Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheDutchman92
Topic Author

JQ tailstrike paranoia or industry practice?

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Firstly hello from Sydney! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I've been into planes since I was a child and my fav aircraft is the A330 by a whisker followed by the B767.

I was recently returning from a holiday in Hobart and catching a newly configured 186 pax (1 extra row) Jetstar A320, I found it strange that the FA was blocking passengers from sitting in rows 30 and 31, the aircraft was relatively full and Hobart's single runway is 2750m so by no means a struggle to get airborne. Are JQ that paranoid about a tailstrike that they prevented 2 pax from sitting up back for takeoff? I should note the FA said they could move there as they please after departure.

Gemuser

Re: JQ tailstrike paranoia or industry practice?

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:53 am

It was most likely for weight & balance reasons, even in big jets the limits have to be observed.

tb727

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:14 am

They may also be keeping those rows open for themselves if the flight isn't full.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

smi0006

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:10 am

If there are any fail to board passengers, normal practice is to do a name page and seat check. Hard to do seat checks when people start swapping seats. Thus easier if everyone stays in their allocated seats until take off.

Newbiepilot

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:26 am

Sounds like weight and balance issues. 186 seats is a dense configuration and whatever is in the cargo hold could have resulted in a CG issue limiting use of the last two rows.

undertheradar

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:44 am

Adding to the other posters replies (except tb727), airlines have Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and cabin crew are required to follow those procedures, and passengers are required to follow cabin crew instructions related to those procedures.. SIMPLE :)

NASBWI

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:00 am

tb727 wrote:
They may also be keeping those rows open for themselves if the flight isn't full.

The OP stated that the FA said that he was welcome to move there after departure. So no, it wasn’t to keep it to themselves for the flight.

As most others have posted, it was most likely for weight and balance. It’s not uncommon, and certainly not unique to JQ.

At the airline I fly for (in the US), working FA’s occupying a customer seat at any point of the flight is strictly forbidden.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

qfatwa

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 am

NASBWI wrote:
tb727 wrote:
At the airline I fly for (in the US), working FA’s occupying a customer seat at any point of the flight is strictly forbidden.

Jetstar crew do not have the time to take a passenger seat !!

avier

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 am

I noticed that on JQ NZ domestic flight last year. They prevented some pax from moving to the last row which was empty citing W&B. Maybe just airline policy.

avier

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:29 am

sevenair

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:33 am

It was standard on all Ryanair flights when they had free seating and was the front and rearmost rows. I imagine it’s a similar thing. When out of trim it’s easier to move passengers then it is bags and cargo.

TheDutchman92
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks for the responses all! I have never witnessed this before so was curious. I just would have thought it would be less pertinent on a 320 than a 321 due to the rotation angle being more forgiving.

So in summary I can gather from the replies:

- it's for the sake of SoPs, no point only following them half the time.
- it saves extra calcs the pilot/ FO would have to do re trim
- it's for passenger manifest interrogation.
- it's that extra redundancy that is crucial in aviation.

tb727

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:14 am

NASBWI wrote:
tb727 wrote:

I guess I work for a pretty laid back airline. Sorry I came off not knowing what I was talking about as I missed the last sentence in the post somehow.

It was most likely for WB but there are always other circumstances. As far as SOP goes, some operators allow pax to mover after takeoff but then require them to be back in their assigned seats for landing.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Flyingdevil737

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:19 am

TheDutchman92 wrote:
Firstly hello from Sydney! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I've been into planes since I was a child and my fav aircraft is the A330 by a whisker followed by the B767.

I was recently returning from a holiday in Hobart and catching a newly configured 186 pax (1 extra row) Jetstar A320, I found it strange that the FA was blocking passengers from sitting in rows 30 and 31, the aircraft was relatively full and Hobart's single runway is 2750m so by no means a struggle to get airborne. Are JQ that paranoid about a tailstrike that they prevented 2 pax from sitting up back for takeoff? I should note the FA said they could move there as they please after departure.

Is this after the runway extension?
If so, I’m pretty sure you can land (takeoff?) a 777 here at HBA.
In the century-old war between very fast-moving aircraft and the ground, the ground has yet to lose.

Coexstud

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:53 am

NASBWI wrote:
tb727 wrote:

The OP stated that the FA said that he was welcome to move there after departure. So no, it wasn’t to keep it to themselves for the flight.

As most others have posted, it was most likely for weight and balance. It’s not uncommon, and certainly not unique to JQ.

Yes that’s right after you get into the air the planes uses fuel which allows for people to occupy those seats when airborne it’s standard procedure to move pax too where they need to be to offweight a zone or section when the captain puts into the computer pax weight half weights luggage etc cargo to move the pax too areas to balance them things change as gas is used or they wouldn’t need fuel to fly the plane......

BrianDromey

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 am

Ryanair used to block more forward than rear rows. The very front (extra legroom) weren’t usually blocked. Passengers started to complain about the empty seats and being squashed together in the centre. The assumption was that it made cabin service easier. Ryanair wrote in the in-flight catalogue that it was for optimum weight & balance and reduced fuel burn. I’m not sure how true the fuel burn aspect is.

vhqpa

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:17 am

When JQ first started c.2004/2005 they had an open seating policy. It was quite common for them to block seats off with these orange belts (similar material to a seat belt IIRC) feed around the armrests.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

TheDutchman92
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Is this after the runway extension?
If so, I’m pretty sure you can land (takeoff?) a 777 here at HBA.[/quote]

Not sure if it has been extended, but 2750 is the current length and a 744 arrived and departed their recently (departed light fuel and no pax).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos