Page 25 of 25

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:47 pm
by SANFan
SAN's November numbers are out and IMO carry some disappointment again.

>The monthly report shows total pax at SAN DOWN compared to Nov 2018, at 2,002,821, -1.1%. (February 2017 is the last time we saw a monthly decrease in total pax reported at SAN!) The airport folks point out that this decrease is primarily due to the fact that the Sunday after Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel days of the year, was December 1 so those pax do not show as part of November's count. This should give the December numbers a healthy boost I guess; we'll see.

>Total pax y-t-d for 2019 stands at 23,085,658. That gives us a 3.6% increase for the year, thru November.

>The ongoing slide in int'l pax using SDIA lessened a bit with 83,508 pax, down 'only' 1.3%. The airport folks appear to have given up trying to rationalize the int'l decreases. This negative number again seems to me to bode poorly for the chances of seeing new int'l service show up at SAN anytime soon. In fact, I worry that our current levels of service will continue or if we might actually see some cuts... The 2 new cx to Canada in 2020 will hopefully help with our int'l pax numbers.

>Int'l cargo showed a 20% increase y-o-y, explained by the people who prepare the reports as another healthy increase reported by JL.

>Market share positions all pretty much held from the previous month with #1 WN gaining share (to 38.7%), #2 AS losing some (at 14.1%), and the US3 holding steady. Looks like all those routes axed by AS effective Nov 4 -- ABQ, DAL, OMA & STL -- understandably affected their numbers; their next round of 3 more cuts will happen Jan 7 although 2 new routes are being added at that time. And of course WN is continuing to deal with the MAX grounding with cancelled frequencies yet they are gaining market share...

bb

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:29 pm
by PSAatSAN4Ever
vedatil4 wrote:
I wonder what happens with US passengers flying to Europe via Toronto. Are they being checked by US customs before flying there? Doesn't Canada have an "in-transit" lounge to keep Americans from leaving the airport with comic books depicting crime? (banned there. really) I think it's up to the Canadians or, on our southern border, Mexicans receiving passengers at their airports to make sure nobody sneaks out of their facilities without going through a customs check.


U.S. and Canadian law enforcement exchange information about their citizens to each other, and any American who has ever been convicted of drunk driving is automatically ineligible to ever enter Canada, period. It nearly kept President George W. Bush from ever making a state visit, and a large number of Olympic athletes nearly weren't able to participate in the 2010 Vancouver games. As always, there are ways around it, but if you want an absolute law and make an exception, is it an absolute law anymore?

So, yes, Canada has an extremely long "Americans-not-allowed" list that all flights to Canada must check and re-check. Once they have been cleared to enter the country and board the plane, then they are treated like any other "in-transit" passenger, not allowed to leave the airport, but not required to go through Canadian customs (as one must do in the U.S.).

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:23 pm
by hawaiian717
vedatil4 wrote:
The 747SP at TIJ almost crashed in the Pacific back in '85. It hobbled it's way to San Francisco when it was really headed to LA from Taipei. Look up Air China 006 on youtube to see the renderings.


The flight in question was China Airlines 006, not Air China 006. Air China didn’t exist in 1985; it was created in 1988 when CAAC Airlines was split into six separate airlines.

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:53 pm
by jbpdx
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

U.S. and Canadian law enforcement exchange information about their citizens to each other, and any American who has ever been convicted of drunk driving is automatically ineligible to ever enter Canada, period. It nearly kept President George W. Bush from ever making a state visit, and a large number of Olympic athletes nearly weren't able to participate in the 2010 Vancouver games. As always, there are ways around it, but if you want an absolute law and make an exception, is it an absolute law anymore?

So, yes, Canada has an extremely long "Americans-not-allowed" list that all flights to Canada must check and re-check. Once they have been cleared to enter the country and board the plane, then they are treated like any other "in-transit" passenger, not allowed to leave the airport, but not required to go through Canadian customs (as one must do in the U.S.).


Glad I made my trips to Canada years ago before the law changed. It wouldn’t be worth the trouble to get “approved.” I have no desire to go back to Canada again.

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:52 am
by blacksoviet
Did America West or Continental ever fly the 737-100 to SAN?

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:38 am
by vedatil4
jbpdx wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

U.S. and Canadian law enforcement exchange information about their citizens to each other, and any American who has ever been convicted of drunk driving is automatically ineligible to ever enter Canada, period. It nearly kept President George W. Bush from ever making a state visit, and a large number of Olympic athletes nearly weren't able to participate in the 2010 Vancouver games. As always, there are ways around it, but if you want an absolute law and make an exception, is it an absolute law anymore?

So, yes, Canada has an extremely long "Americans-not-allowed" list that all flights to Canada must check and re-check. Once they have been cleared to enter the country and board the plane, then they are treated like any other "in-transit" passenger, not allowed to leave the airport, but not required to go through Canadian customs (as one must do in the U.S.).


Glad I made my trips to Canada years ago before the law changed. It wouldn’t be worth the trouble to get “approved.” I have no desire to go back to Canada again.


Canada has a lot of great places to visit. But it's hard to get a cheap flight to say, Winnipeg, when the weather is good. Recently Swoop, Flair, and other low cost carriers have been reducing Air Canada's grip. It still costs way too much to fly up to and across Canada though.

Swoop is going to start flying from San Diego to Edmonton next year. The mall there is great if anyone wants a fun weekend getaway.

But yes, the DUI equals a felony rule keeps some otherwise good people from visiting.

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:19 pm
by vedatil4
hawaiian717 wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:
The 747SP at TIJ almost crashed in the Pacific back in '85. It hobbled it's way to San Francisco when it was really headed to LA from Taipei. Look up Air China 006 on youtube to see the renderings.


The flight in question was China Airlines 006, not Air China 006. Air China didn’t exist in 1985; it was created in 1988 when CAAC Airlines was split into six separate airlines.


You're right.

In any case, if the plane is converted into a hotel, they could have quick tours around the plane explaining the incident and pointing out repairs. The pilot just barely pulled it out of a nosedive into the Pacific.

It seems someone spent a little money and elbow grease on the aircraft to make it more presentable last year. I wonder how she looks on the inside though. I imagine it's dusty and spooky in there.

I think she's worth saving from being chopped up and made into piles of metal.

We'll all remember how great these "queens of the skies" were when being packed into A321XLRs for transatlantic flights in a few years.

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2019

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:41 pm
by qf789
Please continue discussion in San Diego Aviation Thread - 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437985