C010T3
Topic Author
Posts: 1956
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:23 pm

LATAM has issued a communication to travel agents informing that both GIG-MIA and GIG-MCO routes will cease to be operated.

With the end of IATA Winter 2018/2019 season, long-haul flying by LATAM Brazil at GIG will be history.

In Portuguese: https://www.latamtrade.com/pt_br/comuni ... o_Miami_pg
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 6788
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:49 pm

So, AA will be the only airline flying nonstop from GIG to MIA? Seems surprising as only 1 flight a day is operated by AA (during low season), 2 at the moment.
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
Antarius
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:00 pm

chepos wrote:
So, AA will be the only airline flying nonstop from GIG to MIA? Seems surprising as only 1 flight a day is operated by AA (during low season), 2 at the moment.


Even AA is paring down service to GIG. DFW got cut, JFK is seasonal IIRC.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN
 
winGl3t
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Service from Rio to North America will be limited to 3 daily: AA GIG-MIA, DL GIG-ATL, UA GIG-IAH. What a pitty!
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1574
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Time for Norwegian to add GIG-MCO :P
@DadCelo
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:48 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Time for Norwegian to add GIG-MCO :P

Azul or Avianca will soon (my guess). Delta could as well I suppose, although they are ending their GRU-MCO leg in March
-Andrés Juánez
 
User avatar
SDUMIA
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:52 pm

That’s a shame, I’ve flown MIA-GIG-MIA on LATAM 6 times this year. Strangely, recently they have been operating Chilean registered 767-300 (with Brazilian crew) which has an older interior and IFE compared to Brazilian registered 767-300. I wonder why they are using these aircraft for this route.
AA fares to GIG are usually more expensive than LATAM, with lack of other options they’ll make $$$$ on this route.

I recently flew Azul FLL-VCP-SDU, great product. Wonder if they would ever try a direct flight to GIG.
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:03 pm

winGl3t wrote:
Service from Rio to North America will be limited to 3 daily: AA GIG-MIA, DL GIG-ATL, UA GIG-IAH. What a pitty!


AA continues to fly to GIG with daily flights from JFK
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG
 
dcajet
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:04 pm

SDUMIA wrote:
. Strangely, recently they have been operating Chilean registered 767-300 (with Brazilian crew) which has an older interior and IFE compared to Brazilian registered 767-300. I wonder why they are using these aircraft for this route.


Brazil recently authorized the use of non PP/PT/PR registered planes on Brazilian airlines' flights. LATAM earlier this year discontinued (for the most part - then the Trent 1000 issues unfolded) 767 flying at LATAM Chile, so some of those are now rotating to LATAM Brazil. 767 flying in Chile has been replaced by the 787,
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
dcajet
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:18 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
winGl3t wrote:
Service from Rio to North America will be limited to 3 daily: AA GIG-MIA, DL GIG-ATL, UA GIG-IAH. What a pitty!


AA continues to fly to GIG with daily flights from JFK


I think those are seasonal in the summer only.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 pm

dcajet wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
winGl3t wrote:
Service from Rio to North America will be limited to 3 daily: AA GIG-MIA, DL GIG-ATL, UA GIG-IAH. What a pitty!


AA continues to fly to GIG with daily flights from JFK


I think those are seasonal in the summer only.

No, American operates throughout the year, Delta operates JFK-GIG but that is seasonal
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG
 
Antarius
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:40 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

AA continues to fly to GIG with daily flights from JFK


I think those are seasonal in the summer only.

No, American operates throughout the year, Delta operates JFK-GIG but that is seasonal


As of 2019, AA 973 and 974 will become seasonal as well.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:45 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

AA continues to fly to GIG with daily flights from JFK


I think those are seasonal in the summer only.

No, American operates throughout the year, Delta operates JFK-GIG but that is seasonal


No, American is going seasonal on JFK-GIG from March 2019.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I think those are seasonal in the summer only.

No, American operates throughout the year, Delta operates JFK-GIG but that is seasonal


No, American is going seasonal on JFK-GIG from March 2019.


I thought so.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
HALFA
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:24 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I think those are seasonal in the summer only.

No, American operates throughout the year, Delta operates JFK-GIG but that is seasonal


No, American is going seasonal on JFK-GIG from March 2019.


If American is going "seasonal" from March, what exactly does that mean? Reduction in weekly frequencies or elimination of the route until later in the year? Could anyone elaborate please? I use this route quite often! Thanks!
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........
 
Antarius
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:06 pm

HALFA wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
No, American operates throughout the year, Delta operates JFK-GIG but that is seasonal


No, American is going seasonal on JFK-GIG from March 2019.


If American is going "seasonal" from March, what exactly does that mean? Reduction in weekly frequencies or elimination of the route until later in the year? Could anyone elaborate please? I use this route quite often! Thanks!


It will stop operating after March. It will resume the following December.

Your best bet will be going via GRU or MIA.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Remind me: does AA and LATAM have a JV on this route?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:47 pm

vhtje wrote:
Remind me: does AA and LATAM have a JV on this route?


I believe it has been approved by the Brazilian authorities, so AA's routes to MIA and JFK from GIG should be covered by it. The JV is still under "discussions" in Chile.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
LAXtoATL
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:55 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:06 am

dcajet wrote:
vhtje wrote:
Remind me: does AA and LATAM have a JV on this route?


I believe it has been approved by the Brazilian authorities, so AA's routes to MIA and JFK from GIG should be covered by it. The JV is still under "discussions" in Chile.


No JV in place.
The U.S. has not approved yet, was waiting for all South American authorities to approve before they reviewed the application.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4116
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:10 am

LAXtoATL wrote:
dcajet wrote:
vhtje wrote:
Remind me: does AA and LATAM have a JV on this route?


I believe it has been approved by the Brazilian authorities, so AA's routes to MIA and JFK from GIG should be covered by it. The JV is still under "discussions" in Chile.


No JV in place.
The U.S. has not approved yet, was waiting for all South American authorities to approve before they reviewed the application.


Gotcha. I believe Chile's TDC has ok'd it but the conditions were so draconian that LATAM was reviewing its options. Have they come to an agreement, perhaps?
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
soflaflyer
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:52 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Time for Norwegian to add GIG-MCO :P


Doesn't sound like Norwegian has a dime to add anything if you trust Reuters.
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:34 am

Has the crime situation improved in Rio? Beautiful city.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5388
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:19 am

What ever happened with the idea of making BSB a secondary hub for LATAM focused on domestic destinations in Brazil?

Or there is no need for the moment with the reduction in traffic at GRU?
 
C010T3
Topic Author
Posts: 1956
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:43 am

BSB has been a domestic hub for JJ for years since before the merger.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:28 pm

HALFA wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
No, American operates throughout the year, Delta operates JFK-GIG but that is seasonal


No, American is going seasonal on JFK-GIG from March 2019.


If American is going "seasonal" from March, what exactly does that mean? Reduction in weekly frequencies or elimination of the route until later in the year? Could anyone elaborate please? I use this route quite often! Thanks!


JFK-GIG (AA) will operate during the Southern Hemisphere spring/summer only from 2019 and on the shoulder periods, bookending each season start/finish, the route will not be daily, but 5 x per week.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:31 pm

The AA schedule change on GIG leaves them with just LHR, GRU, EZE, MAD, CDG, BCN, MXP as year round, international destinations from JFK.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:36 pm

GIG as at least a focus city is something that could be operated with something like the A321LR to overcome trash yields. The problem for GIG is that Brazil's capital capital is served by GRU. If B6 upgrades part of its A321neo to the A321LR, or waits for the A321XLR, it could serve this route with a narrow-body plane and possibly partner with AD.
 
C010T3
Topic Author
Posts: 1956
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Trash yields are being generated by non-GIG/GRU flights. GIG is paying the price for the unsustainable strategy of launching several flights from FOR, BSB etc.
That came on top of the GRU-JFK/MIA flights that were launched by O6 which are do not have very healthy loads.
Another phenomenon is the fact that the GIG-originated demand to North America is not as concentrated in Florida and New York as from other points in Brazil, which means that MIA and JFK are not as important as gateways.
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2812
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:55 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
Time for Norwegian to add GIG-MCO :P

Azul or Avianca will soon (my guess). Delta could as well I suppose, although they are ending their GRU-MCO leg in March


Avianca has other problems right now. Azul is also far from a given.
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
The AA schedule change on GIG leaves them with just LHR, GRU, EZE, MAD, CDG, BCN, MXP as year round, international destinations from JFK.


I can see BCN and MXP being cut next.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: LATAM Brazil retreats from GIG as long-haul gateway

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:31 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
The AA schedule change on GIG leaves them with just LHR, GRU, EZE, MAD, CDG, BCN, MXP as year round, international destinations from JFK.


I can see BCN and MXP being cut next.


Not sure about either, but MXP would most likely move to PHL which is AA's primary TATL gateway. BCN is a code-share flight with IB but Level is starting JFK flights so if that's the case, then maybe yes....but in the past AA has operated 2 x BCN flights at peak times, so it could remain.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos