quite some time. Judah 1 has a reputation in the aviation industry for stiffing finance and insurance companies for years. In fact, they are blacklisted from all major insurance carriers around the world....so good luck to them. They owe a good deal of money to a lot of large companies.

bennett123

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:03 pm

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... m=linkedin

Behind a pay wall, but it does confirm the type, (any ideas on sources) and a possible name.

ltbewr

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Is God or Jesus going to be the co-pilot ?
As others have suggested this might be at best a charter operation. I bet they will be as cutthorat as any other LCC with huge fees for checked baggage, etc.

atcsundevil

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:08 pm

This thread has clearly run its course, so it will be locked. We don't generally have a problem with silly comments — we do, in fact, have the ability to appreciate humor, provided it's in good taste — but some of the comments here have gone a little too far. Let's not forget that we're here to talk about airplanes, not religion.

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos