Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SANFan

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:58 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
If Alaska and JetBlue currently fly SAN-BOS then what is so thrilling about adding a third airline?
I mean Amsterdam, Shanghai, or even Cancun would be thrilling, but a third airline to Boston?

Sorry Paco' but there are those including myself who like to see new routes by cx -- as a sign of growth and recognition of SAN's popularity as a destination and our airport's efforts -- whether it's a brand new intra-CA route like SBP, another carrier on an already-served route, or a new foreign flag beginning a new intercontinental route. We also tend to discuss routes that are cut from SAN's route map. Judging by most of your recent posts, you are definitely interested in other aspects of aviation in San Diego and that's fine.

(By the way, did anyone use the term "thrilled" in regards to the chance of a DL flight to BOS? I couldn't find it.)

It should be pretty quick and easy for you to just skip over posts that you don't care about without commenting as you did. I don't bother with many posts that aren't of particular interest to me. I'd add that your post wasn't really unnecessary.

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:16 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
If Alaska and JetBlue currently fly SAN-BOS then what is so thrilling about adding a third airline?
I mean Amsterdam, Shanghai, or even Cancun would be thrilling, but a third airline to Boston?

That's always my worry. Too many carriers = trashing yields. Now, if the market dictates such a thing, then by all means. But if there aren't enough DL flyers on both ends who have no loyalty to either AS or B6 and insist on DL flying their own non-stop, something's gotta give.

Amsterdam and/or Paris (could a split-weekly schedule work?) is #1 on my list, followed by COPA to PTY and ICN on KE. Flights to Mexico only work for certain tourist destinations at certain times of the year, and San Diego's second airport - Tijuana - will always compete effectively both on price and sheer number of destinations. My husband and I are taking a trip to Puerta Vallarta in April (timing it to meet friends on a cruise on the day their ship docks), and the Wednesday through Sunday airfare difference will pay for our hotel upgrade. AS is $400 per person SAN-PVR, but Volaris TIJ-PVR is $250 per person. Even with $50 per person to use Cross Border Xpress, that's still a savings of $200.

PacoMartin

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:18 pm

SANFan wrote:
It should be pretty quick and easy for you to just skip over posts that you don't care about without commenting as you did. I don't bother with many posts that aren't of particular interest to me. I'd add that your post wasn't really unnecessary.

bb

That is a fair critique which I will take to heart. I found the idea of Delta adding a 5th daily from ATL interesting.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
My husband and I are taking a trip to Puerta Vallarta in April (timing it to meet friends on a cruise on the day their ship docks), and the Wednesday through Sunday airfare difference will pay for our hotel upgrade. AS is $400 per person SAN-PVR, but Volaris TIJ-PVR is $250 per person. Even with $50 per person to use Cross Border Xpress, that's still a savings of $200.

CBX is $30 per person round trip. Are you adding in additional Uber costs for the longer ride?

Volaris needs to cater more to the gringo going to beach more. They have excellent fares, but the timing is often awkward like middle of night trips to Acapulco.

------------------
I am a proponent of a pre-clearance facility in TIJ to fly to the United States (like they have in Canada and Ireland). I am sure that DHS would question putting in a pre-clearance facility in an airport which has zero flights to the USA, but it would allow people who live in Southern SD county to use CBX and go through pre clearance and then fly to the USA and land as a domestic flight. Mexican nationals could also use the pre-clearance.

I know that 30 years ago when the connection was first suggested, the idea was to keep US citizens in "no man's land" so they don't have to go through Mexican customs and then US customs to re-enter the USA, but that has never been approved as viable. A pre-clearance would be the next best thing. Volaris has many USA destinations from other Mexican airports that would be popular with SD county residents, and it would take some of the growth strain off of SAN airport.

But step #1 is to have more gringos using the CBX for beach destinations. Right now about 30,000 air passengers per week are crossing the CBX from Mexico into USA, but most of them are drawn from the over 1 million Mexican Americans that live in Orange, San Diego, or Imperial counties that are visiting friends and family.
Last edited by PacoMartin on Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blacksoviet

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:15 pm

I think the CBX is much more conveniant than SAN for people in East County and Imperial County flying to Mexico or China.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:43 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
CBX is $30 per person round trip.

You are correct, I rounded off slightly on all the prices; total savings is still around $150 for two people.

Are you adding in additional Uber costs for the longer ride?

We have our transportation worked out quite nicely, thank you.

Volaris needs to cater more to the gringo going to beach more. They have excellent fares, but the timing is often awkward like middle of night trips to Acapulco.

Acapulco isn't a big destination for Americans anymore. Cancun and Puerta Vallarta dominate, and the violence in the city has made traffic demands to Acapulco disappear. In the 1970's, everyone flew there, and all the cruise lines docked there. Today there are no non-stops from LAX at all, and only from DFW and IAH can one fly from he U.S..

Volaris' non-stop time from TIJ is a popular timing for many Mexicans, as it gives them time during the day to make there way down to TIJ (either into the city itself or via CBX) from wherever they are coming from in Southern California, take a redy-eye flight, and arrive in the morning to get to the bus station for one of the many buses to home towns and villages.

The timing on our TIJ-PVR flight, however, is ideal for tourists. Afternoon departure southbound, early evening arrival, and an evening departure to evening arrival on the return.

redrooster3

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:57 pm

77W carry's a lot more cargo vs the 744. The 77W is an overflow for LAX cargo that bulked out, so its trucked down here. IDK if a 2nd SAN-London would be wise.

That 11am SAN-ATL is DL's most important/lucrative flight out of SAN. It should, at minimum, be a 753 as it's the gateway to all transatlantic connecting pax. Glad to see the a333 which will be a nice change of the norm for all of us.
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

blacksoviet

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:19 pm

How many weeks are you allowed to leave your car at the CBX?

PacoMartin

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:59 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Acapulco isn't a big destination for Americans anymore. Cancun and Puerta Vallarta dominate, and the violence in the city has made traffic demands to Acapulco disappear. In the 1970's, everyone flew there, and all the cruise lines docked there. Today there are no non-stops from LAX at all, and only from DFW and IAH can one fly from he U.S..

Volaris' non-stop time from TIJ is a popular timing for many Mexicans, as it gives them time during the day to make there way down to TIJ (either into the city itself or via CBX) from wherever they are coming from in Southern California, take a redy-eye flight, and arrive in the morning to get to the bus station for one of the many buses to home towns and villages.

The timing on our TIJ-PVR flight, however, is ideal for tourists. Afternoon departure southbound, early evening arrival, and an evening departure to evening arrival on the return.

Well SJD and PVR are the most popular spots for San Diego tourists. I quite liked Acapulco, but I am not generally frightened of stories of violence.

I have flown to all these airports from TIJ before the CBX was operational, and I recommend that you consider some of the colonial destinations in Mexico.

MEX México City (Ciudad de México)
GDL Guadalajara
ZCL Zacatecas
BJX León (Silao Guanajuato)
UPN Uruapan
MLM Morelia
OAX Oaxaca

I am not Mexican, but my grandfather emigrated from Spain a century ago. Oaxaca is particularly interesting because of the large concentration of indigenous people and the popularity with European tourists. It is particularly interesting as the oldest metropolis in the Americas is just outside of the city. The name has been lost to history so it is called Monte Alban because of a comment by one of the soldiers in Cortez Army that it reminded him of Monte Alban in Italy. Because of the native cuisine, the food is unbelievable, and it is a popular place to go and take cooking classes. Don't be intimidated by the photos online of riots about a decade ago.

PacoMartin

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:06 am

blacksoviet wrote:
How many weeks are you allowed to leave your car at the CBX?

I don't think there is a time limit, but at $105-$126 per week, there must be a thriftier alternative.

If you don't live in SD county:

There is no public transportation to the CBX as even the nearest bus stop is 1 mile away.
But there is a private shuttle that used to start at $10 each way to San Ysidro, but now you have to call +1 (619) 952-9846 to get fares.
- San Ysidro (last trolley stop) / Las Americas Premium Outlets (every 30 minutes)
- Downtown San Diego Train Depot/ San Diego Airport at Car Rental ( 45 minutes to car rental, and 60 minutes to Santa Fe Train Depot)
- Santa Ana, Anaheim, Huntington Park, Downtown and East Los Angeles. (1:45 to Santa Ana, and 3 hour to downtown LA with Anaheim and East LA intermediate stops).

Here are a few tips.
1. Buy your CBX ticket online. I think there is up to a 20% discount. There is certainly a bulk discount. Your party must not have to have the same last name. But you all must cross into the facility at the same time. Print out your ticket and bring it with you.
crossborderxpress.com/en

2. Fill out your FMM form online ahead of time and print them out, sign them, and bring them with you. When you fill it out, choose the "by land" option. Your point of entry is "Conexion peatonal aeroportuario Tijuana - San Diego." You will need one per person.
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

3. Print out your domestic Mexico boarding passes and bring them with you.
-----------------------

The bulk of patrons are drawn from the Mexican American community. CBX is currently being used by 30,000 people per week one way from Mexico to USA.

Hispanic or Latino (of any race) for 2010 demographics
San Diego County 991,348; Mexican 869,868
Orange county 1,012,973; Mexican 858,068
Imperial County 140,271; Mexican 134,797
Riverside County 995,257; Mexican 865,117
Los Angeles County 4,687,889; Mexican 3,510,677

PacoMartin

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:20 am

I was actually surprised that I had to fill out a FMM ( Forma Migratoria Multiple) form and pay the visitor's permit fee ($37) as I assumed that flying from Tijuana was a domestic flight. But it seems as if the law covers US citizens even if they fly from TIJ.

I almost missed my flight the first time I flew from TIJ because I tried to board without one.

BTW they are actually good for 180 days, but they often try and collect them at the airport. If you can hold on to yours you can use it for your next trip. Baja is exempt from the FMM requirement if you drive. They may still collect if you fly. But if you want to drive to Mazatlan from Arizona, you need one.

If you are not parking a car, the traditional way to get to the airport is to walk across at Otay Mesa border crossing (a lot less crowded than the San Ysidro border crossing) and take a taxi the 3.5 miles to the airport. You can tell that many people get to the airport that way, and return via the CBX to save money. The CBX takes a lot less time to cross into the USA than the regular border crossings. There is about a 30% difference in the traffic crossing the CBX into the USA vs into Mexico.

Parking at the TIJ airport is $12-$16 vs $15-$18 at the CBX. You can risk it without Mexican liability insurance, but don't have an accident. Of course, driving back across the border can take hours.

SANFan

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:44 am

I just noticed something kind of interesting on COPA's Route Map -- prolly nothing but then again it could be a bit of a tell...? Here's a link: https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/timetables

The "timetable" is accompanied by a map showing the destinations to which COPA flies; just move the map up to the US.

The interesting thing to me is that besides the red circles that indicate currently-served destinations in the US, only 3 other (non-served) cities are shown on the entire US map and guess what one of the cities is? Right (and the other 2 are Dallas and Houston.) If you zoom in on the map, many more cities are shown to be sure and if you zoom out, only the red-dot cities show up. But that default map view that is first shown... well, it is what it is...

I would bet that in 9 out of 10 random maps of any kind that show only 3 particular cities in the US, SAN would not show up. In the case of COPA's map, LA, SFO, and LAS are the only cities currently served by the carrier west of the Rockies yet they bother to also include SAN! Not SEA, not PHX...

Anyway, just thought I'd share my finding.

bb

PacoMartin

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:07 am

SANFan wrote:
Right (and the other 2 are Dallas and Houston.

It's probably not a tell since the odds of them flying to Dallas are extremely low since they are part of Star Alliance. They fly to the Star Alliance hubs in SFO, DEN, IAD, EWR,and LAX so we would assume that they would add IAH when they can fly enough MAX jets.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:22 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Well SJD and PVR are the most popular spots for San Diego tourists. I quite liked Acapulco, but I am not generally frightened of stories of violence.

I have flown to all these airports from TIJ before the CBX was operational, and I recommend that you consider some of the colonial destinations in Mexico.

GDL Guadalajara
ZCL Zacatecas
UPN Uruapan
MLM Morelia
OAX Oaxaca

I am not Mexican, but my grandfather emigrated from Spain a century ago. Oaxaca is particularly interesting because of the large concentration of indigenous people and the popularity with European tourists. It is particularly interesting as the oldest metropolis in the Americas is just outside of the city. The name has been lost to history so it is called Monte Alban because of a comment by one of the soldiers in Cortez Army that it reminded him of Monte Alban in Italy. Because of the native cuisine, the food is unbelievable, and it is a popular place to go and take cooking classes. Don't be intimidated by the photos online of riots about a decade ago.

I was lucky enough to study Spanish in Morelia, Michoacan, back in 1997. living with a family there. Our "class" took trips to Guanajuato and Uruapan, and the whole experience was utterly amazing - going somewhere with literally zero foreign tourists, unspoiled and fascinating. However, the non-stop flight I took from LAX to MLM departed at 1:00 AM and arrived at just around 5:00 AM. In speaking with a travel agent friend who sold me the ticket, she explained that there are two types of flights into Mexico: American tourists and VFR, and both serve radically different purposes. VFR flights are more popular as red-eyes, so that people on these flights have a full day to work and get to the airport, fly overnight, and have enough time to make their way from the airport to the bus station to be on the first buses to their home towns. The family I stayed with even mentioned that when one of their family members flies back from Chicago, the arrival time is 3:30 AM!!

As far as Acapulco goes, I am always saddened it isn't the hot spot it used to be, but that's out of my purview. We actually talked about taking a day trip to the city from Morelia (Michoacan and Guerrero are neighboring states), but we couldn't make it work. But it was only because of time, not because of anything else. When the market returns to the U.S., carriers will return. Until then, we're stuck with the options we have.

PacoMartin

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Volaris specializes on VFR flights since they have no real competition with USA carriers. Guanajuato is one of the most beautiful cities in Mexico while Uruapan is very pretty but it feels like the end of the Earth. When I landed there they had three regional jets a day to Mexico city, and the only full size jet went to TJ. They went through our luggage like it was a classified military flight.

I assume you went to Patzcuaro.

pdx

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:54 am

SANFan wrote:
I just noticed something kind of interesting on COPA's Route Map -- prolly nothing but then again it could be a bit of a tell...? Here's a link: https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/timetables

The "timetable" is accompanied by a map showing the destinations to which COPA flies; just move the map up to the US.

The interesting thing to me is that besides the red circles that indicate currently-served destinations in the US, only 3 other (non-served) cities are shown on the entire US map and guess what one of the cities is? Right (and the other 2 are Dallas and Houston.) If you zoom in on the map, many more cities are shown to be sure and if you zoom out, only the red-dot cities show up. But that default map view that is first shown... well, it is what it is...

I would bet that in 9 out of 10 random maps of any kind that show only 3 particular cities in the US, SAN would not show up. In the case of COPA's map, LA, SFO, and LAS are the only cities currently served by the carrier west of the Rockies yet they bother to also include SAN! Not SEA, not PHX...

Anyway, just thought I'd share my finding.

bb

PHL is also shown as a non-served city. If I place my cursor on those cities it says "map showing possible destinations".
So somebody at CM is looking at SAN! Good luck!

SANFan

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 am

pdx wrote:
SANFan wrote:

PHL is also shown as a non-served city. If I place my cursor on those cities it says "map showing possible destinations".
So somebody at CM is looking at SAN! Good luck!

Yes I noticed that too, but only in the eastern part of the US -- I couldn't get that to happen in the west. So I didn't mention it.

The more I think about it, it's hard to not get a little bit optimistic, especially given the past occurrences a couple of years ago with COPA and SAN. So my fingers will remain crossed!

Thanks for mentioning this and thanx for the 'Good Luck'.

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:46 am

Thought I'd share this letter I just received this today. I don't know who else here is on the mailing list, but it is interesting:

Friends,

As many of you know, the Airport Authority team has been working hard over the past several years on the Airport Development Plan (ADP), which envisions the replacement of the aging and outdated Terminal 1, along with related improvements. Our goal is to ensure that your airport can continue to provide a world-class customer experience for decades to come.

Last week, we took a big step in this process. We released a revised environmental study for the ADP that improves on the plan in a number of important ways. As you’ll recall, the original Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) was released in July 2018, and the community had a lot to say about it! Since then, we’ve held more than 100 meetings and did a lot of listening. Then we went back and revised our thinking to make the project work better for everyone.

When we say “everyone,” we’re talking about the 24 million people who fly each year to visit families and friends or conduct business; as well as our neighbors who live and work around the airport; and, of course, the 9,400 people who come to work at SAN every day.

The planning process has been a collaborative experience with regional partner agencies, stakeholders and the greater San Diego community, as we seek to create a plan that address the significant growth in passenger volumes we’ve seen over the years.

Nowhere is the impact of this growth more evident than in the cramped and overburdened Terminal 1. It was built in 1967 and served 2.5 million passengers its first year. In 2018, the same facility served 12 million passengers. Realistically, Terminal 1 has outlived its useful lifespan. That’s a point on which virtually everyone agrees.

So the newest vision includes everything we’ve long planned for in a new, modern airport terminal, including more gate-area seating, restaurants and shops, as well as additional security checkpoints with more lanes. The plan still calls for a proposed on-airport access road that would remove an estimated 45,000 cars per day from North Harbor Drive.

But here are six important areas in which we’ve made changes to the original plan based on your feedback:

* Transportation/Transit: The Airport Authority is working with SANDAG and other regional agencies to assist in their efforts to determine the best transit solution for carrying people to the airport. The Airport Authority has set aside space between the terminals for a transit station that could connect to a project chosen by regional transportation planning agencies. In addition, the Airport Authority will launch an all-electric shuttle fleet early next year that will carry transit riders from the Old Town Transit Center to the airport and back.

* Forecast: The official activity forecast that projects growth in passenger numbers and flights has been updated, using data from 2018. The new forecast was approved by the FAA in mid-2019.

* FAA Funding for Off-Airport Improvements: The Airport Authority has submitted a request to the FAA to approve using airport revenues to help fund off-airport roadway and transit projects designed to increase mobility to the airport.

* Parking: The size of a planned parking structure in front of the new Terminal 1 has been reduced by 2,000 spaces, from a maximum of 7,500 spaces to 5,500 spaces (a net increase of only 650 spaces from 2018), to make room for the potential transit station.

* Climate Action Plan: The revised ADP is better aligned with the City’s Climate Action Plan. Initiatives include expanded electric vehicle charging infrastructure, a bicycle path on Harbor Drive and new incentives to promote alternative commuting habits among employees.

* Sea-level Rise: The Airport Authority has completed a plan to address impacts from higher sea levels, more intense rainfall and extreme heat. For example, there is a plan to expand stormwater systems that provide the ability to capture and reuse more than 39 million gallons of rain annually. The Airport Authority is also partnering with Scripps Institution of Oceanography to monitor sea levels using advanced sensors in San Diego Bay.

One thing that hasn’t changed in the ADP is the need that drives it. A new Terminal 1 will ensure that the airport can provide a better experience for passengers as their numbers increase – and passenger volumes will continue to grow regardless of whether Terminal 1 is replaced. The FAA and the marketplace dictate how many airplanes can take off and land. It is SAN’s single runway – not the terminals – that determines the ultimate capacity of the airport.

You can read all about the ADP at http://www.san.org/plan, or check out a concise summary of the project here. You can dive into the full Recirculated Draft EIR here – where you’ll find all of the revisions I talk about in this letter described in “Alternative 4.”

As always, thanks for your feedback, input and support.

Sincerely,

Kimberly J. Becker

President / CEO

SANFan

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Thought I'd share this letter I just received this today. I don't know who else here is on the mailing list, but it is interesting:

Friends,

As many of you know, the Airport Authority team has been working hard over the past several years on the Airport Development Plan (ADP), which envisions the replacement of the aging and outdated Terminal 1, along with related improvements. Our goal is to ensure that your airport can continue to provide a world-class customer experience for decades to come.

Last week, we took a big step in this process. We released a revised environmental study for the ADP that improves on the plan in a number of important ways.

Yes, I saw the letter but haven't had a chance to look over the new doc yet; I must get to that and see the changes. Hopefully this one will survive the examinations and allow the airport to get moving!

bb

SANFan

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 am

I just spent a bit of time on the thread announcing KLM's intention to begin serving AUS next summer. Nice get for AUS, making me just a bit envious.

Maybe this indicates KLM is looking at some US expansion again and perhaps (hopefully) they're not done yet! I don't have any idea of where KLM or DL are in the intercontinental arena in SAN but I know it's been discussed on this thread and I had thought it was at least in the realm of possibility anyway.

Of course (AFAIK) I don't think the European incentive is even back in play yet after LH closed it for a couple of years so I would be very surprised to see anyone jump into SDIA without one.

I keep hoping that 2020 will turn out to be another good year here; this is the time of year when major announcements for next summer tend to happen. Finger's crossed!

bb

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:21 am

SANFan wrote:
I just spent a bit of time on the thread announcing KLM's intention to begin serving AUS next summer. Nice get for AUS, making me just a bit envious.

Maybe this indicates KLM is looking at some US expansion again and perhaps (hopefully) they're not done yet! I don't have any idea of where KLM or DL are in the intercontinental arena in SAN but I know it's been discussed on this thread and I had thought it was at least in the realm of possibility anyway.

Of course (AFAIK) I don't think the European incentive is even back in play yet after LH closed it for a couple of years so I would be very surprised to see anyone jump into SDIA without one.

I keep hoping that 2020 will turn out to be another good year here; this is the time of year when major announcements for next summer tend to happen. Finger's crossed!

bb

We beat AUS to LHR and FRA, they beat us to AMS. This is the most likely new international destination when SAN receives its next European carrier. Still would love a split AMS/CDG schedule...

By the way, when did the time expire on LH's incentive program?

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:26 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

We beat AUS to LHR and FRA, they beat us to AMS. This is the most likely new international destination when SAN receives its next European carrier. Still would love a split AMS/CDG schedule...

Also remember that SJC beat us to FRA with LH, but. SAN followed shortly. Hopefully, after KLM starts up AUS, we won't be too far behind? I'm still hoping we would get a CDG flight after AF did those flights here last December.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:31 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I haven't double checked it yet but the use of an area-specific incentive lasts, I believe, 3 years. I know that the incentive WK was taking advantage of was for 3 years - this past summer season being the 3rd - so if they do return next year, which it appears they are planning to, they will be incentive-less! So LH should still have a while left using the year-round Euro incentive offered by SDIA; they began service here March 2018 so I figure they're about half way thru their incentive. (I hope I'm right about all that but I can't guarantee it.)

Of course a new carrier can start service at SAN without the incentive...

bb

PacoMartin

Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:37 am

This article is a little dated but it does discuss incentives

How San Diego International went from “little airport” to global stop. By LORI WEISBERG APRIL 16, 2017 6 AM

In the hyper competitive air service arena, nabbing overseas flights can be a lot more challenging — and costly. For example, British Airways and Japan Airlines received $1.5 million in marketing support from the airport for nonstop flights to London and Tokyo, in addition to waived and discounted landing fees valued at more than $840,000. Similarly, Condor Airlines’ soon-to-debut nonstop between San Diego and Frankfurt, cost the San Diego airport $112,500 in marketing incentives, plus a 50 percent rebate of landing fees. Edelweiss, which will be flying twice weekly round trips to Zurich starting June 9, received the same landing fee rebate, plus $85,000 to help promote the flight.

“Getting international flights may have been more of a challenge years ago, but this industry has evolved dramatically. As an example, I’m sure Edelweiss looked at how strong the British Airways numbers were to London before they made the decision to come into San Diego.”
Copyright © 2019, The San Diego Union-Tribune

================================
Operations at San Diego Airport are up 3% for the first 8 months of 2019
+3.4% "Air Carrier"
+3.0% "Air Taxi"
-6.9% "General Aviation"
+5.9% Military
+3.0% Total

So it looks like the yearly number of operations will jump from 225K to 232K, so the airport is getting closer and closer to the 260K operations that will signal the onset of constrained operations.

Regional carriers are actually much less important at SAN airport than they are at LAX. At LAX regional carriers bring passengers from numerous local airports to catch international flights at LAX. They come from San Louis Obisbo, Palms Springs, Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, Oxnard and from SAN airport.

Regional carriers at SAN largely operate to LAX. In a recent month 98% of seats flying the 109 miles to LAX were on regional jets, while 11% of seats flying the 238 miles to LAS vegas were on regional jets. Going to a per slot landing fee instead of by weight will make it more expensive to operate regional aircraft and greatly reduce the number of operations at the airport.

SAN airport is probably less than 5 years away from breaking the 260K per year operations threshold. Does it make sense to wait until constrained operations begin to try and discourage small jets from using the airport?

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Today is the 41st anniversary of the crash of PSA flight#182 when it collided mid-air with a single engine Cessna over San Diego.
PSA Gives you a lift!

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:08 pm

SANFan wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I haven't double checked it yet but the use of an area-specific incentive lasts, I believe, 3 years. I know that the incentive WK was taking advantage of was for 3 years - this past summer season being the 3rd - so if they do return next year, which it appears they are planning to, they will be incentive-less! So LH should still have a while left using the year-round Euro incentive offered by SDIA; they began service here March 2018 so I figure they're about half way thru their incentive. (I hope I'm right about all that but I can't guarantee it.)

Of course a new carrier can start service at SAN without the incentive...

bb

I had forgotten my own timeline, as my husband and I came back from Europe in the summer of 2017 on an Edelweiss flight. This summer would be the third in which they were here, so you are correct about the incentives.

However, any smart airline would wait for the incentives to become available, of course...

And, as has been pointed out, a route announcement for next summer's travel season would probably be made in the early autumn, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for KL/AF!!

Coronado990

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:39 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Also remember that SJC beat us to FRA with LH, but. SAN followed shortly. Hopefully, after KLM starts up AUS, we won't be too far behind? I'm still hoping we would get a CDG flight after AF did those flights here last December.

I think San Diego seems like an Air France kind of town.
SFO=NoCal LAX=SoCal SAN=LoCal

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:29 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I think San Diego seems like an Air France kind of town.

Anywhere else and I'd post a meme of something French and a "c'est magnifique", but here it just wouldn't carry the same weight.

Let's let them both try it out! Both can fly a 787 here on alternating days, and let the alliance dictate via the numbers where the money is. If LH and Edelweiss could make the incentives work between them, SkyTeam can maximize those incentives as well!

PacoMartin

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Now the 76 passenger Embraer 175 are being used to fly to distances up to 1557 miles from SAN airport. So in addition to 16 daily flights the 109 miles from SAN to LAX airports, you have 29 daily flights to dozens of airports, some of which are already well served by larger jets.

These smaller jets are up to 2*(16+29)*365=32,850 operations per year taking a large chunk of the 260,000 operations annually the single runway can handle.

miles flts seats code city airline
258 98 7448 LAS Las Vegas, NV Compass Airlines
304 1 76 PHX Phoenix, AZ SkyWest Airlines Inc.
314 77 5852 FAT Fresno, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
375 31 2356 MRY Monterey, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
417 100 7600 SJC San Jose, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
447 87 6612 SFO San Francisco, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
480 89 6764 SMF Sacramento, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
508 31 2356 STS Santa Rosa, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
626 31 2356 SLC Salt Lake City, UT SkyWest Airlines Inc.
628 29 2204 ABQ Albuquerque, NM SkyWest Airlines Inc.
636 30 2280 ELP El Paso, TX Horizon Air
749 30 2280 BOI Boise, ID SkyWest Airlines Inc.
769 11 836 HDN Hayden, CO SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1027 20 1520 GEG Spokane, WA Horizon Air
1027 8 608 SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1050 3 228 SEA Seattle, WA Horizon Air
1080 52 3952 PAE Everett, WA Horizon Air
1164 30 2280 AUS Austin, TX SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1182 31 2356 DAL Dallas, TX SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1313 31 2356 OMA Omaha, NE SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1334 28 2128 MCI Kansas City, MO SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1532 9 684 MSP Minneapolis, MN SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1557 22 1672 STL St. Louis, MO Horizon Air
1557 9 684 SkyWest Airlines Inc.

futuresdpdcop

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 pm

Anyone know why a DL 764 plane is here? Landed from ATL around 1pm and scheduled to leave at 325 local.

SANFan

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 am

futuresdpdcop wrote:
Anyone know why a DL 764 plane is here? Landed from ATL around 1pm and scheduled to leave at 325 local.

Unfortunately, we know it doesn't have anything to do with a professional football team any more... Padres -- I don't think so.

bb

PacoMartin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:15 am

futuresdpdcop wrote:

Breast Cancer Awareness tour
https://news.delta.com/pink-outfitting- ... ast-cancer
B764 (N845MH) Departed 3:44 PM

27 Sep 2019 Stuttgart (STR) Atlanta (ATL) DL117 — 10:40 AM — 2:55 PM
26 Sep 2019 Atlanta (ATL) Stuttgart (STR) DL116 — 6:02 PM — 8:55 AM
26 Sep 2019 Las Vegas (LAS) Atlanta (ATL) DL1675 — 7:15 AM — 2:17 PM
25 Sep 2019 San Diego (SAN) Las Vegas (LAS) DL9995 0:52 3:15 PM 3:44 PM 4:30 PM
25 Sep 2019 Atlanta (ATL) San Diego (SAN) DL9995 3:55 12:30 PM 12:55 PM 2:00 PM
24 Sep 2019 Rio de Janeiro (GIG) Atlanta (ATL) DL60 8:50 10:00 PM 10:04 PM 6:45 AM

SonomaFlyer

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:17 am

PacoMartin wrote:

GDL Guadalajara
ZCL Zacatecas
UPN Uruapan
MLM Morelia
OAX Oaxaca

Things have changed tremendously in Mexico since the late 90's. The state of Michoacan in particular is dangerous. You can thank the drug wars fueled by American demand for drugs which changed things. The interior areas of Oaxaca and Guerrero are also unsafe from a tourist perspective. I hope this situation changes but until the demand for drugs declines, the trafficking routes and drug wars will continue.

This is why places such as Acapulco have cratered with tourism and the flights that go there are regional jet turns and not multiple mainline flights per day. The danger in such places is real and the statistics concerning shootings, kidnappings and homicides are depressing.

Hopefully, there will be a decrease in violence over time and beautiful colonial era cities such as Morelia and Uruapan will become popular once again.

PacoMartin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:56 am

SonomaFlyer wrote:
This is why places such as Acapulco have cratered with tourism and the flights that go there are regional jet turns and not multiple mainline flights per day. The danger in such places is real and the statistics concerning shootings, kidnappings and homicides are depressing. Hopefully, there will be a decrease in violence over time and beautiful colonial era cities such as Morelia and Uruapan will become popular once again.

Nobody is going to shoot you at the isolated Quinta Real in Acapulco, and you can get a room for $100 and a luxury suite for $150. You would pay triple that amount in Puerto Vallarta.
https://quintareal.com/Hotels/Details/QR/QRACA

The Qunita Real in Zacatecas is a converted bull ring. Where else can you stay in the kind of luxury for that price? Zacatecas is not dangerous (it's not warm either).
https://quintareal.com/Hotels/Details/QR/QRZAC

vedatil4

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:03 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:
This is why places such as Acapulco have cratered with tourism and the flights that go there are regional jet turns and not multiple mainline flights per day. The danger in such places is real and the statistics concerning shootings, kidnappings and homicides are depressing. Hopefully, there will be a decrease in violence over time and beautiful colonial era cities such as Morelia and Uruapan will become popular once again.

Nobody is going to shoot you at the isolated Quinta Real in Acapulco, and you can get a room for $100 and a luxury suite for $150. You would pay triple that amount in Puerto Vallarta.
https://quintareal.com/Hotels/Details/QR/QRACA

The Qunita Real in Zacatecas is a converted bull ring. Where else can you stay in the kind of luxury for that price? Zacatecas is not dangerous (it's not warm either).
https://quintareal.com/Hotels/Details/QR/QRZAC

I second those suggestions but add the Holiday Inn in Acapulco. Super rooms with a fabulous panoramic view of the bay while in bed for a little over $100 a night. That same experience in Hawaii would be $300-400 a night and wouldn't include a buffet breakfast. There was lots of police presence in the tourist zone. I didn't feel unsafe walking around during the day.

PacoMartin

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:58 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
I second those suggestions but add the Holiday Inn in Acapulco. Super rooms with a fabulous panoramic view of the bay while in bed for a little over $100 a night. That same experience in Hawaii would be $300-400 a night and wouldn't include a buffet breakfast. There was lots of police presence in the tourist zone. I didn't feel unsafe walking around during the day.

Av Costera Miguel Alemán 2311, Deportivo, 39690 Acapulco de Juárez, Gro., Mexico

I actually enjoyed the Holiday Inn, and in October rooms are $55 a night. Most of the clients come from Mexico City on weekend splurges, and it is a little old. I was picking hotels that are built in the 1990s and offer the kind of luxury that few normal people could afford in Hawaii (or even Puerto Vallarta).

Be careful of wine prices in Mexico or sometimes hard liquor. You often get a liquor or a tiny bottle of wine for 3X to 4X the price of your meal. Mexicans do not drink a lot of wine, and there are very few wineries in the country. If you are a beer drinker you are much better off.

If you can wrap your head around flying from Tijuana in the middle of the night and then trying to kill the hours until check-in, take an adventure to Acapulco or Huatulco or Ixtapa and stretch your money a lot further. If you are young and in good health there is no excuse not to give it a try.

Or really take a gamble and go to Colima where there are almost no gringos at all and lease a 6 room luxury apartment with swimming pool for less than $200 per night.
https://www.hotelesboutique.com/en/villa/casa-colina/

vedatil4

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:32 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:

Av Costera Miguel Alemán 2311, Deportivo, 39690 Acapulco de Juárez, Gro., Mexico

I actually enjoyed the Holiday Inn, and in October rooms are $55 a night. Most of the clients come from Mexico City on weekend splurges, and it is a little old. I was picking hotels that are built in the 1990s and offer the kind of luxury that few normal people could afford in Hawaii (or even Puerto Vallarta).

Be careful of wine prices in Mexico or sometimes hard liquor. You often get a liquor or a tiny bottle of wine for 3X to 4X the price of your meal. Mexicans do not drink a lot of wine, and there are very few wineries in the country. If you are a beer drinker you are much better off.

If you can wrap your head around flying from Tijuana in the middle of the night and then trying to kill the hours until check-in, take an adventure to Acapulco or Huatulco or Ixtapa and stretch your money a lot further. If you are young and in good health there is no excuse not to give it a try.

Or really take a gamble and go to Colima where there are almost no gringos at all and lease a 6 room luxury apartment with swimming pool for less than $200 per night.

The second time we flew to Acapulco, February 2018, the flight times from TIJ left at 10am and returned from ACA at 4pm (perfect!). This is how all the flights from TIJ to beach destinations should be! I paid around $110 round-trip and the superior room at Holiday Inn was $117/night including breakfast. Then, for unknown reasons,they changed the flight to terrible times (grrr!).

On that trip we also went to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo by bus. Ixtapa was nice but I prefer the look of many big buildings along a beach that Acapulco has.

I can tell you that both places had lots of Canadians on package tours that time. I remember seeing an Air Canada flight from the beach as it left Zihuatanejo going back to Montreal in mid-winter. The violence in Guerrero didn't seem to scare Canadians trying to get away snow.

Barra de Navidad and San Patricio have been on our radar screen before. Thanks for the hotel suggestion. That place looks wonderful. :-) We had figured someday we'd fly into Colima, check out Colama nearby, perhaps the volcano, and then go to the beach areas by bus.

BTW, they're building an airport somewhere along this coast of Mexico. I can't remember the name. I'll post it once I find it.

vedatil4

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:00 pm

The airport's name will be Costalegre. It'll be south of Puerto Vallarta about halfway to Manzanillo. The closest beach is a place called Chalatepec (looks wonderful). But I see there are existing super resorts south of there already. The main issue is just getting to them. The new airport will bring in the tourists if it's ever built.

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.7041139 ... a=!3m1!1e3 shows the beach and the runway.

LindyFlight

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 pm

According to this article on the UT from back in February, Hampton has stated that “We’re looking at the summer of 2020 where we would want to introduce more service to Europe, but that is dependent on economic and performance issues...” One of those dependencies of course is the performance of LH's flight to FRA which is still relatively new. So it's only a matter of time before new European service is introduced (whatever that service might be), and there's plenty of speculation in this thread of who it might be.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bu ... story.html

SANFan

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:24 pm

LindyFlight wrote:
According to this article on the UT from back in February, Hampton has stated that “We’re looking at the summer of 2020 where we would want to introduce more service to Europe, but that is dependent on economic and performance issues...” One of those dependencies of course is the performance of LH's flight to FRA which is still relatively new. So it's only a matter of time before new European service is introduced (whatever that service might be), and there's plenty of speculation in this thread of who it might be.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bu ... story.html

I recall that article -- but would never have remembered when or where it was so thanks for finding it -- and have had it tucked away in my brain since, especially that target date of next summer! It would be great to get an update out of Hampton wouldn't it?

But I bet we'll be finding out pretty soon if anything is going to start next summer. (The announcement of the AUS service on KLM confirms that fact.) Otherwise, I will accept that the time is not right yet. And honestly, I DO readily accept that it's really still a bit too soon after LH's inaugural to bring in KL or AF or ??? I REALLY want to see LH get settled in solidly and become all that it should here, just like BA and JL have. Hopefully we'll soon see LH with daily service, upgraded a/c, or maybe even additional service to another destination.

bb

itripreport

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:59 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
PacoMartin wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:

The second time we flew to Acapulco, February 2018, the flight times from TIJ left at 10am and returned from ACA at 4pm (perfect!). This is how all the flights from TIJ to beach destinations should be! I paid around $110 round-trip and the superior room at Holiday Inn was $117/night including breakfast. Then, for unknown reasons,they changed the flight to terrible times (grrr!).

On that trip we also went to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo by bus. Ixtapa was nice but I prefer the look of many big buildings along a beach that Acapulco has.

I can tell you that both places had lots of Canadians on package tours that time. I remember seeing an Air Canada flight from the beach as it left Zihuatanejo going back to Montreal in mid-winter. The violence in Guerrero didn't seem to scare Canadians trying to get away snow.

Barra de Navidad and San Patricio have been on our radar screen before. Thanks for the hotel suggestion. That place looks wonderful. :-) We had figured someday we'd fly into Colima, check out Colama nearby, perhaps the volcano, and then go to the beach areas by bus.

BTW, they're building an airport somewhere along this coast of Mexico. I can't remember the name. I'll post it once I find it.

Guanajuato I highly recommend. Out of the cities mentioned, its prolly the one that's safest, and the most beautiful one. The city is colonial, and quite amazing restaurants within it. Especially now that they're opening a Hotel Indigo within inside of the colonial city.

PacoMartin

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:30 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
The airport's name will be Costalegre. It'll be south of Puerto Vallarta about halfway to Manzanillo. The closest beach is a place called Chalatepec (looks wonderful). But I see there are existing super resorts south of there already.

The resorts in Costalegre are all super exclusive, expensive and very small. Los Alamandeas is only 16 rooms and they are over $200 a night. People pay the money precisely because it is so difficult to get there.
http://alamandas.com/

Manzanillo is where the Chinese ships drop off a lot of freight to be moved by rail to Texas.

If your freight is something complex like electronics, you must go through the Panama Canal and offload in Louisiana where you don't have to go through customs. But if you are shipping something like raw materials that go through US customs much easier, it is usually cheaper to drop it off in Manzanillo and ship it by rail through Mexico straight to Texas.

Manzanillo has mostly very low cost hotels frequented by Mexicans, but there are two very nice resorts, Grand Isla Navidad Resort and La Quinta Gran Bahía Cuastecomates which are about 40 minutes from the airport but will still be much less expensive than a similar hotel in Puerto Vallarta.

itripreport wrote:
Guanajuato I highly recommend. Out of the cities mentioned, its prolly the one that's safest, and the most beautiful one. The city is colonial, and quite amazing restaurants within it. Especially now that they're opening a Hotel Indigo within inside of the colonial city.

I concur. This is a hidden jewel in Mexico almost unknown to tourists or wealthy gringo retirees. It is one of the more exclusive places to live if you are Mexican (Vicente Fox has his ranch outside of town).

SANFan

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:53 am

In what I think of as positive news from AS, SAN is gaining more frequencies on existing routes in 2020. Their skeds show that service to AUS will go Daily-double in March, SLC will see a 2nd frequency starting in February, and staying at 2x/day at least thru the summer, and 2 of our Hawaii routes will operate daily starting in mid-March instead of late May as in the last 2 years! There might be some other positive tweaks but I haven't had a chance to carefully study all the latest changes.

SAN-AUS will go 2x daily staring March 19, both flights op'ing on EMJs; there will be a morning and afternoon/evening r/t on the new skeds offering a much better choice of service for their business travelers. We currently have a single daily mainline flight so even though the new sked could possibly represent a reduction in total seats/day, the choice of times is a real improvement on the route.

KOA and LIH will go daily on March 19 instead of waiting until late May to do so as in the past 2 summer seasons. That means that AS will fly Daily to all 4 Islands next spring AND summer! What I'm curious to see is if these 2 routes will remain daily after the peak summer season ends in late August, what with WN expected (hopefully) to enter the SAN-HI market sometime, perhaps even next year... We'll see if AS is willing and able to fight for their Hawaii markets from SAN.

In summary, the March 19 sked change from AS will add, in addition to the above-noted frequency increases, Daily-double service to BOI, STS plus 6 daily r/t to SJC! SLC will also be at Daily-double next summer, with a 2nd daily frequency beginning in late February, 2020. (Also, Daily-double to BOS begins May 21!)

bb

SANMAN66

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:33 am

Just a reminder, BA's 744 will return on Oct.27. This year, BA's "Queen of the skies" will be here to stay!
PSA Gives you a lift!

DL717

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:33 am

PacoMartin wrote:
Now the 76 passenger Embraer 175 are being used to fly to distances up to 1557 miles from SAN airport. So in addition to 16 daily flights the 109 miles from SAN to LAX airports, you have 29 daily flights to dozens of airports, some of which are already well served by larger jets.

These smaller jets are up to 2*(16+29)*365=32,850 operations per year taking a large chunk of the 260,000 operations annually the single runway can handle.

miles flts seats code city airline
258 98 7448 LAS Las Vegas, NV Compass Airlines
304 1 76 PHX Phoenix, AZ SkyWest Airlines Inc.
314 77 5852 FAT Fresno, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
375 31 2356 MRY Monterey, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
417 100 7600 SJC San Jose, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
447 87 6612 SFO San Francisco, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
480 89 6764 SMF Sacramento, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
508 31 2356 STS Santa Rosa, CA SkyWest Airlines Inc.
626 31 2356 SLC Salt Lake City, UT SkyWest Airlines Inc.
628 29 2204 ABQ Albuquerque, NM SkyWest Airlines Inc.
636 30 2280 ELP El Paso, TX Horizon Air
749 30 2280 BOI Boise, ID SkyWest Airlines Inc.
769 11 836 HDN Hayden, CO SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1027 20 1520 GEG Spokane, WA Horizon Air
1027 8 608 SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1050 3 228 SEA Seattle, WA Horizon Air
1080 52 3952 PAE Everett, WA Horizon Air
1164 30 2280 AUS Austin, TX SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1182 31 2356 DAL Dallas, TX SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1313 31 2356 OMA Omaha, NE SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1334 28 2128 MCI Kansas City, MO SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1532 9 684 MSP Minneapolis, MN SkyWest Airlines Inc.
1557 22 1672 STL St. Louis, MO Horizon Air
1557 9 684 SkyWest Airlines Inc.

And over time those will grow to become mainline markets taking pressure off of the legacy carriers trying to feed people through hubs on space wasting widebody aircraft.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

PacoMartin

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:34 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
Just a reminder, BA's 744 will return on Oct.27. This year, BA's "Queen of the skies" will be here to stay!

03 NOVEMBER, 2017 British Airways is aiming to withdraw its last Boeing 747-400 in February 2024 under its latest strategic fleet plan.

You mean it will stay until it is retired within 4 years.

LindyFlight

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:34 am

PacoMartin wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:

03 NOVEMBER, 2017 British Airways is aiming to withdraw its last Boeing 747-400 in February 2024 under its latest strategic fleet plan.

Not quite. He's saying that BA will swap equipment from the 77W to the 744 on 10/27/19, and instead of switching in March of 2020 to the 77W, it will remain a 747 until further notice.

SANFan

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:24 am

LindyFlight wrote:
PacoMartin wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:

Not quite. He's saying that BA will swap equipment from the 77W to the 744 on 10/27/19, and instead of switching in March of 2020 to the 77W, it will remain a 747 until further notice.

:checkmark: To put it another way, Speedbird will hopefully operate permanently as a 747 in and out of SAN beginning later this month, which is a major achievement for our 'little airport that could'! This is a huge landmark in our area's civil aviation world for those of us who've been in that world for decades -- myself since the late 1940s!

And yeah, I guess when the "Queen" is no longer in BA's fleet, she will cease to serve SAN...

bb

blacksoviet

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:00 am

Is the new Terminal 1 going to have fewer international gates than Terminal 2?

blacksoviet

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:05 am

SANFan wrote:
LindyFlight wrote:
PacoMartin wrote:

:checkmark: To put it another way, Speedbird will hopefully operate permanently as a 747 in and out of SAN beginning later this month, which is a major achievement for our 'little airport that could'! This is a huge landmark in our area's civil aviation world for those of us who've been in that world for decades -- myself since the late 1940s!

And yeah, I guess when the "Queen" is no longer in BA's fleet, she will cease to serve SAN...

bb

When the Queen is gone, could BA switch to the A380 for part of the year?

SANFan

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Is the new Terminal 1 going to have fewer international gates than Terminal 2?

Yes, a lot less - 0 in fact. The FIS facilities for SDIA are now, and forever, located in their present locations, T2W. That's why they built 6 FIS-capable gates.

blacksoviet wrote:
When the Queen is gone, could BA switch to the A380 for part of the year?

To the best of my knowledge, SAN is not interested in or capable of 380 ops. So no, I don't believe a 380 Speedbird is an option for us.

If a single plane in BA's future fleet does not provide the necessary capacity for SAN, then I presume we will see Daily-double service to London from them. I believe SAN is an important enough market for BA to 'spend' another slot at Heathrow on a second flight here if the demand exists. (Or, who knows, maybe 1 LHR and 1 LGW would work...)

bb