rainaviation
Topic Author

MSP Seasonal Beach Routes Begin!

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Here it goes! The mass exodus out of the midwest for the winter has begun! SY is now operating to all of it's beach destinations, as is DL, for the season and the flightaware map of MSP has turned blue and green with planes headed south!

New routes this year for people wanting to escape the cold: BZE, SKB, expanded service to LIR. I wonder when STT ans SXM will make their return to MSP? SY and DL have both said that it would be this year but that did not happen as they don't believe the islands are ready for travel yet.

Will SXM and STT return next year?

Also interesting to note, DL is running a fleet of all A321 aircraft to CUN this year. Previous years has seen many different types of aircraft used but I guess they wanted to keep it uniform for travelers to their top winter destination from MSP...

Zidane

Re: MSP Seasonal Beach Routes Begin!

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:33 pm

I'd absolutely love to see a service to UVF next.

MSPSXMFLIER

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:54 pm

rainaviation wrote:
Here it goes! The mass exodus out of the midwest for the winter has begun! SY is now operating to all of it's beach destinations, as is DL, for the season and the flightaware map of MSP has turned blue and green with planes headed south!

New routes this year for people wanting to escape the cold: BZE, SKB, expanded service to LIR. I wonder when STT ans SXM will make their return to MSP? SY and DL have both said that it would be this year but that did not happen as they don't believe the islands are ready for travel yet.

Will SXM and STT return next year?

Also interesting to note, DL is running a fleet of all A321 aircraft to CUN this year. Previous years has seen many different types of aircraft used but I guess they wanted to keep it uniform for travelers to their top winter destination from MSP...

On my last SY flight in September, I talked with one of the flight attendants about service to SXM and STT for this winter and she mentioned that SY would be skipping those two destinations for this season because of the airline's belief that those islands weren't ready for tourism yet. At that time, SKB was not yet announced, but my guess would be that they still wanted a destination in that area to serve and it would be new service that if it performed well, could be kept for years to come.

I'm not sure when Delta said they would return to SXM, but I can confirm that I'm booked on DL for SXM in February.

chepos

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:59 pm

DL is scheduled to resume MSP SJU today
Fly the Flag!!!!

lavalampluva

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:41 pm

They have sufficient winter loads to HNL. I wonder how they would to to OGG or KOA.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:43 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
They have sufficient winter loads to HNL. I wonder how they would to to OGG or KOA.

Do they have anything other than the 77L that can do OGG-MSP? I haven’t looked closely at runway performance numbers for the 332 (though those are pretty heavily utilized). The 333 would have a hard time.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

lavalampluva

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Do they have anything other than the 77L that can do OGG-MSP? I haven’t looked closely at runway performance numbers for the 332 (though those are pretty heavily utilized). The 333 would have a hard time.

OGG gets a 772 from ORD, I didn’t think it was possible with a runway just under 7000’. KOA is possible as well, they do get a JL 763 from NRT.

LightChop2Chop

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:22 pm

MSP BZE went out packed to the gills. Don’t know about SKB. You can see some pics of the BZE arrival on 9Ns and the Belize Tourism Board’s FB pages

rainaviation
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Zidane wrote:
I'd absolutely love to see a service to UVF next.

That would be a great nonstop add.

rainaviation
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:44 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
MSP BZE went out packed to the gills. Don’t know about SKB. You can see some pics of the BZE arrival on 9Ns and the Belize Tourism Board’s FB pages

I know someone that flew MSP-SKB today and they said it was a packed full flight as well. Any airline could fill a flight from MSP to anywhere south of Florida in the winter! Great adds for SY, I am sure they will be very profitable.

chepos

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:32 am

lavalampluva wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

OGG gets a 772 from ORD, I didn’t think it was possible with a runway just under 7000’. KOA is possible as well, they do get a JL 763 from NRT.

KOA and OGG get the 772 from DFW as well.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Cubsrule

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:46 am

chepos wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

KOA and OGG get the 772 from DFW as well.

Both correct. The 77Es are so old and the fleet so small that I forgot DL had them, but they ought to be able to do OGG-MSP too.

ibthebigd

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:13 am

Why no 767 to OGG? Why a 777 needed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lavalampluva

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:28 am

ibthebigd wrote:

767 has plenty range and would be even easier to fill. Of course this is just spitballing, but a seasonal would be a nice fit.

FlyHappy

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:30 am

lavalampluva wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

The simple solution with any craft is to route it OGG/KOA - HNL - MSP ; add fuel in HNL. But that's just not DL's MO...

Cubsrule

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:48 am

ibthebigd wrote:

Just spitballing rough numbers: the 763ER can get out of OGG at around 340,000 pounds depending on temperature. I don’t have a DL-Specific ZFW (maybe someone does) but 270,000 pounds is a good guess, leaving about 70,000 pounds for fuel. 9,000 pounds/hour of fuel burn is another good guess, giving a hair under 8 hours of flying time, or about 7 with 45 minutes extra. HNL-MSP was in the air for 7:10 yesterday. It might be doable some days, but not reliably and certainly not if MSP has foul weather and they need to carry an alternate.

lavalampluva

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:18 am

Cubsrule wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

Just spitballing rough numbers: the 763ER can get out of OGG at around 340,000 pounds depending on temperature. I don’t have a DL-Specific ZFW (maybe someone does) but 270,000 pounds is a good guess, leaving about 70,000 pounds for fuel. 9,000 pounds/hour of fuel burn is another good guess, giving a hair under 8 hours of flying time, or about 7 with 45 minutes extra. HNL-MSP was in the air for 7:10 yesterday. It might be doable some days, but not reliably and certainly not if MSP has foul weather and they need to carry an alternate.

What about a 764? They’ve flow those to HNL. OGG and KOA aren’t much further.

Cubsrule

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:31 am

lavalampluva wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

Again these numbers are rough but the 764ER can get out of OGG at about 380,000 pounds, depending on temperature. It's about 50,000 pounds heavier than the 763ER and burns more fuel, so it is going to have significantly less range. SLC is probably okay on either airplane (DL does it on the 763ER every day); MSP is probably not doable on either.

lavalampluva

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:05 am

Cubsrule wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Again these numbers are rough but the 764ER can get out of OGG at about 380,000 pounds, depending on temperature. It's about 50,000 pounds heavier than the 763ER and burns more fuel, so it is going to have significantly less range. SLC is probably okay on either airplane (DL does it on the 763ER every day); MSP is probably not doable on either.

JL uses a 763 on KOA-NRT, which is 30 miles further. But you’re probably right.

Cubsrule

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:29 am

lavalampluva wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

JL uses a 763 on KOA-NRT, which is 30 miles further. But you’re probably right.

KOA has 4,000 feet more runway.

TropicalSky

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:46 am

I believe MSP has MYNN/NAS Saturday seasonal only service for winter,along with DTW

rainaviation
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:09 am

TropicalSky wrote:
I believe MSP has MYNN/NAS Saturday seasonal only service for winter,along with DTW

Yes, DL does have Saturday service to NAS. SY dropped this route a few years back, I have always wondered why.

lavalampluva

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:49 am

rainaviation wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

Yes, DL does have Saturday service to NAS. SY dropped this route a few years back, I have always wondered why.

I suppose part of it is they had only so many aircraft. They added routes were the $$$ was better. But th new owners seem more driven to adding tobthe fleet.

TropicalSky

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Nope SY is still plying this route seasonally along side DAL on Saturday

rainaviation
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:28 pm

TropicalSky wrote:
Nope SY is still plying this route seasonally along side DAL on Saturday

No, NAS does not even show up on their website, it is no longer a SY destination. They serve: AUA, MBJ, PUJ, SJU and SKB in the Caribbean now.

TropicalSky

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks for the correction

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos