SAN757

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Per the airport’s Facebook page, the BOAC livery 747 is flying to SAN today.

SANMAN66

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 pm

I heard that the BA 744 painted up in retro BOAC colors is on the way today!
PSA Gives you a lift!

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:43 am

Oh to have seen these posts earlier, so to have taken video of her majesty's arrival today; however, I did snap photos from the street. Given the distance between me and the landing path, I'm surprised they turned out this well, but lo and behold that iPhone 7S+ was worth it!

Stand by for an attempt of video of the take-off!

JAAlbert

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:13 am

WHAT!? How did we not get more advanced notice? I hope someone gets some good photos!

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:50 am

I got one picture and one video of the departure; however, YouTube is in a state of complete SNAFU, if you know what I mean, in that no videos are being processed. I will try again tomorrow.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 pm

YouTube seems to have worked things out this morning - uploading a less-than-30 second video was accomplished in less than a minute. I don't know what their issue was last night, but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GVpmjrCtyU&feature=youtu.be

Sorry it's a bit grainy, but it's the best I could do.

Coronado990

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Looks like AC Rouge will bring in the 767-300 today from YYZ.
We're up.

SANMAN66

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Coronado990 wrote:

I wonder if the flight was upgraded? I know the AC Rouge flight was recently upgraded from an A319 to a A321, a 767 would be a great upgrade! Someone get some pictures?
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:07 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
Coronado990 wrote:

I wonder if the flight was upgraded? I know the AC Rouge flight was recently upgraded from an A319 to a A321, a 767 would be a great upgrade! Someone get some pictures?

Yeah, the YYZ r/t has actually been a 321 now for a couple of years, and year-round too! (I think there are a few short periods in deep winter when it doesn't operate daily.)

So if a 321 isn't handling the traffic, AC might either bring back a 2nd flight in the market -- which they've done before -- or yeah, maybe the 767! March thru November are the highest traffic months (Jul & Aug are the peak) with LFs between 90 & 94%.

And YVR is nothing to sneeze at either; we are now at triple-daily CR9s year-round by Jazz.

Can you believe that we were without any YVR service for several years (2012-2016) and now we have this level of service on AC plus WS's seasonal (summer) nonstops?! I wonder if mainline AC service might not be too far off? And I suppose it's not impossible to think that we could see a U.S. carrier in the market at some point -- AS or WN anybody?

bb

Coronado990

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 am

Our normal 321 probably had to sub for a grounded MAX8 and we got the 763.
We're up.

blacksoviet

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 am

What gate does Air Canada use? Can that gate handle a 763?

LindyFlight

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:34 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

Yesterday's flight utilized gate 51, which regularly handles Hawaiian, Lufthansa, and British Airways (I know the marks tell what specific a/c, don't have the photo of it).
Last edited by LindyFlight on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawaiian717

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:36 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

san.org shows YYZ going into gate 51 today and both YVR flights going into gate 50. I took a Delta 767 ATL-SAN a few years ago that I think went into 51, and Hawaiian uses that gate for the A330, so no problem for the 767 there.

blacksoviet

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

san.org shows YYZ going into gate 51 today and both YVR flights going into gate 50. I took a Delta 767 ATL-SAN a few years ago that I think went into 51, and Hawaiian uses that gate for the A330, so no problem for the 767 there.

Why does Hawaiian use a international gate?

hawaiian717

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

Because it can handle an A330?

Way back when they started SAN service in 2000-ish, they used gate 20, which was also international capable.

51 also wasn't an international gate when they started using it.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:42 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Way back when they started SAN service in 2000-ish, they used gate 20, which was also international capable.

Remember also, these aren't exclusively international gates; they all have the option of being used for domestic OR international flights.

It's a matter of getting an A330 docked without interfering with another gate.

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:37 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Remember also, these aren't exclusively international gates; they all have the option of being used for domestic OR international flights.

Is Gate 20 still A330 capable? That gate should never have been given to Alaska. They don't even fly widebodies.

amadorE175

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:39 am

blacksoviet wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:

Is Gate 20 still A330 capable? That gate should never have been given to Alaska. They don't even fly widebodies.

Ok, but now there are other gates that can accommodate widebodies so it's not a big deal. And those widebody gates are all in a area of the airport with a better pax experience. AS needed more gates and now all of those gates in the alley can be used simultaneously.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:57 am

amadorE175 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Ok, but now there are other gates that can accommodate widebodies so it's not a big deal. And those widebody gates are all in a area of the airport with a better pax experience. AS needed more gates and now all of those gates in the alley can be used simultaneously.

Currently, the only wide-body flights to SAN are the Hawaiian A330, the Lufthansa A340, the British 747-400, and Japan Air Lines' 787. DL is currently not running any 763's to ATL, usually our standby. That's it. Hawaiian can better handle their flights at the west end of the airport, allowing Alaska to utilize another gate.

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:02 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
amadorE175 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Currently, the only wide-body flights to SAN are the Hawaiian A330, the Lufthansa A340, the British 747-400, and Japan Air Lines' 787. DL is currently not running any 763's to ATL, usually our standby. That's it. Hawaiian can better handle their flights at the west end of the airport, allowing Alaska to utilize another gate.

How many of the international gates can handle widebodies? Which gate does Lufthansa use?

hawaiian717

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Which gate does Lufthansa use?

You could have answered this question yourself here: https://www.san.org/Flights/Flight-Status

Today Lufthansa is using gate 51.

SANFan

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:05 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
You could have answered this question yourself here...

:checkmark:

Speaking of gates, I thought I'd share something that was reported by Kim Becker, the SAN CEO, during yesterday's SDCRAA Board Meeting.
(link: https://www.san.org/Airport-Authority/M ... ryId=12578 )

She said that Phase II of the new FIS construction & expansion officially started yesterday afternoon when AS's Cabo flight arrived at & used gate 46 to access the FIS facilities!

I'm not sure from what she said if all 6 gates, from 46 thru 51, are now complete; the remaining Phase II gates were not supposed to be done until this summer.

Three of the gates (if and when #47 is done) are wide-body capable, 47, 48 & 51, but I remember reading somewhere that they could handle a 4th wide body in gates 49/50 but of course they would temporarily lose a narrow body position. All I have to say is I look forward to the day when 4 or 5 of these gates are in use at the same time!

One final note. On a subject that has previously been discussed up-thread, I again saw Kimberly Becker's travel reimbursement form that covered her January 2019, trip to Manila "to the PR HQ in order to meet with PAL management". She was accompanied by Hampton and R Platt, so SDIA's Air Service Development team was also very well represented, along with the President & CEO of SAN! Hmmmm... KIm's air fare alone was over $6K and I'm pretty sure she doesn't spend that kind of money or her very valuable time on a fishing expedition, or to just drop by, shake hands, and say "Hi" with a foreign carrier's management...
(Link: https://www.san.org/DesktopModules/Brin ... &TabId=344 )

bb

Devilfish

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:24 am

SANFan wrote:
I'm pretty sure she doesn't spend that kind of money or her very valuable time on a fishing expedition, or to just drop by, shake hands, and say "Hi" with a foreign carrier's management...

Unfortunately, the report is lacking the juicy details which may cause us to await with baited breath the prospect of a deal. PR's COO didn't even mention SAN in his tweet regarding envisioned destinations during the recent Routes conference in CEB. Maybe everything is still too premature that's why it's so hush-hush? I see she had brought something to "sweeten" the offer. Hopefully, PR's tie-up with ANA could help in adding the premium traffic necessary to get the service to take off...although that would likely mean a stopover in Tokyo. Anyway, here's to the Love Bus (or something else) possibly flying to Lindy Field :!:

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

SANFan

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Devilfish wrote:
SANFan wrote:
I'm pretty sure she doesn't spend that kind of money or her very valuable time on a fishing expedition, or to just drop by, shake hands, and say "Hi" with a foreign carrier's management...

Unfortunately, the report is lacking the juicy details which may cause us to await with baited breath the prospect of a deal. PR's COO didn't even mention SAN in his tweet regarding envisioned destinations during the recent Routes conference in CEB. Maybe everything is still too premature that's why it's so hush-hush? I see she had brought something to "sweeten" the offer. Hopefully, PR's tie-up with ANA could help in adding the premium traffic necessary to get the service to take off...although that would likely mean a stopover in Tokyo. Anyway, here's to the Love Bus (or something else) possibly flying to Lindy Field

Yup! I sure hope the PR execs like See's! (I'm betting they do.) THAT may make the deal!

I'll bet somewhere there's a real trip report with details and expectations but of course that is not public for obvious reasons. Actually, it's rare around here that we ever get as much of a glimpse into the route development process at SAN as this -- this is pretty much more than I've ever seen!

I know none of this really means anything, and trips/meetings like this happen all the time around the world, but I'm still quite sure the CEO/President of our airport doesn't do this sort of adventure very often; in fact, I don't recall seeing a trip record like this for her in her relatively short tenure at SDIA. And to have both the CEO and Hampton Brown on such a trip is, SAN-wise, pretty heavy duty fire power!

As my pooch always thinks, even a tidbit is better than nothing!

Thanks for your feedback Devil'. It's always great to hear your thoughts!

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 pm

A couple of points come to mind about PR in SAN:

1) Is there anything that PR can fly non-stop SAN-MNL? And if so, will it have to go out weight restricted? Being told you can't pack that extra bag of things to MNL from SAN isn't exactly a selling point...

2) If this new flight is indeed a one-stop, can PR offer its target audience anything to encourage them to use this flight instead of the LAX flight?

3) How much "poaching" of San Diego County passengers would this new flight take away from PR's LAX service?

I know they're crunching these numbers, so I guess only time will tell.

SANMAN66

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:27 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
A couple of points come to mind about PR in SAN:

1) Is there anything that PR can fly non-stop SAN-MNL?

Could an A350 do nonstop? I'm thinking that if a 787 can do nonstop SAN-NRT, possibly an A350 can do SAN-MNL nonstop?
PSA Gives you a lift!

Devilfish

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:48 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
2) If this new flight is indeed a one-stop, can PR offer its target audience anything to encourage them to use this flight instead of the LAX flight?

I just spent four hours this morning stuck in traffic on the I-15 driving down to Murrieta from LA...what if we were going all the way to S.D.? We did not pick up speed until after Wildomar....all due to poppies on the hillsides being in full bloom. I think that is one powerful incentive, even if most times it isn't half as bad, admittedly.

SANMAN66 wrote:
Could an A350 do nonstop? I'm thinking that if a 787 can do nonstop SAN-NRT, possibly an A350 can do SAN-MNL nonstop?

Easily, if it could clear terrain from the short runway with 295 pax/baggage and enough fuel/reserves for the TPAC crossing. As the caption says, PR's A359 in the photo just returned from JFK nonstop via the polar route.

blacksoviet

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 am

Devilfish wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I just spent four hours this morning stuck in traffic on the I-15 driving down to Murrieta from LA...what if we were going all the way to S.D.? We did not pick up speed until after Wildomar....all due to poppies on the hillsides being in full bloom. I think that is one powerful incentive, even if most times it isn't half as bad, admittedly.

SANMAN66 wrote:

Easily, if it could clear terrain from the short runway with 295 pax/baggage and enough fuel/reserves for the TPAC crossing. As the caption says, PR's A359 in the photo just returned from JFK nonstop via the polar route.

Runway 27 has terrain at the end of the runway while runway 9 has a big parking structure. Which runway is easier to take off from for a transpacific flight?

Why doesn't the airport authority buy that parking structure and demolish it? There are plenty of other parking lots/structures. It makes take offs and landings on runways 9/27 more complicated than they should be. They could use the land to build a one or two story administration building.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Runway 9's parking structure is not an issue. The displaced runway threshold for landing is there because of terrain (Balboa Park), not because of any buildings in the flight path. The parking structure is at the legal height, and its removal would provide no additional take-off or landing benefits.

I would say for both trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic, runway 27 is preferred, as it means VFR conditions and a normal day weather-wise in San Diego. Runway 9 isn't any airline's favorite one to use, simply because it most probably means adverse weather conditions, such as rain and low clouds (the ILS system is only available on 9, not 27), or Santa Ana winds are blowing from the east, meaning hotter and drier conditions. In both cases, take-off calculations have to be adjusted accordingly. It's not difficult, but it is different mindset from the 90+% of the time of SAN's operations on 27.

And it most definitely hasn't kept any overseas visitors from using runway 9 when required. I remember a night in the early 2000's when I was on the penthouse bar of the Park Manor hotel, west of Balboa Park, just north of the approach path to runway 27. It was rainy with low clouds that night, and it was the first time I noticed runway 9 operations. And then came the British Airways 747-400. Yes, it was slightly lower than the stream of lightly-fueled Southwest 737's, but not out of the ordinary. I realized I had not contemplated a trans-continental departure to the east, and if there was anything different to it - and I got my answer. Apparently, none whatsoever. V1, V2, rotate, clear terrain at the end of the runway, and up, up, and away!

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:13 pm

Runway 9's parking structure is not an issue. The displaced runway threshold for landing is there because of terrain (Balboa Park), not because of any buildings in the flight path. The parking structure is at the legal height, and its removal would provide no additional take-off or landing benefits.

I would say for both trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic, runway 27 is preferred, as it means VFR conditions and a normal day weather-wise in San Diego. Runway 9 isn't any airline's favorite one to use, simply because it most probably means adverse weather conditions, such as rain and low clouds (the ILS system is only available on 9, not 27), or Santa Ana winds are blowing from the east, meaning hotter and drier conditions. In both cases, take-off calculations have to be adjusted accordingly. It's not difficult, but it is different mindset from the 90+% of the time of SAN's operations on 27.

And it most definitely hasn't kept any overseas visitors from using runway 9 when required. I remember a night in the early 2000's when I was on the penthouse bar of the Park Manor hotel, west of Balboa Park, just north of the approach path to runway 27. It was rainy with low clouds that night, and it was the first time I noticed runway 9 operations. And then came the British Airways 747-400. Yes, it was slightly lower than the stream of lightly-fueled Southwest 737's, but not out of the ordinary. I realized I had not contemplated a trans-continental departure to the east, and if there was anything different to it - and I got my answer. Apparently, none whatsoever. V1, V2, rotate, clear terrain at the end of the runway, and up, up, and away!

SANMAN66

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:13 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

And it most definitely hasn't kept any overseas visitors from using runway 9 when required.

I remember seeing a YouTube video showing the BA 747 taking off from runway 9 on a foggy night. I had always thought the terrain at the end of runway 9 was too steep for aircraft as big as 747s.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANMAN66

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 am

I saw on the news that Southwest already started the Hawaii flights. Does anyone know when they start the SAN-HNL flights? It looked a little strange to see a Southwest 737 in Honolulu! Alaska and Hawaiian is not going to like this one bit!
PSA Gives you a lift!

LindyFlight

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:39 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

And it most definitely hasn't kept any overseas visitors from using runway 9 when required.

I remember seeing a YouTube video showing the BA 747 taking off from runway 9 on a foggy night. I had always thought the terrain at the end of runway 9 was too steep for aircraft as big as 747s.

I thought the same too about heavy aircraft such as BA's 747 using 9 until I filmed that foggy night departure and another departure on a night with light rain and low ceiling.

hawaiian717

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:31 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
I saw on the news that Southwest already started the Hawaii flights. Does anyone know when they start the SAN-HNL flights?

Probably not anyone who can say without getting fired (in other words, the Southwest networking planning guys and upper management).

There was some speculation that they'd come out with this month's schedule extension, but they didn't. That may be attributable to the MAX grounding and needing the -800s earmarked for more Hawaii flying to cover for the MAX instead.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:23 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:
I saw on the news that Southwest already started the Hawaii flights. Does anyone know when they start the SAN-HNL flights?

Probably not anyone who can say without getting fired (in other words, the Southwest networking planning guys and upper management).

There was some speculation that they'd come out with this month's schedule extension, but they didn't. That may be attributable to the MAX grounding and needing the -800s earmarked for more Hawaii flying to cover for the MAX instead.

Best to not even schedule anything before someone's Hawaiian vacation falls apart. Even with their generous change policy, it still would be awful to get your hopes up.

I'm still curious how WN is going to schedule these flights out of SAN. What percent will be O&D from SAN, and what percent is going to be connecting? Westbound the time change works in their favor, but eastbound without red-eyes is a different story.

SANFan

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:32 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
I'm still curious how WN is going to schedule these flights out of SAN. What percent will be O&D from SAN, and what percent is going to be connecting? Westbound the time change works in their favor, but eastbound without red-eyes is a different story.

I guess there's no reason to expect anything different here than they're doing from the Bay area.

However, have you taken a good look at SAN's WN schedules? As they've aggressively been increasing frequencies of flights in many markets, they now have a LOT of evening departures heading east!

Here's a list of those departures from SAN (using the June schedule which sees ~130 daily departures):
>ABQ 9:00pm (7 only)
>AUS 7:00pm (X6)
>BWI 5:00pm (X6)
>CHI 7:00 pm (X67)
>DAL 6:35pm (DLY)
>DEN 9:15 pm (DLY) & 10:30pm (X6)
>HOU 7:50pm (X7)
>MCI 8:45pm (7 only)
>LAS 9:35pm (DLY) & 10:50pm (X6)
>BNA 6:10pm (7 only)
>PHX 8:10pm (X67) & 10:00pm (67 only)
>PDX 9:40pm (X6)
>RNO 10:10pm (X6)
>STL 8:20pm (7 only)
>SLC 8:30pm (X67)
>SAT 9:10pm (DLY)
>SFO 9:50pm (X6)
>TUS 9:25pm (X6)

(These departures are to only some of the 36 destinations served from SAN but can you see some possibilities?)

WN currently offers one of their HNL-OAK flights arriving in OAK at 5:50pm; OGG-OAK arrives at 5:20pm and the later one arrives at 8:50pm. IF WN runs a similar schedule to SAN, with arrivals ~5:30pm to 6pm, you can see that there would be LOTS of connecting options over SAN!

My guess is that is exactly what WN will do. (I have no idea about late flights from OAK or SJC that would offer similar connecting opportunities from their HI flights but I would expect at least OAK prolly has similar skeds to the east.)

If and when WN starts flying red-eyes, then we will see a whole new world of connections but for now, But until that time, I think WN will be able to get a lot of their pax to their ultimate destinations via SAN without having to fly all night.

bb

blacksoviet

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Are any of the 73Gs equipped for overwater flights? Or are all Hawaii flights operated by 738s?

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:54 pm

SANFan wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I guess there's no reason to expect anything different here than they're doing from the Bay area.

However, have you taken a good look at SAN's WN schedules? As they've aggressively been increasing frequencies of flights in many markets, they now have a LOT of evening departures heading east!

Here's a list of those departures from SAN (using the June schedule which sees ~130 daily departures):
>ABQ 9:00pm (7 only)
>AUS 7:00pm (X6)
>BWI 5:00pm (X6)
>CHI 7:00 pm (X67)
>DAL 6:35pm (DLY)
>DEN 9:15 pm (DLY) & 10:30pm (X6)
>HOU 7:50pm (X7)
>MCI 8:45pm (7 only)
>LAS 9:35pm (DLY) & 10:50pm (X6)
>BNA 6:10pm (7 only)
>PHX 8:10pm (X67) & 10:00pm (67 only)
>PDX 9:40pm (X6)
>RNO 10:10pm (X6)
>STL 8:20pm (7 only)
>SLC 8:30pm (X67)
>SAT 9:10pm (DLY)
>SFO 9:50pm (X6)
>TUS 9:25pm (X6)

(These departures are to only some of the 36 destinations served from SAN but can you see some possibilities?)

WN currently offers one of their HNL-OAK flights arriving in OAK at 5:50pm; OGG-OAK arrives at 5:20pm and the later one arrives at 8:50pm. IF WN runs a similar schedule to SAN, with arrivals ~5:30pm to 6pm, you can see that there would be LOTS of connecting options over SAN!

My guess is that is exactly what WN will do. (I have no idea about late flights from OAK or SJC that would offer similar connecting opportunities from their HI flights but I would expect at least OAK prolly has similar skeds to the east.)

If and when WN starts flying red-eyes, then we will see a whole new world of connections but for now, But until that time, I think WN will be able to get a lot of their pax to their ultimate destinations via SAN without having to fly all night.

bb

That's an impressive amount of research!

The scheduled stage length of a HNL-SAN flight is 8+ hours (including the time zone change). If we are generous at 8 hours, an arrival at 5 PM to allow for connections requires a 9 AM departure. A 9 hour block time (again, including the time zone change) requires an 8 AM departure. Both of these are quite feasible, but without red-eyes, connections are always going to be an "iffy" thing to me.

SANFan

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:44 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
SANFan wrote:
The scheduled stage length of a HNL-SAN flight is 8+ hours (including the time zone change). If we are generous at 8 hours, an arrival at 5 PM to allow for connections requires a 9 AM departure. A 9 hour block time (again, including the time zone change) requires an 8 AM departure. Both of these are quite feasible, but without red-eyes, connections are always going to be an "iffy" thing to me.

Correct. But as I said, the current schedules from HNL/OGG to OAK have just such timing:
Lv HNL 9:35am 12:45pm
Ar OAK 5:50pm 8:55pm

Lv OGG 9:15am 12:50pm
Ar OAK 5:20pm 8:50pm

I have no idea if SAN will have single flights to/from HNL and OGG (+ LIH/KOA?) or doubles like OAK (or anything at all!?) but WN could certainly pick up many same-day connections if they offer the early a.m. departure from the islands to SAN. That sked would likely eliminate the possibility of inbound inter-island connections so, no, it's not ideal but it's something.

If SAN gets a sked similar to OAK, with 2 flights, then there would be room for local (O&D) traffic -- on the later flight -- along with connections -- available via the earlier flight.

Who knows....

bb.

hawaiian717

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Are any of the 73Gs equipped for overwater flights? Or are all Hawaii flights operated by 738s?

No -700s at Southwest are ETOPS. -800s only to Hawaii until the MAX8 takes over.

SANMAN66

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:21 pm

The BOAC 747 will be back today!
PSA Gives you a lift!

Devilfish

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:17 pm

SANFan wrote:
I know none of this really means anything, and trips/meetings like this happen all the time around the world, but I'm still quite sure the CEO/President of our airport doesn't do this sort of adventure very often; in fact, I don't recall seeing a trip record like this for her in her relatively short tenure at SDIA. And to have both the CEO and Hampton Brown on such a trip is, SAN-wise, pretty heavy duty fire power!

I wonder which is the more unpleasant problem...having the facilities with few airlines to use those...or having to turn away airlines because there are no more slots (NAIA's predicament) to give them? :scratchchin: The airport operator stands to lose income in both cases. Anyway, passengers would appreciate not needing to switch planes in case of a one-stop...which also means a true long-hauler is not absolutely necessary. :airplane:

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:37 pm

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Truck-on-Fire-Next-to-Plane-San-Diego-International-Airport-507519751.html

Anyone have any more information on this truck fire that occurred disturbingly close to this Delta A321? Yikes!

Coronado990

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:50 am

just saw an AV 787 go by.
We're up.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:35 am

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AVA86/history/20190327/1750Z/SKBO/KSAN

You did indeed, sir! Good eye!!

I might have to go out and watch her!

dcall620

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:55 am

Coronado990 wrote:

I saw her fly over earlier too. According to Flightradar24 it was enroute to LAX I wonder why it got diverted?

LindyFlight

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:24 am

dcall620 wrote:
Coronado990 wrote:

I saw her fly over earlier too. According to Flightradar24 it was enroute to LAX I wonder why it got diverted?

It seemed that LAX was pretty congested at the time and there were many aircraft (AV included), that were circling the east county. I'd assume that they were bingo fuel and couldn't stay in the holding pattern much longer.

Mike89406

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:33 am

I saw it take off 5 mins ago

SANMAN66

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:25 pm

I was looking on Flightaware and the BA 747 is still on the schedule! Usually about this time it switches to the 77W, could it be that BA started using the 747 year-round now? They wanted to use it year-round before the FIS area was built, but couldn't because of inadequate facilities.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:55 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
I was looking on Flightaware and the BA 747 is still on the schedule! Usually about this time it switches to the 77W, could it be that BA started using the 747 year-round now? They wanted to use it year-round before the FIS area was built, but couldn't because of inadequate facilities.

Hey L-Man, I think you might be just a few days too early. The way I see it, Speedbird switches to the 777 (actually 773 I believe) on March 31 -- this Sunday -- and remains that way all summer. (I think SAN and AUS continue to swap a/c.)

What I remember hearing/reading was that BA wanted to move the SAN times earlier when the FIS facilities permitted, which might then allow us to see the Queen flying year-round to SDIA. Well, that should not be a problem now (regarding the SAN FIS) so I guess we wait and see if/when BA will make changes to their schedules here. (It apparently will not be this summer...)

bb

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos