BrooklyBOMgal

Re: Gatwick drone closures

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Times r changing. England is no longer the England it used to be.

CarbonFibre

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:49 pm

This whole story is a load of old rubbish! The "damaged drone" bit has clearly been concocted by the embarrassed parties involved.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Plane spotters could be an asset for the aviation world. Air Force auxiliaries might be the agency to license and supervise the locations.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

TC957

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:34 pm

The reports of drone sightings started late at night, so that and with no aircraft movements to see the next day is why no airliner buffs were around to help with enquiries.

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:10 pm

TC957 wrote:
The reports of drone sightings started late at night, so that and with no aircraft movements to see the next day is why no airliner buffs were around to help with enquiries.

That is too simplistic an answer.

Did Gatwick announce it would be closed for the entire day. On any of the days?
I don't recall that happening. :shakehead:

In most cases, the announcement that the airfield would close (or remain closed), only came minutes before it was executed. And typically it only applied for a short period. Or at best overnight "until 0800"
Since not every plane spotter lives with 10mins of Gatwick, quite a few would set out on the road, hoping to be there when the airfield was scheduled to re-open, hoping to catch tons of exotic and unusual visiting a/c drafted in to help clear the backlog. :lol:

Hell, I've sat at airfields closed for fog, waiting (& hoping) for the sun to burn it off later on. I've also gone home at the end of the day having seen diddly-squat.

But if you had some sort of crystal ball that told you the airfield was going to be closed ALL DAY, guaranteed, then yeah, I wouldn't have hung around just to see a drone.
But some would.....
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Bhoy

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:16 pm

scbriml wrote:
Apparently, the "no drone" comment by police was a 'miscommunication'! There were 67 drone sightings that the police say were legitimate, so the perpetrators are still at large.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46670714
The suggestion there may not have been any drones at Gatwick Airport was a "miscommunication by police", a government source has told the BBC.

During a conference call between ministers, chaired by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling, it was agreed the 67 drone sightings were legitimate.

And everything Chris Grayling says is always trustworthy... :duck:

scbriml

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:29 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
This whole story is a load of old rubbish!

Would I be wrong in thinking you're a conspiracy theorist?

Bhoy wrote:
And everything Chris Grayling says is always trustworthy...

Possibly not, but it's the police saying 67 drone sightings are legitimate.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Some1Somewhere

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:38 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
TC957 wrote:

In most cases, the announcement that the airfield would close (or remain closed), only came minutes before it was executed. And typically it only applied for a short period. Or at best overnight "until 0800"
Since not every plane spotter lives with 10mins of Gatwick, quite a few would set out on the road, hoping to be there when the airfield was scheduled to re-open, hoping to catch tons of exotic and unusual visiting a/c drafted in to help clear the backlog. :lol:

Hell, I've sat at airfields closed for fog, waiting (& hoping) for the sun to burn it off later on. I've also gone home at the end of the day having seen diddly-squat.

But if you had some sort of crystal ball that told you the airfield was going to be closed ALL DAY, guaranteed, then yeah, I wouldn't have hung around just to see a drone.
But some would.....

Not to mention that there were also police helicopters, and the promise of military gear (more helis?) and magic anti-drone equipment on display.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:51 pm

So, the UK has surveillance camera everywhere, but can’t find a drone over its second largest airport?

GF

Planeflyer

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:47 am

I’m late to the party so excuse me asking but were there any reports from pilots?

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:33 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
So, the UK has surveillance camera everywhere, but can’t find a drone over its second largest airport?

GF

A camera cannot see what was never there. :stirthepot:

(On a boring factual note; security cameras generally point down, not up. But if you had admitted you knew that, it would have prevented you from posting a cheap-shot at the UK, even if they do deserve it...) :box:

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:55 pm

One would think cameras at airports would point in both directions, not to mention the ever-present plane spotters.

Early one morning London Control, asked, MAC xxxx, forward your tail number, please? I was surprised at the odd request, replied with the tail number and asked why the request. “A plane spotter at Gatwick called and requested the number”. Apparently, they’re dying off.

GF

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:25 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
One would think cameras at airports would point in both directions, not to mention the ever-present plane spotters.

Early one morning London Control, asked, MAC xxxx, forward your tail number, please? I was surprised at the odd request, replied with the tail number and asked why the request. “A plane spotter at Gatwick called and requested the number”. Apparently, they’re dying off.

GF

Pah, you're just a young fraud; in the good old days, you're MAC callsign was also your tail number. And you were so proud of it, you painted the numbers in large bold black script on a gleaming white tailplane. All we get now is barely visible tiny lettering in one shade of grey, superimposed on a background of a different grey. Talk about 50 shades.....
For chrissake, even U2 serials were more visible than that.

"MAC 40615 contact Croughton on Triple-1-7-6"

TC957

Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:04 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
TC957 wrote:

But some would.....

Pretty much any spotter would think twice about going to LGW with no aircraft movements and the place crawling with police and army operations.
However, if one spotted a drone for real that day they would have made a great name for him/herself.

Elementalism

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:31 pm

blooBirdie wrote:
We're really through the looking glass now:

"Police tell BBC News they “cannot discount the possibility that there may have been no drone at all”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46665615

Hahahaha /facepalm

Elementalism

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:37 pm

This is sounding more and more like a Battle of Los Angeles moment.

JetBuddy

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:52 am

There are incredibly precise target acquisition / tracking radars - some of them can even find an artillery projectile mid air, determine the ballistic trajectory and locate enemy artillery positions. Does the British military have these? They would be able to find a drone within seconds. Maybe this technology should be part of the radar installations at major airports? Without the weapons of course.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:34 am

JetBuddy wrote:
There are incredibly precise target acquisition / tracking radars - some of them can even find an artillery projectile mid air, determine the ballistic trajectory and locate enemy artillery positions. Does the British military have these? They would be able to find a drone within seconds. Maybe this technology should be part of the radar installations at major airports? Without the weapons of course.

I realise the recent debacle at Gatwick may have led you to believe that Britain was living in the 19th century and running on coal, but yes, we do have these precision devices, but not necessarily at Gatwick. In fact my brother-in-law was a techie at one such location, but it is all strictly classified, and if I told you what he told me, he'd have to kill us both..... :lol:

Revelation

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:16 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

I realise the recent debacle at Gatwick may have led you to believe that Britain was living in the 19th century and running on coal, but yes, we do have these precision devices, but not necessarily at Gatwick. In fact my brother-in-law was a techie at one such location, but it is all strictly classified, and if I told you what he told me, he'd have to kill us both..... :lol:

During my first trip across the North Yorkshire Moors I drove past some huge golf balls. Then, years later, a giant pyramid. You Brits really do honor geometric forms whenever you get the chance! On a great scale too I might add. Too bad you can't use these things to locate other things. That might come in handy some day.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

JetBuddy

Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:10 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

Come on, they're not that secret. We have several of them here in Norway, on tracked carriers. It would take a matter of hours to get them where they're needed.

So yes, it does seem like you're living in the 19th century. Two days to catch a drone that might be non existant is simply pathetic.

EA CO AS

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:31 am

scbriml wrote:
it's the police saying 67 drone sightings are legitimate.

Were these cranes among them?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8053661/g ... ne-lights/

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

gregpodpl

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:11 pm

After reading about it for days I'm starting to have a feeling that someone may have a commercial interest in this chaos...

CarbonFibre

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Have the innocent couple flogged their story to The Sun yet?

ELBOB

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:28 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
There are incredibly precise target acquisition / tracking radars - some of them can even find an artillery projectile mid air, determine the ballistic trajectory and locate enemy artillery positions. Does the British military have these?

Yes, the Army has had such radars since Green Archer entered service in the early 1960s.

But this isn't really a military problem. Airports have to step up to the mark and fund anti-drone equipment, processes and training themselves as a cost of doing business. Just like how they build fences and do perimeter patrols to exclude people, or have bird-scarers operating. They don't ring for the Army for those jobs.

JetBuddy

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:01 pm

ELBOB wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
There are incredibly precise target acquisition / tracking radars - some of them can even find an artillery projectile mid air, determine the ballistic trajectory and locate enemy artillery positions. Does the British military have these?

Yes, the Army has had such radars since Green Archer entered service in the early 1960s.

But this isn't really a military problem. Airports have to step up to the mark and fund anti-drone equipment, processes and training themselves as a cost of doing business. Just like how they build fences and do perimeter patrols to exclude people, or have bird-scarers operating. They don't ring for the Army for those jobs.

Which is why I suggested they should be part of the radar installations of any large airport. It's not about a military problem or not - military technology finds civilian applications all the time.

Revelation

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:23 pm

ELBOB wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

I think the airports would argue it is a military problem, or at least a police problem. It's not clear the authorities want civilian entities deciding what is and is not an invasion of their airspace and then acting on such a decision. Besides airports today specialize in problems such as how can we make more people walk through more high end retail shops before they get to their planes. They're just not set up to deal with this kind of problem. That's what happens when you privatize infrastructure.

DrPaul

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:35 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
One would think cameras at airports would point in both directions, not to mention the ever-present plane spotters. Early one morning London Control, asked, MAC xxxx, forward your tail number, please? I was surprised at the odd request, replied with the tail number and asked why the request. “A plane spotter at Gatwick called and requested the number”. Apparently, they’re dying off.GF
Pah, you're just a young fraud; in the good old days, you're MAC callsign was also your tail number. And you were so proud of it, you painted the numbers in large bold black script on a gleaming white tailplane. All we get now is barely visible tiny lettering in one shade of grey, superimposed on a background of a different grey. Talk about 50 shades..... For chrissake, even U2 serials were more visible than that. "MAC 40615 contact Croughton on Triple-1-7-6"

But the USAF KC-97s coming across here to Frankfurt -- they were on regular rotation from various Air National Guards -- used call-signs and the London ATC bloke would sometimes ask for their serial numbers; I heard that a few times on my VHF wireless, frequency 132.45 if I remember correctly. We're talking here about the late 1960s and early 1970s.

TheKennady2

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:25 am

This whole story is nonsense, there was no drone, it was likely a series of UFO sightings that cant be explained, the drone is just a cover for what what they dont want to admit. Most drones can only be in the air for 30 or so mins, there is no way multiple drones were seen over the airport and no real suspects seen operating them. The drone signals can be easilly traced by ground radar, the story about the couple arrested was them being used as patsies. There is more we are not being told, to close a airport for 36hrs because of a few drone sightings and could not locate any legit suspects in that time? We need to ask more questions.

Revelation

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:03 pm

TheKennady2 wrote:
This whole story is nonsense, there was no drone, it was likely a series of UFO sightings that cant be explained, the drone is just a cover for what what they dont want to admit. Most drones can only be in the air for 30 or so mins, there is no way multiple drones were seen over the airport and no real suspects seen operating them. The drone signals can be easilly traced by ground radar, the story about the couple arrested was them being used as patsies. There is more we are not being told, to close a airport for 36hrs because of a few drone sightings and could not locate any legit suspects in that time? We need to ask more questions.

A radar tracks a drone's signals, you say? Tell us more.

TheKennady2

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Revelation wrote:
TheKennady2 wrote:

The signal can track drones to be exact. But UFOs are a different story. The British Army was called, a total shut down, a panic, this is clearly more than just a few "drone" sightings.

kalvado

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:15 pm

TheKennady2 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
TheKennady2 wrote:

The signal can track drones to be exact. But UFOs are a different story. The British Army was called, a total shut down, a panic, this is clearly more than just a few "drone" sightings.

Things like plastic bags and birds flying around can definitely be a contributing factor. I wouldn't be surprised if there was actually a drone or two - maybe even those deployed by police for the search....

EChid

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Wow, we're really dipping into the conspiracy theories bowl now.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

Planeflyer

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm

TheKennady2 wrote:

Classic!

pugman211

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:27 am

Heard a rumour that Gatwick airport has just been sold to someone. Food for thought.

I know the rules, but I personally haven't found a source, hence why I state it as a rumour.

EChid

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:08 am

pugman211 wrote:
Heard a rumour that Gatwick airport has just been sold to someone. Food for thought.

I know the rules, but I personally haven't found a source, hence why I state it as a rumour.

Already fact, and being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411529
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

Apprentice

Re: Gatwick closed because of 2 drones

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:59 am

[quote="FredrikHAD"]Still no aircraft movements around LGW on FR24, only ground vehicles. Also, no planes are lined up for landing, so LGW must still be closed. A family member is flying out this afternoon with D8, and at first the flight was delayed 2:50 hours, but then all of a sudden on time, only to be delayed an hour again.

Regarding eliminating drones, there has been no need for that in the past since those incidents have been (as far as I know) "only" stupid kids trying to record a really cool video once or twice. This seems (?) like a deliberate act to stop operations at LGW. If that is the case, or drone incidents in the future show the same length in their disruption of operations, I'm quite certain measures will be taken to bring them down. Skeet shooters may not be the best countermeasure though as bullets tend to fall to the ground if they miss their target and may cause fatalities. If the drone threat becomes too disruptive, other, more precise, methods will be developed. How about a drone-seeking drone with the ability to send out a local EMP pulse or simply jam known frequency bands of drone remotes? Then again, an advanced drone will return home if radio contact is lost, so EMP might be the best way.

/Fredrik
Hi:
Disagree, Kids are Kids. No stupids.....Parents is another questions
Rgds

“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

BirdBrain

Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Speaking of conspiracies, it's beginning to look a lot like a sales demo of a certain company selling anti-drone system. The drone sightings came out of the blue, were very effective, then disappeared without a trace. Made ordinary traveling public very upset who now expect it not to happen again. Conveniently found a scapegoat couple who are now released without charges. Now we are being told it's nothing to see here folks, move along while we talk about effective countermeasures. I say great job of a marketing team. Taxpayers get your wallets ready.

Does anyone know if the sightings were on the approach or departure path? Or both? I have heard rumors some sightings were on the runway, but that I find hard to believe. Sorry if I missed it up thread.

Revelation

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:17 pm

BirdBrain wrote:
Speaking of conspiracies, it's beginning to look a lot like a sales demo of a certain company selling anti-drone system. The drone sightings came out of the blue, were very effective, then disappeared without a trace. Made ordinary traveling public very upset who now expect it not to happen again. Conveniently found a scapegoat couple who are now released without charges. Now we are being told it's nothing to see here folks, move along while we talk about effective countermeasures. I say great job of a marketing team. Taxpayers get your wallets ready.

We've now covered the spectrum from primal human greed to extraterrestrials.

How come we've had no attempt to blame the Russians yet?

I think human stupidity should get more weight.

Two people think they hear a drone and then the power of suggestion takes over to the point we get a claim of 200 sightings but zero photographs despite the fact that everyone carries a camera with themselves these days.

The plods don't want to admit they have their heads up their arse so they throw out the sightings claims with zero evidence.

Makes the most sense to me.

Fitlikemin

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Revelation wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

A-Haaaaa.............................

Revelation

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Fitlikemin wrote:
Revelation wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

I know who to call!

JetBuddy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:53 pm

To be fair - until any drones have been found and positively identified - they're Unidentified Flying Objects.

Planeflyer

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:29 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
To be fair - until any drones have been found and positively identified - they're Unidentified Flying Objects.

Ok that is fair but I’m hoping he meant the outer space kind.

Mind you I don’t believe in ufo’s but the fact that someone does and could fold it into this discussion just tickles me.

A3801000
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:40 pm

TheKennady2 wrote:
ttDid your mum give you some new blankets for your room in the basement?

DFW17L

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Revelation wrote:
Fitlikemin wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I know who to call!

So, when Max and 99 take a shot at the drone, we all know what he's going to say...."Missed it by that much".

I think we need to call in Emma Peel and John Steed and have them take a shot at the flying buzzard with a shoulder mounted bazooka that shoots clotted cream and kidney pies.

AirlineCritic

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Revelation wrote:
I know who to call!

Drone busters?

Revelation

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 pm

BirdBrain wrote:

Now that sufficient time has passed, we read:

London’s Gatwick and Heathrow airports have ordered military-grade anti-drone defenses worth “several million pounds” after drones caused three days of disruption at Gatwick last month, The Times newspaper reported on Thursday.

Ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN1OX1KX

Seems to be working as planned.

asdf

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:47 pm

Revelation wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:

Now that sufficient time has passed, we read:

London’s Gatwick and Heathrow airports have ordered military-grade anti-drone defenses worth “several million pounds” after drones caused three days of disruption at Gatwick last month, The Times newspaper reported on Thursday.

Ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN1OX1KX

Seems to be working as planned.

LOL

would be kinda funny if investigations could really proof a (for instance) phone history between some of their companys telephone connection and a mobile phone login at one of the cellular towers in that area at that time ...

AndyW35

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:58 pm

I have to say that for tin foil hat conspiracy theorists this currently has a lot more gas in the tank for it to run and run.

The first sighting was done at night, but drones are really hard to see at night, then people got spooked.

Did anyone ever see the drone that caused the previous diversions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdfVIdsufI8

Maybe there is just someone driving his van with orange flashing lights around Gatwick who sees "drones" everywhere?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos