PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:31 pm

The Avianca aircraft was on the ground for nearly two hours - I'm guessing passengers were processed at SAN and could go right to luggage claim at LAX?

We continue to hear of the Queen of the Skies leaving the BA fleet, but I haven't seen any notes or updates on its retirement dates. I'd be horrified to find that the last rotation WAS the last time was that we would see a BA 744 here without advance notice!

SANMAN66

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:52 pm

SANFan wrote:
Hey L-Man, I think you might be just a few days too early. The way I see it, Speedbird switches to the 777 (actually 773 I believe) on March 31 -- this Sunday -- and remains that way all summer. (I think SAN and AUS continue to swap a/c.
bb

Bummer!That just deflated my balloon! As far as I'm concerned, let AUS have the 773 year-round, while we get the Queen of the Skies year-round.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
The Avianca aircraft was on the ground for nearly two hours - I'm guessing passengers were processed at SAN and could go right to luggage claim at LAX?

Interesting. Thinking of the future, could SAN become an int'l overflow airport for the MANY foreign flights fighting for the more and more limited FIS facilities available at LA?
Might SAN eventually have to limit that kind of activity? For now, with as many as 6 FIS gates available here, it might be a nice income source for our airport!

Eventually, hopefully, we won't have the space to handle "visitor" flights but for now, hey, what the heck...

And yes, for that amount of ground time, I imagine all the AV pax were cleared at SDIA and then reboarded their plane to be ferried to LA. Who knows, maybe there were a few pax on AV who fell in love with SAN and, when feasible, will fly out of here in the future....

bb

LindyFlight

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:25 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

We continue to hear of the Queen of the Skies leaving the BA fleet, but I haven't seen any notes or updates on its retirement dates. I'd be horrified to find that the last rotation WAS the last time was that we would see a BA 744 here without advance notice!

I don't know about that, it sat on the north ramp the entire time it was down here and passengers probably stayed on the aircraft or went outside to stretch and whatnot.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WZKZ2Ni12A

A view of Friday's landing (March 29, 2019) of our continental guest, D-AIFD. My own video from one of my favorite watching spots - quick, but dramatic.

I'm having a rough time figuring out what Lufthansa's five days per week is, at is seems to be constantly changing. It used to be x35, but now I don't know - anyone know their battle plan?

SANFan

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:10 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
A view of Friday's landing (March 29, 2019) of our continental guest, D-AIFD. My own video from one of my favorite watching spots - quick, but dramatic.

What a nice video; thank you for sharing, 'SAN4ever. I love the soundtrack too!

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
I'm having a rough time figuring out what Lufthansa's five days per week is, at is seems to be constantly changing. It used to be x35, but now I don't know - anyone know their battle plan?

Well. Here's what the LH Timetable, Effective March 31, shows: (Here's the link: http://dl-oim.de/download/LH_Timetable_en_2019.pdf )

San Diego -07:00 SAN
>Frankfurt FRA +02:00
X25 15:05 11:20 LH467 346

I note with interest that LH still shows the SAN flights all op'ing with "346" equipment -- as it has shown for months -- so the accuracy is somewhat suspect! Also, WK is expected to operate on Tu & Fr -- when it begins in, supposedly, late May.

(BTW, according to my records, LH's winter sked, about to end, has LH op'ing to SAN X36...)

bb

hawaiian717

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:16 pm

Saw in another thread. Sun Country will be starting SAN-PDX in October:

From Portland (PDX)

Nonstop service to San Diego International Airport (SAN)
Service starts October 3, 2019
Operates 2x/week with roundtrips on Thursday and Sunday with service moving to 4x/week on November 10 with the addition of Monday and Wednesday

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1419957

SANFan

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
Saw in another thread. Sun Country will be starting SAN-PDX in October:

From Portland (PDX)

Nonstop service to San Diego International Airport (SAN)
Service starts October 3, 2019
Operates 2x/week with roundtrips on Thursday and Sunday with service moving to 4x/week on November 10 with the addition of Monday and Wednesday

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... &t=1419957

Interesting and thanks for sharing this item with us, D. SY seems to be trying out PDX as a key city, focus city, or whatever, so I'm not completely surprised that they want to connect their "experiment" with most major west coast cities. I'm glad to think SY feels that SAN is worthy of some expansion.

Of course NK had daily service in the market for a year or two and couldn't make it work so I hold little hope that 2-4 days a week service will last very long.(and seasonal would be my guess.)

So, SY will officially have 3 destinations from SAN - MSP, SJD & now PDX. I'll take it! (And that makes 3 cx in the SAN-PDX market.)

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 am

SANFan wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

What a nice video; thank you for sharing, 'SAN4ever. I love the soundtrack too!

The pleasure is always mine! And every evening I am out there, there seems to be a Chaldean event going on. Lovely people!

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Well. Here's what the LH Timetable, Effective March 31, shows: (Here's the link: http://dl-oim.de/download/LH_Timetable_en_2019.pdf )

San Diego -07:00 SAN
>Frankfurt FRA +02:00
X25 15:05 11:20 LH467 346

I note with interest that LH still shows the SAN flights all op'ing with "346" equipment -- as it has shown for months -- so the accuracy is somewhat suspect! Also, WK is expected to operate on Tu & Fr -- when it begins in, supposedly, late May.

(BTW, according to my records, LH's winter sked, about to end, has LH op'ing to SAN X36...)

bb

Thank you for the rundown on the timetable - it has now been added to my list of favorites on my browser!

I note with interest that they have FINALLY synced their schedules to ensure one flight a day, each day of the week, to a Star Alliance hub in Europe. I guess my gentle suggestions on their Facebook page were finally listened to...now to substitute an A350 upon Edelweiss' seasonal departure, and it will be PERFECT!

I wonder if SDAA gently requested this schedule, so as to better manage the flow of arrivals. I never understood the logic of the twice-on-one-day-but-zero-the-next flights; however, Alles en Ordnung!

SANFan

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Here's the basics of a post I just made on the latest OAG thread; I thought I'd post it here as well...

A couple of quick comments regarding AA's JFK-SAN route which apparently will be disappearing soon.

According to my records, AA started serving the route in the mid-60s (perhaps 1965-67?) It was, I believe, SAN's very first transcon, and has operated more-or-less continuously from the mid-60s to today! That means the route has flown for well over 50 years without interruption! We have seen as many as 3 daily AA r/t in the city-pair over the years.

Quite a sad time for us SAN folks... It is certainly a tough reminder of the new world of civil aviation we are living in that for the first time in half a century, AA will no longer have nonstop service to the New York area. (Certainly not my first big disappointment with AA in the last few years ** our DCA nonstop now living in LA** nor, I suppose, will it be the last.)

The good I can see possibly happening because of this is that this might open the door for AAG to finally add a SAN-JFK nonstop. Despite the capacity that both DL -- 3-4 daily nonstops -- and B6 -- 2 or 3 daily r/t -- offer currently between Kennedy and SDIA, it appears to me that there is still more than adequate traffic in the market for 3 carriers! (And if JFK is dropped as an AA hub, perhaps AA could then code-share with an AS nonstop?)

Any thoughts on this historic change at SAN anyone?

bb

lindy field

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:15 pm

It will be interesting to see if AA's SAN-JFK cut is related directly to the MAX grounding. AA has removed the MAX from its schedules until 8/19/19 and so the question remains if the AA flight(s) might return after August. I'm a little doubtful, but I wouldn't rule it out.

lhpdx

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:52 pm

How's AS hub and SAN doing? Are they planning more new destinations and frequencies upgrade this year??

SANMAN66

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:09 am

SANFan wrote:
Here's the basics of a post I just made on the latest OAG thread; I thought I'd post it here as well...

A couple of quick comments regarding AA's JFK-SAN route which apparently will be disappearing soon.

I was looking at that thread, apparently AA made lots cuts of flights between many cities and JFK. Several a-netters have said there is some runway work going on at JFK, promting AA to cut lots of flights to JFK, the grounding of the 737 MAX I suspect also is behind the cuts. I would worry if AA just cut SAN-JFK,
but there's lots of cities that are on AA's chopping block. I have confidence that SAN-JFK will return once the runway work at JFK is done, or the 737 MAX is flying again.
PSA Gives you a lift!

panamair

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 am

AA’s SAN-JFK complete cut is related to the MAX grounding and the JFK runway closure although it is not a MAX route and no carriers have been forced to cut flights at JFK because of the runway construction. It will probably be back once those issues are resolved.
However the fact that they chose JFK-SAN as one of the nonstops to completely cut during this time shows that it is not a good performer systemwide. I believe the PANYNJ is not penalizing airlines this summer for cutting back on JFK slot usage due to the runway construction so AA took advantage of it (but note that neither B6 nor DL have cut any JFK summer flights). But given that JFK-SAN is not a MAX route and yet AA chose to yank a 738 off the route to sustain another route/frequency somewhere else shows that those JFK transcons (except for LAX and maybe SFO) are generally underperformers (I believe JFK-SEA fares worse than JFK-SAN though). Post-MAX and runway construction, I don’t think they will pull the flight completely unless they have figured out what to do on a macro level with their JFK slots overall.

As an aside I believe DL has slightly upped their capacity this summer on SAN-JFK compared to last year as 3 daily flights will be on the 199-seat 757s and 1 will be on the 168-seat 75S. Last summer, it was one 168-seat 75S, two 199-seat 757s and one 160-seat 738.

Coronado990

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:49 pm

SANFan wrote:

According to my records, AA started serving the route in the mid-60s (perhaps 1965-67?) It was, I believe, SAN's very first transcon, and has operated more-or-less continuously from the mid-60s to today! That means the route has flown for well over 50 years without interruption! We have seen as many as 3 daily AA r/t in the city-pair over the years.

Quite a sad time for us SAN folks... It is certainly a tough reminder of the new world of civil aviation we are living in that for the first time in half a century, AA will no longer have nonstop service to the New York area. (Certainly not my first big disappointment with AA in the last few years ** our DCA nonstop now living in LA** nor, I suppose, will it be the last.)

The good I can see possibly happening because of this is that this might open the door for AAG to finally add a SAN-JFK nonstop. Despite the capacity that both DL -- 3-4 daily nonstops -- and B6 -- 2 or 3 daily r/t -- offer currently between Kennedy and SDIA, it appears to me that there is still more than adequate traffic in the market for 3 carriers! (And if JFK is dropped as an AA hub, perhaps AA could then code-share with an AS nonstop?)

Any thoughts on this historic change at SAN anyone?

bb

I believe AA started the route when the "new" terminal opened which was in the spring of 1967. Probably Sunday April 30 when the time changed to daylight savings that year.. I didn't start collecting schedules until the fall of 1967 but I manged to snag a May 1, 1967 Lindbergh Field Port of San Diego Flight Times and it shows the non-stop..
We're up.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 pm

panamair wrote:
AA’s SAN-JFK complete cut is related to the MAX grounding and the JFK runway closure although it is not a MAX route and no carriers have been forced to cut flights at JFK because of the runway construction. It will probably be back once those issues are resolved.
However the fact that they chose JFK-SAN as one of the nonstops to completely cut during this time shows that it is not a good performer systemwide. I believe the PANYNJ is not penalizing airlines this summer for cutting back on JFK slot usage due to the runway construction so AA took advantage of it (but note that neither B6 nor DL have cut any JFK summer flights). But given that JFK-SAN is not a MAX route and yet AA chose to yank a 738 off the route to sustain another route/frequency somewhere else shows that those JFK transcons (except for LAX and maybe SFO) are generally underperformers (I believe JFK-SEA fares worse than JFK-SAN though). Post-MAX and runway construction, I don’t think they will pull the flight completely unless they have figured out what to do on a macro level with their JFK slots overall.

As an aside I believe DL has slightly upped their capacity this summer on SAN-JFK compared to last year as 3 daily flights will be on the 199-seat 757s and 1 will be on the 168-seat 75S. Last summer, it was one 168-seat 75S, two 199-seat 757s and one 160-seat 738.

Could it be that DL and B6 have squeezed AA at JFK so tight that it no longer is competitive? I remember also that AA isn't keen on connecting at JFK, preferring to leave JFK to O&D traffic only (especially JFK-London) - might their yields be suffering because of this?

SANMAN66

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 am

I can remember during the 80s when AA had two DC-10s on the SAN-JFK run.
PSA Gives you a lift!

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:50 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
I can remember during the 80s when AA had two DC-10s on the SAN-JFK run.

Wasn't there also SAN-LAX-IAD and SAN-LAX-BOS on DC-10's and/or 762's?

ibthebigd

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:01 am

With only having one runway what is the contingency plan if the runway went down for a few days?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SANFan

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:25 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
With only having one runway what is the contingency plan if the runway went down for a few days?

I've never heard or seen any talk of such a contingency plan and, to be honest, I have no idea that there could be one anywhere near Lindbergh Field -- since there's only one runway!

I suppose the airport would make use of Miramar for a day or two for some limited ops in the event of some major issue at Lindbergh. Any int'l arrivals would have to divert to an LA-area airport to find FIS facilities, then use buses. Same as is done during fog-days at SAN. I don't see that TIJ could be used as an alternate even tho it's really the closest major commercial airport to Lindbergh.

bb

Coronado990

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm

ibthebigd wrote:

I guess you could use North Island and just barge the passengers across the harbor. On a more serious note, ONT is a popular reliever airport for SAN.
We're up.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 pm

ibthebigd wrote:

From experience, if SAN is unuseable (fog mostly, but a closure by a disabled plane has happened before), ONT and LAX are the most likely diversion airports. Both are well-served by the major (and minor) carriers, both have international facilities, and ONT almost never gets fogged out.

As far as runway repairs, SAN's runway was built by the navy back at the outbreak of World War II. As I recall, it is the most reinforced runway in California, but that may have changed. Resurfacing of the runway has happened before, but with VERY strict orders to not begin until 11:30 PM as well as finished for that shift by 6:30 AM.

Worst case scenario: major shutdown of the runway for more than one day. Well, no one wants to imagine that, but I would guess a LOT of buses would be running up and back to Ontario and LAX to deal with the mess. There are no other passenger facilities (in the U.S.) nearby to handle what SAN would be moving, and I would also believe that heaven and earth would be moved to get that runway clear and airplanes flying again.

ibthebigd

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks for the response's I saw another thread on contingency plan's for major airport's and was curious.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:28 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
Thanks for the response's I saw another thread on contingency plan's for major airport's and was curious.

You're welcome!

I came across this article from the airport's website:

https://san.org/News/Article-Detail/ArtMID/952/ArticleID/223/Second-Group-of-Innovators-Begin-Accelerator-Program-at-Airport-Innovation-Lab

This stuff sounds nice as a hub airport, and if room exists for it at SAN, then by all means. But SAN is not really a big transfer airport, and I doubt that any of this will be located in T1, which is where most of the likely transfer passengers are likely to be (flying Southwest).

Thoughts?

texdravid

Fri May 10, 2019 4:07 am

Well I flew BA 273, LHR-SAN this week and it wasn’t a 744 or an77W.

It was a 77E; old school with some interesting art on the side.

What happened? I know summer is low season but a 77E?

I have flown BA’s 77E’s twice lately and they are tired and old. However, the BA staff and flight attendants are so attentive and nice it was still a great flight back home to SD.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

SeanM1997

Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pm

From Winter 2019, the British Airways London Heathrow (LHR) to San Diego (SAN) will move from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 at LHR. This will mean San Diego is served with a Boeing 747 aircraft year round

In Summer 2019, the route is served by a 77W and in Winter 2018 it was served by a 789, meaning this is a capacity upgrade.

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 7502587904

SANMAN66

Tue May 21, 2019 6:32 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
From Winter 2019, the British Airways London Heathrow (LHR) to San Diego (SAN) will move from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 at LHR. This will mean San Diego is served with a Boeing 747 aircraft year round

In Summer 2019, the route is served by a 77W and in Winter 2018 it was served by a 789, meaning this is a capacity upgrade.

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 7502587904

During the winter of 2018, BA operated the 744, I've never seen the 789 show up here, only the 772, 77W, and the 744. For PHX to go from a 744 year-round to a 789, is a decrease in capacity , that's why I'm a little suspicious about that article. However, I would love to see the BA 744 here year-round!
PSA Gives you a lift!

hawaiian717

Tue May 21, 2019 6:59 pm

I agree with SANMAN, this doesn’t quite all add up. If BA wants to move SAN to T3 and be 744 year round, sure, but SAN was never a 789. It was a 744 in winter 2018.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2019 7:34 pm

British Airways/Boeing question: can anyone list for us the different cargo capacities of the 747-400, 77W, 772, and 789? I can find seating capacity easily, but given BA's desire to run the Queen of the Skies to SAN, I'd love to know the differences in what goes in the belly.

Edelweiss Air question: Are they coming back? I can't find any trace of them on Flightaware! Their season should have shown up by now...

SANFan

Tue May 21, 2019 11:50 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Edelweiss Air question: Are they coming back? I can't find any trace of them on Flightaware! Their season should have shown up by now...

From what I know, WK starts SAN-ZRH this Friday, May 24. (Looks like you asked your question just a couple of days too soon!) The service will also op on Tuesdays thru most of September. (Yes, they did shorten the season since last season but , AFAIK, they will be back at SAN shortly!)

The big question is: will they be back in 2020? To get their SAN incentive package, WK needed to fly here for 3 seasons -- 2019 is their 3rd year. IF they return in 2020, there will be no goodies. That is the test...

BA was also rumored (at one time) to want to change their sked to/from SAN to earlier in the day; they needed to wait until the new FIS facilities were operational to do so.

Looks like we need to wait and see what actually happens in 2020 with Speedbird -- both equipment and times might look different next year!

And could we see LH go daily in 2020? U/g to the 346? Both?! Hopefully they continue to be happy with their operation at SDIA!

bb

kavok

Wed May 22, 2019 12:26 am

What are everyone’s thoughts on JAL’s SAN-NRT flight? More specifically, do you see JAL switching the flight to HND with one of their many new HND-USA slots in 2020?

Obviously HND is a better location for Tokyo bound traffic, but NRT will likely still offer better onward connections to Asia. That being said, JAL has 6 new slots to use, and SAN might be one of the places they would at least consider using it on.

SANMAN66

Wed May 22, 2019 1:10 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I was going to ask the same question. May is usually the time when Edelweiss shows up.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Wed May 22, 2019 1:49 am

kavok wrote:
What are everyone’s thoughts on JAL’s SAN-NRT flight? More specifically, do you see JAL switching the flight to HND with one of their many new HND-USA slots in 2020?

Obviously HND is a better location for Tokyo bound traffic, but NRT will likely still offer better onward connections to Asia. That being said, JAL has 6 new slots to use, and SAN might be one of the places they would at least consider using it on.

SAN has been mentioned a few times over on the HND-thread; most posters seem to expect SAN to be switched to HND by JL. However, one argument made for leaving the flight at NRT is the case of MNL: apparently JL carries a lot of traffic between SAN and MNL and this option would not be available via HND. And of course, as Kavok mentioned, other points in Asia are still much better served over Narita than Haneda.

As long as SAN sees no other service to Asia besides the JL flight, including no PR or KE, we are in a bit of a tough situation and it will be interesting to see what JL decides to do -- fly from SAN to NRT or HND? (Obviously JL is pleased to not have any competition from SAN to Asia but it seems like it will still be a hard decision for them.)

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 3:19 am

SANFan wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

From what I know, WK starts SAN-ZRH this Friday, May 24. (Looks like you asked your question just a couple of days too soon!) The service will also op on Tuesdays thru most of September. (Yes, they did shorten the season since last season but , AFAIK, they will be back at SAN shortly!)

The big question is: will they be back in 2020? To get their SAN incentive package, WK needed to fly here for 3 seasons -- 2019 is their 3rd year. IF they return in 2020, there will be no goodies. That is the test...

The LH group has started coordinating schedules to SAN this year, as EK is 25 and LH is x25, thus ensuring (a) no overload on FIS/Customs at SAN, and (b) Star Alliance customers flying to SAN have the guarantee of one daily flight, connecting either through ZRH or FRA, both of which have the continent well covered. Coordination of schedules is ALWAYS a good thing, and in this case, I'll take it as a sign that LH might be ready to permanently go x7 at SAN year-round.

And could we see LH go daily in 2020? U/g to the 346? Both?! Hopefully they continue to be happy with their operation at SDIA!

bb

My dream schedule would be a combination of EK to ZRH (A340), and LH to FRA (A346) and MUC (A350), each on different days without the worry of overlap per day.

BA was also rumored (at one time) to want to change their sked to/from SAN to earlier in the day; they needed to wait until the new FIS facilities were operational to do so.

Looks like we need to wait and see what actually happens in 2020 with Speedbird -- both equipment and times might look different next year!

I wonder what the reason for the desired earlier arrival/departure time is? More connections? Earlier arrival into LHR?

DCAYOW

Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Looks like BA SAN-LHR switches to Heathrow Terminal 3 effective Autumn 2019. This is when the aircraft changes to 744. Verified on ba.com 22 May 2019.
Retorne ao céu...

SANFan

Wed May 22, 2019 5:12 pm

DCAYOW wrote:
Looks like BA SAN-LHR switches to Heathrow Terminal 3 effective Autumn 2019. This is when the aircraft changes to 744. Verified on ba.com 22 May 2019.

Thanks DCA' for verifying that at least for this year it's business as usual. I assume that on that same date in late October/early November that SAN becomes a 744, AUS becomes a 773. That's what's happened the last few years.

The big question remains: what happens in March 2020?

(Also, I assume PHX being downgraded to a 787 Speedbird has to do with AA adding their own flight between PDX and LHR. Not a surprise there.)

BTW, I just checked the WK website and SAN's service has deteriorated somewhat since the last time I checked. Friday service does in fact begin this Friday (as noted by me up-thread) but the Tuesday flight now doesn't begin until July. So July and August (as of now) will see 2 flights per week, Tu and Fr, but May and September will have only a single weekly flight (Fr.) IMO, this doesn't bode well for the future of Edelweiss at SAN... Too bad.

bb

AF773

Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Does the 767-300ER have enough range to fly from SAN to CDG? Maybe Delta could start seasonal service to CDG with the 767-300ER. Does Delta still operate a hub at CDG?

I could see KL placing a 3xweekly 789 service on AMS-SAN, summer at first then yearly.. (à la AMS LAS)

Wishful thinking on my part as I just moved to North County but KL seems the best candidate out of the DL/AF/KL JV
Next flights: SAN-SEA-ANC-MSP-CDG-TLN-ORY; CDG-AMS-DTW-DCA-MSP-SAN; SAN-SLC-SFO-LAX-SAN; SNA-SEA-HNL-SLC-SNA; SAN-LAX-CDG-SLC-SNA

hawaiian717

Wed May 22, 2019 7:14 pm

AF773 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Does the 767-300ER have enough range to fly from SAN to CDG? Maybe Delta could start seasonal service to CDG with the 767-300ER. Does Delta still operate a hub at CDG?

I could see KL placing a 3xweekly 789 service on AMS-SAN, summer at first then yearly.. (à la AMS LAS)

Wishful thinking on my part as I just moved to North County but KL seems the best candidate out of the DL/AF/KL JV

I could see Delta doing it. 763ER should be able to do it since Condor used the type on SAN-FRA, but an A330 would be nicer. The reason I could see Delta doing it instead of KL is that it avoids KL having to open a SAN station, while DL is already here and also has a major presence in AMS. But it may also come down to aircraft availability within the JV; if KL 789 (or A330) is the right aircraft and they have availability to use it then they could come. KL did go to SLC after all adding a second frequency on top of DL's existing SLC-AMS service.

SANMAN66

Wed May 22, 2019 8:24 pm

SANFan wrote:

(Also, I assume PHX being downgraded to a 787 Speedbird has to do with AA adding their own flight between PDX and LHR. Not a surprise there.)

bb

Now it's starting to make sense about BA downgrading their PHX flight to a 787. I had forgot that AA added their own LHR flight. The new AA flight from PHX is probably trashing BA's yields from there.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Wed May 22, 2019 8:30 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
I could see Delta doing it. 763ER should be able to do it since Condor used the type on SAN-FRA, but an A330 would be nicer. The reason I could see Delta doing it instead of KL is that it avoids KL having to open a SAN station, while DL is already here and also has a major presence in AMS. But it may also come down to aircraft availability within the JV; if KL 789 (or A330) is the right aircraft and they have availability to use it then they could come. KL did go to SLC after all adding a second frequency on top of DL's existing SLC-AMS service.

Hey D, I too often think about DL and int'l service from SAN -- as has been discussed many times on this thread -- seeing no particular reason they couldn't do here what they are doing in PDX. DL is currently the only carrier flying between PDX and Asia (TYO) and they also serve Europe (both AMS and recently, LHR) from Oregon.

I don't see DL flying SAN-London of course but why not AMS? And perhaps, at some point, even an Asian destination such as ICN (unless KE, their Asian JV partner, would be a better fit.) Personally, I've always loved that we continue to slowly but steadily pick up major foreign flags here -- it makes for nicer spotting and great variety -- but DL certainly has a major presence in SAN already and it would be wonderful to see some of their big birds landing at Lindbergh regularly! And, as already mentioned, they could start int'l flying our of SDIA tomorrow if they wanted.

In another parallel here to the situation in the PNW, DL has major hubs -- SEA & LAX -- located just 100-150 miles north of smaller DL stations -- PDX & SAN -- that have their own int'l traffic needs. It seems to be working up there, so I don't see why it wouldn't here.

Bottom line: I'd be very happy to have another European flag start serving SAN, or DL. And the same goes for Asia. I'd be happier to see Asia as the priority since LH is still settling in and I don't want to see their business/growth here get undermined too quickly by additional competition to Europe. JL has had a nice long period of uncontested nonstop service to Asia -- since 2012! -- and I think it's time for some competition from the likes of PR, KE/DL, HU...

bb

SANFan

Wed May 22, 2019 8:32 pm

[Duplicate post]
Last edited by SANFan on Wed May 22, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SANMAN66

Wed May 22, 2019 8:32 pm

SANFan wrote:
DCAYOW wrote:

Thanks DCA' for verifying that at least for this year it's business as usual. I assume that on that same date in late October/early November that SAN becomes a 744, AUS becomes a 773. That's what's happened the last few years.

bb

That could possibly be the reason why we would get the 744 year-round? Since PHX had the 744 year-round, it's probably moving over to SAN once PHX downgrades to a 787?
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

That could possibly be the reason why we would get the 744 year-round? Since PHX had the 744 year-round, it's probably moving over to SAN once PHX downgrades to a 787?

Yeah, L-man, maybe BA will be able to offer year-round 747 service from both SAN and AUS due to the PHX change. And I wonder if BA might eventually drop PHX completely and move that 787 elsewhere? I kind of doubt PHX has the traffic for 2 daily year-round flights to LHR but I could be wrong.

bb

SANFan

Wed May 22, 2019 8:45 pm

AF773 wrote:

Hey AF', are you new to the San Diego area? (From where?) If so, welcome and hope to hear from you regularly on 'our' thread! Always nice to see new faces here.

bb

SANMAN66

Wed May 22, 2019 8:49 pm

SANFan wrote:

BTW, I just checked the WK website and SAN's service has deteriorated somewhat since the last time I checked. Friday service does in fact begin this Friday (as noted by me up-thread) but the Tuesday flight now doesn't begin until July. So July and August (as of now) will see 2 flights per week, Tu and Fr, but May and September will have only a single weekly flight (Fr.) IMO, this doesn't bode well for the future of Edelweiss at SAN... Too bad.

bb

Things don't look good for Edelweiss here I agree. But I wonder how the pursuit for more int'l flights is coming along? I wonder if SDIA is still pursuing COPA? That would be a nice addition in case WK decides to leave town. Maybe they could pursue Icelandair too? I know they have a couple of 763s now that have the range, It's good to know that Icelandair is loosening up their love affair with the 757. Hopefully, WK will bounce back, so I won't write them off just yet.
PSA Gives you a lift!

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 pm

The downgauging of service to certain markets is certainly understandable. "Right-sizing" is always on the minds of the bean counters.

As for T3 at LHR, I assume this is where the 744's are located?

I agree that KL would be the best fit at SAN, but until the incentives are available for a new carrier, I don't think that we'll see the Royal Dutch blue here. Also, isn't AMS maxed out? I thought I read here that no new destinations are allowed or gates available unless another location is dropped.

And welcome aboard, AF773 - glad to have you here! You have seen that we had two of "you" here last fall, yes?

SANMAN66

Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 pm

SANFan wrote:
maybe BA will be able to offer year-round 747 service from both SAN and AUS due to the PHX change. And I wonder if BA might eventually drop PHX completely and move that 787 elsewhere? I kind of doubt PHX has the traffic for 2 daily year-round flights to LHR but I could be wrong.

bb

Quite possible that BA may upgrade another city that has 787 flights and do the yearly swaps with AUS with the 744/77W instead of SAN, while we get PHX's year-round 744? Two daily round-trips between PHX and LHR does seem a bit too much for PHX to handle.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANMAN66

Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 pm

AF773 wrote:
I just moved to North County but KL seems the best candidate out of the DL/AF/KL JV

Welcome aboard AF773!
PSA Gives you a lift!

hawaiian717

Wed May 22, 2019 9:47 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
As for T3 at LHR, I assume this is where the 744's are located?

Plenty of 744s at LHR T5 too, including the SAN flight during the winter season.

AF773

Wed May 22, 2019 11:23 pm

SANFan wrote:
AF773 wrote:

Hey AF', are you new to the San Diego area? (From where?) If so, welcome and hope to hear from you regularly on 'our' thread! Always nice to see new faces here.

bb

Well thanks for the welcome! :)
Yes new to the area. Moved here three weeks ago from DC, originally from Paris (hence my pseudo on here :) )
Next flights: SAN-SEA-ANC-MSP-CDG-TLN-ORY; CDG-AMS-DTW-DCA-MSP-SAN; SAN-SLC-SFO-LAX-SAN; SNA-SEA-HNL-SLC-SNA; SAN-LAX-CDG-SLC-SNA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos