PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:27 pm

SANFan wrote:
The SAN year-end passenger totals came out today and it was a great year! Here's the link to the December Air Traffic Report at SAN.org:
https://www.san.org/DesktopModules/Brin ... &TabId=403

Total pax using SAN in 2018: 24,238,300 - needless to say, the highest annual total ever at SDIA!
Total pax increase over 2017: 9.3%, also, I believe, the largest annual % increase y-o-y ever at SDIA!
Total International pax in 2018: 1,042,686, highest number ever!
Total international pax increase over 2017: 19.3%! Pax using Int'l FIS facilities at SAN made up 1.5% of all pax at SDIA in 2018; 1.4% in 2017.
Total operations at SAN in 2018: 199,183, an 8.7% increase over 2017!
International carrier growth in December 2017 alone saw: WS - +33%, AC - up 23% on 19% increase in seats, JL - +20% on 10% increase in seats, and
BA saw a 10% in pax on an 8% increase in seats offered!
Even international cargo tonnage for 2018 was up 30%
Finally, the month of February 2019 is expected to see a 7.8% increase in seat capacity offered; March will see a 6.2% increase!

Very impressive numbers last year folks. There was really nothing negative reported except perhaps a 1.5% drop in all cargo. Quite an amazing year for 663 acres of former mudflats along the coastline, 2 miles from the center of downtown San Diego!

bb

Utterly amazing!

From the stats I could find:

Total Passengers:
2017: 22,525,801
2018: 24,248,300
+1,722,500 (rounded off) = 143,541 per month = 4,719 per day, and divided by 18 (roughly the number of hours of operations) equals 262 per hour. My one and only trip through SAN last year really did feel more crowded! And the numbers confirm that.

The international numbers bewilder me. A decade ago it was on-again, off-again Mexican resort flights and AC to YYZ. Now a brand-new international wing greets passengers from multiple foreign locations. And, as always, keeping my fingers crossed for more. I'm hoping LH becomes daily, and x5 to FRA via the A340-300 or -600, should they decide to follow through, and an A350 to MUC x2. To be followed, of course, by a similar arrangement with SkyTeam to do a mix of CDG and AMS on AF and KL. I'm also hoping Copa can get their FIS times to start PTY, and then perhaps KE to ICN.

The 30% increase in international cargo capacity, that would be accounted for with LH, agreed? I theorize that the discussion about SAN getting the -600 several days a week was related to forecasts of both premium demand (necessitating the true F-class) and cargo demands that might not have seen the results needed to trigger the upgauge.

I am so lucky to live in San Diego, but I am further blessed that I teach at a school in National City that has a spectacular view of the approach, seen from the south (port side of the aircraft), while living in North Park, with a similar view of the approach on the starboard side. The roar of reverse thrust is music to my ears.

Retirement may be a decade away for me; however, I can SO see myself becoming a volunteer at the airport, hopefully becoming one of the tour guides who gets to tell people I was the last passenger to fly out of the Commuter Terminal in 2015. Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings!

757SanCam

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Great news on increased usage. This morning's UT has not so great news on the delay of a new terminal 1. Looks like further delays on construction start with EIR delays related to whatever transportation plan is approved. http://enewspaper.sandiegouniontribune. ... 248ba42cb7

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:21 pm

757SanCam wrote:
Great news on increased usage. This morning's UT has not so great news on the delay of a new terminal 1. Looks like further delays on construction start with EIR delays related to whatever transportation plan is approved. http://enewspaper.sandiegouniontribune. ... 248ba42cb7

Thank you for the link! While I am with the majority that "the sooner the better" is always a great target date, I am with the side that says, "let's get the ground transportation figured out first!". The fact that solutions, while not "simple" by any means, would require a much smaller footprint of disruption to create something world class. This needs to be done right, and it needs to included in the plans before the first shovel of dirt is turned.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Okay, now that our latest round of "Musical Chairs" is over, the lack of reports of issues seems to indicate all is well. Any first-hand reports on the big switch-up?

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Okay, now that our latest round of "Musical Chairs" is over, the lack of reports of issues seems to indicate all is well. Any first-hand reports on the big switch-up?

phxa340

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Flew in this Monday on AS from SLC. Landed at gate 28B (I think) and T2 was a disaster from an AS perspective. We had to hold for about 10-15 minutes because passengers were crossing the gate area from 28A into the jetway. Seems like a lack of planning? Our bags took 50 minutes to get to carrousel. Lots of upset people at AS. Not sure this has anything to do with the move but it was definitely a mess (might have been due to weather in SEA?). But ... as always the AS staff were awesome, but definitely looked exhausted and overwhelmed.

williaminsd

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Took AS #3417 to SJC on 1.29, the first operational day of switch. Took some pics, but still can't figure out how to attach. Drop-off out front far less chaotic, especially as Alaska is the first stop at the curb.

Far more cueing space at the counter, which is a huge upgrade. Still seems kinda wedged-in on the far right side though, but only real issue at counter was that the new luggage belt couldn't accomodate golf clubs and there were several stacked-up behind the counter as they waited for a sky-cap to come out from the front to take them to the outside belt.

While T2E is for the most part as dreary as ever, TSA in the mid-afternoon was a breeze and the holding area at Gate 28 was light and spacious, a clear "departure" from the old banjo gates in T1. Gate agent still getting used to equipment as I saw her struggle a bit accommodating a pax who needed to make a change (I think anyway, couldn't hear all of the conversation). That will easily come with time of course.

Even at what would typically be considered an off-peak time, the entire east side of the pier (even numbered gates) was full of Alaska jets.

Returned the next day and luggage took a little longer than usual, but that was the only thing that gave me pause and is nothing that, at first glance, seems systemic and not just growing pains.

Next Alaska flight is to SMF this Tuesday. It's in the morning so we'll see how the new digs are working during a busy bank. So far, so good and as much as I loathe T2E, everything seems better for Alaska over there.

LindyFlight

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:04 am

Speaking of Alaska...

Alaska Airlines in the last few days opened reservation for its planned Boeing 737 MAX 9 aircraft, with the configuration of F12Y162. The 737 MAX 9 is scheduled to enter service from July 2019, although this date remains likely to change.

Seattle – Los Angeles eff 15JUL19 1 daily AS310/465 (2nd daily AS400/351 from 15AUG19)
Seattle – San Diego eff 15AUG19 1 daily AS482/539
Seattle – San Jose CA eff 15JUL19 1 daily AS344/319

Current 737 MAX 9 schedule is listed until 26AUG19 inclusive.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2019/

SANFan

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 am

Thanx to phx' and William' for the reports on AS's new digs.

I'm still confused about the situation at gate 28; there appear to be 2 separate gates, A and B. Can someone clarify if both 28A and B have jetways or is there only one? (When there was only one gate 28, it had a jetway but now I assume one of the 28s has the jetway and the other is boarded at ground level via stairs?)

bb

phxa340

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
SANFan wrote:
Thanx to phx' and William' for the reports on AS's new digs.

I'm still confused about the situation at gate 28; there appear to be 2 separate gates, A and B. Can someone clarify if both 28A and B have jetways or is there only one? (When there was only one gate 28, it had a jetway but now I assume one of the 28s has the jetway and the other is boarded at ground level via stairs?)

bb

Howdy - your assumptions are correct based on my experience! We arrived at 28A which is at the actual jetway, however u still use stairs. 28B doesn’t have a jetway and planes park a good 25 feet back from the terminal and and passengers must walk in front of 28A space/plane to get to the actual gate 28 jetway. Both are boarded and deplaned from stairs. Unless there is slack in the schedule I am assuming this will be the setup moving forward?

SANFan

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 am

phxa340 wrote:
Howdy - your assumptions are correct based on my experience! We arrived at 28A which is at the actual jetway, however u still use stairs. 28B doesn’t have a jetway and planes park a good 25 feet back from the terminal and and passengers must walk in front of 28A space/plane to get to the actual gate 28 jetway. Both are boarded and deplaned from stairs. Unless there is slack in the schedule I am assuming this will be the setup moving forward?

Thank you very much phx'! You've seemed to confirm that AAG does have 8 or 9 gates (depending on whether gate 32 is included or not) which is actually an increase over what they had in T1W. That number gives them room for growth and that's fantastic.

When I first heard that AAG was moving to T2E, I had visions of the carrier creating a tarmac-level ground concourse that would enable them to increase the number of gates for their smaller aircraft -- similar to what they have at both SEA and PDX. Although they haven't done it to the degree I had hoped for, gate 28 is essentially a very tiny version of a ground-boarding concourse. Essentially turning one gate into two!

(It looks like maybe you tried to load a picture? Too bad it didn't work but please keep trying!)

bb

williaminsd

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 am

Well... my second flight out of the new Alaska space in T2E this morning was much like the first... pretty easy. More crowded given the earlier departure time, but TSA had four lanes open and it went smoothly and efficiently.

To answer you question BB, Gate 28 (which we departed through on Alaska 3340), indeed has two hardstands, each of which was being used this morning with the other being a flight to Monterey, both of these on E175s.

Once again, I can't get the pics to attach, but all gates were full.

Of note was an Alaska mainline at Gate 17, in the old T1W pier. I noticed another Alaska jet at T1W as well, but when I got through security, it had departed and I couldn't tell which gate.

It's quite the Alaska/AA festival in T2E these days!

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 am

williaminsd wrote:
Well... my second flight out of the new Alaska space in T2E this morning was much like the first... pretty easy. More crowded given the earlier departure time, but TSA had four lanes open and it went smoothly and efficiently.

Always good to hear continued stories of efficiency at SAN - I've always gotten through efficiently, and I hope that continues.

To answer you question BB, Gate 28 (which we departed through on Alaska 3340), indeed has two hardstands, each of which was being used this morning with the other being a flight to Monterey, both of these on E175s.

Once again, I can't get the pics to attach, but all gates were full.

Are there any special requirements needed for going back and forth between mainline and commuter planes at SAN's gates? I mean other than moving the jetway into the proper position? And are the Gate 28 twins the only gates that could "split" under the right circumstances?

Of note was an Alaska mainline at Gate 17, in the old T1W pier. I noticed another Alaska jet at T1W as well, but when I got through security, it had departed and I couldn't tell which gate.

Possibly Hawai'i? I know the Hawai'i flights on WN are supposed to be in T1W for ETOPS, so might this be the same for AS?

It's quite the Alaska/AA festival in T2E these days!

If only someone would take out the vast areas of concrete and replace them with windows!

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:07 am

bb, FWIW the lounge you are hoping for is now called Alaska Lounge

SANFan

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks all for the updates.

William', I'd bet you a buck that those AS jets over at T1W were just RONs that were towed over to T2E gates once their RONs departed in the morning; AAG has no departures from T1 any more. (And there are lots of AS planes that spend the night in SAN -- 13-14 on the current schedule!) At least for now, there is pretty light usage at T1W by the new tenants there so I'm sure AS is happy to park as many of their a/c there overnight as possible.

And AAtake', thank you. I'll hope for an Alaska Lounge at SAN from now on!

I assume there has to be an elevator or escalator or something to get handicapped pax from the gate 28 lounge down to ground level for boarding their EMJ flights. I wonder where that is?

bb

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:40 pm

SANFan wrote:

bb

:-)

I wonder if they'll instead contract with Airspace like AA does. Their operation certainly warrants some type of lounge for their passengers at SAN.

wnflyguy

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm

TW1 planned spring gate shuffle.
WN gates 11/12 and partially using 18
F9 gates 13/14
Spirit gates 15/16 partially using gate 17
Allegiant 17
Sun Country 18
Sun Country isn't scheduled to RON any aircraft at SAN so AS will be bring RON dump and tow aircraft to TW1. WN will use 18 between 10am-6pm

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm

SANFan wrote:
Thanks all for the updates.

William', I'd bet you a buck that those AS jets over at T1W were just RONs that were towed over to T2E gates once their RONs departed in the morning; AAG has no departures from T1 any more. (And there are lots of AS planes that spend the night in SAN -- 13-14 on the current schedule!) At least for now, there is pretty light usage at T1W by the new tenants there so I'm sure AS is happy to park as many of their a/c there overnight as possible.

Definitely the most logical answer. Given that the carriers now in T1W are carriers with limited flights - and probably even less connecting pax - it would make sense that the RON's at T1W would be limited, allowing other planes to utilize gates for parking.

And AAtake', thank you. I'll hope for an Alaska Lounge at SAN from now on!]

I wonder if T2E is part of the long-term plan for SAN, or if it will follow both T1 banjos and eventually be taken out for a larger and more efficient new terminal. Either way, it won't be for years, so a lounge might be possible - but is there room?

I assume there has to be an elevator or escalator or something to get handicapped pax from the gate 28 lounge down to ground level for boarding their EMJ flights. I wonder where that is?

I wonder if they just move an outside lifting machine into place when that is necessary...

SANFan

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 am

wnflyguy wrote:
F9 gates 13/14
Allegiant 17
Sun Country 18
Sun Country isn't scheduled to RON any aircraft at SAN so AS will be bring RON dump and tow aircraft to TW1. WN will use 18 between 10am-6pm

Flyguy

As usual, I'm talking this info with a grain of salt; F9 nor NK need anywhere near 2 full time gates -- let alone a third one for Spirit?! -- and there's no mention of JetBlue which will relocating to T1 in March...

WN should have plenty of use at gate 18 since SY has one flight that is less than daily at SAN most of the year -- the single turn is about :45 on a limited number of days for about 9-10 months of the year.

bb

wnflyguy

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:46 am

SANFan wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
F9 gates 13/14
Allegiant 17
Sun Country 18

Flyguy

As usual, I'm talking this info with a grain of salt; F9 nor NK need anywhere near 2 full time gates -- let alone a third one for Spirit?! -- and there's no mention of JetBlue which will relocating to T1 in March...

WN should have plenty of use at gate 18 since SY has one flight that is less than daily at SAN most of the year -- the single turn is about :45 on a limited number of days for about 9-10 months of the year.

bb

JetBlue is not onboard with SAN about relocating to T1W. It's not willing to pay for anything to be moved claiming it's a down grade in facilities for it's passengers.
I don't see JetBlue moving.
Eat some pretzels with that salt.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

AAtakeMeAway

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Sitting in the Airspace lounge... gates 33 and 34 are closed with the jetways removed and laying in the ground. What’s in the works here?

SANFan

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:52 pm

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
Sitting in the Airspace lounge... gates 33 and 34 are closed with the jetways removed and laying in the ground. What’s in the works here?

The airport is replacing all the old jetways. Apparently the project is still underway.

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:39 pm

SANFan wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:

The airport is replacing all the old jetways. Apparently the project is still underway.

bb

Two at a time? How long does it take to replace a gate? I guess there must be enough slack in the schedule, but which gates are next? I can't imagine anything the T2West needs to go, but what about T2 East and Terminal 1?

SANFan

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:49 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
SANFan wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:

bb

Two at a time? How long does it take to replace a gate? I guess there must be enough slack in the schedule, but which gates are next? I can't imagine anything the T2West needs to go, but what about T2 East and Terminal 1?

I don't have the time to find the details (on SAN.org) but the project was in a budget summary sometime a year or 2 ago. It seems to me they have been doing the jetway work for at least a year and I'm thinking at least T1 has already been done. (Like many airport projects, the work is probably done in phases.)

During the slow time of the year (now) I wouldn't be surprised that they might do the work 2 gates at a time.

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:03 pm

That's impressive if you stop to think about it: it was done, apparently, SO smoothly that no one seems to have noticed or mentioned! And I mean that as the highest of compliments, too - if you can get your infrastructure replaced without anyone noticing, you've done it right.

If they are on the gates between the two piers of Terminal 2, it stands to reason that all lower numbered gates have been replaced already. Knowing that the newer gates in Terminal 2 west, where the next phase of jetway replacements is heading, date from 2013, it is logical to conclude that all gates numbered 42 and higher will not need replacement at this time, that would leave only 35-41 in need, a mere seven more. All without any apparent disruptions at all.

I love this airport.

SANFan

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:00 pm

Even though we're not seeing huge things from AS (so far) in 2019 like we did in 2017 -- with 9 new routes! -- there are a couple of pluses for SAN.

In addition to the 4 mainline-upgrades already known & reported -- AUS, MSP, SMF and SJC -- and an additional frequency to SMF, we'll see an added frequency to DAL -- daily-double service! -- plus 2 more mainline upgrades, MCI and STL! (These show effective in late August and are not yet 100% certain to happen.)

I'm hoping that these additional upgrades to 737s will free up some EMJs which could stay in SAN and add frequencies to existing routes (such as STS) or even add some new routes (maybe OAK or SBA for example!)

I also hope AS will figure out how to make room in their morning schedule for their BWI nonstop which remains a red-eye for the foreseeable future.

I feel confident that the gate situation in T2E will allow room for AAG to continue to expand their ops here.

Finally, FYI, let me quote from the airport's end-of-the-year report from 2018:

Alaska Airlines became the 2nd busiest carrier at SAN. Adding Dallas and Spokane in addition to several frequency increases across its network from SAN, Alaska carried 16% more passengers in 2018 vs 2017.

(Link: https://www.san.org/DesktopModules/Brin ... &TabId=403 )

Keep 'em coming Alaska!

bb

Coronado990

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 pm

AS should strengthen their Southwestern US portfolio by adding PHX, TUS, SAT and OKC. On the west coast, SBP and RNO could be a couple of adds as well. The NK build up of flights between SAN-LAS will probably keep AS out of this market and I'm very surprised NK isn't in the SAN-OAK market which could be the reason AS is shying away from OAK.

Love this airport!
We're up.

ibthebigd

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:24 pm

I would love to see SAN-IND

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SANFan

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:17 am

Coronado990 wrote:
AS should strengthen their Southwestern US portfolio by adding PHX, TUS, SAT and OKC. On the west coast, SBP and RNO could be a couple of adds as well. The NK build up of flights between SAN-LAS will probably keep AS out of this market and I'm very surprised NK isn't in the SAN-OAK market which could be the reason AS is shying away from OAK.

Love this airport!

I think PHX, TUS, etc., will happen sooner or later D. Probably not in 2019 though. How do you rate the chances of SBA and SBP -- which would you get into first? I've mentioned both as likely but I don't know which one I'd start with. (You know, AS now has 2 ground-boarding gate -- 28A & 28B -- so I wonder if we could even see the return of the Qs to SAN? I'd be definitely in favor if it would help us get another 1 or 2 intra-state routes off the ground.

I thought DL would have helped keep AS out of the Vegas market (and even heard some suggest that WAS the reason DL started SAN-LAS) so now NK has 3-4 flights PLUS F9 is entering the market in couple of months also! We'll have to see if AAG jumps, regardless, when they're ready.

Finally, I completely agree with you D about OAK. I have no idea at all why Spirit hasn't started that route yet. They continue to put all their eggs in the LA basket and have really started to ignore opportunities here. (And IMO, regarding OAK, so has AS...)

I'm still waiting to see AS get SAN-JFK up and flying.... That remains at the top of my list.

ibthebigd wrote:
I would love to see SAN-IND.

You mean by AS? So would I. With, undoubtedly, a serious attempt at flying the route - daily and year round! Until the market reaches the top of their to-do list, we'll have to settle for seasonal service on F9 (sub-daily) and WN...

Something that just occurred to me is that AS, with 31 unique destinations and 50 daily departures from SAN, as well as officially now being the 2nd busiest airline at SDIA, has 1 -- that's ONE! -- seasonal flight! Just one, and that's a ski resort after all. All 30 other places they fly to are served year-round. I find that very impressive!

I continue to think AS was ready to jump into SAN-IND but WN beat them to it. (Same with TPA.) And perhaps ORF as well but we have to wait and see what happens there. I keep telling them, something about "...snooze ...lose" but they still just don't seem to listen to me! ;)

Love this airport!

bb

afszcz

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Today's BA flight might have the new retro livery. We're scheduled to get G-BNLY today. I'm not sure that it has been repainted, but it did spend the week of February 7-13 entirely on the ground, which strongly suggests that it was in the paint shop.

Sadly, my pesky job needs me to be in a specific place that is not near the airport until far too late today, so I will not be able to see it land.

Coronado990

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Does DL have enough gates to operate 50-55 flights a day? The reason I ask is that the A220 would seem like a good fit to operate a focus cityat SAN opening more non-stops to the east. They already carry more pax on the ORF-SAN route then any other carrier plus RDU is strong in the region. CVG and MEM could come back and then add IND, CMH, MSY and BNA to the mix and you'd have a pretty good sized operation. Their strength in BOS and a future AUS focus city could make those future possibilities as well. Maybe they can try MEX with the A220, then again, maybe not since it seems to be an unlucky route (I guess seeing a WA 720B on the route is too much to ask). But some day CUN should be served and maybe a DL A220 could do the trick. Anyway, hope to see their buddies KE, KL or AF in here soon.

Love this airport even more.
We're up.

hawaiian717

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:23 pm

afszcz wrote:
Today's BA flight might have the new retro livery. We're scheduled to get G-BNLY today. I'm not sure that it has been repainted, but it did spend the week of February 7-13 entirely on the ground, which strongly suggests that it was in the paint shop.

G-BYGC is the aircraft in BOAC retro livery.

gollumSD

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:06 am

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

:-)

I wonder if they'll instead contract with Airspace like AA does. Their operation certainly warrants some type of lounge for their passengers at SAN.

Alaska first class passengers currently have access to the Airspace lounge.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

cheapflier

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:13 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Lots of issues with Alaska and American baggage claim. Seems like a turf war over carousels 1 & 2 and some jealousy that AS got a new bag office. About a week in, Delta pushed a few of its flights over to #4 so #3 is open as a reliever when both AA and AS can't play nice, but when Hawaiian comes in late at night all bets are off.

SANFan

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Well, it looks like I can forget any hopes of AAG planning or working on a Alaska Lounge at T2E after looking at the PR this morning:

Link: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2019-02- ... ort-lounge

They obviously are happy to talk about new lounges being planned elsewhere, such as SFO, and upgrades to their other existing lounges. SAN apparently will not one of them any time soon. Oh well. I will not be bringing up that subject any more.

gollumSD wrote:

I thought any pax at SAN can make use of the Airspace lounge; whether it costs to enter or not might depend on class or airline being flown. Isn't that correct?

Coronado990 wrote:
Does DL have enough gates to operate 50-55 flights a day? The reason I ask is that the A220 would seem like a good fit to operate a focus city at SAN opening more non-stops to the east. They already carry more pax on the ORF-SAN route then any other carrier plus RDU is strong in the region. CVG and MEM could come back and then add IND, CMH, MSY and BNA to the mix and you'd have a pretty good sized operation. Their strength in BOS and a future AUS focus city could make those future possibilities as well. Maybe they can try MEX with the A220, then again, maybe not since it seems to be an unlucky route (I guess seeing a WA 720B on the route is too much to ask). But some day CUN should be served and maybe a DL A220 could do the trick. Anyway, hope to see their buddies KE, KL or AF in here soon.

Love this airport even more.

I've seen the prospects that the 220 brings to the table mentioned a few times on other threads. IF Delta should ever actually consider p-2-p travel from SAN (beyond LAS, which may or may not be considered such) then by all means, we could certainly see them get into some of those routes you mentioned -- all good ones. SAN is already a very good-sized outstation for the carrier and I imagine they would love the chance to stick it to AS if they could grab a couple of those routes as AS continues to snooze (and lose?) here. And point of fact, DL has a very nice lounge in SAN! ;)

I'm sure there would be room for DL to add 20-25 departures at SAN -- particularly if they schedule them at the non-peak early morning hours! There are really lots of gates available in general once you get past the 8am hour.

BTW, I too have wonderful memories of that beautiful red-and-white (and silver) 720B flying daily to MEX for years and years! It turns out those WERE the days!!!!

Love this airport!

bb

FA9295

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:09 pm

SANFan wrote:
Well, it looks like I can forget any hopes of AAG planning or working on a Alaska Lounge at T2E after looking at the PR this morning:

Link: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2019-02- ... ort-lounge

They obviously are happy to talk about new lounges being planned elsewhere, such as SFO, and upgrades to their other existing lounges. SAN apparently will not one of them any time soon. Oh well. I will not be bringing up that subject any more.

It's interesting that they want to build up places like SEA and SFO that already have lots of competition instead of places like PDX and SAN which have very little/limited competition. I guess they're wanting to try and steal over business clienteles from UA at SFO and DL at SEA. To be honest, I really don't fly Alaska all too often anymore, because I've been a Delta Medallion member for a long time now.

hawaiian717

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:19 pm

SANFan wrote:
gollumSD wrote:

I thought any pax at SAN can make use of the Airspace lounge; whether it costs to enter or not might depend on class or airline being flown. Isn't that correct?

Yes. Anyone can pay to use Airspace. It's also an AAdmirals Club, so anyone who has access to that can enter for free, including JL and BA biz/first class passengers. In addition, through Airspace's agreement, American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders can enter for free.

Airspace is listed as an Alaska partner lounge, so Alaska Lounge members get access with a same-day AS or AA ticket. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/airpo ... -and-hours

- David

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:38 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
gollumSD wrote:

Yes. Anyone can pay to use Airspace. It's also an AAdmirals Club, so anyone who has access to that can enter for free, including JL and BA biz/first class passengers. In addition, through Airspace's agreement, American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders can enter for free.

Airspace is listed as an Alaska partner lounge, so Alaska Lounge members get access with a same-day AS or AA ticket. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/airpo ... -and-hours

- David

Ah! Thank you; I didn't realize this. Well, that squashes any hopes of an Alaska Lounge then, I would think. In Alaska's eyes, they already have a lounge there.

SANFan

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:54 pm

It's been finalized that flights to and from Everett, WA (PAE) have been given the go-ahead. AS rolls out their first flight on March 4 (Mon) while their first r/t to SAN will be on Tuesday, March 5 and the 2nd flight starts on Wed., March 6. This EMJ will RON here and depart for the first time on Thursday morning, back up to Everett. (This newest RON at SDIA will take our total number of AS RONs here to right ~14!)

Both flights to SAN will be op'd with daily QX EMJs. The carrier will fly from SAN to 31 unique airports with 50 departures once PAE service begins!

All 18 flights on AAG will be operating by March 12. UA begins service to (only) SFO & DEN on March 31.

I assume these AS flights will do well from here, as well as the 7 other cities receiving new nonstop service. I also bet that 737s will eventually start flying some of the routes, perhaps including SAN?

bb

SANFan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Forgive me for my enjoyment of this post from RoutesOnline (here's the link: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-17feb19/ ) outlining AS aircraft upgrades for this summer. Even though most of these have all been posted already on our thread, I thought it kind of neat to see what city seems to the primary recipient of mainline upgrades so far this year for the carrier!

Alaska Airlines in recent weeks filed aircraft changes for summer 2019 season, which sees selected routes operated by Skywest Embraer E175 moves to Mainline Boeing 737 and/or A320 aircraft.

Portland OR – Albuquerque eff 27AUG19 737-900 replaces Embraer E175
Portland OR – Burbank eff 06JUN19 Selected Embraer E175 service replaced by 737-800/-900
San Diego – Austin eff 01APR19 737-800 replaces Embraer E175, switching to -900 from 27AUG19
San Diego – Kansas City eff 27AUG19 737-900 replaces Embraer E175
San Diego – Sacramento eff 01APR19 Selected Embraer E175 service replaced by 737-800, switching to -900 from 27AUG19
San Diego – San Jose CA eff 21MAR19 Selected Embraer E175 service replaced by A320, as well as 737-800/-900 from 09APR19
San Diego – St. Louis eff 27AUG19 737-900 replaces Embraer E175
San Jose CA – Austin eff 27AUG19 737-900 replaces Embraer E175
Seattle – Dallas Love Field 30APR19 – 26AUG19 737-700/-800/-900 replaces Embraer E175
Seattle – Reno eff 15JUL19 Selected Embraer E175 service replaced by 737-800/-900

Just in case anyone out there has any doubt that AAG seems to be doing very well in our fair city (aka an Alaska focus city) this summarizes nicely that 5 of our existing EMJ routes will be flown with 737-900s before September! Plus, they even missed one upgrade -- SAN-MSP will become an AirBus route early next month! (Flavor of AirBus not know for sure but I would guess a 320.)

Can't say I object at all that AS seems to be growing very nicely at our little corner of the world! This helps explain why AS has become the 2nd largest airline at SDIA in 2018! (See post up-thread for link to the source of this statement.)

I love this airline!

Love this airport!

bb

tphuang

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:34 pm

If you actually look at fare data, SAN is a very weak station for AS. At some point, they do need to move out of regional to mainline to lower CASM in order to compete with WN. Doesn't mean they are not hemorraging money on some of these routes.

SANFan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:13 pm

tphuang wrote:
If you actually look at fare data, SAN is a very weak station for AS. At some point, they do need to move out of regional to mainline to lower CASM in order to compete with WN. Doesn't mean they are not hemorraging money on some of these routes.

Ahhh, well thanks for that... And we all know how AAG just loves running routes that are proven money-losers ; they're will known for doing that.

I guess then, I'll just sit back and wait to start seeing the massive and inevitable cutbacks of AS's op's at SAN, given that we are apparently such a huge money pit, eh? Silly me to continue enjoying the growth here over the last several years... They may as well just throw in the towel right now and let WN have it all!

Silly airline mistakenly just added gates at SDIA instead of cutting back to just 3 or 4 -- that's probably all they should need once SAN becomes profitable.

Love this airport.

bb

wnflyguy

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:15 pm

Well effects of the gate swaps is having an effect on concession and TSA staffing at T1E.
SAN requesting WN to shift a number of flights to T1E once it's gate renovations are complete in March.
Flyguy

tphuang

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Everyone should love SAN. It has a huge fare war right now thanks to WN and AS competition. And prices to HI and intra-california will get a lot lower this summer as WN adds capacity to both places. But in general, that means losses or razor thin margins for airlines. If you look at past quarter, AS had the lowest margin of any major airlines in US (tied with AA) and WN had the highest.
https://3rxg9qea18zhtl6s2u8jammft-wpeng ... t-01-1.png
Routes like SAN-SMF/SJC/OAK/MCI/SFO/PDX/DAL are all below average in their system in terms of margin due to AS competition. And AS does worse on them running regional without getting any yield advantage over WN.
The fact that AS is moving more routes to mainline is a sign of their commitment to the market. Anytime an airline build up a new focus city against strong competition, there are going to be a lot of loss leading routes.

smflyer

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:01 am

tphuang wrote:
Everyone should love SAN. It has a huge fare war right now thanks to WN and AS competition. And prices to HI and intra-california will get a lot lower this summer as WN adds capacity to both places. But in general, that means losses or razor thin margins for airlines. If you look at past quarter, AS had the lowest margin of any major airlines in US (tied with AA) and WN had the highest.
https://3rxg9qea18zhtl6s2u8jammft-wpeng ... t-01-1.png
Routes like SAN-SMF/SJC/OAK/MCI/SFO/PDX/DAL are all below average in their system in terms of margin due to AS competition. And AS does worse on them running regional without getting any yield advantage over WN.
The fact that AS is moving more routes to mainline is a sign of their commitment to the market. Anytime an airline build up a new focus city against strong competition, there are going to be a lot of loss leading routes.

Kind of anecdotal on my part, but the SMF-SAN flights have been full on both WN and AS birds. Yield is, however, another story.

blacksoviet

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:34 am

Why is AS parking aircraft at the Commuter Terminal? Do they actually board passengers there?

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Why is AS parking aircraft at the Commuter Terminal? Do they actually board passengers there?

Space limitations for RON aircraft that are not in the initial first-to-depart round of departures. In most places, the first RON aircraft would wait at the gate, depart first thing in the morning, and then be replaced by incoming aircraft. At SAN, that next round of departures has to happen before many of the inbound aircraft have arrived, so more aircraft have to park here - so alternative parking locations have to be found.

No passengers have boarded from the Commuter Terminal at SAN since June 3, 2015, when split operations between mainline and "all Los Angeles flights" consolidated in one terminal for all airlines. I had the honor of being the last passenger through the doors onto the tarmac and onto that plane. Since then, it still houses offices upstairs and its tarmac is the perfect overflow parking for aircraft needed the next morning.

wnflyguy wrote:
Well effects of the gate swaps is having an effect on concession and TSA staffing at T1E.
SAN requesting WN to shift a number of flights to T1E once it's gate renovations are complete in March.
Flyguy

I didn't know Southwest was officially using any gates other than T1E, which is gates 1-10. It was my understanding that T1W gates wouldn't start until Hawai'i started. Is this a temporary situation? And how long are these gate renovations scheduled to take?

My apologies if this point has been discussed before; however, I am unclear about what these are. I know the jetbridge replacement has been going on for a while (per previous postings), but that's almost done, and now exclusively in Terminal 2.

SANFan

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:41 pm

smflyer wrote:
Kind of anecdotal on my part, but the SMF-SAN flights have been full on both WN and AS birds. Yield is, however, another story.

Anybody willing, able or wanting to fly First Class between SAN and SMF, or wanting reserved seats, is going to be on AS, whether it's an EMJ or mainline. I would imagine that includes a lot of the political folks. Even though it's not that many seats, I'd be willing to bet most of the 'up-front' seats are filled on AAG flights. (The same situation exists for SJC; WN may offer 16 daily r/t this summer, but there's not a single "F" seat on any one of them! AS will operate 3 of their 4 r/t with mainline a/c in April so there will be even more available F/C seats .)

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Space limitations for RON aircraft that are not in the initial first-to-depart round of departures..... Alternative parking locations have to be found.

I haven't counted every cx RONs lately at SDIA but I would bet that AAG, with anywhere from 12 to 17 of them, leads everyone at SAN in that figure! That is a LOT of planes to find space for so nearly every nook and cranny at SAN is filled with an AS plane overnight! Look at it this way: with every available AS gate in T2E filled by midnight, that handles only about 9 or 10 a/c (depending on how many RONs AA has.) So AS has at a minimum, 3-4, to as many as 6 additional a/c to park somewhere every night. They use available gates at T1W, as already discussed up-thread, they apparently use the CT, and they might use some of the RON parking direclty behind gates 50 & 51, known as the racetrack. And who knows where else...

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
I didn't know Southwest was officially using any gates other than T1E, which is gates 1-10. It was my understanding that T1W gates wouldn't start until Hawai'i started. Is this a temporary situation? And how long are these gate renovations scheduled to take?

My apologies if this point has been discussed before.

WN has used gates in T1W since sometime last year and yes, the fact has been discussed quite a bit on this thread, and last year's edition. Sorry you missed all that. We've discussed that WN had/has not plans to offer some kind of shuttle between T1W & T1E but instead makes connecting pax go thru TSA when necessary to catch their inter-rotunda connecting flight. (Recently, I've seen that WN is using gate 11 pretty much full time, and gate 12 occasionally.)

The recent mention of WN gate renovations in T1E (by wnflyguy) is the first I've heard of that. Perhaps he will expand on those comments. I will add that I have seen nothing official about the final set-up that will exist in T1W -- and how many gates WN will actually use there. Or which part of T1 JetBlue will use when they move next month.

IF HI flights ever happen on WN (?), the carrier may concentrate them in T1W, or not. Who knows? There have been plenty of rumors but I'm afraid we just need to wait and see what happens when the moving vans have all gone and the remodel dust settles.

Love this airport!

bb

SANFan

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:43 pm

** Dup post**

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:57 pm

I know for a while there was a 5:00 AM WN departure from LAS to SAN, which I can only imagine was because they had no place to park at SAN and overnighted it at Las Vegas. I couldn't imagine there would be any demand for that early of a flight, but there it was - our airplane for a return trip to LAS.

I will admit I joined the party late with the WN in T1W already in progress. Had no idea. All of the connection stories I assumed were the familiar Gate 1/1A/2 to 3-10 nightmares. That's on me. But I'm up to date now.

If WN is going to continue to route passengers through SAN - and especially to Hawai'i - they will really need to reconsider the "no shuttle" concept, particularly if they have trouble routing mis-connected passengers because of the lines at each of the banjos. The cost of a van is nothing compared to the cost of daily headaches for re-scheduling.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos