gdubflyer
Topic Author

The solution to drone safety issues

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Hello,

I'm sitting here thinking that with the recent disruption at LGW, its only a matter of time before some knuckleheads do this at ORD, JFK or LAX. But, is there not a way to install in the perimeter of the airport, some sort of signal jamming device? If the armies of the world can jam radars and equipment for military aircraft, is that a possible solution for airports? Some kind of jamming/ bring down device that would disable any drone on a 900 MHz, 1.2 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz frequency within a 5 mile radius? Just wondering out loud what the true solutions are... Banning them won't stop people. But ruining them if they cross the "line in the sky" would.... Thoughts?

kjeld0d

Re: The solution to drone safety issues

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Saw this net launcher few years ago but I don't think it went into production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sURKOPtI9ME

kalvado

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:49 pm

So, no cell service, bluetooth or wifi within 5 miles from the airport?...

N212R

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:58 pm

How did we all survive without WiFi or bluetooth at and around airports? How quickly we forget...

Cell service would be more of an issue. A smart someone would be designing banks of modern payphones.

goosebayguy

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Jamming radio signals around airports who probably need them more than anywhere else is not going to work.

smithbs

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:31 pm

The military can't just turn on a jammer over civilian areas - the same applies to everyone else. And emission control around an airport is a HUGE deal - you CANNOT interfere with the radio systems, navigation aids, comm channels, etc etc that are present at the airport. There are a lot of stiff regulations when it comes to EMC.

There is geofencing, but that would only work if the drone was equipped with it. Many drones, including mine are hobby-built and/or cheap and therefore don't always carry that feature.

Throwing physical objects at it is dicey (nets, buckshot, etc). A drone is a really small target, with valuable objects laying beyond it in an airport setting.

Maybe heat it up with a laser to the point of component failure? Again, you have to be sure nothing is beyond it, and the range would be relatively close such that you might still argue the beam is not collimated and therefore safe at distant ranges.

GCT64

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:37 pm

If the drone is flying autonomously on a pre-programmed GPS route, then why would jamming help? (the other benefit for the perpetrator is that they don't need to hang around to get caught).
And yes (for all those criticising the UK Government, including our own citizens): "its only a matter of time before some knuckleheads do this at ORD, JFK or LAX" (or CDG, FRA, AMS)

(You could, of course, jam or turn off the GPS signal but the drone might have an inertial backup and GPS has "quite a few" other uses)
Last edited by GCT64 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

goosebayguy

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Jamming radio signals around airports who probably need them more than anywhere else is not going to work.

FredrikHAD

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Jamming would ony be operable when a drone is actually intruding. Radio signals can be extremely directional, so neighboring areas need not be affected at all. Then again, a GPS waypoint guided drone will not be disabled by jamming the radio controls. A laser can be focused to a certain distance and after that it will spread slowly. It can be constructed to be harmless at normal flight altitudes and still fry a drone 1 km away. Directional EMP pulses from an anti-drone drone or ground station is my best bet though.

/Fredrik

dtw2hyd

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Net seems to be a pretty safe option. They have to figure out to deliver the net. Launcher looks macho, but I doubt it is viable or cheaper. Drone delivering net looks promising. Maybe Falcons delivering the net, if they can be trained.

AirKevin

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:21 pm

N212R wrote:
How did we all survive without WiFi or bluetooth at and around airports? How quickly we forget...

Cell service would be more of an issue. A smart someone would be designing banks of modern payphones.

Nowadays, we have our boarding passes on our phones.
Captain Kevin

stratclub

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:31 pm

The penalty for airspace incursion needs to be of a more immediate and effective nature. A person that is guilty of airspace incursion should be strapped down so that anyone that is effected by the persons irresponsibility can take turns kicking that person in the jewels. You can't fix stupid, but you sure can modify stupid behavior.

It would make for a very effective training video for people that buy drones and even high power lasers and think that common sense rules for safe operation don't apply to them.

PatrickZ80

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Any kind of jamming device would only work for radio controlled drones, which are the cheap home-user models. Professional drones are controlled in another way. Some work on cellphone networks, some fly a pre-programmed route and some even got satellite communication systems built-in. Those are not affected by jamming devices.

The best solution is in strict laws and severe punishments. This would make anyone with plans for drone abuse think twice. The few ones that aren't scared off are going to be really sorry.

Of course the first rule should be that all drones need to be registered and licensed. The possession of an unregistered or unlicensed drone, even if you don't use it, should be punishable. Licenses are only given to drones with geofencing software on it (and enabled). Disabling the geofencing function would make the drone illegal and the owner punishable. Every registered drone must be checked annually by an authority to see if it has been tempered with.

Of course this wouldn't totally prevent drone abuse (there's no way it can be prevented), but it would sure make it a lot more difficult. Where to obtain an illegal drone? What if you get caught with it?

FGITD

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:30 pm

AirKevin wrote:
N212R wrote:

Beyond passenger amenities, a huge amount of equipment used by airline and airport operations staff would be effected. Very critical equipment

Myriad

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:38 pm

How about next time this happens, offer a $100k/100k ₤ reward to anyone who catches a drone or the person behind it. Then bring busloads of people to the area near the airport where this is happening and let then watch what happens.

scootaway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:24 am

These video suggests it is technologically possible to force a rogue drone to land by aiming at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27-2WDIZR0

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... 8557475467

o0OOO0oChris

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:58 am

I think punishment and huge fines are justified, but would not repell those idiots.

The idiots who closed down the airport, if caught, would be lieable for all costs they caused, for every single airline and passenger they caused financial damage, which would be millions in total. If they get caught, they will live a really poor life till they are dead. They would be done.

A girl who changed her mind and did not want to travel to the canaries with her boyfriend had the brilliant idea to prank Düsseldorf Airport with a bomb thread by phone. Not all airlines sued, but still the bill she had to pay was 207.000€. All she will earn the next 30 years, above the poverty level, will go to Düsseldorf Airport. No matter how successful her career will be and how much she will work overtime, she will live like a social wellfare citizen.

The drone guy`s caused a lot more damage, and their life will be ruined for shure when they hopefully get caught, even without going to jail.

I don`t think those guy/guys would have used expensive drones, as the possibility of loosing them would be high. Expensive drones have lower producion numbers, making the buyers easier to track.

I think the possibility is high that those drones where radiocontrolled, mass-produced and not expensive. They have specific command protocolls and frequencies. The signal is identifiable and the rc remote control and the idiot`s position is trackable. If the drone has live camera on it, it can be tracked too. If It`s wifi then it get`s a little more complicated, but if you got scanners around the airport, you can make a snapshot of all wifi mac adresses in the area, especially those who are sending drone-typical patterns and have something good to investigate.

I think with moderate investment in research and development, you can get ahead of the game in drone defense pretty quickly.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Of course the first rule should be that all drones need to be registered and licensed. The possession of an unregistered or unlicensed drone, even if you don't use it, should be punishable. Licenses are only given to drones with geofencing software on it (and enabled). Disabling the geofencing function would make the drone illegal and the owner punishable. Every registered drone must be checked annually by an authority to see if it has been tempered with.

+1. I think registering drones is long overdue. It`s easy to do for someone who is into drones, but also effective if something happens.

I flew rc/sailplanes 20 years ago, and once encountered really strong thermals. My sailplane was sucked up by a cloud, and it reappeared 500m away in a steep dive. It crashed 30m away from a street, could have caused a lot of damage.

I know someone who had a 5kg motor plane. While landing, he hit the ground hard and the receiver battery disconnected, making it uncontrollable, and as the landing looked bad, he applied full power just before the battery disconnected. It took off again and flew for another 15 minutes, crashing through a window into a bedroom, fortunately empty.

I really think an ID on any rc-controlled plane, drone or helicopter must have a id tag on it, so if something went wrong and a drone escapes and causes damage, the owner is trackable and the damage could be handled by insurance. I always had my name and adress on all my gear. Which should be mandatory if it`s not already. And if someone get`s caught with an untagged drone, heavy fines must result.

Insurance wouldn`t help those current idiots, as this is a criminal act.

As the damage done is really high, I think they will definitely be caught.

Myriad wrote:
How about next time this happens, offer a $100k/100k ₤ reward to anyone who catches a drone or the person behind it. Then bring busloads of people to the area near the airport where this is happening and let then watch what happens.

I think $50.000 reward would be enough. If you do something as stupid as flying a drone into controlled airspace multiple times, your probably stupid enough to boast with it. And 50.000$ is probably worth more than a friendship with an idiot in those circles.

Some1Somewhere

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:10 am

scootaway wrote:
These video suggests it is technologically possible to force a rogue drone to land by aiming at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27-2WDIZR0

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... 8557475467

That's just a targeted jammer.

The FCC will still take you to the cleaners, and collateral damage even outside the cone could still be quite severe.

Now, remember that ADS-B and some Autoland systems rely on GPS. And 911 won't work if you block the cellphone network.

Any drone not relying on whatever you block will, of course, be unaffected. And not all are programmed to nicely descend on a signals failure.

N212R

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:24 am

AirKevin wrote:

And for decades and decades of the Jet Age we survived with paper tickets or printed boarding passes.

Nobody wants their precious modern conveniences curtailed but IF this incident is a harbinger of worse things to come ALL potential solutions should be on the table.

TWA772LR

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:51 am

Bird shot.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Super80Fan

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:27 am

N212R wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

And for decades and decades of the Jet Age we survived with paper tickets or printed boarding passes.

Nobody wants their precious modern conveniences curtailed but IF this incident is a harbinger of worse things to come ALL potential solutions should be on the table.

Just stop it.

Most airlines have WiFi and antennas on most of their aircraft.

Not to mention, all of the equipment inside the airport and used by the airlines/security that run on different frequencies.

Your wet dream is not going to happen.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

aviationaware

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:02 am

Airports should install a laser cannon at the middle of the runway length and just shoot down any drone that enters the airport area mercilessly.

anplatinum

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:06 am

How long will it be before we see copycat episodes at other airports? A means of countering drone incursions must be developed quickly and installed at airports. Other suggested solutions such as licensing and regulation are too long term.

mmx747

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:46 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Bird shot.

Or Clint Eastwood.. :D

bohica

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:30 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Bird shot.

Shoot the drone down first. Ask questions later.

Kikko19

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 am

the best would be a reaper flyng around the airport and launching hellfires to any source of radio waves to any flying object.

ELBOB

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:05 am

All these 'lock them up for life' reponses are hilarious. At a certain point it would become less punishable to fly a microlight around in the airport TMA, park a truck in the middle of a runway or just use a shoulder-launched SAM, than to fly a drone into airspace.

If airport owners want to continue to locate near to population centres then they have to accept and deal with the irrationality of people. Throwing the problem over the wall to the policitians to 'solve' is lazy and moves the burden onto the taxpayer ( police time, prosecution, imprisonment ). We the public already give them enough in tolerating their noise and pollution without further underwriting their commercial operations.
Last edited by ELBOB on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

StTim

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:10 am

To all those suggesting shooting at it - fine over open countryside, but there are a lot of residential areas around airports. I would prefer aircraft noise to spent shells and drone parts landing on my street.

ltbewr

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:59 am

Once again, we see where an available technology is well ahead of existing laws and their enforcement along with a lack of social pressures. At some point, there will be serious damage or deaths to persons in aircraft that are hit by or aircraft hitting with a large drone and already we have seen commercial aircraft have collisions with drones.

It would be interesting to see who did these stupid drone flights at LGW. It seems the LGW situation was somewhat coordinated event. It could be NIMBY's or left wing nut jobs who hate the noise and pollution from the airport and aircraft. It could have been some teens or young adults who were just being stupid and wanting to get their kicks by disrupting a major airport. It also could have been a coordinated test by potential terrorists or those wanting to disrupt the UK government for their own reasons.

Using guns and other projectiles has a lot of issues as to public safety and liability, Best would be 'see something - say something'. I recall several years ago in NJ Liberty State Park that is located about a mile across from lower Manhattan and very close to the Statue of Liberty where someone started to operate a small drone in violation of law and common sense. Upon seeing it, I told police who were nearby attending to another matter who went to the operator and had them stop operating it and they complied. If someone sees someone operating a drone anywhere near an airport, report them to the local police and let them check to see if a legit and permitted commercial or law enforcement use or a limited 'toy' one. If not, then police tell them to take it down, they take their personal info and if caught again, they face fines, even jail time and civil damage assessments for persistent violations. Rewards/incentives to turn in illegal drone operators could be considered too. The main thing is to prevent another such event from happening to any airport before their is more than inconvenience.

dmorbust

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 am

Israeli Dome Drone technology used to defeat Gatwick UAV: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... k-UAV.html

frmrCapCadet

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:46 pm

The laws a murky, and intersect with a variety of agencies and political units. We live along side a major naval facility, and still have not come up with appropriate laws and regulations. A restriction on elevation near certain infrastructures seems logical to me. No drones within a few hundred/thousand feet of certain facilities and critical airspace, and not above 50 feet over terrain for the next few thousand feet. Specific flights and plans available for exceptions. There are innumerable commercial needs for drone usage. Complicated.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

PITingres

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:08 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The best solution is in strict laws and severe punishments. This would make anyone with plans for drone abuse think twice. The few ones that aren't scared off are going to be really sorry.

Yes, because that sort of deterrence works really well as seen by how it stopped drug sales in America. Oh wait....

I'm in favor of harsh punishments for drone abuse, but anyone who thinks this will stop or even reduce it is ignoring history and human nature. There are going to have to be other preventive measures, registration or whatever.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

UpNAWAy

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 pm

A net gun (like used for wild animals) would be the solution.

peterinlisbon

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Another drone that automatically tracks down and follows the first one would probably be the best solution. Then when it lands they can arrest the perp, or at least film them and their car/house from the air.

JoeCanuck

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Radio blocking devices would not work on a drone programmed with a planned flight path. There are apps available that allow the planning of a flight route, including altitude, attitude, heading, speed and camera angle parameters and once the program is initiated, no further pilot input is required.

While it's not as accurate as GPS, it could fly the route based on it's built in inertial navigation.
What the...?

ORDfan

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:21 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Another drone that automatically tracks down and follows the first one would probably be the best solution. Then when it lands they can arrest the perp, or at least film them and their car/house from the air.

You beat me to it, but I will echo...basically my thought is to fight fire, with fire. A drone with air-to-air combat capabilities is probably the best bet. While most of the recent UCAV's have focused on air-to-ground, recon, CAS mission profiles, it's well-document that air-to-air is the next logical step. Perhaps this is another use-case that furthers those developments.

N212R

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:42 pm

dmorbust wrote:
Israeli Dome Drone technology used to defeat Gatwick UAV: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... k-UAV.html

All well and good but it didn't prevent this incident in the first place nor did it render the danger "inoperable" until plenty of economic and commercial damage had been caused.

This sort of threat ain't going away and the smart guys will find a workaround, even from the Israelis.

KarlB737

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:44 pm

stratclub wrote:
The penalty for airspace incursion needs to be of a more immediate and effective nature.

I believe like all of you that this is big and a serious issue. I don't think we will see "jamming" inserted as a partial solution here. I have to wonder if a stronger penalty could be the start of a well thought out solution. The current penalty is 5 years in the slammer. I think that is not enough to deter this crap. With the amount of lives at stake I believe automatic life sentence might deter some of these punks and oh by the way the same for these pigs that shine a red laser light towards pilot windows. This would be just the start of what is going to have to be well thought out but a firm offense which might include some form of airport laser system to knock these clowns out. Ya, I know this may be far fetched but with so many lives at stake some firm concept will need to be put together.

rnav2dlrey

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:56 pm

find the most agile helicopter available and have it knock down the drone with its prop wash.

TheDBCooper

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:26 pm

A drone doesn't need GPS to fly. They are fitted with all sorts of sensors that keep the flying stable, GPS is more about knowing it's position in the world. I am sure knee-jerk legislation will come, but I doubt it'll have any effect on those whose wish to use drones for nefarious purposes.

aklrno

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:06 am

Cigarette packs in New Zealand have gruesome photos of lung tumours on them. It would be enough to deter me from smoking if I were so inclined. Perhaps the same thing can be done with drone boxes. Photos of the cell you will be occupying if you misuse it, with perhaps another photo of the prisoner who will be your mate, and I don't mean friend. Much better than quoting the law.

simonriat

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:33 am

It costs £27,972 per year, in an open male prison (I think lowest category prison) (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 015-16.pdf) latest figures I could find.

How much did the disruption cost, both individuals, airlines, the airport, and security?

Is Prison/ Jail really the answer? Jailing them costing money to the taxpayer.

Fines? Do we really want to cripple the idiots financially, where probably they would have to rely on state benefits if we do go after them financially?

I think ban them from ever owning one again, with possibly a fine. I also like the idea all drones been registered.(though could get costly and difficult to administer)

Dont really have any answers with regard to how to actually deal with the drones once they up causing a nuissance.

Can we be thankful though and take positives from this incident. In that if it is to be believed it was some green nut jobs trying to cause major disruption, and not some terrorist nut jobs trying to do much more harm (although I now think that this door has been opened for them, how long before ISIS gets in on the act)

simonriat

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:35 am

It costs £27,972 per year, in an open male prison (I think lowest category prison) (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 015-16.pdf) latest figures I could find.

How much did the disruption cost, both to individuals, airlines, the airport, and security?

Fines? Do we really want to cripple the idiots financially, where probably they would have to rely on state benefits if we do go after them financially?

I think ban them from ever owning one again, with possibly a fine. I also like the idea all drones been registered.(though could get costly and difficult to administer)

Dont really have any answers with regard to how to actually deal with the drones once they are up causing a problem.

Can we be thankful though and take positives from this incident. In that if it is to be believed it was some green nut jobs trying to cause major disruption, and not some terrorist nut jobs trying to do much more harm (although I now think that this door has been opened for them, how long before ISIS gets in on the act).

spacecadet

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:37 am

N212R wrote:

For decades and decades, we relied on horses and buggies to get around. Who needs airplanes?

I mean, how far are you willing to take this? Times change. We all rely on cell phones now. That means the public, the airlines, and the airports. There's no point talking about how things used to be done. They are not done that way anymore.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

scootaway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:08 am

simonriat wrote:

How much did the disruption cost, both individuals, airlines, the airport, and security?

Dont really have any answers with regard to how to actually deal with the drones once they up causing a nuissance.

Can we be thankful though and take positives from this incident. In that if it is to be believed it was some green nut jobs trying to cause major disruption, and not some terrorist nut jobs trying to do much more harm (although I now think that this door has been opened for them, how long before ISIS gets in on the act)

The whole point of gaol is to send a message to others the community will not tolerate such behaviour.

Or at least the culprits will not do be able to physically pull off another act while they are squatting in the cell.

JayinKitsap

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:12 am

Blow the drones out of the sky if they are in closed air space. If they complain, provide them a bill for
$ 10K and 90 days in jail for flying the drone into the airspace. It will only take a few for the community to become aware that your drone will be lost.

flyingturtle

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:22 am

A drone with a pre-programmed route, to make it immune to jamming?

You could make it even more insidious. Relay the commands with data packets, in short bursts. Like ACARS. But on 118.95 MHz. It's LGW approach.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

peterinlisbon

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:56 am

simonriat wrote:

How much did the disruption cost, both to individuals, airlines, the airport, and security?

Dont really have any answers with regard to how to actually deal with the drones once they are up causing a problem.

Can we be thankful though and take positives from this incident. In that if it is to be believed it was some green nut jobs trying to cause major disruption, and not some terrorist nut jobs trying to do much more harm (although I now think that this door has been opened for them, how long before ISIS gets in on the act).

Right, but giving tiny penalties because we're scared of the cost of prison is only going to encourage people to break the law. The penalties need to be tough, otherwise this is going to happen every week. Perhaps we could outsource prisons to somewhere like Papua New Guinea and then instead of 27k we will only pay 500$ per year.

cesar666cu

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:57 am

They tried to trained eagles to take down drones.
https://www.google.fr/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/12/12/16767000/police-netherlands-eagles-rogue-drones

So how about drones designed to take down other drones ?

simonriat

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:07 pm

I didnt say I had the answer im just pretty sure that prison isnt one of them either. I wish I did have it.

If kids get up to these sorts of things, what good would prison do? They have similar problems with laser pointers. Also kids are not afraid of the law anymore. (or thats how it appears to me)

I also fly drones myself, and I consider myself a responsible owner, I know where I can and cannot fly. Maybe if these are the future, education and training?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos