Akiestar
Topic Author

PR restarts DEL; launches HAN and PNH

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:29 am

So PR's new international timetable is out, and while there are a lot of changes afoot, these three seem to stand out the most:

MNL-DEL (resumption; 4x weekly)
MNL-HAN (new; 4x weekly)
MNL-PNH (new; 5x weekly)

DEL and HAN will begin March 31, 2019, while PNH begins April 1.

PR has certainly hinted at returning to India for the last year, and I hope the non-stop is more successful than the tag-on from BKK. But HAN and PNH are completely new markets, and while I see demand from Filipino tourists going to Vietnam and Cambodia, I'm also curious if PR will also be able to capture connecting traffic from those markets.

Either way, these are exciting times indeed for PR in the region.

smi0006

Re: PR restarts DEL; launches HAN and PNH

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:09 am

What equipment are these routes being flown with? The 321s seem well suited for PR to open up regional routes. I’m always impressed when I see their 321s in SYD/MEL - going to MNL!

flyingdoc787

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:30 am

DEL flight timings don’t allow for much connectivity to Australia or US/Canada, and for that matter anywhere else.
PAL still seems disinterested in building up MNL as a transfer hub. In the first place, they would need to upgrade existing infrastructure, especially now that their flights are spread across three terminals!

Akiestar
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:53 am

smi0006 wrote:
What equipment are these routes being flown with? The 321s seem well suited for PR to open up regional routes. I’m always impressed when I see their 321s in SYD/MEL - going to MNL!

The A321 would help PR achieve double-daily rotations on MNL-SYD, although I imagine HAN and PNH being launched with the A320 while some older destinations would be upgauged.

flyingdoc787 wrote:
DEL flight timings don’t allow for much connectivity to Australia or US/Canada, and for that matter anywhere else.
PAL still seems disinterested in building up MNL as a transfer hub. In the first place, they would need to upgrade existing infrastructure, especially now that their flights are spread across three terminals!

It might be slots. MNL is congested, for one, and there may not be slots available for more optimal connection times.

I strongly disagree though that PR isn't interested in building up MNL as a transfer hub. They've been promoting MNL as a transfer hub for at least the last couple of years, and there are investments being made in infrastructure, particularly at Terminal 2. PR has also run inter-terminal transfers for its passengers for the last few years, so especially for international-international transfers, it should be much more pleasant than, let's say, ten years ago.

Antarius

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:43 am

flyingdoc787 wrote:

I dont see the reason for every airline to build a hub. There are a boatload of hubs in the vicinity including CAN, HKG, SIN etc.

PAL could be very successful filling a specific market without trying to be everything to everyone. Much like the weekly threads on WN going TATL - why?
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

Akiestar
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:10 am

Antarius wrote:
PAL could be very successful filling a specific market without trying to be everything to everyone. Much like the weekly threads on WN going TATL - why?

I see four potential markets for MNL-DEL:

* MNL's growing Indian population, many of whom are businesspeople
* Tourists (Filipinos can get Indian e-visas, and Indians have visa-free privileges if they have US/EU/AU/NZ/SG/Schengen visas)
* Indian business executives, given the growth of Indian businesses in the Philippines (Tata, Mahindra, etc.)
* Transfer passengers

The first three are great for O/D, but I think transfer passengers can be accommodated given the current schedule. Lucio Tan does own hotels, and PR can billet transfer passengers on long layovers there, especially U.S.-bound Indians.

Akiestar
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 am

Okay, PR has just released its official press release for the launch of all three routes, and this bit about DEL is surprising:

"PAL is targeting April 2019 as the start of the New Delhi service subject to final slot and operational clearances with the Indian authorities. The new route is slated to run four times weekly nonstop between Manila and New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport using brand-new Airbus A321neo aircraft."

The timetable is saying one thing, but the official press release is saying another, especially as in the same release it gave exact schedules for HAN and PNH. I wonder if this means that the schedule could yet change.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos