Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 24823
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Saudi LCC pick 30 orders + 20 options 737MAX-8 seating 189.

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2018-12-21 ... 7-MAX-Jets

Image

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Du9fdT7UYAAZLsu.jpg:large


Currently an A320 operator.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
janders
Moderator
Posts: 1122
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Nice year end boost for Boeing.

Airbus likely believed they could keep them in the family.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:02 pm

This takes the cake for most budget-airline-sounding name of all the budget airlines.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88
 
bond787
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:25 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Maybe they can take some of the Max slots if Lion Air follows through on cancelling their large order.
 
SC430
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:55 pm

bond787 wrote:
Maybe they can take some of the Max slots if Lion Air follows through on cancelling their large order.


All bluster IMHO. Lion Air may defer, but not major cancellations
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 3642
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Interesting to see another airline flip from A320ceo to 737MAX. I believe that they are part of Saudia
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 pm

How are they going to fill all the planes... Flynas has 120 planes on orde (30 owned now) r, Flyadeal 50 (10 owned now) , then you have Saudi itself and saudi gulf with 16 planes flying domestic.
The Hajj market, while huge is very very competitive with lots of players.

it's a lot of planes for a not to large market. Is this a bubble?
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10907
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:04 am

FlyRow wrote:
How are they going to fill all the planes... Flynas has 120 planes on orde (30 owned now) r, Flyadeal 50 (10 owned now) , then you have Saudi itself and saudi gulf with 16 planes flying domestic.
The Hajj market, while huge is very very competitive with lots of players.

it's a lot of planes for a not to large market. Is this a bubble?

One thing Flyadeal has going for it is that it is government owned (being owned by Saudia).
 
Confuscius
Posts: 3717
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:29 am

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:49 am

Polot wrote:
One thing Flyadeal has going for it is that it is government owned (being owned by Saudia).


Could it be related to Individual-1's support for MBS?
Ain't I a stinker?
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3641
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:35 am

I would be surprised if the Airbus Flyadeal fleet did not move over to parent company Saudia. (Flyadeal has 9 planes with 2 more due), ending the last leased passenger capacity operations at Saudia (currently 9 A332/A333 planes leased from Onur Air at 230t or 233t MTOW).

Flyadeal would transition to a B38M operation exclusively with a Y189 seat configuration on its planes. The additional planes would allow Flyadeal to expand into international markets. I'd be surprised if Flyadeal exercised the options, but stranger things have happened. The bigger question would be if Flynas took all the planes it has on order. (A similar airline in the region, Air Arabia, operates across several AOCs.) Great deal for Boeing to get back into the region with narrow-body aircraft after Airbus secured a large lease from Saudia prior (30 A320ceo and 20 A330-300 Regional directly as lessor via IAFC).
 
CX747
Posts: 6299
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Congratulations to Flyadeal and Boeing. I'm not one for purple but that livery is fantastic!!! Can't wait to see it roll off the line at Renton.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
Antarius
Posts: 2754
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Boeing has picked up 80 orders and 70 options in the last couple of days.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
Chaostheory
Posts: 1159
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
Interesting to see another airline flip from A320ceo to 737MAX. I believe that they are part of Saudia


LOL. I thought you worked in the industry?

Meaningless when you consider this procurement decision was taken without Board approval. The MDs, jungle jets and initial tranche of 777s were similarly procured without consultation.

Rank and authority mean everything in that part of the world. When the telephone rings and someone higher than you tells you to do something, you do it.
 
chiad
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Antarius wrote:
Boeing has picked up 80 orders and 70 options in the last couple of days.


What orders are you refering to?
 
Antarius
Posts: 2754
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:33 pm

chiad wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Boeing has picked up 80 orders and 70 options in the last couple of days.


What orders are you refering to?


This one is 30+20 and the Green Africa one is 50 + 50.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
Antarius
Posts: 2754
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Chaostheory wrote:
Meaningless when you consider this procurement decision was taken without Board approval.


You know this for a fact?
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
Chaostheory
Posts: 1159
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Antarius wrote:
Chaostheory wrote:
Meaningless when you consider this procurement decision was taken without Board approval.


You know this for a fact?


Yes.

No heads up whatsoever.

The airline has its hands full with 777x planning, not enough pilots and cadets and with 2020 round the corner, it's going to get worse. I'm gone next year so not my problem.

One step forward and two steps back with this place.
 
smartplane
Posts: 1574
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Antarius wrote:
chiad wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Boeing has picked up 80 orders and 70 options in the last couple of days.


What orders are you refering to?


This one is 30+20 and the Green Africa one is 50 + 50.

They are both commitments to order. Not an unconditional order. Not a conditional order.

An intention to order. The prospective buyer still has to negotiate price, delivery, finance and other terms and conditions, as well as obtain their Board approval.

Commitments are usually broken down into tranches (say purchases of 5 or 10 but can be as low as a single unit), for which each of the above are negotiated / arranged.

So for example, this transaction within 12 months, may consist of an unconditional order for 10, conditional order for 11-20, and the final 10 might still be a commitment.

Always a flurry of commitments late in the calendar year. Feels good for OEM's and airlines (including staff and customers), and gets financiers and leasing companies excited about next year's prospects.
 
Strato2
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Of course this deal was always going to Boeing. Germany stopped selling arms to Saudi's after Khashoggi murder so no way would they give Airbus any deal.
 
Chaostheory
Posts: 1159
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Strato2 wrote:
Of course this deal was always going to Boeing. Germany stopped selling arms to Saudi's after Khashoggi murder so no way would they give Airbus any deal.


:checkmark:

Until the US pressured them to drop the effort last week, the UK and others were also requesting an investigation into Saudi actions in the Yemeni conflict.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2497
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Chaostheory wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Chaostheory wrote:
Meaningless when you consider this procurement decision was taken without Board approval.


You know this for a fact?


Yes.

No heads up whatsoever.

The airline has its hands full with 777x planning, not enough pilots and cadets and with 2020 round the corner, it's going to get worse. I'm gone next year so not my problem.

One step forward and two steps back with this place.


Well, you just threw out interesting news (777X planning)....since we were not aware of any 777Xs on order.
 
chiad
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:49 pm

smartplane wrote:
Antarius wrote:
chiad wrote:

What orders are you refering to?


This one is 30+20 and the Green Africa one is 50 + 50.

They are both commitments to order. Not an unconditional order. Not a conditional order.

An intention to order. The prospective buyer still has to negotiate price, delivery, finance and other terms and conditions, as well as obtain their Board approval.

Commitments are usually broken down into tranches (say purchases of 5 or 10 but can be as low as a single unit), for which each of the above are negotiated / arranged.

So for example, this transaction within 12 months, may consist of an unconditional order for 10, conditional order for 11-20, and the final 10 might still be a commitment.

Always a flurry of commitments late in the calendar year. Feels good for OEM's and airlines (including staff and customers), and gets financiers and leasing companies excited about next year's prospects.


Exactly.
It's a great chance that some of these commitments will become orders, but probably not all, and certainly not in 2018.
 
smartplane
Posts: 1574
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:27 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Chaostheory wrote:
The airline has its hands full with 777x planning, not enough pilots and cadets and with 2020 round the corner, it's going to get worse.


Well, you just threw out interesting news (777X planning)....since we were not aware of any 777Xs on order.

If hands full with 777X planning, must be taking early deliveries of 779 from an existing customer, suggesting agreement with an airline with existing conditional order, OEM (restraints unless leased from original customer) and Saudia.

Could it be Etihad? Negotiated parallel with the recent code share? Same alliance. Is Skyteam poised to make the first foray into aircraft ownership / lease (most progressive - CORSIA, future opportunities)? Could DL operate a Skyteam 777X in the not too distant future? Or is this an early April 1?
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 20610
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:38 pm

Antarius wrote:
Boeing has picked up 80 orders and 70 options in the last couple of days.

Good for Boeing. Since often options are not excercise, I prefer firm + options to denote.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2497
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:04 pm

smartplane wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Chaostheory wrote:
The airline has its hands full with 777x planning, not enough pilots and cadets and with 2020 round the corner, it's going to get worse.


Well, you just threw out interesting news (777X planning)....since we were not aware of any 777Xs on order.

If hands full with 777X planning, must be taking early deliveries of 779 from an existing customer, suggesting agreement with an airline with existing conditional order, OEM (restraints unless leased from original customer) and Saudia.

Could it be Etihad? Negotiated parallel with the recent code share? Same alliance. Is Skyteam poised to make the first foray into aircraft ownership / lease (most progressive - CORSIA, future opportunities)? Could DL operate a Skyteam 777X in the not too distant future? Or is this an early April 1?


Since when is Etihad in SkyTeam? Also, no to all of the foregoing.
 
Aviationman777
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:12 am

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:22 am

I disagree,
The fleet must be from one maker
But maybe in Airbus The production line is full
Saudi flyadeal prefers to receive the aircraft quickly .
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3641
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Saudi flyadeal commits for up to 50 737MAX-8s

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Aviationman777 wrote:
I disagree,
The fleet must be from one maker
But maybe in Airbus The production line is full
Saudi flyadeal prefers to receive the aircraft quickly .


The question remains if this will be completely a direct order or some from lessors. This likely does 2 things:

1. Makes F3 an all-B38M operator (the existing A320s move to parent SV)
2. Ends all leased capacity at SV, rationalizing its passenger fleet around 5 models: A320, A321, A333 (Regional), B77W (2-class with 413 seats and 3-class with 292 seats), and B789.

The only future orders for SV for the foreseeable future would be for freighters (to replace leased freighter capacity, a top-up B777F order is possible at the end of the line or new-build B763 frames could be ordered for shorter regional freight) OR VIP frames to replace some of their old VIP planes (their VIP fleet still has B74S, B743, and A342 - the first and last A342 - aircraft in it, although the VIP fleet recently added a B77W).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos