Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777LRF
Topic Author

Emirates after Tim Clark

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 pm

We've heard in recent years that Sir Tim Clark's retirement is coming up but still no fixed date. Reason I ask is, when Clark does finally retire, who will continue running with their current successful business model and will things remain as competitive and successful as they have been under STCs leadership?

VV

Re: Emirates after Tim Clark

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:51 pm

He is lucky to be able to leave soon. Istanbul opened it's new airport and Turkish started taking delivery of a lot of aircraft. They could well drain a chunk of the traffic from Dubai.

xwb777

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:03 pm

I have 3 guesses for the next president:

1- Ghaith Al Ghaith (Flydubai CEO will move to Emirates)
2- Garry Chapman of Dnata
3- Adel Ahmad Al Redha (current COO)
And Sir Tim will then be appointed as a Senior consultant for the airline and group.

aemoreira1981

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Is there anyone that has an apprenticeship under Tim Clark who could qualify, given that Tim Clark, and Maurice Flanagan before him, were part of the original team of Emirates back when they were just a 3-plane outfit (one A30B, 1 B733, and 1 B722)?

blink182

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:15 pm

What about Christoph Mueller? Currently in the company as chief digital and innovation officer. Formerly CEO of SN, EI, and MH. Surely he’ll at least be part of the conversation.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

TheDBCooper

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:54 pm

VV wrote:
He is lucky to be able to leave soon. Istanbul opened it's new airport and Turkish started taking delivery of a lot of aircraft. They could well drain a chunk of the traffic from Dubai.

I'm sure it'll be a factor, but I question how much a factor it'll be. I can't say I value highly the reputation of Turkey given their unstable political environment, If they are truly going to position themselves as the gateway to beyond Europe, they are going to have to work extremely hard to rid themselves of a negative image. On the flip side, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad have all proven their service and built up loyalty in their customer base.

Prost

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:28 pm

You don’t have an enterprise the size of EK without a clear line of succession. EK is incredibly successful, and with continue to be so.

lightsaber

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:15 am

I saw old links that STC retires by 2025, this will be a long transition.

Related, I see EK has received the last 77W. Wow... End of a different era.

https://gulfbusiness.com/video-dubais-e ... 777-300er/

I'm not sure who is next. What I know is that the main competition is ET and TK. QR and EY didn't make the scale in time and certainly not the profit.

What is amazing is that India hasn't changed policy enough to have a viable contender.

Lightsaber
5 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

smartplane

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:03 am

Could be a shared role. One of the three listed by xwb777, plus someone to manage the integration of Flydubai and other possible acquisitions and mergers.

PerfectGriffin

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:07 am

He's taken a back seat recently and isn't giving so many comments to the media as he used to. More recently, other senior executives including Sheikh Ahmed have been talking to the media. If I had to guess, I think Mueller will be his replacement.

PerfectGriffin

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 am

lightsaber wrote:

I'm not sure who is next. What I know is that the main competition is ET and TK. QR and EY didn't make the scale in time and certainly not the profit.

What is amazing is that India hasn't changed policy enough to have a viable contender.

Lightsaber

Don't write off QR so fast. QR has a fleet of over 200 aircraft, is growing faster than EK (both in fleet and destinations), and is already approximately two thirds of the size of EK.

KSAAirliner

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:46 am

Sir Tim Clark statement to AirlineRatings:

“You’ve got to be able to mentally and physically lead a business,’’ he says. “Time will knock on the door and this is a younger man’s business.

“And I say that even more now as change in the business is moving at such a pace. People say ‘that’s nuts that you are so involved’ and I say but that’s what I do.

“My succession will be determined by the shareholder. When I choose to go that will be it.”

He adds: “It is very big shoes for anyone in this seat. It may be better that people are more transitory than I have been.”

Sheikh Ahmed, the chairman, has stated publicly that he would like to see an Emirati take over the President’s job, rather than another expat.

Source

parapente

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:11 am

He may wish to see he final pieces of what is his gigsaw in place before he goes.The engine decision on the (final?) A 380's,the firming up of the 777X/B787-10 order(s) in whatever combination makes most sense to him.The launch of the new premium class ( that's quite a big deal actually).Closer integration with Fly Dubai?
Any huge deal -take over of Qatar ?New airport move. Would be for his successor.
Personally cannot see any country/airline challenging their position now.Far too strong.They may nibble at the edges but that's it.

NTLDaz

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Don't write off QR so fast. QR has a fleet of over 200 aircraft, is growing faster than EK (both in fleet and destinations), and is already approximately two thirds of the size of EK.

Not to dismiss what you're saying but it's not unusual to be growing faster off a smaller base.

One big advantage EK has over QR is Dubai compared to Doha. I mean the destination not the airport.

c933103

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:17 am

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Isn't QR larger than ET?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

VTCIE

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:34 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:

Quite right (see the QR pun there?). QR is a capable contender to EK, with EY having withdrawn from the race. QR is more than two-thirds the size of EK: it's 80% the size. Unless TK can launch a bunch of flights to the likes of BLR/MAA/CCU/HYD or PER (if not SYD/MEL), it is nowhere compared to QR, let alone Emirates Airline. Only QR can launch flights to Southeast Asian destinations like Krabi and Da Nang, or Eurasian destinations like Sarajevo and Tbilisi. It is too much to expect A6- or TC-registered aircraft flying to those places.*

*When I talk of TC-registered aircraft, I talk of routes like IST-DAD and IST-PEN, not IST-SJJ and IST-TBS, which are served anyway.

Plus (although this is entirely irrelevant) TK has no F product, and QR (since it has the Qsuite, the world's best business class by a mile) has a first class only in name, so EK is the only one to have a true first class.

c933103 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Isn't QR larger than ET?

EY and ET are roughly the same size, while QR is double the size (by way of fleet strength).
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos